Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

cycling and smoking: my confessions

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old June 15th, 2009, 01:05 PM
fullofdays
Hookah Newbie

Default cycling and smoking: my confessions

I am a new hookah smoker and recently began road cycling for overall fun and fitness. I have been rather hesitant about smoking for the past 2 weeks. I have started training for fitness and fun and have to say that my initial hookah buzz has turned into a buzzkill. Does anyone on the forum also cycle/run? I'm not a 2 bowl a day type of smoker and prefer a weekend relaxing smoke, but my riding will suffer for sure with any smoking I dont know what to do here. I guess it's time to sell the AF pipe I just bought. This bums me out but I think its for the best
Old June 15th, 2009, 01:08 PM
esteban
Hookah Pro

Default Re: cycling and smoking: my confessions

Just an example: Zidane smoked and he is one of the best footballers ever.

Think jayrunner runs, judging by his name and sig.
Old June 15th, 2009, 01:20 PM
Matt-641
Hookah Pro

Now that it's nice out most of the time, I go out for bike rides with my friends about once or twice a week...Then we'll go back to one of our houses and smoke the hookah

The way I figure it is that it's still healthier for you than not getting excercise and still smoking. Plus smoking the hookah shouldn't impair your ability to do physical activities much, if at all. So long as you don't smoke like 10 times a day, you should be fine.
Old June 15th, 2009, 01:30 PM
JimNibbles
Hookah Nut

Just don't smoke right before doing physical activities. I learned this after smoking for two hours then going to mow my lawn. I was so short of breath...it sucked bad and I'm in pretty good shape.
Old June 15th, 2009, 01:50 PM
chadtizzle
Hookah Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to chadtizzle

i believe jay runs like 10 miles a day and runs a marathon once a month if i'm not mistaken...and when he's not running he's smoking hookah so...i don't know, if you feel yourself starting to slow down then just quit for awhile.
Old June 15th, 2009, 01:50 PM
Shienhausser
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Shienhausser

I ride for an hour every day, I also smoke hookah about an hour a day (maybe 5-6 days a week.).

I do it primarily for fitness but its nice to get out of the house.
Old June 15th, 2009, 01:55 PM
mack65401
Hookah Newbie

I think it affects everybody differently. I do smoke about a bowl a day, which lasts a solid two hours and I don't see any negative effects in any physical activity. I play full court basketball almost everyday and do not notice any difference in my performance.
________
Best way to use iolite vaporizer

Last edited by mack65401; May 5th, 2011 at 06:07 AM.
Old June 15th, 2009, 01:56 PM
slick_johnson
Hookah Pro

I only smoke a couple times a week, but I go on pretty long mountain bike trail rides on the weekends.
Old June 15th, 2009, 01:57 PM
Trivial
Banned

Well for overall fun and fitness you don't have to stop smoking hookah... it's not like your competing

And you don't need to sell your hookah you just got... they last for years and who knows how long you will cycle for.

Personally it seems you get to caught up in one thing and make that you only passion.
If so.. I am the same way lol... Parents tell me I have OCD
Old June 15th, 2009, 02:00 PM
phatpride1
Hookah Pro

I was a three spot athlete and smoked my hookah all the time. I never over did it, one bowl max when smoking. My real downfall from sports has to be drinking. Smoking i felt fine but drinking takes it out of you. Every time i binge drink felt like i was starting all over again.
Old June 15th, 2009, 02:24 PM
Spiller
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trivial View Post
Well for overall fun and fitness you don't have to stop smoking hookah... it's not like your competing

And you don't need to sell your hookah you just got... they last for years and who knows how long you will cycle for.

Personally it seems you get to caught up in one thing and make that you only passion.
If so.. I am the same way lol... Parents tell me I have OCD

I just wanted to say that.
Totally my opinion.

Btw, what's OCD ?
Old June 15th, 2009, 02:31 PM
Shienhausser
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Shienhausser

I am OCD haha I drove my co-workers CRAZY.

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, spiller.
Old June 15th, 2009, 03:19 PM
Coldgr33ntea
Hookah Enthusiast

Yes, i just started mountain biking, and i have also been running around 2 miles, 3-4 days a week for the past 6 months. I started hookah a little over a year ago, ive had breaks of smoking and not smoking, but i only notice a difference if i smoke right before.

Quite honestly, there is nothing better than relaxing after a hard day of school and running, without hookah, i dont think i would have stuck to it this long.
Old June 15th, 2009, 04:32 PM
DeezNuts
Hookah Nut

definately effects everyone differently. I've always been very athletic. in high school i was an athlete of all seasons and weight trained religiously during and off seasons. I also smoked the hookah and it didnt really affect me. now a college student im still quite active with weight training, cardio and rec sports and i smoke hookah now than I did before. for alil while i thought smoking was affecting me but it was me just not being as active, just needed to bring the ole stamina back.
Old June 19th, 2009, 03:26 AM
jayrunner89
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to jayrunner89

i was a competitive collegiate runner till last year(had some injuries that made me stop) and hope to be competing again soon. till three weeks ago i was running about 50 miles a week on 6 days running i hurt my foot jumping off a trampoline so i have not been running. but i have not noticed any side effect beside when i smoke right before i run but it usually goes away after mile 1. Been smoking for about a year and i have got slower but thats due to injuries, my breathing still feels the same its just the shin pain that slows me down so i would not worry to much about it
Old June 19th, 2009, 03:42 AM
cbyerspace
Hookah Nut

I wouldn't see why you would have to stop, i use to ride about 6 miles a day when I lived with my parents who were cigarette smokers, and honestly I could smoke a bowl of shisha and go out and still feel healthier than I did just by being around cigarette smoke, the thing is, it only effects you for a short period, the longterm is nowhere near the same, that being said, hit up the hookah when you get back from cycling, and you'll be fine by the next day, giving you the best of both worlds...
Old June 20th, 2009, 01:40 AM
MN_Clouds
Hookah Newbie

i ran competitively in high school, and I am still an avid runner with a hookah habit now. I personally have experienced a bit of difficultly breathing while going on long runs. I think the mental aspect is huge when it comes to smoking + exercise. the power of the mind is the key. those long runs are when I have plenty of time to reflect on how my lifestyle choices affect my physical condition, which could contribute to the feeling of decreased fitness.
Old June 20th, 2009, 02:17 AM
ChronicHookah
Banned

i would have to say it will depend on several things, obviosuly how much you smoke, but also, what tobacco do you use and what coals. I prefer everything natural, that's why i stick with natural coals and i stay away from the more artificial brands of shisha. i don't want to name brands for the sake of advertising but shisha with a lot of dyes and artificial colors that make my throat tickle after 15 minutes are something i stay away from.
John
Old June 20th, 2009, 03:04 AM
D-Szlos
Hookah Pro

Ive been smoking cigarettes habitually since i was 16 (24 now) and i wrestled as a sport, which is highly cardio intensive, and it never effected me that i noticed. Im a wrestling coach now and i still dont feel it hold me back.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook