Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Bowl Filling

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old June 29th, 2009, 07:44 PM
pliundemix
Hookah Newbie

Send a message via MSN to pliundemix
Default Bowl Filling

Can anyone tell me where can I find any videos or post the links of videos that show a good bowl filling (A really neat and accurate one) of a MYA Bowl, for a MYA QT Hookah??

I don't know if I'm being to "precise" about what I want with the video but I really want a good explanation because the times I've done hookah with my friend they've been the ones that have filled the bowl. BUT now I have my own hookah....the little MYA QT...but I really want to get the most of first experiences so I can keep on learning and eventually make my own choices...

Please a good basic accurate tutory is what I need to start off with the right foot....and in a near future get a bigger better Hookah...

Thanks!!

J
Old June 29th, 2009, 07:51 PM
xHARRYxCOLONx
Hookah Nut

Default Re: Bowl Filling

just lightly sprinkle it in the bowl spread it around but dont pack it in, make sure its just a little under the rim of the bowl. put the foil shiny side down and poke random holes all around with a tooth pick or tac. light ur coals (make sure theres no more black) and ut them on the edge of the bowl not in the middle and enjoy.
Old June 30th, 2009, 12:00 AM
Royal2000H
Hookah Nut

I agree with harry... except i do rings of holes not just random. It's more of a consistency thing. It doesn't really make a difference though.
Old June 30th, 2009, 08:49 PM
pliundemix
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by xHARRYxCOLONx View Post
just lightly sprinkle it in the bowl spread it around but dont pack it in, make sure its just a little under the rim of the bowl. put the foil shiny side down and poke random holes all around with a tooth pick or tac. light ur coals (make sure theres no more black) and ut them on the edge of the bowl not in the middle and enjoy.
Hey harry sorry if I'm being too bitchy but what do you mean when you say "but dont pack it in", and when u say "make sure its just a little under the rim of the bowl." please be more graphic about this since I'm not a native american some things I don't understand them so well...

I'd appreciate ur help..
Old June 30th, 2009, 09:05 PM
xHARRYxCOLONx
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by pliundemix View Post
Hey harry sorry if I'm being too bitchy but what do you mean when you say "but dont pack it in", and when u say "make sure its just a little under the rim of the bowl." please be more graphic about this since I'm not a native american some things I don't understand them so well...

I'd appreciate ur help..
when u "pack" the bowl your not really packing it in just sprinkling it in and not pushing it down into the bowl (as in actually "packing" it haha kinda backwards). if you fill the bowl to the rim or above it the foil will touch the tobacco when you put the coals on and start to burn it wich makes it harsh, not taste nice, and make you cough.
Old June 30th, 2009, 09:06 PM
Matt-641
Hookah Pro

He means don't just put in a bunch of shisha and push it down tightly, you want to take a little bit of it at a time and lightly drop it in making sure it's distributed in the bowl evenly (or darn close to it). Here's a video that should help a bit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ke0BRXUy_Rk

You can go on youtube and type in "how to pack shisha" or "how to pack a hookah bowl" and you'll find a lot of useful videos.
Old June 30th, 2009, 09:59 PM
pliundemix
Hookah Newbie

Thanks guys for the info...REALLY APPRECIATE IT..but just a final question...the bowls all have holes and the shisha might slip through there and go down the stem..right??
Old June 30th, 2009, 10:01 PM
FeliFeliWooo
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to FeliFeliWooo

no itl be fine =]
Old June 30th, 2009, 11:26 PM
Genie
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by pliundemix View Post
Can anyone tell me where can I find any videos or post the links of videos that show a good bowl filling (A really neat and accurate one) of a MYA Bowl, for a MYA QT Hookah??

Please a good basic accurate tutory is what I need to start off with the right foot....and in a near future get a bigger better Hookah...

Thanks!!

J
I'm glad you posted this question because I know that I'm repeatedly screwing it up. I think I'm getting better, but once the bowl is "dead" I open it up to find sheesha that's not quite burned but, what, caramelized? on top and what's underneath looks good. Saving what's below and trying to smoke it hasn't gone well! I think I just keep trying to put too much in and although I sprinkle it in, I think I'm still underestimating how loosely I can sprinkle it in and how little sheesha I have to use.
Old July 5th, 2009, 03:10 AM
kidkarl
Hookah Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to kidkarl

Everyone always says keep the shisha below the rim of the bowl. I have always done this myself yet on every video on bowl filling they go over the rim... Whats up with that?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ah-7Xh2K_I4

Is it that an hour + isn't enough of a smoke? Just trying to get another 10 minutes in? Is it just me or does that last smiley look Asian?
Old July 5th, 2009, 03:21 AM
FeliFeliWooo
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to FeliFeliWooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkarl View Post
Everyone always says keep the shisha below the rim of the bowl. I have always done this myself yet on every video on bowl filling they go over the rim... Whats up with that?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ah-7Xh2K_I4

Is it that an hour + isn't enough of a smoke? Just trying to get another 10 minutes in? Is it just me or does that last smiley look Asian?
<<< asian

as long as the foil doesnt touch the tobacco youl be fine
and keep in mind that the foil will sag from the weight of the coals + the drag

what ive found works well if your looking for a slightly longer session is packing it in a lttle tighter
and then using a toothpick to discover the holes so you get airflow
its kinda tricky at first and tobacco will fall through the holes but it helps
Old July 5th, 2009, 02:53 PM
Genie
Hookah Nut

I finally solved my own bowl filling problems simply by adding a homemade Scalli mod to my Phunnel and doubling the HD foil I was using. Really did the trick. Plus I punch the holes before I put the foil over the bowl. I do this by laying the two layers of heavy duty foil over the bowl and pressing lightly so I get an outline of the outside of the bowl then I lay the foil on an oven mitt to poke the holes. Then I put it back on the bowl, nice and snug. This way my foil is staying nice and taut throughout smoking sessions.

Still just lightly sprinkling in the shisha, layering it gently, and only tapping down bits and pieces just enough so that it all stays just under the rim of the bowl.
Old July 5th, 2009, 07:14 PM
jayrunner89
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to jayrunner89

http://www.youtube.com/user/hookahpro
this is the one i used to learn
Old July 6th, 2009, 06:15 PM
yehaw4257
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to yehaw4257 Send a message via Yahoo to yehaw4257

uhh yea tobbaco will fall through the holes but its gonna get stuck in the water so you aint gonna suck it up through the tube plus its another good reason so clean the stem so it doesent get clogged with tobbaco TAR+small pieces of tobbacco=clogged stem.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook