Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

My KM has some rust...

Hookah Discussion

Closed Thread Share

Old July 7th, 2009, 06:00 PM
Baginoman
Hookah Newbie

Default My KM has some rust...

Saw some threads on this, and decided to check my Km....and to my surprise i found rust

Is this still ok to smoke out of? Or should i get some new parts? It even seems like my stem has some rust in it when i look through the hole

Time for a new hookah?

BTW do you guys think this was caused by me putting the stem into the vase every time i finished washing it?

UPDATE*
heres some pics of the stem. Theres little lines of rust that seem to be running down the whole stem. I used some CLR and didnt seem to do the trick at all. It will look nice and clean when im done rinsing it, but after it dries all the rsut shows. Any advice?

Last edited by Baginoman; July 9th, 2009 at 09:18 PM.
Old July 7th, 2009, 06:43 PM
sname
Hookah Newbie

Default Re: My KM has some rust...

that will come right off get some iron wool or somthing of that nature.
Old July 7th, 2009, 06:45 PM
Baginoman
Hookah Newbie

I actually went ahead and ordered a Tamseh wheat hookah , but would still like to know if i could save my KM??

Last edited by BIGPOPPA; August 31st, 2011 at 08:17 PM.
Old July 7th, 2009, 07:35 PM
Coldgr33ntea
Hookah Enthusiast

What you want to do is buy a bottle of rust remover. Its like 3 bucks, i always see them at the auto store. Dont buy the spray, just the bottle. Then use your brush and brush that rust removing liquid in the hookah. After you see that the rust is gone, then rinse it with lemon juice and water, this will remove any smells from the chemical. Then, make sure to dry out the inside of the stem by blowing through it, or taking some paper towel and trying to fish it down there. The purge valve will be a bit harder to clean and dry, but its the same thing.
Remember to remove ALL rust
also remember to completely dry EVERYTHING
Old July 9th, 2009, 09:18 PM
Baginoman
Hookah Newbie

got some pics of the stem, any advice guys?
Old July 9th, 2009, 09:57 PM
photolinger
Arabian Sensation

Send a message via AIM to photolinger Send a message via MSN to photolinger Send a message via Yahoo to photolinger Send a message via Skype™ to photolinger

good pics, just clean it out w/ a rust remover like said, but wash heavily afterwards.

or use lemon and salt and scrub wth a green scrubing pad connected to a coat hanger (someone posted a video to show how to do it in the DIY section)

the wheat hookah is a good buy btw .

"blu mist rulz dawg an that stuff ain't like it an if youz don't agree you bez a shithead yo" - Hajo Flettner
Old July 9th, 2009, 10:04 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

im a fan of mechanical cleaning as apposed to the chemical ways

run some scotch bright pads through it (i wouldnt use steel wool for the fact that any bit that doesnt come out will rust at the smallest bit of moisture and start the rust again)

if you dry it well you shouldnt have to many issues, maybe run some vegi oil/cooking oil what ever down it on a paper towel or a patch like you clean a firearm with just to get a light coating like you would a rifle barrel, that might help prevent rust after your clean it.

a brass/bronze brush from a gun cleaning kit might work well too for the straight parts that are rusted

-matt
Old July 9th, 2009, 10:48 PM
Baginoman
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by photolinger View Post
good pics, just clean it out w/ a rust remover like said, but wash heavily afterwards.

or use lemon and salt and scrub wth a green scrubing pad connected to a coat hanger (someone posted a video to show how to do it in the DIY section)

the wheat hookah is a good buy btw .
yea gonna have to try this. I def. still wanna keep my KM in good smoking shape lol

and yea your video review helped with my decision also bud
Old July 9th, 2009, 10:50 PM
Baginoman
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattathayde View Post
im a fan of mechanical cleaning as apposed to the chemical ways

run some scotch bright pads through it (i wouldnt use steel wool for the fact that any bit that doesnt come out will rust at the smallest bit of moisture and start the rust again)

if you dry it well you shouldnt have to many issues, maybe run some vegi oil/cooking oil what ever down it on a paper towel or a patch like you clean a firearm with just to get a light coating like you would a rifle barrel, that might help prevent rust after your clean it.

a brass/bronze brush from a gun cleaning kit might work well too for the straight parts that are rusted

-matt
so your saying those pads alone should do the job?
Old July 9th, 2009, 11:40 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baginoman View Post
so your saying those pads alone should do the job?
yep, might want to have a bit of water or oil on them to keep the dust down but they should be fine

-matt
Old July 10th, 2009, 12:11 AM
cbyerspace
Hookah Nut

Well I would deffinatly clean the stem but the purge valve doesn't effect the hookah's overall taste or smoke, just replace the ball bearing and you should be fine, but if you do get ahold of some rust remover grab some pipecleaners and it should come right up...

It was probably caused by not drying all the way... thats why you would get lines of rust inside, and as for the purge valve, very little people clean it let alone dry it off... lol

Last edited by cbyerspace; July 10th, 2009 at 12:13 AM.
Old July 10th, 2009, 09:13 AM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbyerspace View Post
Well I would deffinatly clean the stem but the purge valve doesn't effect the hookah's overall taste or smoke, just replace the ball bearing and you should be fine, but if you do get ahold of some rust remover grab some pipecleaners and it should come right up...

It was probably caused by not drying all the way... thats why you would get lines of rust inside, and as for the purge valve, very little people clean it let alone dry it off... lol
the purge valve needs to get cleaned out well too or else the BB will rust again and freeze up. remember rust is not patina, once you get a spot of rust it is basically impossible to stop it, the only real way is to remove ALL the rust, every last little molecule of it

-matt
Old July 10th, 2009, 01:49 PM
cbyerspace
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattathayde View Post
the purge valve needs to get cleaned out well too or else the BB will rust again and freeze up. remember rust is not patina, once you get a spot of rust it is basically impossible to stop it, the only real way is to remove ALL the rust, every last little molecule of it

-matt
Very true, If you plan on holding on to this hookah for some time longer it is worth all the trouble of cleaning it properly...
Old July 20th, 2009, 03:13 AM
etone
Hookah Newbie

I mainly wanna know if it would be harmful to smoke out of it if it has rust. I mean obviously you can clean or replace the part, but what if you smoked out of it with some rust on it? lets get scientific...
Old July 20th, 2009, 08:54 AM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by etone View Post
I mainly wanna know if it would be harmful to smoke out of it if it has rust. I mean obviously you can clean or replace the part, but what if you smoked out of it with some rust on it? lets get scientific...
honestly its probably not a huge deal, it will start to taste bad before you would probably have any health issues. granted i wouldnt do it very much but any particulate would probably be grabbed by the water.

if you have a bit of rust here and there its not a big deal but if the pipe has rust all in it dont think about it

-matt
Old July 20th, 2009, 06:20 PM
photolinger
Arabian Sensation

Send a message via AIM to photolinger Send a message via MSN to photolinger Send a message via Yahoo to photolinger Send a message via Skype™ to photolinger

hey remember drying is also an important part of cleaning...

"blu mist rulz dawg an that stuff ain't like it an if youz don't agree you bez a shithead yo" - Hajo Flettner
Old July 20th, 2009, 06:21 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by photolinger View Post
hey remember drying is also an important part of cleaning...
shouldnt matter much on anything other than mild steel

-matt
Closed Thread Share
Share with your friends on facebook