Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

yes im another newb but somewhat a serious question for yall

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old November 7th, 2007, 06:46 PM
fashow69
Hookah Nut

Default yes im another newb but somewhat a serious question for yall

ok im a hookah newb hahaha of course and my question for you is... just recently everytime i smoke my hookah i kinda feel sick afterwards like the different flavors i use taste great during the sesh but right afterwards i either have a headache or feel sick like naucious or however you spell it i dunno i think it may be im setting up my hookah wrong or something im not sure i am wondering if any of you have ever had this problem?? i love smoking my hookah but not if its gonna make me sick right afterwards. ive never smoked anything before after i turned 18. hookah being the first thing ive ever smoked in my life and i dont have any particular health problems.
Old November 7th, 2007, 07:13 PM
boomhauer
Banned

Send a message via AIM to boomhauer Send a message via Yahoo to boomhauer
Default Re: yes im another newb but somewhat a serious question for yall

what you are having is basically co2 poisoning. you are smoking either too long (4hour + sessions) or too much under a short period of time, it also can be your hole placement so are you doing anything special with your holes? you can try eating so you dont get the hookah headache as bad but if its co2 poisoning then it wont matter if you eat. smoke outside in a well ventilated area to help with this or do not take as many puffs in a short period of time, take a few breaths between puffs and dont rather than breath oxygen breath smoke through your hookah. if your hole placement is bad then it wont matter how often you take a puff depending on a few factors.

i used to put holes directly under my coals and this gave me lots of thick smoke but it also gave LOTS of co2 and i would get nauseous, cold and clammy, lack of energy, and a horrible headache in that order. please be aware if you at any time begin to feel drowsy while smoking immediatly stop smoking and head outside. this is a sign of co2 poisoning and it can lead to your death. it is caused because co2's bind is stronger than oxygen to your bloods hemoglobin so co2 stays longer to blood so you get less oxygen.

to put it in a simple sorta thing you can imagine (the following things said are not actual numbers but just an example) every breath you get 100% oxygen and when you get to 30% oxygen per breath you die due to asphyxiation (thats not good as pure oxygen is toxic). every time you take one puff off a hookah you get 1% less so after 10 puffs you now get 90% oxygen per breath. it takes 5 regular breaths to get an increase of 1% oxygen so if you take 10 puffs of (this isnt very simple now hahahahaha) your hookah it will take you 50 regular breaths to get back to 100% oxygen per breath. keep in mind the actual number needed to get that increase in percentage is higher. when you get to 80% you get nauseous, when you get to 60% you get a horrible headache, when you get to 50% you get cold and clammy, when you get to 40% you get sleepy and down to 30% you die
Old November 7th, 2007, 07:21 PM
fashow69
Hookah Nut

omg haha but seriously thanks for the info as far as hole placement i just poke a whole bunch of random holes like in a circle ish kinda pattern and that all makes sense because my room is not that big and the last time when i got a bad headache we did indeed smoke for like 4 or more hours so that makes lots of sense and i did eat while i was smoking but all i got was naucious ness i wasnt tired or cold or anything but that does put things into perspective. also about taking a lot of puffs within a short time i did do that aswell and even my g/f warned me about that hahaha but seriously thanks and ill keep all that in mind next time i smoke.
Old November 7th, 2007, 07:25 PM
boomhauer
Banned

dont let it run your fun just if you begin to feel strange take a couple minute break and get some fresh air. i find it more relaxing actually to take a break every now and then when smoking hookah and stretch outside. then again im usually outside when i smoke so thats in the case when im inside
Old November 7th, 2007, 10:55 PM
HookahMaster
Hookah Pro

Yeah you should problaby cut down the sessions to 1 hour max...Then after you get used to that, if you feel the need to, you can progress to longer sessions... Personally I can't see how anyone would even want to smoke 4 hours straight . That's crazy! Oh, and another thing to prevent headaches: Make sure you let the coal light up completley. Meaning, let it glow orange before you put it on the bowl, because if not you're basically inhaling a crap load of carbon monoxide. So light the coal, and let it sit for a few minutes while it gets a thin layer of ash all over and it starts to glow orange. Then place it on the bowl and enjoy...
Old November 7th, 2007, 11:26 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Check out the article I have up at Hookah Life about sensible smoking and be better for it. Always smoke on a full stomach and follow the great suggestions made by boomhauer &
Hookah Master. Also, eat some fruit while you smoke and drink plenty of something without booze.
Old November 8th, 2007, 12:51 AM
fashow69
Hookah Nut

thanx guys i really appreciate all that is actually makin alot of sense becuase i usually light my coals and you know how you can see it ignite and then it stops .. i put it on the bowl after that so im putting it on too early so i should just wait for it to ash a lil bit and glow like yall said and we werent exactly trying to go for a 4 hr sesh it just ended up happening normally i dont smoke for more then 1 hr and a half. and last night i ate a whole bunch before i smoke and i was eatiing fruit loops hahaha while smoking and i still got that naucious feeling i think it may be im putting the coal on too early..
Old November 8th, 2007, 03:08 AM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

I am not sure what is causing you the problems you mentioned but my first guess is that you are either using low quality coals or you are not waiting long enough before using them. You should wait until they ash over before drawing on your rig.

My next guess is that you are using a narghile that is too small as I have often heard people say that the various mini rigs just give you too much CO and they certainly are too hot in my view.

Lastly, I suggest that you take shallower draws and wait a go 30 seconds between pulls if you are having still having trouble.
Old November 8th, 2007, 04:44 AM
fashow69
Hookah Nut

hajo you are right im using a 12 inch i believe pumpkin hookah i kinda had a feeling it was the size of my rig that may have contributed to the problem and i do plan on buying a more bigger full size hookah and i had a prettty good sesh today actually i waited for the coal to ash over before using it and waited longer between hits and everything was just fine so i think i may have figured the problem out but once again thanks so much for all you guys help. oh also im using these " star light " quick light coals that i bought from the local hookah shop here.
Old November 8th, 2007, 12:37 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

O.K., dump the mini rig and read my post about choosing a narghile which should be a page or two back in this part of the forum. That should let you know what to look for. Never heard anything about star light so i'd say drop them in the trash and go get something decent like 3 Kings or Akhla or even better, go with natural coals like Nour, Exotica or Manara.
Old November 8th, 2007, 04:35 PM
KoRnKitten
Moderator Kitteh

Send a message via AIM to KoRnKitten Send a message via Yahoo to KoRnKitten

Fashow- How are you doing today? Hajo and the others are correct. You have to pace yourself. Hookah is about relaxing not racing to see who can take the deepest puffs and get the most smoke ect. I mean you can, and it's fun, but don't let that over power your session. You didn't say this, I just see alot of new people doing this , that's all All the other tips are perfect. Good luck man.

GLaDOS: "You euthanised your faithful companion cube more quickly than any test subject on record. Congratulations!"
Old November 8th, 2007, 07:24 PM
HookahMaster
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashow69
hajo you are right im using a 12 inch i believe pumpkin hookah i kinda had a feeling it was the size of my rig that may have contributed to the problem and i do plan on buying a more bigger full size hookah and i had a prettty good sesh today actually i waited for the coal to ash over before using it and waited longer between hits and everything was just fine so i think i may have figured the problem out but once again thanks so much for all you guys help. oh also im using these " star light " quick light coals that i bought from the local hookah shop here.
I'm glad you finally cured the problem...Don't hesitate to ask other questions to making your session better, that's what we're here for, to help each other out...Make sure to read through all of the hookah reviews in the review section. You want to fully research and ask as many questions as you want in order to purchase the best hookah to suit your needs...Happy smoking!
Old November 9th, 2007, 05:15 AM
fashow69
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoRnKitten
Fashow- How are you doing today? Hajo and the others are correct. You have to pace yourself. Hookah is about relaxing not racing to see who can take the deepest puffs and get the most smoke ect. I mean you can, and it's fun, but don't let that over power your session. You didn't say this, I just see alot of new people doing this , that's all All the other tips are perfect. Good luck man.
im doing just fine and yourself?? yea everythings been cool and yea i mostly smoke hookah to chill with my girl and my friends and enjoy the nice flavors but sometimes it is fun to try to get alot of smoke and do tricks and such i went to a hookah bar tonight with a bunch of friends it was pretty chill lots of people like to do it down here in va i mean shit it was packed as hell and it was only a thursday night hahahaha... but yea im glad i found a forum with mature people who want to help you out.. and of course i will be back with more questions im sure and im really motivated to buy a full sized hookah sometime soon i was thinkin about a mya or something i heard those are pretty good.. im open to any suggestions.
Old November 9th, 2007, 06:06 AM
boomhauer
Banned

personally i prefer something hand made not machine made so i say get a KM or a syrian hookah
Old November 9th, 2007, 09:00 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

[/quote]
im doing just fine and yourself?? yea everythings been cool and yea i mostly smoke hookah to chill with my girl and my friends and enjoy the nice flavors but sometimes it is fun to try to get alot of smoke and do tricks and such i went to a hookah bar tonight with a bunch of friends it was pretty chill lots of people like to do it down here in va i mean shit it was packed as hell and it was only a thursday night hahahaha... but yea im glad i found a forum with mature people who want to help you out.. and of course i will be back with more questions im sure and im really motivated to buy a full sized hookah sometime soon i was thinkin about a mya or something i heard those are pretty good.. im open to any suggestions.
[/quote]

I've got to say that you should stay away from Mya. In part it's because i've had a lot of bad experiences with that brand but numerous friends have been burned as well. Frankly I hate communism and slavery so you should be warned that every time you buy something from the PRC you are supporting those institutions. Mya stuff has cheesy glass/pyrex, crooked down stems, poor quality metal/welds and often don't give a good smoke.

Read the thread here "Hookah diversity as a deciding factor...." where I have a pretty detailed post about how to pick a narghile.
http://www.hookahpro.com/forums/inde...e&topic=1296.0

Stick with a well made Egyptian like Magdy Zidan or Khalil Mamoun or simply go with best and get finely built Syrian from J & R, H-S or SS. I've got a review of a Syrian I own on this site so take a look.
Old November 10th, 2007, 04:12 PM
HookahMaster
Hookah Pro

Wow...The Mya haters came out :...I don't know why everybody hates on Mya so much...These mysterious problems that people "supposedly" go through, have never happened to me...I bought a 29 inch Mya after owning a 33 inch Egyptian, and I have no regrets. The Mya kicked my Egyptians ass 10 times over! Welds? LOL, what welds? There are none. Cheap glass? My mya's glass vase is thicker than my Egyptian, and it's a solid heavy piece. I think most people around here read from right to left, meaning that price is the deciding factor on hookahs.

IMO there is no Egyptian that can compare in quality, performance, and the air tight seal of a Mya. And if there is one, well I haven't come across it yet. I think it's strange how I've noticed that anything that is expensive (hookah related), causes a lot of people around here to hate on it. Just like the Starbuzz haters. And then you get people trying to advise you to get a cheap hand made $60 hookah instead of a high quality expensive piece like a Mya. Who cares if it isn't hand made. Mya's have a perfect air tight seal, and that's all you need to have a perfect smoke right? Aside from the fact that I own a tall Egyptian, I've also smoked from several different types of Egyptian hookahs, including Syrians. And NONE of them even come close to the perfromance of my Mya. (not trying to be cocky, I'm just being honest)

But oh well, to each his own I guess. Some people choose a hookah with price as the deciding factor and others (me) choose a hookah with quality and performance as the deciding factor. Fashow69, buy w/e you want or like. But just remeber not to purchase a hookah based on pricing. Choose a hookah you like based upon everything else (ie. flavor, performance, looks, etc.). Coming from someone who has and still owns a 33 inch Egytpian, I can honestly advise you to get a Mya. Trust me you won't regret it. I upgraded and never looked back. My Egyptian is no longer used, it's been retired for a while now.
Old November 10th, 2007, 04:48 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

I don't like Starbuzz because of what I view as fake flavours not because of it's high cost. Fumari and Romman are more expensive then SB but far better in my opinion. Basically I don't think that anyone is ruling out expensive products simply on the basis of cost alone.

As to Mya I've owned 6 of them in my life and while 2 of them were O.K. none were great and the other four were terrible. I've know at least 7 people personally know that have bought Mya products in the last two years that have regretted doing so and i've read/heard dozens of comments from equally unhappy people within the past six months or so. What is more significant is that I have yet to meet anyone that has owned a well built Egyptian or Syrian rig that thinks that Mya products are better in terms of performance while knowing plenty that have the opposite opinion.

Naturally I know that poor quality Egyptian stuff is around but with KMs so common and cheap I simply don't see any reason to assume that Egytian stuff is of poor quality and plenty of reasons to think other wise because the better brands from Egypt are typically fantastic.

Still, I must admit that even if Mya made stuff of unmatched quality I wouldn't buy from them at this point simply because I don't believe in supporting communism and slavery with my hard earned money. If you choose to support such things (and you do every time you buy a product from the PRC) that is your own choice but one I can't go along with.

Luckily, the truth is that the American market is awash with Egyptian and Syrian products that have perfect or near perfect build quality at very reasonable prices that are often cheaper then what Myas sell for. The Syrian I posted a review of is a near a perfect narghile as anyone can hope to own and while it was not cheap it is a far better bargain then anything else i've heard about or seen for sale in some time.
Old November 10th, 2007, 05:26 PM
HookahMaster
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajo Flettner
As to Mya I've owned 6 of them in my life and while 2 of them were O.K. none were great and the other four were terrible. I've know at least 7 people personally know that have bought Mya products in the last two years that have regretted doing so and i've read/heard dozens of comments from equally unhappy people within the past six months or so.
I find this EXTREMELY odd...The local hookah lounge by my house, has been in business for several years, and they are constantly packed on the weekends with people renting hookahs. They've ALWAYS rented Mya's. Everytime I go there there's another group of people smoking out of a Mya, while their other Syrians and Egyptians are collecting dust in the back... So what does that tell you? I think for a succesfull hookah lounge to make the choice of serving Mya's to customers for the best experience, obviuosly indicates that in some way Mya hookahs are better than the other options. I'm good friends with the owner, and when I was in the market to purchase an upgrade from my 33 inch Egyptian, I asked him for advice.

I asked him what hookah (from his experience in the hookah business) offered the best performance and quality no matter what the cost...And he simply said, Mya. This was one of the most important deciding factors when I was interested in purchasing another hookah. Basically the way I see it, if this guy has been running a sucessful hookah business for so many years, and he told me that the best hookah I can buy is a Mya, then I guess there must be some truth to this. He obviously has A LOT more experience in the trade than me and most of the people around here so I trust his word more than anybody else's... And I'm being honest when I say that he was 100% right. Ever since I upgraded to a Mya I don't see myself ever considering on buying an Egyptian ever again.

Quote:
What is more significant is that I have yet to meet anyone that has owned a well built Egyptian or Syrian rig that thinks that Mya products are better in terms of performance while knowing plenty that have the opposite opinion.
You have now... Me

Oh and did I mention that my friend owns a 30 inch Syrian? Well yeah, I've smoked out of his Syrian many times before, and while it is a beautiful piece that smokes good, it still doesn't match up to my Mya. My Mya isn't leaps and bounds better than his Syrian, but there is a little difference in overall performance.
Old November 10th, 2007, 05:57 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

I used to own a shisha lounge that made a decent a money of money for a while before I sold it (the buyers have since ran it into the ground) and the truth is that a lot of excellent options exist for out fitting a lounge with narghiles and in the end what kind of narghile you choose has far less to do with the success of the business then how well run the establishment is and it's location. I could also point out that literally thousands of lounges exist in Turkey and the Arabic world that are highly successful (some for a few hundred years) and never even seen a mya let a lone use them so I don't think what a lounge owner says matters much in terms of how good a given narghile is.

What I do have to go on is the very large base of experience I have from owning a lounge, being active in a very large narghile club and spending a lot of time visiting narghile smokers and businesses while overseas.

Obviously a lot of people love Mya stuff and certainly given the vast amount of stuff they make it stands to reason that a great many people will like it. Yet after attending a pretty big shisha festival earlier this fall that had something like 300 smokers at it (as well as few from the forum) I noticed that very few people had a stated preference for Mya over a well made Egyptian rig.

Again, bad Egyptian rigs exist but a $50 KM will last longer and perform better then any Mya judging from what everyone I've ever spoken to one the subject has said.
Old November 10th, 2007, 06:19 PM
HookahMaster
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Again, bad Egyptian rigs exist but a $50 KM will last longer and perform better then any Mya judging from what everyone I've ever spoken to one the subject has said.
Somehow, I can't see a $50 KM lasting longer and perfroming better than my Mya. And I don't go by the "he said, she said crap". Those are just opinions most of the time anyways, not actual experience. And like I said, from my experience, I've come to realize that even well made Egyptians and Syrians just don't compare to my Mya. Now mind you, I'm not talking about the short cheap $30 to $60 Mya's. I'm talking about their taller more expensive pieces. I personally own a 29 inch Mya. I have a friend that owns a 13 inch Mya Diva. His doesn't compare to mine in flavor or smoke thickness. I could see how many more people would've bought the shorter offerings from Mya instead of the taller offerings simply because they wouldn't spend $200+ on a taller Mya. So in this case, it's obvious that those peoples opinions won't be valid or completely true, simply because they're comparing the smallest Mya against a 30 inch Syrian. I can admit, that the small Mya's (ie. acrylic, diva, etc.) don't smoke all that well. But you have to be fair and compare the tall hookahs against their same height competiton. And in this sense, My 29 inch Mya is so far the best hookah I've ever smoked out of. The difference in a small Mya versus a taller more expensive Mya, is larger than most people think.

But w/e to each his own...I just noticed that we went WAY off topic here! lol, so we can leave the Mya versus Egyptian discussion for another day. I'm sure there will be plenty of opportunies for future discussion. Anyway, nice talking with ya. Happy Smoking...
Old November 10th, 2007, 06:49 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

I personally know several people that have owned KMs for 7+ years that still perform flawlessly while I have yet to meet anyone with a Mya that has been usable for more then 5 years. As for he said she said we both go by that to some extent but I assume we both go largely by what we have personally heard and experienced being that I am a bit older then most here i've been able to get a bit points of reference but certainly that does not invalidate anything you have said and I hope to not give that impression.

Obviously you are right that you can't compare stuff of different height and i'll be the first to agree that short rigs are never as good as a full sized one of any description. I used to own Mya Gyro that I bought because of the rave reviews (and because I got it for about 30% less then it normally goes for) and while it looked nice and and had decent performance it still didn't perform as well as most of the stuff in my collection so I gave it away about a month ago when the glass developed stress fractures and the stem developed some problems as well.

Still, if you do well with Myas and don't have a problem with buying stuff from the PRC then by all means stick with them. We all have different tastes and I did used to to know a guy that loved this little Futuba (sp?) rig more then anything in the world so far be it from me or anyone else to say he was wrong for being that way.

Anyway, it's always good to hear another perspective so I am thankful for your input.

Old November 11th, 2007, 04:15 AM
fashow69
Hookah Nut

damn guys now i dont know what to choose hahahah this is gonna be hard but for my next hookah im def. looking for a full sized hookah and my budget is around $200 or soo and my g/f wants it to be pink lol.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook