Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

dirty jersey cops

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old July 14th, 2009, 10:52 PM
FusionX
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to FusionX
Default dirty jersey cops

So i was driving with my QT in the front seat and get pulled over by my local popo because they have nothing better to do then sit in front of local bars at night. My town was actually in the Guiness Book of World Records for the most bars on the same stretch of 1 mile road. I take this road to get home or I would have to go around and take a highway which is patrolled by state troopers. Anywho I'm driving and get pulled over with my QT in the front seat. So the lights start flashing and I throw it on the backseat floor. He checks my car and asks what that is. I said it is a hookah pipe and explain what it is used for. He they proceeded to tell me it was for smoking illegal substances and I quickly tried to correct him.

The cop got frustrated with me and tells me not to get fresh with him. Calmly I try to explain to him what it's used for and he flips out. The f*cker decided to smash my Toyotal Celica Driver Side mirror with his baton. So idk what really to do because my town cops are full of immature and power hungry douchebags.

I called up a hotline for my car and they said it will cost me 372$ + tax to get the unit replaced. Yeah ok.... so tomorrow I gotta hit up a junkyard in the morning and see if they could swap out the unit and repaint it if they have it.

I did get the badge # because he also slapped me with 2 tickets for obstruction of view for my Rutgers parking permit and radar detector, but managed to leave the navigation unit alone lol.

I don't think I can win this by going into the police station and explaining that he wen't apeshit over a hookah pipe. O yea he let me keep it. I guess if he took it to the station, I would have won a lawsuit.

This leaves me with a 300$ fine + replacement + installation cost of the driver side mirror + unit.

Suggestions?

Last edited by FusionX; July 14th, 2009 at 10:55 PM.
Old July 14th, 2009, 10:55 PM
MrBungle
AFNSBFLAVOUR

Default Re: dirty jersey cops

umm...he cant just destroy a part of your car. anyways, look on ebaymotors. my friend got a mirror recently for like $30

Old July 14th, 2009, 10:56 PM
bradedup
Hookah Master

Feel like he broke some laws and shit there...I d go down to the station and complain my ass off.
Old July 14th, 2009, 11:01 PM
StinkingFish
Hookah Nut

Broken driver's side mirror vs. A confiscated hookah.

Tough choice.
Sorry to hear about your problem, but it does happen, unfortunately. I had to replace my passenger mirror just recently, and ended up going to a junkyard. I had the advantage of the thing not having any electronics or anything, so it was an easy fix, albeit inconvenient. Cheapest fix out there too, probably your best option if you don't have to hook too many things up.
Old July 14th, 2009, 11:04 PM
FusionX
Hookah Enthusiast

yeah but I feel as if I can't win the situation since the "law" is always right.
And it may not even be worth fighting because of lawyer fees and not to mention risk being pulled over in the future by other cops to give me shit cause I slapped the dept. with a lawsuit. I live in a very small town that is patrolled by at least 4 cops at any given moment because of the amount of bars in the area.
Old July 14th, 2009, 11:08 PM
FusionX
Hookah Enthusiast

Also the unit is electronic and requires me taking apart the side door slab. Taking it off is easy, but I've had a problem of puttin it back in previous vehicles without it popping off one one side. It took me 4 hours LOL. Rather pay a professional to do it for me in 30min and be on my way to work.
Old July 14th, 2009, 11:08 PM
ebaygirl
Hookah Pro

Was the cop car behind you or in front of you? Because they have video cameras mounted on their cars and that stuff could be recorded.
Old July 14th, 2009, 11:09 PM
StinkingFish
Hookah Nut

Eh. It's always a sticky business dealing with the law. If you're pissed off enough, you could go for it, but I have the same opinion as you - probably not worth it. Someone more familiar with this situation might change your mind here, but it might be best to just chalk it up to a loss, smoke out of your dubious looking smoking device (According to the ignorant), and try to relax. At least you've got hookahpro at your back ;-)
Old July 14th, 2009, 11:11 PM
FusionX
Hookah Enthusiast

Cop pulled up in front of me ;[ It was at a 4 way stop with him making an L shaped turn to get into my side of traffic.
We were facing eachother when he turned his lights on.

This guy must've been having a really bad day to pull this one off.
Old July 14th, 2009, 11:14 PM
vqturbo
Hookah Nut

I'd complain, smashing the mirror out of frustration made it personal not an enforcement of the law.

Ignorance is bliss...
Old July 14th, 2009, 11:17 PM
FusionX
Hookah Enthusiast

I agree I wanna complain so bad, but I can't prove anything given any idea that comes up in my head.
Old July 14th, 2009, 11:20 PM
Coldgr33ntea
Hookah Enthusiast

Yeap, this is why i dont smoke hookah up front visibly. I will take a cup and put the hose through that and i usually hold it in for a few seconds then blow it out with a fast stream of smoke so it is really hard to tell the smount of smoke coming out. Or i smoke in the backseat. but yea, some cops are dicks. The thing is, it is not like they are the almighty of the road. My cousins boyfriend who is/was a police officer is getting thrown in jail for stealing money from the police station from a money box. he had almost 15 years of experience there. And depending on your city, your police force can be either really stupid, or less stupid. In the town i live in, you can get into the police force out of high school with a little training. Up north, where i go to college, everyone on the police force is required to have a 4 year degree.
Old July 14th, 2009, 11:27 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

if a cop smashed my mirror that would have ended up with my in jail probably for assault on an officer. you need to press charges, take that cock sucker to court and get him nailed. there is a cop here that i wouldnt be surprised if he did that but i think once some one took him to court for it i would get slammed for the ass hole he is

use every legal channel you can, even if you lose it is known that you complained about the cop. i would think you can tell the difference between hitting something and knocking your mirror off and a baton to the top. what was the reason the cop stopped you for, they have to have a reason to do so, not jsut you look suspicious. at bare min i would go to court and argue the tickets and tell them what happened, even if you have to get a lawyer to do so. the parking pass obstruction i think a judge will toss out pretty fast and the radar detector while they are listed as illegal in most states there is a lot of issues with the law (my traffic engineer friend was telling me about this) it is not illegal to own a scanner or other radio receiver and thats all a detector is so the laws contradict each other.

honestly at that point i would have rolled up my window and called 911 or something cause thats fucking way out of line. thats the kind of cop that needs to piss some one off and get a bullet in his head... or just needs to go swallow a 45

-matt
Old July 14th, 2009, 11:37 PM
Coldgr33ntea
Hookah Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattathayde View Post
if a cop smashed my mirror that would have ended up with my in jail probably for assault on an officer. you need to press charges, take that cock sucker to court and get him nailed. there is a cop here that i wouldnt be surprised if he did that but i think once some one took him to court for it i would get slammed for the ass hole he is

use every legal channel you can, even if you lose it is known that you complained about the cop. i would think you can tell the difference between hitting something and knocking your mirror off and a baton to the top. what was the reason the cop stopped you for, they have to have a reason to do so, not jsut you look suspicious. at bare min i would go to court and argue the tickets and tell them what happened, even if you have to get a lawyer to do so. the parking pass obstruction i think a judge will toss out pretty fast and the radar detector while they are listed as illegal in most states there is a lot of issues with the law (my traffic engineer friend was telling me about this) it is not illegal to own a scanner or other radio receiver and thats all a detector is so the laws contradict each other.

honestly at that point i would have rolled up my window and called 911 or something cause thats fucking way out of line. thats the kind of cop that needs to piss some one off and get a bullet in his head... or just needs to go swallow a 45

-matt
agreed
Old July 14th, 2009, 11:37 PM
myka
Hookah Pro

Your gonna let him get away for smashing your mirror? He had no right to ruin your property because he was pissed off. File a law suit and make them pay for the damn mirror.
Old July 15th, 2009, 12:16 AM
vqturbo
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattathayde View Post

-matt
As long as they are not used during a criminal offense, they are legal in most states..
Old July 15th, 2009, 12:23 AM
jimmmmaaaa
Hookah Nut

Have you tried complaining without threatening with a lawsuit? Perhaps they've had previous complaints like this. It most likely won't get you anywhere, but its worth a shot. Personally, the cop deserves to get his ass sued. But is it really worth it for 300?
Old July 15th, 2009, 12:26 AM
cbyerspace
Hookah Nut

Honestly it seems like he wanted to give someone a hard time... Its not standard protical for a cop to pull up in front of you, They are supost. to have a full veiw of you at all times, that and the cameras are dash mounted, so he broke protical by pulling out in front of you instead of behind... at least I belive so, I don't see why the would have a dash cam if they where not required to use them... But all in all your out of luck because without video footage you got nothing, I would go to the local bars and see if they might have caught it on their security cam...

The cop himself should have to pay for the damage I would think...

Last edited by cbyerspace; July 15th, 2009 at 12:29 AM.
Old July 15th, 2009, 12:28 AM
BobMarley
Hookah Guru

Do whatever it takes to get him in trouble so he may be fired. Fucking pig of a cop shouldn't be on the streets. Make sure you know that man, he's certainly not serving justice, it's kind of your duty to get his ass fired.
Old July 15th, 2009, 12:30 AM
jimmmmaaaa
Hookah Nut

And at least he didn't pull you over two seconds later for having a busted mirror
Old July 15th, 2009, 12:44 AM
cbyerspace
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmmmaaaa View Post
And at least he didn't pull you over two seconds later for having a busted mirror
Lmao... That would be hillarious, well not for you, but the whole situation...
Old July 15th, 2009, 12:46 AM
Coldgr33ntea
Hookah Enthusiast

lol, that is true. In michigan, the drivers side mirror is a requirement to have on all cars.
Old July 15th, 2009, 01:05 AM
paulk
Hookah Pro

Send a message via MSN to paulk

Call the Sates Attorneys Office. They handle complaints like that. They may have other complaints on file for him. Also contact the Internal Affairs Division if they have one, Most Police departments do. Then also file a complaint with his superiors.

Did you say he had to pull in front of you making an L shape?

If so this is very unusual type of stop. Not proper training at all. Also aren't cops in your area required to call it in when they make a stop?

The dash cam would show this unusual traffic stop angle, and with the record of him calling your make/model/plate number this might make your case.

At my age being cynical and sarcastic is just making small talk.
Old July 15th, 2009, 02:12 AM
c000weee
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to c000weee Send a message via Yahoo to c000weee

Here in Michigan we can fight tickets by taking the pig to court for free. Most of the time the pig doesn't show up. Fines would be eliminated. Still out of a mirror though.
Old July 15th, 2009, 02:36 AM
Coldgr33ntea
Hookah Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by c000weee View Post
Here in Michigan we can fight tickets by taking the pig to court for free. Most of the time the pig doesn't show up. Fines would be eliminated. Still out of a mirror though.
Yea, ive fought a ticket doing that. Damn cop was a no show. hehe
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook