Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

About Tangiers

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old November 25th, 2007, 01:57 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Default About Tangiers

Some of you all may have seen my Tangiers blueberry review and so i'll mention some things i've noticed about Tangiers.

A) Acclimation is a hassle -

Waiting a day and not being able to use my favorite bowl is pain that means i'll be smoking this brand infrequently. Trying to smoke it after just a few hours is impossible for me.

B) Even with a small funnel it takes far more time to smoke Tangiers then I ever have free which makes me think I should put in the mod. Anyone have any thoughts about that idea?

C) Before I can pack a bowl I have spend literally ten minutes picking out stems and looks like literally a quarter of the pack is stuff I can't smoke. This really makes me wonder if I should buy Tangiers again. For a cheap shisha this is understandable but still a pain and for a more expensive product this is just not acceptable.

Old November 25th, 2007, 04:46 PM
boomhauer
Banned

Send a message via AIM to boomhauer Send a message via Yahoo to boomhauer
Default Re: About Tangiers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajo Flettner
A) Acclimation is a hassle -

Waiting a day and not being able to use my favorite bowl is pain that means i'll be smoking this brand infrequently. Trying to smoke it after just a few hours is impossible for me.
you only need to acclimate it once. when you recieve your package just open it and leave it out for a few hours. also it depends on your weather compared to san diego. weather in the los angeles area is similar to san diego so i only had it open for about 30 minutes and it smoked fine but i left it open after i packed my first bowl for a couple more hours just to be certain.

Quote:
B) Even with a small funnel it takes far more time to smoke Tangiers then I ever have free which makes me think I should put in the mod. Anyone have any thoughts about that idea?
well this depends really. if you got a mod you can use it to save maʿasel and shorten the smoking time by a bit but i know what you mean that in a small funnel taking up a lot of time to smoke. you can leave the bowl packed and smoke it at a later time which saves you time on setup the 2nd+ time. you can get a second funnel and have it set for tangiers only and do the above, the second bowl will be for when you want to smoke another brand but already have a bowl of tangiers packed.

Quote:
C) Before I can pack a bowl I have spend literally ten minutes picking out stems and looks like literally a quarter of the pack is stuff I can't smoke. This really makes me wonder if I should buy Tangiers again. For a cheap shisha this is understandable but still a pain and for a more expensive product this is just not acceptable.
the stems wont make a huge difference on the smoke of this brand honestly. sure its more woody but it wont affect you smoke much and the stems have a bit more nicotine so there is more of the buzz.

the brand is pretty good and the flavors are also good. it does have some bad things about it but in the end its worth it.
Old November 25th, 2007, 08:15 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

In every batch of Tangiers i have ever opened i have never come across even one stem. Only gigantic leaves. Never a stem. I get way more stems in Starbuzz.

Acclimation doesn't exactly have to be for a whole day, it can be shorter, but i do acclimate it for about that long. I probably have more free time then you do though. . Spreading it out over a large surface area will make it acclimate quicker, but fluctuations in humidity will mess with it.

And it also does not have to be smoked using a phunnel. I know many people that just use a standard style bowl.

I am actually not able to smoke Tangiers in the winter season, as my temperature and weather change so abruptly. It is almost always in a constant state of humidity shock.

The mod does lessen the amount of shisha in the bowl, but i have never used it with Tangiers, and have been told not to. But i think it's worth a try.

Old November 26th, 2007, 01:20 AM
rayver
Hookah Nut

Not all tangiers flavors have the same issues with "humidityy shock"...blueberry is probably the worse of Tangiers flavors when it comes to humidity shock.

Me, Sambooka and PB smoked tangiers blueberry today and it went rather well. You just have to get acustomed of setting it up correctly.
Old November 28th, 2007, 04:57 PM
iamscott06
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to iamscott06

Tangiers = Good

I acclimate for a couple hours, stir it up every once and a while.
Either pack my phunnel (smoke it multiple times) or i pack my reg clay bowl and smoke that for like an hour or so.
The clay bowl doesnt last as long as the phunnel but thats because your burning the shisha more, still good for a hour session.

Flavors i'v tried and like:
Orange Soda
Brambleberry
Cherry Merischino
Kashmir Peach
Lemon-Lime
Juicy Peach
F-Line Kashmir

Flavors I Dont Like!
Red Tea (Beef Jerky!)
Old November 29th, 2007, 05:20 AM
merkaba
Hookah Nut

its a challenge, but who doesnt enjoy a challenge from time to time?

Tangiers is actually an interesting smoke for me. It doesn't give out on the first date.
Old November 29th, 2007, 08:46 AM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

I know that I bought some Al Fakher Grape, opened up the package and loaded a good sized bowl of it. Smoked for 3.5 hours and was flavorful the whole time! I like when they put out on the first date!

I am going to give Tangiers another try, but so far I haven't been overly impressed. I have Kashmire Peach, Juicy Peach, Kiwi, and Vanilla to try out ... and that should be enough samples for me to "get it right" ... I would like to try the Orange Soda, Brambleberry and Horchetta, but I am not buying anything until I know these other ones provide me with the flavor and enjoyment I am looking for.

http://www.hookahpro.com - Hookah Pro Community - Hookah Forum
~Favorite Hookah~ Khalil Mamoon Amer .. (she leans, so I call her Eileen)
~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Al Fakher Mint, Al Fakher Orange, Al Fakher Cinnamon
HookahPro.com .. powered by Elites!
Old November 29th, 2007, 12:32 PM
rayver
Hookah Nut

I had kashimir peach but ended up trading it.. didn't like it. some people love it.
Old November 29th, 2007, 01:49 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Thanks for the replies everyone. I am always delighted to see just how knowledgeable people here are. Basically, I think i'll smoke Tangiers with the mod from now on as the time it takes to go through a small funnel without one is far more time then I ever have.

As to stems i've opened exactly one pack of Tangiers and the stem problem is the worst i've ever seen. A woody quality is alright with some natural tobacco flavours but in something that is supposedly fruit flavoured it's a bad thing to have. Also, the vast majority of nicotine is found in the stems and roots of tobacco rather then in the leaves and i've always felt that excessive nicotine takes away from the pleasures of smoking rather then add too it.

I have gone back to a half used bowl and topped it off with good results the first time and mediocre results the second so I guess i'll try not to do it again.

The acclimation thing is a bit of a hassle as when I first tried to smoke Tangiers I did so after letting it sit around for about four hours and the stuff was harsh and very unpleasant. My second attempt was after letting it sit around for more then a full day and was very good in terms of flavour, smoke and mouth feel.

While i've just tried the blueberry my impression is that Tangiers is a good product but it is a very fusy one that requires a lot of practice to use properly. While the flavour of the blueberry was good it was not as realistic as I like but good nonetheless.
Old November 29th, 2007, 02:03 PM
DarkD3vil
Hookah Nut

i love me some tangiers...

i have tried it with the mod and had very good results i just had to use less coals i think it was 1 40mm broke into 3 pieces..

and i usually acclimate mine for a few hours 6 max i just let it sit out and go about my normal day
Old November 29th, 2007, 02:53 PM
F-Stop
Hookah Newbie

Tangiers is good stuff, if you arent an experienced smoker it may smack you in the face.
Old January 1st, 2008, 02:17 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

I am enjoying the Tangiers Blue Berry O got a while ago although I really have that a literally a third of the pack is stems that need to get thrown away. The flavour and smoke quality are excellent and the complicated nature of the flavour is wonderful. I've found that Tangiers doesn't work too well with normal bowls although I am thinking about getting a super chief and trying it with that. Anyone have any thoughts on the super chief? I have found the scalli mod to work just fine with my small fun and i've found no difference in session quality but it does bring the length of the session down to something that reasonable for me. As a result, when I smoke Tangiers out of my funnel i'll use the scalli mod.
Old March 11th, 2008, 07:26 PM
daedra
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to daedra

is this the thread you were talking about hajo
Old March 11th, 2008, 08:51 PM
JillyIsJustKidding
Deleted Per User Request

That is one of the things I really do not like about Tangiers. Its such a tricky tobacco to get smoking and you never know if its ready or not to smoke cuz its such a hassle
Old March 11th, 2008, 09:07 PM
daedra
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to daedra

im from anaheim and they are from san diego. so i figured i wouldnt need to let it acclimate. but i called up boomhauer anyways and asked him, he said to let it sit for an hour.
Old March 11th, 2008, 09:41 PM
Dunkel
Bad Motherf^&*er!

Smoking a hookah is about relaxation. Going through all the BS involved in getting Tangiers to smoke right is just not worth it. Plenty of easier to smoke, less expensive flavorful shishas out there.
Old March 14th, 2008, 11:22 AM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

I have never gotten stems before in a batch of Tangiers. People are different. I can handle O. Soda and K-Peach; but not K-Apple. My Friend can handle K-Peach and K-Apple but no O.Soda or Grapefruit at times. It's a very rich, robust hookah tobacco, something us Americans aren't used to. He changed up the cut so it's easier to pack and easier to smoke.

I like Tangiers because of the flavor. No other brand can duplicate the flavor so well. It is made by hand, every single batch, and sometimes you get a bad batch and it smells like BBQ even after acclimation. I think Tangiers is very fun to set-up and smoke. i don't see it as work because the outcome is so fantastic.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook