Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Random questions about shisha....

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share
Old November 27th, 2007, 02:08 PM
Hookah Newbie
Default Random questions about shisha....

1- How to you know when the tabacco is finished
2- How do you not burn the tabacco
3- the mos random of them all... i have smoked hookah for some time now, but how strong is the smoke really supposed to taste

last but not least...After 15 mins of smoking thick clouds, the smoke thins very suddenly, is it because of my coals or tabacco...

thanks for all the help
Old November 27th, 2007, 03:06 PM
Send a message via AIM to boomhauer Send a message via Yahoo to boomhauer
Default Re: Random questions about shisha....

1. it all depends on the brand and the flavor. some last only an hour and some last over 5 hours. when you get little flavor out of the tobacco you know you are near the end. alternatively you can take off the foil and check the tobacco. if it is very dry and there is little moisture anywhere in it your done but if it is very moist you still got a while to go.

2. how not to burn the tobacco is by watching your heat and your packing. if you overpack your tobacco you will burn it because some of is is touching the foil. if any touches the foil generally it will get harsh quickly so try to avoid this. the other way is heat management and experience. how much heat you need depends on the flavor and brand so this is where experience falls in. when you are first trying out a new brand its nice to try it in half coals if your using jap easylites, if your using a quicklite then use it in quarter coals. and if your using exoticas cut it into sixths. another thing which will help is a windcover as it adds extra heat without a whole extra piece of coal. it doesnt add as much heat in most cases but in some cases it can be a little hotter than adding a coal. even with that in mind always try a windcover to see if the extra heat helps and if it doesnt you can easily take off the cover and have not wasted a piece of coal.

3. this last one depends on the brand and flavor also. some of the flavors of some brands are very strong in flavor while others are quite weak in that area. also some brands flavor are better than another so experiment to find the one you like more.

4. depends how long your bowl has been going but generally its the heat. do not worry about getting super thick clouds and then getting thin ones as much. its more about the flavor i say rather than the smoke.
Old November 29th, 2007, 04:00 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Everything BH said is spot on. I should ad that you should check out the Hookah Pro videos at youtube as they've got a ton of info for people just starting out.

I should mention that you should always use high quality coals ( natural ones like Forani and Exotica are best ) and wait for them to become fully lit before using. Check out the tips section at hookah-life.com for lots of good suggestions. You also should get a high quality hose like a namoor and clean it often if you want good results.

Last and most important thing to remember is carefully clean everything after every use.
Old November 29th, 2007, 04:43 PM
Sambooka Jr.

1- How to you know when the tabacco is finished
I guess the best way to explain this, is when you are not getting any flavor and are getting some really nasty smoke. You will be able to tell by the taste of the tobacco, it will change from a smoke (even if it is flavorless) to something totally different in taste. If you look under the foil you will also see that it is very black and dry.

2- How do you not burn the tabacco
Don't over pack the bowl! Try to keep at least an eighth of an inch between the tobacco and the foil. Along with packing the bowl you can also help keep if from burning by keeping your coals on the very outer edges of the bowl, especially when you are working with fresh coals! Rotate them about every 10 to 15 minutes. Also, don't overdue it on the coals, I generally will use 1.5 of a quicklight, or 3 japanese coals, or 3 one inch pieces of Exoticas when I smoke. I will adjust the heat by moving in our out, or by removing a piece of the coal. As the coals get smaller, after about 45 minutes, you can move them in towards the center and get some more out of the bowl. If you have a windcover you could use that when the coals are really small and get some good flavorful smoke out of the little coals!

3- the most random of them all... i have smoked hookah for some time now, but how strong is the smoke really supposed to taste
It really depends on how much coal you have, what brand of coal, what kind of tobacco, how clean your hookah is, etc. Also, people have different likings for taste and smoke amount. I like to go for taste, so I will carefully monitor the coals and get a good amount of smoke without sacrificing the flavor. It takes time and sometimes it feels like you will never get there! I remember when I had lots of trouble! But once you learn the heat management portion you will be well on your way to adjusting for major smoke, or for major flavor, or somewhere in between. Just practice, practice, practice! and CLEAN your hookah! A good clean hookah will keep your smoke from being negatively impacted by nasty flavors that lurk in your hookah when you don't clean it well. There is a how to cleaning video I made on you tube that should help you with that as well ...

How To Clean Your Hookah - Part I - http://youtube.com/watch?v=rvqnpUcEJ-8
How To Clean Your Hookah - Part II - http://youtube.com/watch?v=VRJp0DUUY

http://www.hookahpro.com - Hookah Pro Community - Hookah Forum
~Favorite Hookah~ Khalil Mamoon Amer .. (she leans, so I call her Eileen)
~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Al Fakher Mint, Al Fakher Orange, Al Fakher Cinnamon
HookahPro.com .. powered by Elites!
Old November 29th, 2007, 06:51 PM
Hookah Pro

boomhauer and sam hit the nail on the head with that one. just practice, practice, practice and u'll get it
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook