Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Fight of the Phunnels!

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old September 20th, 2009, 05:41 PM
Sui
Hookah Enthusiast

Default Fight of the Phunnels!

Im in the market for a new bowl. The stock egyptian clay bowl I have is wonderful but its a bit too shallow and for more than one more smoker it can be a tedious refill. So I'm looking at these two from John:

Tangiers Medium phunnel:
http://www.**********.com/product.sc...&categoryId=12

Sahara Smoke Vortex:
http://www.**********.com/product.sc...&categoryId=12

Both have great reviews and seem totally worth it, so HP...which do you think would go with my 30" baby?
Old September 20th, 2009, 05:45 PM
Demonix
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Demonix
Default Re: Fight of the Phunnels!

Go for a small Phunnel, the medium uses a lot of tobacco, but if you plan on smoking for more than 2 hours often, then the medium might serve you better.
The vortex will you less tobacco, but I have never used a vortex before, so I don't know how they are compared to phunnels.

you could always go with both, party bowl and a solo session bowl
Old September 20th, 2009, 05:46 PM
MrBungle
AFNSBFLAVOUR

if you dont plan on smoking Tangiers, get a vortex. also, a medium phunnel is unnecessary unless you plan on smoking with 2-4 people for 3+ hours.

Old September 20th, 2009, 05:47 PM
Sui
Hookah Enthusiast

So far im digging the Vortex more and more, should easily work well for both small self sessions, and a good hour long session of 2-3 ppl no?
Old September 20th, 2009, 06:01 PM
patelbadboy2006
Hookah Master

Send a message via MSN to patelbadboy2006 Send a message via Yahoo to patelbadboy2006

i say small phunnel works perfect for everything, if you want a smaller session use a mod
Old September 20th, 2009, 06:15 PM
Scoop
Hookah Guru

the original ftw. the vortex i looked at had holes near the bottom. my friend got one with clogged holes...

get the original high quality one. small phunnel ftw. dont support rip off artists
Old September 20th, 2009, 07:38 PM
BIG RICH
Hookah Newbie

i just bought a vortex and wow it's actually amazing. i own a phunnel but i only use it for tangiers.
Old September 20th, 2009, 07:52 PM
chain
Hookah Pro

i have medium and small phunnels and a vortex and honestly all i use it my small phunnel for everything. doesn't matter what tobacco i'm smoking i always use it.
Old September 20th, 2009, 08:02 PM
foibled
Hookah Pro

I have several Tangiers phunnels and vortex bowls but I say go with a small Tangiers. A vortex is much more difficult to keep clean and has a restricted draw. As Scoop mentioned, the holes on the vortex aren't consistent and are sometimes very poorly done. The Tangiers phunnels are made of a better, thicker ceramic so they're less likely to break on you. A vortex is more friendly towards looser packs if you are trying to save as much tobacco as you can, but IMO a properly packed Tangiers phunnel smokes better than a properly packed vortex.

edit: FWIW, I do only use vortex bowls when I smoke with friends but mostly because Tangiers noir is too strong for them and I'd rather have a vortex get broken than a phunnel.

Last edited by foibled; September 20th, 2009 at 08:05 PM.
Old September 20th, 2009, 08:27 PM
DanyalAkkaya
Hookah Pro

I had both and I sold my vortex. The small tangiers funnels gets me a good 1h30m session, thats all I need from it, I am thinking of getting a new medium one as well just for when I have more people over.
Old September 20th, 2009, 08:30 PM
Coldgr33ntea
Hookah Enthusiast

Personally, I think it boils down to what you smoke. If you smoke more HH style tobacco, then go with a vortex, if you smoke a lot of tangiers, then go with a phunnel.
Old September 20th, 2009, 08:41 PM
Sui
Hookah Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldgr33ntea View Post
Personally, I think it boils down to what you smoke. If you smoke more HH style tobacco, then go with a vortex, if you smoke a lot of tangiers, then go with a phunnel.
I normally dont branch far from Nahkla, Al Fakher, and Starbuzz.
Old September 20th, 2009, 08:57 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

i have owned a small phunnel for a year and a vortex for a month. the vortex is a better bowl in my opinion, even for tangiers (i dont follow eriks packing method though). the vortex holds less tobacco than the phunnel but it still is plenty.

even with a phunnel i cant get more than 1 good round of nat coals with nakhla so i dont have a good amount of advice for that but with tangiers i can get a good 2 rounds of nats on the vortex and not waste tobacco

-matt
Old September 20th, 2009, 09:02 PM
TheGirlfriend
Hookah Pro

Send a message via MSN to TheGirlfriend

Honestly both. I am really liking the vortex i just got esp with HH they are made for each other
Old September 20th, 2009, 09:07 PM
imthatguy
Hookah Newbie

IMO the vortex is way better......there no hassle of the foil getting stuck....and i dont care if people say "its never happened to me before" it happens to a lot of people and saves the hassle of trying to correct the problem a vortex is just as good as a phunnel and uses less tobbaco...i prefer it
Old September 20th, 2009, 10:23 PM
photolinger
Arabian Sensation

Send a message via AIM to photolinger Send a message via MSN to photolinger Send a message via Yahoo to photolinger Send a message via Skype™ to photolinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by imthatguy View Post
IMO the vortex is way better......there no hassle of the foil getting stuck....and i dont care if people say "its never happened to me before" it happens to a lot of people and saves the hassle of trying to correct the problem a vortex is just as good as a phunnel and uses less tobbaco...i prefer it
foil getting stuck is usually an issue held by people who have a non tangiers funnel bowl. i know that my first funnel was a knockoff, and i hated it because of this issue. when i invested in a real tangiers bowl, things actually got better. I can now say they do actually work with wetter tobaccos.

i have a vortex, and my main issue w/ a vortex is that it is significantly harder to clean than a funnel, its annoying. I dont want to have to boil the bowl often, the beauty of hookah is in the setup more than the teardown. I dont like black gunk on my bowls, although sometimes you cant help it, its easier to get stuff clogging your vortex holes than a giant tangiers funnel bowl hole.

thinking that my vortex was a bad batch vortex, i am considering another bowl to give them a chance...not certain yet.

also about a scallimod...if its glass, its a pain to clean as well...and having a peice of glass with black and brown stains in my bowl isnt appealing to me, so i just avoid it.

that being said, egyptian clay really works just fine, don't knock a classic.

"blu mist rulz dawg an that stuff ain't like it an if youz don't agree you bez a shithead yo" - Hajo Flettner
Old September 20th, 2009, 10:34 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by photolinger View Post
foil getting stuck is usually an issue held by people who have a non tangiers funnel bowl. i know that my first funnel was a knockoff, and i hated it because of this issue. when i invested in a real tangiers bowl, things actually got better. I can now say they do actually work with wetter tobaccos.

i have a vortex, and my main issue w/ a vortex is that it is significantly harder to clean than a funnel, its annoying. I dont want to have to boil the bowl often, the beauty of hookah is in the setup more than the teardown. I dont like black gunk on my bowls, although sometimes you cant help it, its easier to get stuff clogging your vortex holes than a giant tangiers funnel bowl hole.

thinking that my vortex was a bad batch vortex, i am considering another bowl to give them a chance...not certain yet.

also about a scallimod...if its glass, its a pain to clean as well...and having a peice of glass with black and brown stains in my bowl isnt appealing to me, so i just avoid it.

i would argue its a knock off issue, my friend bout a tangiers phunnel before there were knock offs and had the issue and a lot of people have had the issues with tangiers ones (yes there are a large number of issues with the knock offs though). its just a manufacturing flaw.

as to the cleaning i dont think the vortex is very hard to clean, a scotch brite pad works perfectly fine to get mine nice but i know some people get more tobacco to stick than others so it might just be individual situations

-matt
Old September 21st, 2009, 01:15 AM
Sui
Hookah Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by photolinger View Post

Agreed, I love my clay bowl, its perfect for just me. I think most people dont like them because they over pack them or apply too much heat too fast, causing the dreaded burnt shisha! I think I might just get a bigger egyptian clay bowl for my mates lol
Old September 21st, 2009, 04:06 AM
sc607b
Hookah Newbie

i'd probably go with a small phunnel but you'll be happy with either bowl. getting a different size egyptian bowl is also a good idea unless you love smoking super wet shisha.
Old September 21st, 2009, 04:48 AM
iamjack
Hookah Newbie

I own vortex, phunnels, and reg bowls... I dont care for the vortex... but I LOVE my
Tangiers Small Phunnel. and my mya bowls. thats all lol... do not get a chinese knock off of a phunnel... buy the real thing.
Old September 21st, 2009, 05:29 AM
BigE
Hookah Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to BigE

Although I have never smoked Tangiers or used a phunnel. I have a Vortex. I think these bowls are overrated. At one point I did say the Vortex is the best,but now I take it back. With the Vortex,the flavor stays in the bowl which is always hot making the flavor disappear faster. In my opinion a regular egyptian bowl works fine, sure the juices are running down the stem and into the vase,but the flavor is still there.
Old September 21st, 2009, 10:49 AM
Sui
Hookah Enthusiast

So im leaning towards getting the tangier's phunnel large. it says 80-90g of shisha can fit in the bad boy, which is awesome...but im curious can you still use it with a smaller amount of shisha and get good quality smoke? Say I put 20g in it...will I just be sucking on charcoal?
Old September 21st, 2009, 11:24 AM
flippy
Hookah Enthusiast

I have a Chinese Phunnel right now and can't stand it, I'm going to pick up a small Tangiers Phunnel soon.
Old September 21st, 2009, 11:44 AM
Sui
Hookah Enthusiast

Alrighty then...the sticks are in the fire.

I have a small tangiers phunnel coming from our boy Hookah-John.
Old September 21st, 2009, 06:45 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Small punnel is all you need. I guess the vortex works too, but phunnels are hand-made and better quality.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook