Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

My first Hookah:turkish

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share
Old September 22nd, 2009, 08:09 AM
Hookah Newbie
Default My first Hookah:turkish

My entering in this forums was quite a long time ago but initially my idea was to learn some tricks to enchant my quite rare smoking at my friends because I didn't own a hookah...until last week. I've been in holiday in Turkey and I tought that it was the best oportunity to buy my first rig.
As I read from the forums I didn't search a brand one(like KM or MZ) and searched for an autentical one. What I've bought is a ~85cm turkish handmade hookah with 3 bowls and 11 packs of shiha(Kaya,Serbetly,Rosanna) for 100EUR. I choose all the parts by my self(stem, vase, hose) and I think it looks pretty good.

I chose plain clay bowls because I can find shiny ones in the shop from my town but those looked more authentic..

The hose is made of leather(I can see the layers at the joints) and the guy told me that it has some sort of wood inside the mouth piece that
enchants smoke(no ideea).

The vase was the cheapest part. It is simple glass but i like the design.

The stem is my favourite part. It is made of brass and the guy finished carving the pattern and polished it in front of me. He showed me his workshop where he makes all his stems. He also told me that all his patterns are unique(don't really think so) and just one piece is made. The main pattern is the stamp that was used by the sultan. I must say that is really heavy.

Here it is ready to go The pull is great!

So what do you think about my first hookah? Was it a good deal?

PS:sorry for my mistakes but my native language is Romanian...

Last edited by todorangrg; September 22nd, 2009 at 08:11 AM.
Old September 22nd, 2009, 08:16 AM
Hookah Newbie
Default Re: My first Hookah:turkish

wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old September 22nd, 2009, 08:49 AM
Hookah Newbie

OMG! I almost bought an identical hookah! It was dark purple rather than black, ended up buying a totally different one tho! It smokes pretty good too. Where in turkey did u get yours from?
Old September 22nd, 2009, 09:04 AM
Hookah Guru

That is magnificent! Be proud of your hookah!
Old September 22nd, 2009, 10:25 AM
Hookah Aficionado

That's a thing of beauty!
I like the decorations on it!

And good choice with going with the natural bowls! I would have done the same thing!
Old September 22nd, 2009, 11:35 AM
Mad Alchemist

Beautiful rig. I hope it treats you well. That must have been quite the moment to see him finishing your stem as you poke to him. It looks like he takes basic brass stems and then applies the design to them. Beautiful none the less.
Old September 22nd, 2009, 11:51 AM
Hookah Newbie

I bought mine from a shop in Kushadashi. There was a guy in front of me that was buying a pretty bad hookah from the guy(thin stem, crappy hose and very thin wind-cover(mine is really thick)) with about 150EUR(no Shisha). My luck was that I was romanian and his girlfriend was also from Romania.

He first offered me cheap copper stems but I said I want brass. After he showed me everything he had I wasn't pleased and he remembered that he had an unfinished one upstairs in his workshop. There I've met my stem.
He showed me his workshop in which he makes everything. Even the plain brass stem is made there( I saw stems that weren't welded yet). He makes first 4 pieces, he decorates the inaccessible zones and after he welds them. At the end(the part I saw) he makes the big carving in the middle.

One question for the ones that tried Serbetli. I had so far just verrrrrry crappy quick-lights and used just one at a time but I haven't managed to bake the Serbetli. Is it a bad quality shisha or there's just not enough heat?The possibility of being fake is I think excluded because the pack has tobacco stamp on it.
Second: which is better in your opinion: Serbetly of Kaya? I want to sell some of my packs(in Romania you make a good deal with it, double price) and I don't know which one.

Last edited by todorangrg; September 22nd, 2009 at 12:08 PM.
Old September 22nd, 2009, 10:59 PM
Hookah Nut

that thing is sexy Ive been looking to get one myself just be careful when smoking because you can't clear the vase if the smoke get's harsh... There was a hookah shop by me that had them but it shut down after a fire =( also i believe that's a camel leather hose and will retain flavor but not too bad and is not washable other than that it's an amazing find
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook