Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

No flavor!

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old September 23rd, 2009, 07:21 PM
slydevil13
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to slydevil13
Exclamation No flavor!

Hey guys I was so excited to get Starbuzz X on the beach, but when i smoked it today, I really didn't taste much flavor. Is there a reason for this or any tips on how to get it more flavorful?
Old September 23rd, 2009, 07:30 PM
luqyno1
Hookah Nut

Default Re: No flavor!

few questions first
[LIST][*]what bowl are u using? if its a egyptian dont build it too high and sprinkle the tobacco, and if its a phunnel pack the shit out of it, and dnt be shy about aswell[*]what coals are you using? if they any type of quick lite coals, ditch them and get some naturals[*]how much coal are u putting on? if there is too much or too less youll be getting low smoke even less flavour, or plentyfull smoke and no flavour ( 2-3 cocos on a phunnel, 1-2 on an egyptian)[*]hole pattern? if theres too much again much smoke no flavour, and if theres less holes then not enuff flavour[*]your hookah? what type is it, are theyre air leaks, check to mek sure[*]water level? overlooked too much should be about 1 inch above the downstream[/LIST]and also pictures and a better description about exactly how your doing all of the above so we can help diagnose the situation.......anything ive nt covered should be covered by sambooka, patelbadboy, dunkel, photolinger and the other elites soon enuff
Old September 23rd, 2009, 07:34 PM
slydevil13
Hookah Nut

i am using a mya qt default bowl and i keep the water as you say, 3 kings quick lights, i have natural coconut coals but they keep dying out while smoking so i got annoyed.
Old September 23rd, 2009, 07:40 PM
luqyno1
Hookah Nut

ide have to say the number of quicklites, thats just too much for a standard mya bowl, 2 should be enuff and you should get hold of some coconaras they last forever, but yh mainly id say 2 quicklites should be enuff 3 is pushing it, all that heat would burn the shisha or definately overpower it
Old September 23rd, 2009, 07:47 PM
Sui
Hookah Enthusiast

[quote=luqyno1;199390]few questions first

[LIST][*]what coals are you using? if they any type of quick lite coals, ditch them and get some naturalsquote][/LIST]CH QL ftw.
Old September 23rd, 2009, 09:36 PM
HippieMama
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by slydevil13 View Post
i have natural coconut coals but they keep dying out while smoking so i got annoyed.
Are you letting them heat until they are glowing red/orange all the way through before putting them on your bowl? I use ******* Hookah naturals. I put them on the coil burner for about seven to eight minutes, flipping them once halfway through, and have never had trouble with them dying out until they're literally just done.
Old September 23rd, 2009, 09:49 PM
Dakins
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sui View Post
CH QL ftw.
Woah, careful with the acronyms.
Old September 23rd, 2009, 09:51 PM
photolinger
Arabian Sensation

Send a message via AIM to photolinger Send a message via MSN to photolinger Send a message via Yahoo to photolinger Send a message via Skype™ to photolinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakins View Post
Woah, careful with the acronyms.
******* Hookah
Quick Lights
For The Win

for those of us fortunate enough not to know what that means.

"blu mist rulz dawg an that stuff ain't like it an if youz don't agree you bez a shithead yo" - Hajo Flettner
Old September 23rd, 2009, 10:17 PM
Demonix
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Demonix

We don't have a thread about this on here for newbies having trouble?
I think we should just like the "which hookah should I get"

Last edited by photolinger; September 23rd, 2009 at 10:35 PM. Reason: oops
Old September 23rd, 2009, 10:36 PM
photolinger
Arabian Sensation

Send a message via AIM to photolinger Send a message via MSN to photolinger Send a message via Yahoo to photolinger Send a message via Skype™ to photolinger

In progress, but takes a while.

"blu mist rulz dawg an that stuff ain't like it an if youz don't agree you bez a shithead yo" - Hajo Flettner
Old September 24th, 2009, 05:33 AM
MrDoo
Hookah Newbie

In general, I have found starbuzz lacking in taste. I have the mint and the watermelon, and have tried at least a dozen other flavors at local hookah lounges. If I didn't know ahead of time what flavor I ordered, I wouldn't be able to tell what I was smoking, because the taste is just that faint. I do like the clouds off of SB though.

I use my starbuzz flavors to cut other stronger flavors. Like Mizo Mint and Mizo Apple are really strong, so I mix in 1/3 SB, mellows the taste a bit and improves the clouds.

As far as coals go, I have CH QL's and 3 kings QL's, and I can't tell the difference as far as flavor, both are good products. The 3 kings seem to be less maintenance. 3 QL coals is too many imo. I use 2 CHs on a standard Mya bowl, or 1 coal if using 40mm QLs. If using the larger Mya bowl, I use 3 CHs or 2 QLs.

Last edited by MrDoo; September 24th, 2009 at 05:42 AM.
Old September 24th, 2009, 08:39 AM
Sui
Hookah Enthusiast

[quote=MrDoo;199574]In general, I have found starbuzz lacking in taste. I have the mint and the watermelon, and have tried at least a dozen other flavors at local hookah lounges. If I didn't know ahead of time what flavor I ordered, I wouldn't be able to tell what I was smoking, because the taste is just that faint. I do like the clouds off of SB though.quote]

I find this to be true!...but only to an extent.

With starbuzz I would advise using a vortex/phunnel bowl, so far everything starbuzz I have tried has been SUPER juicy, only problem is it seems that juice needs to be concentrated better for flavor. I think this because when I use my egyptian bowl I take it off and my stem/grommet is COVERED with goop. (when using SB...I still love the brand though)
Old September 24th, 2009, 10:05 PM
snoman
Hookah Newbie

ive baught 3 kinds coals and they leave a bad taste. none of my friends can even smoke it. but if i switch to ch its amazing.
Old September 24th, 2009, 10:15 PM
Aribomb
Hookah Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Aribomb Send a message via MSN to Aribomb

U have had starbuzz sex on the beach and at first it had almost flavor but after i played around with the coals for awhile i got the flavor out its kind of weird
Old September 24th, 2009, 10:16 PM
Tonya
Hookah Newbie

im not a fan of starbuzz. i have also tried many flavors, but none have satisfied me. i recommend tonic shisha. AMAZING!
Old September 24th, 2009, 10:18 PM
Aribomb
Hookah Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Aribomb Send a message via MSN to Aribomb

i LOVE starbuzz tonic is ok i have had it i like the strawberry citrus mint by tonic
Old September 24th, 2009, 10:23 PM
Tonya
Hookah Newbie

irish cream by tonic is my favorite. the royalty tobacco one is pretty good but not thick smoke.
Old October 20th, 2009, 04:29 PM
slydevil13
Hookah Nut

where can i get tonic shisha from?
Old October 20th, 2009, 05:11 PM
Hayter
Hookah Guru

I love starbuzz. I have had the X on the beach, i have to admit, this flavor is pale. There really wasnt puch of it, and takes a lot of heat to pull the flavor out. With the 3 coals, you should have had pretty good flavor, and GREAT clouds.

The really great thing about starbuzz is that you can really pack on the heat, and it wont burn that easily. (in my experience). Try it again. Use the 3 coals and a wind cover.
Old October 20th, 2009, 06:03 PM
ajax0000
Hookah Nut

woah 3 QLs i used my small stock MYA bowl yday for the first time, with a 40mm 3 kings QL. i used 1 QL cut in half and this is plenty for the small MYA bowl. a little foil crown aswell to warm it up and when the coals get smaller.

i couldnt imagine how you got any flavour out of that, must have tasted way too harsh. mind you ive not had starbuzz but i sure it cant take 3 QL. i dont even know how you could fit 3 onto a bowl!!!

try it with 1 QL broken in half. a and foil windcover fr a little extra heat if needed.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook