Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

brass or steel stem?

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old October 9th, 2009, 03:36 PM
ludos367
Hookah Newbie

Default brass or steel stem?

hey guys i was checking the newguide again and noticed tht photolinger said
The brass varieties tend to be considered of a higher quality than their steel counterparts on KMs....i just wanted to know why?? does brass not rust? (excuse my ignorance) and is this the same with more or less all generic and non generic hookahs?

thanks!
Old October 9th, 2009, 04:25 PM
foibled
Hookah Pro

Default Re: brass or steel stem?

Rust refers to the oxidation of iron so brass does not rust. It oxidizes just like iron, but the process is passivating. IOW the corrosion/oxidation layer that forms on brass reduces the permeability of oxygen to the underlying copper/zinc, protecting the brass from further oxidation. Rust can also be passivating depending on the conditions that it forms under but in most cases general corrosion of iron isn't (the red flaky stuff aka hematite or Fe2O3). Bluing of stainless steels is an example of passivating rust (magnetite or Fe3O4).

I would disagree that brass KMs are higher quality than the formed steel hollow stems. The assembly methods on both are mostly the same, the only difference being the pieces used. Brass stems are generally thought more highly of because they are heavier.

I've examined quite a few KMs and I've seen hollow stem KMs built better than brass stem KMs and vice versa. If there is one consistent thing I've noticed about KM stems it's that their quality isn't consistent. :P

edit: I should clarify that I meant real bluing of steel, not the half-assed done to make it look pretty bluing.

Last edited by foibled; October 9th, 2009 at 04:28 PM.
Old October 9th, 2009, 05:21 PM
photolinger
Arabian Sensation

Send a message via AIM to photolinger Send a message via MSN to photolinger Send a message via Yahoo to photolinger Send a message via Skype™ to photolinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by foibled View Post
Rust refers to the oxidation of iron so brass does not rust. It oxidizes just like iron, but the process is passivating. IOW the corrosion/oxidation layer that forms on brass reduces the permeability of oxygen to the underlying copper/zinc, protecting the brass from further oxidation. Rust can also be passivating depending on the conditions that it forms under but in most cases general corrosion of iron isn't (the red flaky stuff aka hematite or Fe2O3). Bluing of stainless steels is an example of passivating rust (magnetite or Fe3O4).

I would disagree that brass KMs are higher quality than the formed steel hollow stems. The assembly methods on both are mostly the same, the only difference being the pieces used. Brass stems are generally thought more highly of because they are heavier.

I've examined quite a few KMs and I've seen hollow stem KMs built better than brass stem KMs and vice versa. If there is one consistent thing I've noticed about KM stems it's that their quality isn't consistent. :P

edit: I should clarify that I meant real bluing of steel, not the half-assed done to make it look pretty bluing.
haha good write up.

what i meant when i said higher quality was yes, the heavier non hallow stems are a tad more durable and they tend to be the prettier ones to, compared to their only steel or steel and acrylic ("pear") varieties

"blu mist rulz dawg an that stuff ain't like it an if youz don't agree you bez a shithead yo" - Hajo Flettner
Old October 9th, 2009, 07:36 PM
foibled
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by photolinger View Post
what i meant when i said higher quality was yes, the heavier non hallow stems are a tad more durable and they tend to be the prettier ones to, compared to their only steel or steel and acrylic ("pear") varieties
Before some of the current hollow stemmed KMs came out, I recommended the trimetals and brass stems as well for those same reasons. I was never a big fan of acrylic stem inserts.

This upcoming "2010 Series" of premium KMs from John should also put an end to the notion that the solid stem KMs are built better than hollows. Those look to be very good stems especially since most of them have the KM hearts I like the most due to them having wider gauge internals than trimetals or older KMs.
Old October 9th, 2009, 07:40 PM
MrBungle
AFNSBFLAVOUR

as long as you take care of your rig, steel or brass, it will last a lifetime IMO. I own both and structurally they are equally solid. I still don't know why weight has anything to do with anything...the heavier they are the harder they fall lol

Old October 10th, 2009, 05:52 AM
ludos367
Hookah Newbie

thanks for clearing up my confusion!! it's just that a bit of my small hookah rusted cause i left the water for a week (stupid) and now the common chamber is rusted as well and u can imagine the flavour when i pull (ugh)...oh well no big deal wasnt the best anyway but it was gd for portability...hope the local shop has replacements...but those common chambers are a pain in the ass i must say
Old October 10th, 2009, 01:12 PM
photolinger
Arabian Sensation

Send a message via AIM to photolinger Send a message via MSN to photolinger Send a message via Yahoo to photolinger Send a message via Skype™ to photolinger

my km ssr that i just sold smokes as well as my americana, but i feel that my americana is better, because i do like the weight, it feels more solid, and yeah because of that, i feel its stronger.... kind of like a car door. you know the difference between the way say my subaru's door closes vs my dad's 7 series for instance...it just feels better...

theyll do the exact same thing though

"blu mist rulz dawg an that stuff ain't like it an if youz don't agree you bez a shithead yo" - Hajo Flettner
Old October 10th, 2009, 02:52 PM
MrBungle
AFNSBFLAVOUR

just load your doors with lots of sound dampening product...it'll feel like a tank hatch lol

Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook