Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Help with AF tobacco....

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old October 13th, 2009, 12:49 PM
mybrohshi5
Hookah Nut

Default Help with AF tobacco....

Ok so here is my problem. As soon as i start smoking i get a tingle in the back of my throat and there is hardly any smoke at all. I try taking one of the coals off but it doesnt go away. So next i tried starting with two coals. Same problem.

I pack my bowl like i always do (lightly sprinkling it in). I use HD foil with 2 to 3 rows of cirlces with holes evenly spaced apart. then i place 3 coals around the outer edge of the bowl. I have AF natural coals and diamante jap coals.

I make sure the coals are fully lit before placing them on the bowl. (at least 10 minutes on the burner)

I have not had a pleasant smoke with strong flavor, no tingle, and lots of smoke for a while now.

Is it the coals or is there a special way to pack the bowl with AF tobacco?

I used to use coconaras and i never had a bad smoke with them so maybe i just need to go buy some more of those?

Any help would be great. Thank you
Old October 13th, 2009, 12:53 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Default Re: Help with AF tobacco....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mybrohshi5 View Post
Ok so here is my problem. As soon as i start smoking i get a tingle in the back of my throat and there is hardly any smoke at all. I try taking one of the coals off but it doesnt go away. So next i tried starting with two coals. Same problem.

I pack my bowl like i always do (lightly sprinkling it in). I use HD foil with 2 to 3 rows of cirlces with holes evenly spaced apart. then i place 3 coals around the outer edge of the bowl. I have AF natural coals and diamante jap coals.

I make sure the coals are fully lit before placing them on the bowl. (at least 10 minutes on the burner)

I have not had a pleasant smoke with strong flavor, no tingle, and lots of smoke for a while now.

Is it the coals or is there a special way to pack the bowl with AF tobacco?

I used to use coconaras and i never had a bad smoke with them so maybe i just need to go buy some more of those?

Any help would be great. Thank you
coconaras have to burn WAY too hot for AF, AF has that tiny little baby cut that will, no matter what and without fail, smoke harsh.

There's people that smoke it, but then more people that say they have problems with it. In my experience, it's impossible to smoke. Any flavor. They taste good for awhile, but then the smoke dies down and you get that lovely tingle and you add another coal and you get a mouthful of pain.

People will tell you there methods, but it never works.

Good Luck.

I would recommend not smoking AF. That's what i do.
Old October 13th, 2009, 12:55 PM
mybrohshi5
Hookah Nut

Thank you. What do you smoke? I used to smoke SB and Fantasia and never had any problems with those so maybe i should stick to that stuff.

Any other suggestions?
Old October 13th, 2009, 12:55 PM
abzy786
Hookah Enthusiast

erm try using 2 coals on the outter edge of the bowl and slowley move them in. this should work and if the tingle is still there and 1 more coal. some times AF needs alot of heat

HP Feedback - http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/showt...hlight=abzy786
Old October 13th, 2009, 01:52 PM
Coyotero
Hookah Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenSilk View Post
coconaras have to burn WAY too hot for AF, AF has that tiny little baby cut that will, no matter what and without fail, smoke harsh.

There's people that smoke it, but then more people that say they have problems with it. In my experience, it's impossible to smoke. Any flavor. They taste good for awhile, but then the smoke dies down and you get that lovely tingle and you add another coal and you get a mouthful of pain.

People will tell you there methods, but it never works.

Good Luck.

I would recommend not smoking AF. That's what i do.
I smoke AF almost every day, and use coconaras exclusively. NEVER ONCE had a problem with it getting harsh.

People around here like to rail on AF a lot, and personally, I think unfairly.
Old October 13th, 2009, 01:54 PM
Hayter
Hookah Guru

I have found that AF just has that tingle thing. I smoked lemon and the grape, both with 3 coals. Didnt really get harsh, but i was never able to get rid of that throat tingle thing. I think AF is like tangiers and you just have to deal with that throat thing.
Old October 13th, 2009, 01:59 PM
Sui
Hookah Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotero View Post
People around here like to rail on AF a lot, and personally, I think unfairly.

Quoted for truth.

I generally dont smoke AF as often as say Nahkla but I can say its a decent tobacco. I always have a 250g of AF peach, for me its their best flavor.

As for this thread: I have no idea...Are you getting enough fluids? !Ah!
Old October 13th, 2009, 02:05 PM
Coyotero
Hookah Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sui View Post
Quoted for truth.

I generally dont smoke AF as often as say Nahkla but I can say its a decent tobacco. I always have a 250g of AF peach, for me its their best flavor.

As for this thread: I have no idea...Are you getting enough fluids? !Ah!
Actually, that's not a bad suggestion. I find I get a slight mouth tickle if I smoke when I'm thirsty. Having a glass of water on hand takes care of it.

I've never used AF or Japanese coals... I have heard bad things about the AF nattys though. Coconara's work great for me, so that's what I stick with.

As for AF, I think it's a great go-to tobacco. It's not as flavorful or long-lasting as, say Fumari, but it's also not nearly as expensive. For something to smoke on everyday, it's never failed me.
Old October 13th, 2009, 02:31 PM
mybrohshi5
Hookah Nut

yeah i always have a glass of ice water when i smoke cause i usually get really thirsty anyways lol.

Maybe AF just isnt for me. I will give it a few more shots after i get some coconaras and see how it works out for me.
Old October 13th, 2009, 02:37 PM
opticalshadow
Banned

i smoke AF from time to time, never had a bad bowl, 2 layers of foil, three rows of alternating holes and 3 CH Ql's for round one and then two for each round after (small tang phunnel)

i keep the shisha down a bit lower then i do with other brand though, i havent used cocos yet so idk if its the coal.
Old October 13th, 2009, 03:32 PM
Bandito
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mybrohshi5 View Post
As soon as i start smoking i get a tingle in the back of my throat and there is hardly any smoke at all. I try taking one of the coals off but it doesnt go away. So next i tried starting with two coals. Same problem.

I pack my bowl like i always do (lightly sprinkling it in). I use HD foil with 2 to 3 rows of cirlces with holes evenly spaced apart. then i place 3 coals around the outer edge of the bowl.

Honestly your dilemma is exactly identical to the situation i have now. I bought 3 250g tubs of AF after reading so many great reviews, and the past 2 or 3 attempts ive made at smoking it have been terrible.

I have been meaning to try this but i havent gotten a chance to have a session recently, but try splitting the coals in half. Try out 3 half-pieces of your coals, making 1.5 coals in total, and pack your bowl just as you have and do everything else the same and see if it helps.

I see people saying to put on 3 coals, but in my first couple sessions i noticed the shisha was very heat-sensitive and easy to burn, so try it out with half-coals

And also, depending on the tobacco, the case may be that 1 coal is not enough heat, and 2 is too much, so 1 and a half might be perfect. You might want to add in a windcover to experiment with finding the right amount of heat, but definitely it is better to start off with too little heat and add more than start with too much and burn the bowl

Last edited by Bandito; October 13th, 2009 at 03:46 PM.
Old October 13th, 2009, 04:15 PM
SynysterBuzz
Hookah Nut

Send a message via MSN to SynysterBuzz

with AF i usually am very VERY careful when packing.
i pack normally a bit under the rim or so.
i run something straight over the top to make sure nothing is sticking up.
if it is i pat down a little but careful to not pack too tightly.
then i double layer the foil.
i use two pieces of diamantes or just a regular QL and it usually works for me.
i've found that some flavors have that tingle while others dont.
i tried cola recently and it didn't have ANY throat tingle and has got to be the smoothest smoke i've ever had.
Old October 13th, 2009, 05:18 PM
mybrohshi5
Hookah Nut

awesome. im gonna try it out right now and see how it works out =) thanks guys
Old October 13th, 2009, 05:54 PM
iang
Hookah Newbie

If you havent already, try using a vortex bowl packed lightly to bottom of the holes in the spire. I do this with 2 layers of foil and 3 coconaras with a windcover on and off. It usually gives a smooth smoke with the few flavours of AF i have tried. Too much heat will usually give you the throat tingle with AF. The vortex bowl will really help with this as there will be a large gap between the foil/coals and the shisha. goodluck, dont give up on the AF just yet.
Old October 13th, 2009, 07:02 PM
mybrohshi5
Hookah Nut

Found my problem. I guess im not a AF tobacco guy. Im smokin some Fantasia blueberry right now and am not having any problems.

Thanks for all the input
Old October 13th, 2009, 07:53 PM
DanyalAkkaya
Hookah Pro

Yeah some AF flavors just do give a tingle. I smoked AF watermelon and I got that tingle, then I smoked AF berry and it was perfectly fine. I think it's just something that add in certain flavors that give that tingle feeling.

What flavor were you smoking?
Old October 13th, 2009, 08:15 PM
Jemmay
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to Jemmay Send a message via MSN to Jemmay Send a message via Yahoo to Jemmay Send a message via Skype™ to Jemmay

AF is one of my go-to brands when I'm strapped for cash and not looking for a buzz. I use a loosely-packed small funnel bowl with 3 CH naturals and get amazing flavor and clouds. Maybe it's just your flavor.
Old October 13th, 2009, 08:49 PM
flippy
Hookah Enthusiast

I think its the flavors, AF golden strawberry is awesome, but Watermelon and Vanilla give me tingles.
Old October 13th, 2009, 09:02 PM
mybrohshi5
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanyalAkkaya View Post
Yeah some AF flavors just do give a tingle. I smoked AF watermelon and I got that tingle, then I smoked AF berry and it was perfectly fine. I think it's just something that add in certain flavors that give that tingle feeling.

What flavor were you smoking?
I tried smoking esk apple last night and it didnt work then i just tried smoking cinnamon and it smelled amazing but still got that tingle and was getting hardly any smoke =(
Old October 13th, 2009, 09:04 PM
mybrohshi5
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by flippy View Post
I think its the flavors, AF golden strawberry is awesome, but Watermelon and Vanilla give me tingles.
What was your set up when you smoked strawberry? what bowl, how many coals, etc?
Old October 14th, 2009, 10:56 AM
abzy786
Hookah Enthusiast

how many coals are you using

Old October 14th, 2009, 11:08 AM
mybrohshi5
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by abzy786 View Post
how many coals are you using
When i tried esk. apple i started off with two then wasnt getting any smoke so i added a third and started to get a bad tingle but still no smoke. Its so weird. I used a small phunnel on this.

Then when i smoke cinnamon i used 1.5 coals and was getting nothing so i added another half of a coal and a windcover and started to get some smoke but still got that tingle. i used a large egyptian on this.

I used diamante coals on both bowls
Old October 14th, 2009, 08:16 PM
abzy786
Hookah Enthusiast

Use cocos it will make a huge diffrence

Old October 14th, 2009, 08:30 PM
MAD_HATTER
Hookah Master

i suggest buying yourself some nakhla... leaves you wanting more lol
Old October 14th, 2009, 10:19 PM
twoapplesplease
Hookah Guru

more tobacco and double foil.(coconara's are to hot)

Pack it just like Dee's nakhla overpack vidio...and use double foil....yes I know its AF he's asking about.
Try it and see for your self.(dee's video is a perfect example of how to pack AF)