Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Do you think Hookahs is a temporary trend or the beginning of the future

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old December 31st, 2007, 09:51 PM
ExoticImports
Vendor

Default Do you think Hookahs is a temporary trend or the beginning of the future

[font=Verdana]Some people say hookahs are here to stay, Other say hookahs are just a fab that in the states, but which is it? Its been around for hundreds of years in the middle east but then again there is no tobacco laws in those states. Do you see yourself smoking hookah 5 years from now? Please PM me if you guys want as well. Thank you

Gabriel
Exotic Imports USA
http://LetsHookah.com
[/font]
Old December 31st, 2007, 11:41 PM
HookahMaster
Hookah Pro

Default Re: Do you think Hookahs is a temporary trend or the beginning of the future

I definetly see myself smoking hookah five years from now... I don't think it's just a temporary trend, I think it's here to stay... it's relaxing and fun, I don't think that it will die out anytime soon for these reasons...
Old December 31st, 2007, 11:44 PM
Mutter
Hookah Newbie

Default Re: Do you think Hookahs is a temporary trend or the beginning of the future

for the college students who think its cool to go to hookah bars and listen to loud blaring music while drunk off their ass, yes its just a fad. for those who own their own hookah and smoke for the flavor and/or buzz, no i dont think its a fad
Old January 1st, 2008, 11:42 AM
Lakemonster
Hookah Enthusiast

Fad 4 sure.s

Something else will come along and the kids will take the money elsewhere.
Old January 1st, 2008, 11:51 AM
kingmaddog
Hookah Nut

Send a message via ICQ to kingmaddog Send a message via AIM to kingmaddog Send a message via MSN to kingmaddog Send a message via Yahoo to kingmaddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutter
for the college students who think its cool to go to hookah bars and listen to loud blaring music while drunk off their ass, yes its just a fad. for those who own their own hookah and smoke for the flavor and/or buzz, no i dont think its a fad
I agree with mutter on this one. I think that the college students will find somewhere else to hang out eventually. IMO, I consider hookah as a hobby. I do see myself smoking hookah in 5 years.
Old January 1st, 2008, 03:05 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

I hope to be smoking in 5 years, though probably not as much, just an occasional smoke now and then.

http://www.hookahpro.com - Hookah Pro Community - Hookah Forum
~Favorite Hookah~ Khalil Mamoon Amer .. (she leans, so I call her Eileen)
~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Al Fakher Mint, Al Fakher Orange, Al Fakher Cinnamon
HookahPro.com .. powered by Elites!
Old January 1st, 2008, 04:27 PM
mr weenis
Hookah Nut

it's a mix of both, as i see it. the surge of popularity it's been having lately is the fad, but from that fad, people like me (and.....YOU) will keep it around after the fad dies. i plan to smoke hookah in front of my kids, taunting them with it's sweet tantilizing flavour with every draw, telling them to wait until they're older to smoke....

bwahahaha
Old January 1st, 2008, 05:27 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

I think that whole narghile thing will become far less popular in the states within the next 3 - 5 years. Primarily it seems that the people into it are under 30 and most of them will be into what ever is trendy at the moment. Also, narghile smoling takes a fair amount of time and effort in terms of set up and cleaning which has and will continue to drive a lot of people away from the hobby. Of course then relentless march of the tobacco prohibitionist movement banning public smoking will shrink the number lounges around while tax increases will hurt everyone.

What I see in the future is a much smaller number of casual/occasional smokers going shisha cafes which will be far less common then they are now. I do see the serious smoker ( ex. most of the people that are forum regulars ) staying with it and the hobby drifting up scale like cigars did back in the '90s. On the whole the scene will be smaller then it is now but bigger then it was 5 years ago.
Old January 1st, 2008, 06:51 PM
daedra
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to daedra

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr weenis
i plan to smoke hookah in front of my kids, taunting them with it's sweet tantilizing flavour with every draw, telling them to wait until they're older to smoke....

bwahahaha
wtf HAHAHA, this worries me. sounds like some sorta hookah smoking michael jackson!
Old January 1st, 2008, 07:19 PM
Cj Two A
Hookah Nut

I don't believe the hookah has reached it's max yet for people interested in it. I do think that it will be a fad, but one with far more staying power than cigars had in the 90's. I started during a trip to canada, and after my first hit I swore I would buy one. Since I bought one I've brought mine to quite a few parties (sets up great on the beer pong table), and almost every time I hear someone say they've got to get one(and a lot of them have followed through), or that it's the best thing they've had etc.. I'm sure it will die down some, but it will be a part of my life for a long time. Hookah's also have to lounge scene going for them. You can go to a hookah lounge and relax and do nothing else.. Every time I've gone to a cigar bar it seemed like I had to be buying drinks or something else at the same time.
Old January 1st, 2008, 09:23 PM
waterboij23
Hookah Nut

I think Hookah is a temp trend for many in the states. I smoked it a couple times with friends a while back then really got into it. I researched and researched. learned a lot about it. To this day, I now own 5 hookahs for personal use. I enjoy every part or it. From packing the bowl, to smoking it , then cleaning it. I also enjoy shopping around for new items and of course new Hookahs and trying out new stuff along with new flavors of shisha. To answer the question, Yes I see myself still smoking in 5 years. It believe it will die down a lot for most though. It has become a kind of like hobby for me. Getting to be kind of an expensive one.
Old January 1st, 2008, 09:31 PM
daedra
Hookah Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboij23
I enjoy every part or it. From packing the bowl, to smoking it , then cleaning it.
you can come over to my house if you like haha. hookah is really lovable. i took my gf to a bar for the first time and she couldnt stop talking about how fun the hookah was. i have another friend who comes over every friday to smoke. etc etc etc.. i dont think they enjoy it as a trend, i think they enjoy it for what it is: relaxation. i dont think the college boys who go to the hookah bars are doing it for a trend, i think they are doing it for what it is: relaxation.

i know there are people who buy a hookah and just stick it in their closet a month later but we do the same with take for example gaming systems. you have the diehards, and then you have the people who enjoyed it for a short time but went onto something else.
Old January 1st, 2008, 09:39 PM
waterboij23
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by daedra
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboij23
I enjoy every part or it. From packing the bowl, to smoking it , then cleaning it.
you can come over to my house if you like haha. hookah is really lovable.
well, the cleaning part is the part i least like.
Old January 2nd, 2008, 12:20 AM
ExoticImports
Vendor

Yes I also hate cleaning hookahs but you have to. I clean my hookah every 3 uses. Sad but true. But if I was serving the hookah, I would clean them after every use
Old January 3rd, 2008, 08:35 AM
shishaholiC
Hookah Pro

In the states hookah is a fad IMO. But here where i live it's been around for many years and if you go to shisha lounges and stuff you'll mainly see people ranging from 30-50 years old and musch less in their 20's.
Old January 3rd, 2008, 09:00 AM
FURsAKeN
Hookah Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishaholiC
In the states hookah is a fad IMO.
I agree with shisha, it is a major fad. For the poeple who go to the lounges, just go because their friends go. Granted there will be those who pick it up from the lounge and buy their own rig. But for the people who just go and don't consider buying their own for personal use, its a fad. Everyone has to start somewhere, some just never start.

/root
Old January 3rd, 2008, 12:28 PM
hookahMaster22
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by daedra
i know there are people who buy a hookah and just stick it in their closet a monthlater but we do the same with take for example gaming systems. you have the diehards, and then you have the people who enjoyed it for a short time but went onto something else.
I have met one of two of those people in my day, but nearly all of the hookah owners I know (including myself) go through similar phases. Smoke a month then put it away for a month. I too go through phases where I put it away and forget about it, but then I pick it up a few weeks to a month later and smoke a couple times a day for a few weeks to a few months. I do not think that these people are doing it because it is "in" or "cool". Sometimes its nice to take a break from smoking and do other things for a while.

It is also my opinion that a significant majority of hookah bar/cafe goers are in it for the "fad" reason. With my experience at hookah bars/cafes I have noticed that nearly all of the smokers are young and obnoxious. I question how many of them are actually of smoking age. Most of them look like they are around 16. I rarely smoke in hookah cafes/bars anymore because I can't relax around all of the obnoxious "kids" thinking they are cool because they are smoking.

However I do know this...
My local hookah smoking friends and I have already been smoking hookah for 3+ years and will certainly still be smoking in the years to come.
Old January 3rd, 2008, 06:33 PM
daedra
Hookah Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookahMaster22
It is also my opinion that a significant majority of hookah bar/cafe goers are in it for the "fad" reason. With my experience at hookah bars/cafes I have noticed that nearly all of the smokers are young and obnoxious. I question how many of them are actually of smoking age. Most of them look like they are around 16. I rarely smoke in hookah cafes/bars anymore because I can't relax around all of the obnoxious "kids" thinking they are cool because they are smoking.
haha! funny you would mention this! last night i went to Al-Wahas outdoor BBQ (its in southern california, down the road from Fusion). the food is great, the hookah is great but the kids there ... heres some examples:

-girl is being a idiot and messing with the bowl, somehow a coal flies off and lands on the concrete, she freaks out, "pick it up pick it up!!!", im watching this and thinking, "dinner and a show?"

-a group of about 6 high school kids show up, they crowd into one table and only order one hookah, im thinking, "WTF! borrow more money from mommy!"

-another young girl (with a loud voice) kept saying, "omg, im going to buy one of these hookahs and smoke &*%$ in it!"... im thinking, "stick with rockstar energy drinks and highschool musical"

on and on and on.
Old January 3rd, 2008, 07:56 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

A while back I used to own a narghile lounge/record shop which made decent if far from impressive living for me and a few others. We used to get kids playing with the coals and burning themselves, idiots trying to suck the bottom of the bowl without dropping the coals on their faces and other such stupidity. The worst part of owning that place was having to be nice to some slobbering 15 year old hipster or having some college slut hoping to exchange “personal favours” for her bill which happened about twice a month. Still, in the end the teenagers were worse most of the time.

Eventually it dawned on me that asking for ID when then wanted a session wasn’t enough given that teenagers used to hang around too much and I assumed that some of them had fake Ids. Solved the problem by making everyone that wanted to hang out in café section of the shop ( even if they were simply drinking boba teas or what ever ) had to sign a long list of conditions which had to keep on file as legal protection against stupidity.

I’m glad I sold the place.

Still, the hobby has a lot of very interesting people in it which makes it worth while socially. For the most part, in my experience, the idiots hang out in the cafes while the people worth knowing own their own rigs and smoke at home.
Old January 4th, 2008, 10:56 AM
Huskysibe
Hookah Master

The problem is, Americans jump on every new thing out there. I think the setup time and clean up time is going to be prohibitive as well. Americans are always looking for faster ways to do things and the time it takes to correctly setup a hookah will eventually be the demise of mainstream hookah in america.

Billy
Old January 5th, 2008, 03:26 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

only a handful of people are actually patient. i have one friend, who i hookah with quite a bit, we use my bambino because he doesn't mind taking to time to pass a hose, like everyone else i know DOES. He does his Kamehameha, i do my ring blasters, we have fun without worrying about time. We brew some tea and just relax. With my other friends it's just a scramble to get it ready and get them smoking.

ACtually, i recently have been hanging out with a very hippy-esque dude and met Noodles, this Chinese kid, through him. They are patient as well.

It's matters on the person. Usually the partiers are impatient bastards.

I've had people whine because it takes me 10 minutes to fully set up the hookah and get it smoking, which i think is pretty quick. And alot of people don't come smoke anymore because of time constraints.

I believe that it's the Normal active posters on this forum that will help keep hookah alive.
Old January 5th, 2008, 05:07 PM
FURsAKeN
Hookah Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenSilk
I believe that it's the Normal active posters on this forum that will help keep hookah alive.
I agree to an extent. I believe it is in fact the fadish people that will give hookah extra life and make its future more solid. Think about it, they are constantly wanting to goto a hookah bar and invite as many friends as possible. There is a good chance one of the friends will enjoy it and look further into hookah, and find a deeper passion and meaning to it. I agree the fadish ones make being in a bar quite annoying, but lets face it; they inadvertently bring new blood into our hobby and well known past-time. Who knows, once they get the party out of the blood; they just might stop by again and become just a regular hookah goer.

/root
Old January 6th, 2008, 05:01 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Yes precisely... That's why i get as many people as i can to my house when we hookah. I tell everyoen to bring their friends, and i usually can have up to 20 people in my garage smoking hookahs. I have to set up a bunch... but i have beena sked to order hookahs from about 10 people, and i have gotten them all nice inexpensive rigs. I wish i could have gotten them JandR Syrians... but hey, they want a nice hookah i can hook them up. Then they go home and have their own parties, i've been one of the main people that has been spreading the hookah around.

One problem i've noticed is that Hookahs have been synonymous with drug users, and i can't stand it. I think this could be it's one downfall.
Old January 7th, 2008, 01:07 AM
FURsAKeN
Hookah Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenSilk
One problem i've noticed is that Hookahs have been synonymous with drug users, and i can't stand it. I think this could be it's one downfall.
Very true, but that is where we (the educated hookah user) step in and try to tone that down as much as possible. Like this forum; not allowing drug refrences, exploiting, talking about, and posting pictures of drugs. Hopefully the newly curious person will find Hp or one of the forums like this, and not be subjected to that stereotypical image that has stained our hobby.

/root
Old January 7th, 2008, 10:03 PM
OBY
Hookah Newbie

I have no idea how long I will be smoking hookah but I see this getting bigger and bigger years to come. I dunno after I try something new it becomes big. I live in Eugene Oregon and many years ago there was this new scooter that came out... it had large roller blade wheels and a nice slick aluminum frame. Very light weight and the cost was $99.95 my brothers and I bought the only 3 in town and rode them everywhere.....

Guess what.... about 6 months later you see them everywhere.....

After I started smoking hookah I have met so many people and have gotten them to try it and they are now hooked.... If more people would be more open minded and try new things then it should explode into something amazing... Can't wait to see how the industry changes over the years.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook