Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

How much sheesha

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old November 16th, 2009, 02:45 AM
Cloud9
Hookah Nut

Default How much sheesha

From reading the forums here i can see there are many Lounge owners. What i wanted to know is how much sheesha do you pack in a bowl for your customers?
I have mixed feelings about how much to put because i know some people want to smoke their sheesha for long times but other dont need it to last for longer than 30 minutes.

So any advice on this would be great, Thanks.
Old November 16th, 2009, 03:22 AM
BobMarley
Hookah Guru

Default Re: How much sheesha

First of all I'm not a lounge owner but I will add my dime.

My tip on the business: Since it depends on what tobacco and amount of heat you're using I'm really betting you'll have to experiment with it. Preferably several times with each combination. In any event I'd recommend you do your best to find out what bowl you'll be using and perhaps (I don't know your business plan) mass ordering?

My input as a consumer:

At the lounge I went to in Tampa, sessions would last about 45 minutes with the tobacco they packed. In the one in LA I went to, it would last about twice that.

I remember you're having a more modern lounge with the automation and I thought that was an absolutely brilliant idea! Perhaps you could have them punch in if they want a shorter or longer session? (You could even charge accordingly.)

Anyways I know when I'm at a hookah bar I want to try a bunch of things I've never smoked, but that said, I'm sure many would just want a nice session with their favorite tobacco.

Don't forget your customers will likely constantly want their tobacco changed when they don't like it... Definitely train your servers to ask each party to tell if they don't like what they're smoking imo.

I hope I helped.
Old November 16th, 2009, 04:04 AM
Cloud9
Hookah Nut

not really what i was looking for with this thread but thank you for the input. What you said is very helpful. I think that, like you said, i am just going to have to play around until i think im serving the right amount.

Is it expensive in america at hookah lounges?
Old November 16th, 2009, 05:46 AM
SynysterBuzz
Hookah Nut

Send a message via MSN to SynysterBuzz

i've only been to one hookah lounge and they charged a 5$ fee for a membership for a year and then it was like 15$ per bowl something like that. we used a huge three headed bowl but i can't remember the price of that one, they also offered melon bowls and apple bowls for extra.
and i agree with bobmarley his ideas are actually very well thought.

along with your "amount" dilemma, in my opinion a bowl usually doesnt smoke right unless you just pack the bowl normally. if it doesn't have the right amount of shisha, what i'd do is get different sized bowls, basically plan on carrying all types of bowls? I.E. egyptian, phunnel, vortex, mod, and all the sizes. also a few novelty ones as they attract crowds too, like mulitple head bowls like i had, which you have the option of smoking a bunch of flavors and having them mix or just one at a time which will last forever.. or for just sampling. also the same kinda idea with a multi chambered bowl, instead of just seperate head just the bowls with dividers in them, should work equally well if not better.

i really hope this helped.
don't know if i exactly answered rather than gave my opinion.
good luck though.
Old November 16th, 2009, 08:40 AM
BobMarley
Hookah Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud9 View Post
not really what i was looking for with this thread but thank you for the input. What you said is very helpful. I think that, like you said, i am just going to have to play around until i think im serving the right amount.

Is it expensive in america at hookah lounges?
It really really varies. I went to a hookah lounge in Orange County, California once and they were asking 20 dollars per bowl of Starbuzz. You'll find much cheaper ones (hopefully, lol) depending on where you are.

Sorry if I bored you to tears with my first reply lol, all nighters and nothing to do!
Old November 16th, 2009, 08:52 AM
cherno83
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to cherno83

Well I don't own a lounge or anything but I do help out at one some times. But basically just enough to top off a MOD bowl without packing it too tight. The hookah bars around me all use the same MOD bowl so they pack the same amount.
Old November 16th, 2009, 11:02 AM
glostersa
Hookah Master

Just a point of intrest a Sheesha, Sisha, Waterpipe, Hookah, Argileh, Nargile, Oka Pipe (name used by the Cape Malays for a Hookah Pipe) are all the same thing That is the Pipe you smoke from.

These Pipes are all used to smoke Waterpipe Tobacco or Moassel as it is known. So If you are looking to running a lounge educate your patrons as to the correct naming of the components. the next step will be to determine what your clients are expecting from a session Clouds Flavor Buzz ect that will determine the Moassel to be used and the packing method. just my 2 cents worth.
Old November 16th, 2009, 08:34 PM
Hayter
Hookah Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarley View Post
It really really varies. I went to a hookah lounge in Orange County, California once and they were asking 20 dollars per bowl of Starbuzz. You'll find much cheaper ones (hopefully, lol) depending on where you are.

Sorry if I bored you to tears with my first reply lol, all nighters and nothing to do!
20 bucks a bowl?? Wow thats retarded. Good for them if people pay this. Holy shyte. You are basically paying for a 250g tin, and only getting a bowl of it. Damn that.. lol, actaully now that i think of it, even at 15 bucks a bowl You are still paying for 250g and only getting a bowl.

I am never going to a hookah lounge....
Old November 16th, 2009, 09:04 PM
wootwoot
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarley View Post

For that price! damn it's cheaper to buy your own 250 g tin
Old November 16th, 2009, 09:15 PM
Cloud9
Hookah Nut

Thank you for all of your thoughts. What i think im gonna do is just try and educate the staff at the lounge (my girlfriend, her sister, shouldnt be too hard haha) and try and make sure they have a good understanding of how the shit is supposed to be. Then they should be able to ask customers what kind of a smoke they want, just from that i think we will then be able to tell how much to pack, what to pack, ect. I think this will be the best way, after reading your posts, because then we can decide for the smokers who dont know much about hookah but then give the freedom of selection to the more experienced smokers.

The good thing is the lounge isnt overly busy right now so we still have time to experiment. (most of the customers right now go there for the amazing thai food )

Any more tips and insights wold be great.
Old November 16th, 2009, 11:25 PM
glostersa
Hookah Master

If you look in the review section at all the Tobaccos that have been reviewed it should give you good idea as to the packing Coals ect for the different tobaccos as well as flavor and buzz
Old November 16th, 2009, 11:30 PM
flippy
Hookah Enthusiast

Place near me charges $20 a bowl, that is why I now own my own hookahs.
Old November 16th, 2009, 11:33 PM
photolinger
Arabian Sensation

Send a message via AIM to photolinger Send a message via MSN to photolinger Send a message via Yahoo to photolinger Send a message via Skype™ to photolinger

in atlanta, the places always tried to go light on the tobacco and heavy on the coals. coals were cheaper, and using a lot of heat gives your good flavor for a short time. So it worked out for them on the money end, because each bowl refill was at least another 5 dollars.

This is why i made friends with them and was able to pack my own bowl.

I noticed a lot of those places hired personnel to attract more of a younger male crowd....and these personnel didnt understand how the process really worked at all...ruining the experience, and its the main reason I dont go to hookah bars....i do it better for cheaper with a better pipe!

"blu mist rulz dawg an that stuff ain't like it an if youz don't agree you bez a shithead yo" - Hajo Flettner
Old November 16th, 2009, 11:49 PM
poyoloco
Hookah Newbie

At Fumari their bowls cost 19$ and refills are half price. Not bad if you bring a group of people to help split it with you, but if you're solo might as well buy your own hookah.

The last time I went with friends the bowl lasted around an hour to an hour thirty ish. Not bad for having 4+ people smoking the same hookah. I've also gone alone just for the hell of it because of the awesome atmosphere of the place. That time it only lasted around 45mins to an hour.

I'm guessing that they decide on the amount of shisha depending on how big a group of people there are. Not to sure though.
Old November 16th, 2009, 11:58 PM
DaSebsch
Hookah Aficionado

Quote:
From reading the forums here i can see there are many Lounge owners. What i wanted to know is how much sheesha do you pack in a bowl for your customers?
I have mixed feelings about how much to put because i know some people want to smoke their sheesha for long times but other dont need it to last for longer than 30 minutes.

So any advice on this would be great, Thanks.
I think that you should pack the bowl with the same amount that you would pack for yourself.

Let's say that 3 customers are ordering a bowl of Peach.

Just imagine you and 3 friends are about to smoke, and pack the bowl just like you would pack it for you and your friends.

Honestly, the couple extra grams of tobacco are not going to put a huge dent in your profits, and your customers would be happy.
Old November 17th, 2009, 01:43 AM
Cloud9
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaSebsch View Post
I think that you should pack the bowl with the same amount that you would pack for yourself.

Let's say that 3 customers are ordering a bowl of Peach.

Just imagine you and 3 friends are about to smoke, and pack the bowl just like you would pack it for you and your friends.

Honestly, the couple extra grams of tobacco are not going to put a huge dent in your profits, and your customers would be happy.
well said.

WOW i just converted 20usd into thailand baht... you guys are paying rediculous ammounts for your smoke. Its usually around 5-8 USD for a bowl here in thailand. The thing is most places are shit at maintaining their hookahs and just as bad at service so all flavours taste like smoky apple, if you know what i mean. That generic bad sheesha taste haha.

Keep the feedback coming please. I am also wondering what do you guys usually drink when you visit a lounge? personal preference or something that is a must have alongside your sheesha?
Old November 17th, 2009, 02:07 AM
bpetruzzo
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to bpetruzzo Send a message via Skype™ to bpetruzzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayter View Post
20 bucks a bowl?? Wow thats retarded. Good for them if people pay this. Holy shyte. You are basically paying for a 250g tin, and only getting a bowl of it. Damn that.. lol, actaully now that i think of it, even at 15 bucks a bowl You are still paying for 250g and only getting a bowl.

I am never going to a hookah lounge....
If they're running successfully, it's a mark of a well run business. If people keep coming back, they must see it as worth their money.

I smoked in a lounge up in NY. We spent $24 on a bowl. At first I was taken aback because, frankly, I could pack like 50 bowls for that much money. But by the time we left, I wasn't disappointed in the least. Between the atmosphere, the servers, the pipes, the flavor and the longevity of it all, I perceived it as plenty worth my money.

It's really all about value. Just think about Apple computers. They're expensive. I probably paid twice as much as a lot of people for my computer. However, they've managed to pack a tremendous amount of value into their product that would appear in many ways similar to their competitors. Yet there isn't a fibre in me that regrets the purchase.

I don't think a successful hookah lounge is much different. $15 for a bowl. $30 for a bowl. Increase the value in the customer's mind and the number becomes somewhat irrelevant.

PS- Sorry for the divergence from the topic at hand.
Old November 17th, 2009, 02:31 AM
Cloud9
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpetruzzo View Post
PS- Sorry for the divergence from the topic at hand.
Not really irrelevant. What you said is what i said to my girlfriend, its all about the mood.
So far we have a nice set up, warm colours, i gave a large collection of good latin & french lounge music. Which for me are some of the most important things. We have a couple of nice, big couches so people in groups can chill there and smoke. All in all the lounge looks quite good but i still think there is something missing.

I am going to charge 200B per bowl which is around 6 bucks. Its the norm for phuket and i dont think we need to put the price lower than anyone else because we have the USP of being a chilled out atmosphere with a nice restaurant. Most of the hookah spots here only serve arab food.
Old November 17th, 2009, 03:02 AM
bpetruzzo
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Not really irrelevant. What you said is what i said to my girlfriend, its all about the mood.
So far we have a nice set up, warm colours, i gave a large collection of good latin & french lounge music. Which for me are some of the most important things. We have a couple of nice, big couches so people in groups can chill there and smoke. All in all the lounge looks quite good but i still think there is something missing.

I am going to charge 200B per bowl which is around 6 bucks. Its the norm for phuket and i dont think we need to put the price lower than anyone else because we have the USP of being a chilled out atmosphere with a nice restaurant. Most of the hookah spots here only serve arab food.
It would seem to me that if you're delivering a superior product to your customers, you should be bold and charge more than your competitors. There's a lot of psychology that goes into pricing and a great deal of perceived value is made in how much you charge.

I'm a wedding photographer. When I started out, I learned pretty quick that charging less actually hurt my business. Once I started charging a little more than the next guy, I actually ended up getting MORE business. It was all about what the pricing did to the value of my product in people's minds.

Seems to me you could probably add 10% to what you're charging, provided what you're delivering really is ahead of the competition.
Old November 17th, 2009, 03:52 AM
Cloud9
Hookah Nut

yeah ok. We definitely have a better atmosphere than the other hookah bars here on phuket. Ahhhhh so many decisions to make. Maybe we should charge a bit more (not much) once we got everything on lockdown. Just because as you said a better product should cost more.

Haha your a freelance photographer? Me too, well i'm a starting freelance photographer. Ive had no time for it though with my day job and working at the lounge after work. www.ThailandPhotography.net check out my site ^^
Old November 17th, 2009, 04:17 PM
texag15
Hookah Nut

Cloud9, ever hang out on Freedom Beach? I love that place...Was there in Phuket about 2 years ago and had the time of my life. I have a friend in Thailand who does photography also.
Old November 17th, 2009, 04:20 PM
Hayter
Hookah Guru

Just IMO, not a business own, but i did help my grandfather run his business for years.

If you provide a service or product to a customer, and your servcie is exceptional everytime they come in. And the products you proved are at a resonable price people will keep coming back. If someone comes in happy and leaves happy youkeep a customer. If a customer comes in upset and leaves happy you have created a customer for life.

regardless, people will pay more for a good experience and a good product that they know they will be satisfied with. IMO its more paying for convenience than anything else, atleast in the hookah business. People come in wanting to smoke, and they dont want to own there own, cause to them its a pain in the arse to set it up and clean it ect. My buddy at my work bought a hookah and had it for 3 days before he sold it, cause he didnt want to be bothered with it, and goes to hookah bars all the time.
Old November 17th, 2009, 04:38 PM
bpetruzzo
Hookah Pro

Quote:
My buddy at my work bought a hookah and had it for 3 days before he sold it, cause he didnt want to be bothered with it, and goes to hookah bars all the time.
To each his own, but frankly, I never quite understand this. Once you get the hang of it,ll it's really quite simple.
Old November 17th, 2009, 04:52 PM
Hayter
Hookah Guru

yeah i said the same thing to him, but oh well. Atleast i got a decent hookah for 30 bucks, that was only used twice. LMAO.
Old November 17th, 2009, 05:03 PM
bpetruzzo
Hookah Pro

Quote:
yeah i said the same thing to him, but oh well. Atleast i got a decent hookah for 30 bucks, that was only used twice. LMAO.
Hey! I suppose can't complain too much!
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook