Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Vertex bowl and everything that goes with it

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old December 4th, 2009, 06:12 PM
bpetruzzo
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to bpetruzzo Send a message via Skype™ to bpetruzzo
Default Vertex bowl and everything that goes with it

I picked up a Vortax bowl from John during black friday. With the coupon code it was either pay for shipping or pay for a vortex bowl, so I went with the bowl.

I just tried it out for the first time. It was a big let down. Though, it was probably my fault. I couldn't find any videos detailing how to pack the bowl and a good basic hole pattern to use. So, I just kind of went with my best guess. I spent the whole session fussing with the coals which never really delivered a great smoke.

People like the Vortex. So, I'm sure I've done something wrong. Can someone point out a good hole pattern to start with and some insights on how to pack the tobacco in there?
Old December 4th, 2009, 06:50 PM
Jride
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Jride
Default Re: Vertex bowl and everything that goes with it

Wow.. Im surprised. I love my vortex.

Pack your bowl fluffy so the heat can get through the entire shisha with no real blockage.

with the foil, I just do 3 rings of holes spaced maybe 1/4 inch apart from hole to hole.

I start off with 3 coco naras then after it gets hitting good (bout a minute or 2), i immediately take one off to prevent burning the bowl and use 2 coco's on the boal straight across from each other.. Then rotate accordingly so bowl burns evenly.

I hope that helps man. That way works wonders for me and I havent changed my way since.

(btw, Vortex is best used with juicy shisha, save your drier stuff for your egyptian bowl)
Old December 4th, 2009, 06:53 PM
Hayter
Hookah Guru

I found my web cam so i will post up a video of the hole pattern i use. Basically what i do and i get great flavor and clouds from is. I take a sheet of regular foil and fold it in half. I use a push pin and make a ring around the outer edge. Then i make a ring in the center around the spire. Once that is done i put a wide spread ring in between the other two and it works great. When i am out side i use 3 coals the whole time.

Inside I used 3 coals to get it started, then switch to two coals and the wind cover alternating. I will try and post up videos of what i do with the vortex. This method works flawless for me everytime.
Old December 4th, 2009, 06:55 PM
Jride
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayter View Post
I found my web cam so i will post up a video of the hole pattern i use. Basically what i do and i get great flavor and clouds from is. I take a sheet of regular foil and fold it in half. I use a push pin and make a ring around the outer edge. Then i make a ring in the center around the spire. Once that is done i put a wide spread ring in between the other two and it works great. When i am out side i use 3 coals the whole time.

Inside I used 3 coals to get it started, then switch to two coals and the wind cover alternating. I will try and post up videos of what i do with the vortex. This method works flawless for me everytime.
Bango! Almost exact same method as me.

I've never had a problem and when friends come over they get mad because their hookah doesnt hit like mine.. Hahahaha
Old December 4th, 2009, 07:17 PM
patelbadboy2006
Hookah Master

Send a message via MSN to patelbadboy2006 Send a message via Yahoo to patelbadboy2006

I use same meathod as my phunnel, fluff it in and 3 rings, but AF and Nakhla is a bit different everything else i do the same
Old December 4th, 2009, 07:29 PM
CPX
Hookah Newbie

My method is almost exactly the same using 3 coals to start out and then removing one when the bowl starts smoking good. Then I move the coals from one side of the bowl to the other in a cross shape after I ash and flip. Here's the hole pattern I make when using the Vortex. This is with one layer of heavy duty foil.

After the bowl is packed loosely, I also use a poker and make sure there is a gap of space around the spire in the center so that the holes are not blocked and that there is good air flow.
Attached Thumbnails
holepattern.jpg  

Last edited by CPX; December 4th, 2009 at 07:32 PM.
Old December 4th, 2009, 07:33 PM
Jride
Banned

Wow, I thought my method was special.. Looks like the way to get the best smoke out of vortex tho.. Try it out bpetruzzo and let us know wut u think!
Old December 4th, 2009, 07:41 PM
bpetruzzo
Hookah Pro

Thanks folks. Yeah, I was a little surprised not to find a video showing how to do it. Yeah, I'm about to light up a bowl of AF Guava so I'll give it another try. I really love my phunnel bowls, but it's mostly because I've learned how to get an excellent smoke out of them. I know a lot of people love the vortex bowls so I'm not going to be quick to write it off.

I'll let you guys know how it goes!

On another totally unrelated note, don't you kind of wish you could tell the message board what your real name is and have that displayed instead of a screen name? I always think referring to people (i.e., "Try it out bpetruzzo and let us know wut u think!") always sounds a little awkward.
Old December 4th, 2009, 08:33 PM
bpetruzzo
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPX View Post
My method is almost exactly the same using 3 coals to start out and then removing one when the bowl starts smoking good. Then I move the coals from one side of the bowl to the other in a cross shape after I ash and flip. Here's the hole pattern I make when using the Vortex. This is with one layer of heavy duty foil.

After the bowl is packed loosely, I also use a poker and make sure there is a gap of space around the spire in the center so that the holes are not blocked and that there is good air flow.
The second go has been much better than the first. I went with this method this time, paying especially careful attention to the hole pattern. I also doubled up the foil--although I'm already using a relatively heavy foil. I'm currently smoking AF Guava (my favorite shisha!) The smoke has been great. Smooth and fresh, thick clouds, rich flavor. Very nice. I'm not a huge fan of how much attention the coals want, but it's definitely a good experience.

Once there's a video demonstration up of the other hole pattern, I'll give that one a try too.
Old December 4th, 2009, 08:36 PM
Hayter
Hookah Guru

I will get one up tomorrow if it kills me.. LOL.
Old December 4th, 2009, 08:47 PM
jakejacobson
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpetruzzo View Post
The second go has been much better than the first. I went with this method this time, paying especially careful attention to the hole pattern. I also doubled up the foil--although I'm already using a relatively heavy foil. I'm currently smoking AF Guava (my favorite shisha!) The smoke has been great. Smooth and fresh, thick clouds, rich flavor. Very nice. I'm not a huge fan of how much attention the coals want, but it's definitely a good experience.

Once there's a video demonstration up of the other hole pattern, I'll give that one a try too.
Glad it worked out for you.
Old December 4th, 2009, 08:52 PM
rgallego
Hookah Nut

Send a message via MSN to rgallego

Quote:
Originally Posted by patelbadboy2006 View Post
I use same meathod as my phunnel, fluff it in and 3 rings, but AF and Nakhla is a bit different everything else i do the same

How do you do it with Nakhla?
Old December 4th, 2009, 09:13 PM
Hookah Newb
Hookah Nut

I'm interested in pic of the hole patterns. You guys explained it pretty well but I'm a picture kinda guy LOL.

I think we should get a sticky or something going with pics of different hole patterns for different bowls. Stuff that's been working for everyone.. *shrugs*
Old December 4th, 2009, 09:40 PM
CPX
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpetruzzo View Post

Great. I know what you mean about paying attention to the coals but it's not really that bad. I use CH coals and they burn for a good amount of time before they require ashing and repositioning on the bowl.
Old December 6th, 2009, 04:02 PM
bpetruzzo
Hookah Pro

So, I've smoked from the Vortex about five times now. The last two separate times have been without repacking the bowl! I'm definitely a fan of the Vortex bowl now, I might even say I prefer it to the phunnel. Well, with AF anyway. On the phunnel, AF only seems go last about one set of coals before it starts to taste burnt (as I described in this thread). But with the Vortex, I'm almost done with my second set of coals and the flavor and smoke is still thick and rich.

So, thanks for the advice folks. I can't wait to try out the other hole patterns that were described. I'd really love to see a sticky thread or series of videos devoted to people's successful hole patterns to help people (especially new smokers) get the hang of things without wasting so much tobacco and charcoal on guesswork.
Old December 8th, 2009, 08:11 PM
Hayter
Hookah Guru

I tried creating a video and failed miserably. Nothing i have worked lol.. I am going to have to try it again with my Camera. I just have to find a free video converter cause my phone takes video and makes it a 3gp extension. But i can post pictures of my hole pattern tonight.
Old December 8th, 2009, 08:24 PM
BTBAMordecai
Hookah Pro

i never have problems with my vortex, it works perfect everytime
Old December 8th, 2009, 08:33 PM
shawnwhyte
Hookah Pro

Does the 3rd coal just sit in the tray? Do you put it back on later or something of the sort?
Old December 9th, 2009, 02:55 AM
Matt-641
Hookah Pro

You can use it later when the other two start to get smaller. That's what I usually do.
Old December 9th, 2009, 03:23 AM
bpetruzzo
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt-641 View Post
You can use it later when the other two start to get smaller. That's what I usually do.
Yeah, that's the method I've adopted now. Since figuring things out, I have yet to experience a bad session, or even harsh smoke, with the Vortex bowl.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook