Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Golden Coals and CO

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old December 31st, 2009, 02:19 PM
Ossus
Hookah Newbie

Default Golden Coals and CO

I had an interesting experience yesterday with Golden QL coals.

I was heating 2 coals up on my gas stove when I noticed the flame from the burner was bright orange. I turned on the other burners and found the same thing. I thought it was strange, but didn't think anything of it.

Later that night, I went to light another set of coals. The burner was blue, no problems, and I lit the coal (set it on the grate) and still no problems. Then I picked up the coal with the tongs (after it was done sparking) and held it in the flame. The flame instantly turned orange. I turned on the other burners and found the same thing. Huge orange flames.

I did a little research and found out that the orange flame is caused when there is too much gas and not enough air coming to the burner, and can often be indicative of a CO problem (CO displacing air).

I had the oven fan on, opened a window, and turned on another fan to completely air out the room. The burners were all still orange. In fact, they stayed orange for about half an hour before they finally cleared. I suspect that the CO traveled into the gas lines in my stove, causing the uniform orange.

Now I know all coals give off some amount of CO, but it seems like these Golden coals, even after they are done sparking, give off enough CO to effect all of the burners on my stove.

So my question is, has anyone found that Golden coals give off more CO than other brands, or have any reason to think they might?
Old December 31st, 2009, 02:26 PM
thefaded
Hookah Pro

Default Re: Golden Coals and CO

Instant lights are always gonna give off more CO then natural coals. I don't know that goldens are any worse then 3 kings, starlight, etc. i'd be interested to know if CH QLs have the same effect.
Old December 31st, 2009, 03:05 PM
kalutika
Mad Alchemist

Not possible.

When you are dealing with burners you are dealing with a fairly high pressure system the idea that the CO was forced back into the burner and into the lines somehow is pretty impossible. If there are flames coming out then there is no way for anything to go back into the lines

If you are experiencing solid orange flames for an extended period of time it may indicate an issue with the gas lines that is unrelated to the coals.
Old December 31st, 2009, 03:09 PM
Ossus
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
When you are dealing with burners you are dealing with a fairly high pressure system the idea that the CO was forced back into the burner and into the lines somehow is pretty impossible. If there are flames coming out then there is no way for anything to go back into the lines
Thats really good to know. I have never experienced the solid orange flame any time before lighting the coals (3 months), and I haven't experienced it at all today. Seems really strange to me.

Also, a side note. I don't think its the gas line because my hot water heater and furnace are on the same line and do not have the problem.

I know its the coals because it can go from full blue to full orange the second I place the coal in the flame, and never go orange any other time.
Old December 31st, 2009, 04:17 PM
kalutika
Mad Alchemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ossus View Post
Thats really good to know. I have never experienced the solid orange flame any time before lighting the coals (3 months), and I haven't experienced it at all today. Seems really strange to me.
This should tell you that the coals are fairly unrelated. If you have lit coals for a long time without this effect then it was likely another change that caused it.

Quote:
Also, a side note. I don't think its the gas line because my hot water heater and furnace are on the same line and do not have the problem.
You said that it does not happen all the time which could mean it happens in those two appliances without you noticing.

Quote:
I know its the coals because it can go from full blue to full orange the second I place the coal in the flame, and never go orange any other time.
If you have all burners on and start a coal will they all change? If so then it's not inside the lines. You are dealing with a blanket of low density gas sitting on top of the stove and changing the way it burns.

If you are only talking about where the flame contacts the coal then that is pretty standard.

My point was really that it's not CO traveling into the lines against the flow of gas.
Old December 31st, 2009, 04:30 PM
Ossus
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
This should tell you that the coals are fairly unrelated. If you have lit coals for a long time without this effect then it was likely another change that caused it.
Actually, I just started lighting coals on this gas stove last night. What I meant is that I have used the stove for 3 months without lighting coals on it with no issue.

Quote:
You said that it does not happen all the time which could mean it happens in those two appliances without you noticing.
If the burners were orange, wouldn't the hot water heater and the furnace be orange at the same time if it was a gas line issue like dust in the line?

Quote:
If you have all burners on and start a coal will they all change? If so then it's not inside the lines. You are dealing with a blanket of low density gas sitting on top of the stove and changing the way it burns.
All the burners change when I hold the coal in the flame of one of the burners, but I've only checked after putting the coal in, not with all 4 on at the same time. I'll try with all 4 on tonight, and maybe make a video so you can see what I mean.

Quote:
My point was really that it's not CO traveling into the lines against the flow of gas.
Yeah, that makes sense.
Old December 31st, 2009, 05:26 PM
kalutika
Mad Alchemist

Quote:
Actually, I just started lighting coals on this gas stove last night. What I meant is that I have used the stove for 3 months without lighting coals on it with no issue.
Ah. Ok. That clarifies things a bit.

Quote:
If the burners were orange, wouldn't the hot water heater and the furnace be orange at the same time if it was a gas line issue like dust in the line?
Did you check the flames in the hot water heater and furnace while the one on the stove was orange? Also there is plenty of chance that if there is an issue it is in the line some place after those appliances

Quote:
All the burners change when I hold the coal in the flame of one of the burners, but I've only checked after putting the coal in, not with all 4 on at the same time. I'll try with all 4 on tonight, and maybe make a video so you can see what I mean.
That would help.

Quote:
Yeah, that makes sense.
Thanks.
Old December 31st, 2009, 05:36 PM
Ossus
Hookah Newbie

OK, so I just did another test.

Overall, I did not have the same problem. The burners turned a little orange, but not like yesterday, which I think supports your idea that there is some CO hanging over the stove.

The two coals I lit are from a new roll, which leads me to think I might have just gotten a weird roll.

I didn't do a video since they didn't go all orange.

Quote:
Did you check the flames in the hot water heater and furnace while the one on the stove was orange? Also there is plenty of chance that if there is an issue it is in the line some place after those appliances
I did check while the burners were orange and the other appliances were fine. Considering the orange only shows up when the coals are being lit, I would say its pretty safe to say its the coals.
Old January 8th, 2010, 12:39 AM
sam1618
Hookah Newbie

Interesting thread. I saw on a guys blog that he lit coconara coals as well as exotica coals, and did a CO2 test to see if either were putting of any, and he found bogus amounts with the exoticas, but not very much with the cn. Just a thought.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook