Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Lounge Vs. Smoking at home

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old January 10th, 2010, 10:45 AM
Much2Xtreme
Hookah Newbie

Default Lounge Vs. Smoking at home

Hello Pros,

I have been visiting a local Hookah Lounge here in Orlando florida and have come to the conclusion that when I smoke there, it seems to taste better and last longer than when I smoke at home.
The shop is owned by Egyptian people so I started wondering if it's me doing something wrong in setting up. I have watched every video here and elsewhere that I can find on setting up a bowl. I have read reviews of different types of hookahs, and techniques that people are using, but still I find my smoking at home falls a bit short.
I am starting to think that the atmosphere could be the factor and I am curious if others have run into similar findings.
Old January 10th, 2010, 11:44 AM
Cnphoto
Hookah Pro

Default Re: Lounge Vs. Smoking at home

heat management, heat management, heat management.
Old January 10th, 2010, 01:17 PM
BigBlind
Hookah Pro

atmosphere could be the factor, but why dont you try talking to the guys at the lounge so you can watch them prepare your hookah, that way you can see the way they prepare it and give it a try at home.
Old January 10th, 2010, 01:44 PM
Much2Xtreme
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlind View Post
atmosphere could be the factor, but why dont you try talking to the guys at the lounge so you can watch them prepare your hookah, that way you can see the way they prepare it and give it a try at home.
I thought about that BigBlind and did exactly that. I have become a regular face at the lounge and they have shared tips for preparing the bowl etc... I think mt heat managment is good as well, something just isn't the same.
I am smoking a Mya hookah right now and the hookahs at the lounge are Kahlil Mamoon. I plan on purchasing a new hookah and I think my choice has been made for me. The KM are amazing, and I want to take that variable out of the mix to see if it gets better.
Old January 10th, 2010, 01:54 PM
bpetruzzo
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to bpetruzzo Send a message via Skype™ to bpetruzzo

I know what you mean. Though not universally.

I've been to a local hookah lounge where the bowl literally only tasted good for about 30 minutes, then the smoke died and the flavor started tasting burnt. However, I've also been up to a lounge in New York City where we smoked the same bowl for an hour and 20 minutes without any maintenance at all and it smoked great the whole time.

At home, I get a good hour and a half out of a bowl with regular maintenance on the bowl. But, I'm always wondering how they got it to smoke so great for so long without fussing with it at all.

So, I'm also perplexed.
Old January 10th, 2010, 02:28 PM
CypherEnigma
Hookah Pro

When I used to go to lounges in NC, I'd smoke for about 15 minutes and it'd start to get harsh. Luckily they taught us how to purge and so we'd purge it out and it'd be fine for another 15 minutes. Personally I didn't get a chance to check the foil because it was under a wind cover but I'm guessing that they used the overpack method that a lot of lounges seem to use. After going there twice, I decided I could do it better and cheaper so I bought my own hookah and tobacco and did as much reading as possible. It really all boils down to practice. You can read all you want and get a reasonably good session but if you keep at it you'll learn how to work with the tobacco and supplies you have to there best. I've stretched a bowl of HH for 2.5 hours in a vortex after I learned how to make it work.

36" Al Falkher Solid - 36" KM Copper Heart Two Hose - 22" Temsah Mini-Wheat(a.k.a. Golden Nugget)
Old January 10th, 2010, 02:42 PM
Memories
Hookah Nut

The lounge where i live can be hit and miss. Sometimes it goes good the entire night.. other nights they harsh out really quick. While i think that the bowls we make taste better overall.. that fact they you don't have to light the coal, set up and tear down the hookah makes it kind of nice to go to the lounge every once in awhile. Plus they have the whole environment of music playing and lots of chill people to talk to. Overall... like most people said, practice and heat management can make your sessions better.
Old January 10th, 2010, 02:43 PM
Thunder
Hookah Enthusiast

OK here is the answer, "paying too much attention to your bowl and hookah ruins the smoke". I've seen people spend the whole session moving charcoal, purging, ...etc. I think this is not the way to do it.

If you are using an Egyptian bowl, pack your tobacco loose and make small holes in the foil. Then, put your coals and leave them for 1-2 minutes. Then, take 5-6 long drags until it gets started. Finally, don't touch or move your coals unless they are dying out.
Old January 10th, 2010, 07:10 PM
JiX'
Hookah Newbie

no question... smoking at home. our lounge gives out no tongs so you can't ash anything until someone working the lounge swings by. i don't like there mixed flavors. kinda mediocre generics used as well. my buddies prefer my km and methods over the lounge. 8 bucks a person at our lounge blows too..
Old January 10th, 2010, 07:22 PM
Shienhausser
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Shienhausser

HOME HOME HOME. The ONLY reason I will stop by the lounge is to see someone there. I wont pay for mostly sub-par hookahs with quicklights.
Old January 10th, 2010, 08:23 PM
Jride
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Jride

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiX' View Post
no question... smoking at home. our lounge gives out no tongs so you can't ash anything until someone working the lounge swings by. i don't like there mixed flavors. kinda mediocre generics used as well. my buddies prefer my km and methods over the lounge. 8 bucks a person at our lounge blows too..
You need 2 find a better lounge my friend. The lounge I go to uses KM's and give u tongs and are constantly coming back asking if everythings okay and if we need more coals or anything. And they charge per hookah, not per person

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shienhausser View Post
HOME HOME HOME. The ONLY reason I will stop by the lounge is to see someone there. I wont pay for mostly sub-par hookahs with quicklights.
U just need 2 travel and find a better one, like I said above. The one I go to uses KM's and definitely not quicklights.

Its kind of like saying "WHY SHOULD I GO TO A BAR WHEN I CAN DRINK AT HOME?".. Well, You obviously go for the environment and the people and such. Sometimes it more enjoyable to go and hang out and meet new people.
Old January 10th, 2010, 10:36 PM
JiX'
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jride View Post
You need 2 find a better lounge my friend. The lounge I go to uses KM's and give u tongs and are constantly coming back asking if everythings okay and if we need more coals or anything. And they charge per hookah, not per person

U just need 2 travel and find a better one, like I said above. The one I go to uses KM's and definitely not quicklights.

Its kind of like saying "WHY SHOULD I GO TO A BAR WHEN I CAN DRINK AT HOME?".. Well, You obviously go for the environment and the people and such. Sometimes it more enjoyable to go and hang out and meet new people.
how much you pay jride? my lounge is the only one in my city and in the 45 mile radius. so basically i only use it for supplies that i need asap. they do use decent shisha and coals but the hookahs aren't anything special. good variety in the store for a smoke shop. o forgot to mention. they have too much ventilation so u can't even blow rings or anything which is kinda of a minus.
Old January 10th, 2010, 10:47 PM
CypherEnigma
Hookah Pro

Quote:

But also smoking at home, I can have a conversation without yelling over an obnoxiously loud bass, enjoy a drink with my friends for a resonable price, I don't have to park and either pay an arm and a leg in fees or feed a meter. While your hookah bar may let you manage your own coals, all the bars I've been to expressly forbid this. Many bars are concerned that you'll lift up the foil to tamper with the tobacco. I live near a bigger city so I can go to multiple lounges, all of which are overpriced, disgustingly trendy and overall unappealing. It sounds like you have a pretty sweet lounge to goto but just from personal experience I'd rather be at home.

36" Al Falkher Solid - 36" KM Copper Heart Two Hose - 22" Temsah Mini-Wheat(a.k.a. Golden Nugget)
Old January 11th, 2010, 02:15 PM
unicycleboy3190
Hookah Pro

the bar that is close to me is like 13 bucks for the hookah and whatever you want in it, thats is unlimited bowls, and the shop is really wicked they have everything from hookah hookah to alwaha to JM's i like to smoke at the bar and at home cause you have a good fun place to smoke there and a quiet to your self place to smoke at home

Old January 11th, 2010, 02:18 PM
glostersa
Hookah Master

I smoke at Home there is no Hookah Lounges close to me I want to start my own.
Old January 11th, 2010, 02:21 PM
BuzzHookah
Hookah Pro

Home fo sho, find the sweet spot and your good too go
Old January 11th, 2010, 02:27 PM
killak3v
Hookah Nut

ITS FUNNY SOMEONE MADE THIS THREAD AS I WAS FEELING A WAY ABOUT THIS BUT ITS THE OPPPSITE....when i smoke at home i feel its better then a lounge idk it could just be me but when im home i get good smoke and no harshness but when at a lounge i come across more harsh smoke due to the heat management
Old January 11th, 2010, 02:31 PM
krampi
Hookah Pro

Send a message via MSN to krampi

I have find it the same way. There was a lounge, unfortunatelly they closed. But I can't understand how they did it. When they brought the hookah out, there was a windcover on it and it was just perfect for 1,5 hours ... No messing with coals or anything, it was great for the entire session. I don't know how. Maybe it was just the environment, that made me feel good and that I didn't have the chanche to mess with the coals, because there were no tongs
Old January 11th, 2010, 02:51 PM
BTBAMordecai
Hookah Pro

i enjoy home smoking because i like to set it up myself
Old January 11th, 2010, 02:59 PM
LetItFly
Hookah Newbie

home...for a 10 dollar minimum i can get a few flavors to try out at my smoke shop with a better hookah and a longer hose to chill on it more
Old January 11th, 2010, 07:08 PM
Jride
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Jride

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiX' View Post
how much you pay jride? my lounge is the only one in my city and in the 45 mile radius. so basically i only use it for supplies that i need asap. they do use decent shisha and coals but the hookahs aren't anything special. good variety in the store for a smoke shop. o forgot to mention. they have too much ventilation so u can't even blow rings or anything which is kinda of a minus.
$10 for the hookah (Khalil Mamoon) with first bowl and a free drink (monster, soda etc.)

Then every bowl after that is $5. But if you come on week nights, they hook u up because theres less people in there so he usually hooks it up with free bowl changes and such.

Trust me man, Ive been to horrible lounges (Hollywood Hookah Lounge) and Ive been to great ones. If I would have stopped going to lounges after the 1st one Ive ever tried, I would never go to one cus my 1st lounge experience sucked. You just gotta find better places similar to how people find better bars to drink at.
Old January 12th, 2010, 01:22 AM
shawnwhyte
Hookah Pro

Went to a small hookah bar when jakejacobson was in Philly.
I feel like the only employee there only knew the flat basics of setting it up, but none of the proper, finer points. The foil looked mountainous on top, the holes punched were huge, and the water level was a bit low. Overall, it was a very unfulfilling smoke, so we left and came back to my KM.

What they served were generic mya's, but they had 2 nice KMs on the floor, but assumed they were just for display.

and PS. Jake is a great guy ha
Old January 12th, 2010, 02:20 AM
CypherEnigma
Hookah Pro

Quote:
If I would have stopped going to lounges after the 1st one Ive ever tried, I would never go to one cus my 1st lounge experience sucked. You just gotta find better places similar to how people find better bars to drink at.
I think this is defiantly true. The first time you go to a bar will make or break your opinion of them. Unfortunately it seems like places will be harder to come by as the years go by and anti-smoking legislation and scare tactics continue. Especially since a lot of states have laws that regulate how these establishments price their services,such as the 2/3rds rule that I've heard of that says in order for hookah bars to have a liquor license 2/3 of the profit has to be from the sale of tobacco which causes some of the pricing problems that keep me away from them.

Old January 12th, 2010, 02:31 AM
Alxlee0002
Hookah Newbie

i like smoking at home vs. hookah bars...lounges overcharge plus i find their hookahs are dirty and dont hit as well.
Old January 12th, 2010, 02:58 AM
RaceMyGhost
Hookah Pro

Quote:
$10 for the hookah (Khalil Mamoon) with first bowl and a free drink (monster, soda etc.)

Then every bowl after that is $5. But if you come on week nights, they hook u up because theres less people in there so he usually hooks it up with free bowl changes and such.

Trust me man, Ive been to horrible lounges (Hollywood Hookah Lounge) and Ive been to great ones. If I would have stopped going to lounges after the 1st one Ive ever tried, I would never go to one cus my 1st lounge experience sucked. You just gotta find better places similar to how people find better bars to drink at.
whats the name of the lounge? If u dont want to say it on here, PM me. thanks
(im in socal myself)

Go Noir or Go Home.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook