Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

The Month-long NDA

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old January 13th, 2010, 06:18 PM
Mackmaven
Hookah Aficionado

Default The Month-long NDA

three days ago I completely cleaned out my KM double trimetal single hose and pulled out a fresh KM rainbow hose. For the next month any time (3-4 times per week) I feel like smoking Nakhla Double Apple, I'm going to do so from this pipe. I will not be clean the pipe or hose at all (i'll use a phunnel to minimize moassel leak) because I hear this is what the legit hookah bars do to enhance the flavor. I will be changing the base water for health reasons but other than that and the obvious cleaning of the bowl I won't clean it or smoke anything other than NDA.

Anyone ever tried this? What can I expect from this in terms of taste difference? Am I never going to want to use this hookah for anything else ever again?

"From zero to hookah, in nothing flat."
Old January 14th, 2010, 01:50 AM
Mackmaven
Hookah Aficionado

Default Re: The Month-long NDA

update:

just finished the 4th bowl that's been put through this rig since we started. Haven't changed the water yet, but the anise in the NDA is already more pronounced. Pretty good even though I don't like black licorice.

Old January 14th, 2010, 01:57 AM
unicycleboy3190
Hookah Pro

let us know if it does work

Old January 14th, 2010, 02:20 AM
BigBlind
Hookah Pro

i cant wait to see what happens to the pipe after a few weeks without cleaning, make sure to post pics of the stuff that comes out of it hehehe
Old January 14th, 2010, 02:35 AM
MirelZ
Hookah Nut

? you can clean the pipe and change the water, the taste should be the same unless you change your hose..

i got one hookah for each flavor i smoke and i clean them 1-2 a week, the taste never change unless i try with another hose..

maybe its just me but ive been doing this since a long time

so clean your pipe but keep 1 hose for NDA

But I did have the hookah in the garage and was able to smoke while walking to get the mail
Old January 14th, 2010, 02:38 AM
-jordan-

Hmmm.. So the residual flavor is supposed to enhance the anise flavor? I wouldn't compromise a decent pipe for that... By not cleaning it that is.
Old January 14th, 2010, 03:40 AM
LemonJPooding
Hookah Nut

there is some smoke resin on the pipe itself, but im sure its going to start tasting sour and gross after a while from just being unclean and grody. we'll find out right?!
Old January 14th, 2010, 03:42 AM
Khelina
Hookah Nut

An interessting idea at least.
Though, I think it all comes down to using the same hose, don't think the pipe itself enhances the flavor.
Give us updates though, sounds interessting!
Old January 14th, 2010, 07:41 AM
hookahslisk
Hookah Nut

Try using a plain clay bowl with no glaze as well. The juices get absorbed by the clay a bit. I have a few of these and on one only NDA hits it. I notice a difference.
Old January 14th, 2010, 08:07 AM
BuzzHookah
Hookah Pro

After a few bowls the anise flavor was more pronounced? but you dont like livorice but you love DA? Confusing
Old January 14th, 2010, 12:08 PM
Mackmaven
Hookah Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by MirelZ View Post
? you can clean the pipe and change the water, the taste should be the same unless you change your hose..

i got one hookah for each flavor i smoke and i clean them 1-2 a week, the taste never change unless i try with another hose..

maybe its just me but ive been doing this since a long time

so clean your pipe but keep 1 hose for NDA
I'll be changing the water so things don't get too gross in there, but I won't be scrubbing the pipe out or running water down it.

Old January 14th, 2010, 12:10 PM
Mackmaven
Hookah Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by -jordan- View Post
Hmmm.. So the residual flavor is supposed to enhance the anise flavor? I wouldn't compromise a decent pipe for that... By not cleaning it that is.
I seriously doubt a few weeks of not giving a scrubbing is going to do any lasting harm, I've seen hookahs suffer far worse... but on the off chance I notice any harm coming to my KM i'll cut the experiment short of course

Old January 14th, 2010, 12:20 PM
Mackmaven
Hookah Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzHookah View Post
After a few bowls the anise flavor was more pronounced? but you dont like livorice but you love DA? Confusing
the concensus between me, my roommate and my good buddy is that, as opposed to a bowl of NDA through a fresh pipe, the anise has gotten more prevailent rather than the apple (unfortunately). And yes I love NDA but an not a fan of black licorice. I love NDA for reasons unknown, the licorice is not my favorite part tho.

Old January 14th, 2010, 05:41 PM
LemonJPooding
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackmaven View Post
the concensus between me, my roommate and my good buddy is that, as opposed to a bowl of NDA through a fresh pipe, the anise has gotten more prevailent rather than the apple (unfortunately). And yes I love NDA but an not a fan of black licorice. I love NDA for reasons unknown, the licorice is not my favorite part tho.
why not go with eskandarany apple? It has no Anise ammirite?
Old January 14th, 2010, 06:23 PM
Mackmaven
Hookah Aficionado

tried AF Golden Esk Apple... it's ok... I would love to try Nahkla Esk Apple but no one around here carries it

Old January 14th, 2010, 06:43 PM
ryon
Hookah Nut

Sounds like an interesting experiment
Old January 14th, 2010, 07:26 PM
MirelZ
Hookah Nut

i still would wash the whole hookah and just keep the hose, sometimes when i run the water thru the pipe.... nasty black green water comes out, cant imagine smoking that, and thats only after 2-3 session... trust me, keep the same hose and wash your hole hookah bro....

But I did have the hookah in the garage and was able to smoke while walking to get the mail
Old January 14th, 2010, 08:18 PM
Biloshambles
Hookah Nut

the Nakhla Esk apple is awesome! few months back I found 2 250g boxes at a local shop....needless to say I burned through it in no time, amazing flavor if you can find some!
Old January 14th, 2010, 10:47 PM
-jordan-

Quote:
I seriously doubt a few weeks of not giving a scrubbing is going to do any lasting harm, I've seen hookahs suffer far worse... but on the off chance I notice any harm coming to my KM i'll cut the experiment short of course
Right right, good call. Keep us updated on how it goes!
Old January 14th, 2010, 11:45 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

i always clean my hookah, but i rarely wash my nammors. i have one hose for chocomint only cause its so strong and i can honestly go pull on it and get a solid taste out of it.

idk if its really to enhance flavor or just so that you dont loose flavor. lets be honest its a lot of work to clean a hookah out well and if you do it every time some one gets a different flavor your cleaning hookahs all day long at a lounge (granted the local place back home does it and they usually have no flavor mixing) but a lounge up here never cleans their hookahs and it all tastes the same. so what im trying to say is that they probably keep hookahs for each flavor because its easier and you will still taste the flavor than because they way to enhance the flavor

-matt
Old January 29th, 2010, 02:34 PM
Mackmaven
Hookah Aficionado

Boom! and it's back.

I ended this experiment last night.

The results:

The flavor ended up getting a TON stronger. I mean alot. Like concentrated NDA. But let me add that the flavor did change quite a bit.

After about a week each bowl was dominated by anise, I thought that that would basically be the end product... anise getting so overwhelming that it drowned the apple out all together. Not so.

After two weeks, for seemingly no reason (I didn't change a thing), the apple came back. And it was spicy and sweet, which I found to be really interesting because I would describe normal NDA as having a muted mildly sweet apple taste, but this was definitely spicier and sweeter. It's as though the two primary flavors in the NDA had just got a huge boost. Apple came out as you drew in and a strong anise and the exhale. Very, very interesting.

Alas I cut the experiment short because the purge got stuck (probably a product of non-cleaning) and my buddy turned the hookah into a waterspout, which I feel ruins the integrity of the experiment in addition to being nasty. And I want my tri-metal back. I cleaned it and polished it last night and there are NO SIGNS OF DAMAGE, rust or otherwise. So just know that hookahs are a bit more durable than you'd think, even though I would, in no way advocate treating them in this manner as a means of standard up-keep.

Reflection:

I think there's something here that hasn't been explored much. What little residue sticks to the stem from the smoke (not moassel drip, as there was none here) undeniably affects the flavor of the smoke. The greater the concentration of this trace residue and the most times you compound it, the more the flavor begins to evolve. It's a very interesting thing to witness and I think that this experiment warrents future trials with different flavors.

Old January 29th, 2010, 03:37 PM
LemonJPooding
Hookah Nut

very nice experiment dude. Its pretty weird how something so simple can effect everything like that. I didnt expect it to enhance anything to be honest. I figured by the end of this youd have a smelly pipe and some weird flavours comin out of it XD maybe its the metal or just the style of pipe that contributes to this. anywho you should try this with a mint flavor :P
Old January 29th, 2010, 03:52 PM
Mackmaven
Hookah Aficionado

I was definitely considering mint as a flavor to try this with, buuut I dunno if I could handle that much mint lol...

Old January 29th, 2010, 04:51 PM
britjh22
Hookah Nut

Quote:
I was definitely considering mint as a flavor to try this with, buuut I dunno if I could handle that much mint lol...
Cool idea, but I would think that even while attempting this you could clean your purge regularly. Maybe something to think about for anyone who is thinking of trying this with dedicated flavor setups.
Old January 30th, 2010, 12:35 AM
LemonJPooding
Hookah Nut

Quote:
I know thats what I was thinking! The mint would blow your face off.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook