Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

My first Tangiers

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old January 20th, 2010, 12:02 PM
Jaffi
Hookah Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to Jaffi
Default My first Tangiers

Hey Folks

So I ordered my very first Tangiers (Noir!). I read a lot about packing it, acclimating it, smoking it. But there are still a few questions left
Do I have to put it into a large box so that it can acclimate well? Or should I spread it on a piece of foil for a few hours before smoking it? Is it true that you can smell if it is acclimated well?
Next step would be packing the funnelbowl. I am using a small tangiers funnel. I'll pack it tight with a fork, tobacco in good contact with the funnel, a very few milimeters below the rim of the bowl. One layer of foil, lots of big holes, even above the funnel itself. Now should I use 3 Coconaras or 4 halves?

Thats it! Answers to my questions and some advice if necessary would be highly appreciated
Old January 20th, 2010, 12:07 PM
Jerickg
Hookah Newbie

Default Re: My first Tangiers

I use a small phunnel and I use 3 coconaras. Its all on how you like your smoke. Good luck with noir, my friends and I find it too heavy in our lungs so we just stick to lucid
Old January 20th, 2010, 01:01 PM
VanMeets
Hookah Newbie

Get a long and deep container, spread it out well and leave it open and stir it every so often for a few hours. You should be fine by then.

Try 2 coals, see how it is. If you need to add one then do so. Its about preference and how its set up so everyones going to give a different answer.

From my experience I would start with little heat and work your way up so you dont waste coals and shisha.

-Mike
Old January 20th, 2010, 01:48 PM
BuzzHookah
Hookah Pro

3 cocos will do the trick perfectly and its nice to have 1 coal to play with if it gets to hot or needs more heat
Old January 20th, 2010, 01:56 PM
unicycleboy3190
Hookah Pro

you will know when it is done acclimating by smelling it cause the nasty chemical under tone will be gone and all you will smell its the ture smell of whatever you got

Old January 20th, 2010, 04:11 PM
Jaffi
Hookah Newbie

Thanks so far! when packing the bowl, the tobacco should not get in contact with the foil, so I'll pack it about 2 mm below the rim of the bowl. I read that when the tobacco gets heated up, it would expand an get in touch whith the foil (which is intended intended). Is that right?
How tight should it be packed? Some people pack it extremely tight, some say it should have the same consistency in the bowl as it has in the container
Old January 20th, 2010, 04:41 PM
BIGPOPPA
I call it hypocritical BS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaffi View Post
How tight should it be packed? Some people pack it extremely tight, some say it should have the same consistency in the bowl as it has in the container
It should be packed in your bowl as tight as it is in the package it came in. Weird right?
Old January 20th, 2010, 05:45 PM
Codeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGPOPPA View Post
It should be packed in your bowl as tight as it is in the package it came in. Weird right?
I think if I showed my packing of Tangiers, I'd be ridiculed for doing it wrong, but I've had no issues with harshness or lack of smoke/flavor. The first time I packed it I literally did push it down in the bowl and tried to pack it as tight as the original packaging. That seemed a little ludicrous to me, so since then I've grossly under-packed my funnel (by Tangiers standards) and simply used a fork to scrape it away from the edge and funnel (scraping down into the bowl). I probably use ~1/3 what Eric @ Tangiers would say is the appropriate amount of tobacco, based on his vid with **********. When I'm done, it's slightly tighter than sprinkled in - works just fine for me
Old January 20th, 2010, 05:54 PM
BIGPOPPA
I call it hypocritical BS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codeman View Post
I think if I showed my packing of Tangiers, I'd be ridiculed for doing it wrong, but I've had no issues with harshness or lack of smoke/flavor. The first time I packed it I literally did push it down in the bowl and tried to pack it as tight as the original packaging. That seemed a little ludicrous to me, so since then I've grossly under-packed my funnel (by Tangiers standards) and simply used a fork to scrape it away from the edge and funnel (scraping down into the bowl). I probably use ~1/3 what Eric @ Tangiers would say is the appropriate amount of tobacco, based on his vid with **********. When I'm done, it's slightly tighter than sprinkled in - works just fine for me

Yeah alot of members use different techniques to smoke it, some work some dont. I pretty much gave up on Tangiers, gets irritating having to acclimate and all that. I used to pack it the way i described and it worked for me when it would acclimate.
maybe your method will work for the OP.
Old January 20th, 2010, 06:46 PM
AngriestPhx
Hookah Nut

I recently came back from a trip to California and hung out with Eric for four days at his lounge. After reviewing the packing method over and over, and smoking a ton of Tangiers Noir, I definitely have it down. My preferred method is 4 coconut halves with a small phunnel, then add golden canary or a similar type coal as you need it. When packing the tobacco, you pack it dense and to a smidge above the rim. I acclimate for about 3 to 4 hours. If the smoke gets too harsh, drop a coco halve and add it again when you need it. I have a whole new appreciation for Tangiers.
Old January 21st, 2010, 05:24 AM
Jaffi
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngriestPhx View Post
I recently came back from a trip to California and hung out with Eric for four days at his lounge. After reviewing the packing method over and over, and smoking a ton of Tangiers Noir, I definitely have it down. My preferred method is 4 coconut halves with a small phunnel, then add golden canary or a similar type coal as you need it. When packing the tobacco, you pack it dense and to a smidge above the rim. I acclimate for about 3 to 4 hours. If the smoke gets too harsh, drop a coco halve and add it again when you need it. I have a whole new appreciation for Tangiers.
So the foil gets in contact with the tobacco even before the coals hit the bowl and heat the tobacco up? Or do you push it below the rim again by "foil-testing" it before placing the coals on the bowl?
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook