Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Proposed Bill to Raise Federal Tax on Pipe Tobacco

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old January 24th, 2010, 08:14 PM
foibled
Hookah Pro

Default Proposed Bill to Raise Federal Tax on Pipe Tobacco

I'm kinda surprised there hasn't been a thread posted here about this yet but here is what brought it up from the most recent Ed Hardy thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajo Flettner View Post
I don't particularly care they expensive since I don't see a problem with paying 30 bucks for 250g of moassel if the quality is high enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by foibled View Post
I hope you mean that because if the current tax bill sitting in the hands of the House of Ways and Means gets approved, you will be paying that much. If you guys think stuff is expensive now, try imagining after the Federal tobacco tax has gone up 775%.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnuworldorder View Post
citation needed
http://pipesmagazine.com/python/pipe...-pipe-tobacco/

For those too lazy to click and read the link, a proposed tax bill is currently in the hands of the House Committee on Ways and Means that will increase the Federal tax on pipe tobacco from $2.8311 per pound to $24.78 per pound. The intent is to make the tax on pipe tobacco the same as roll-your-own tobacco to close the door on many roll-your-own makers that have been selling their products as pipe tobacco to avoid the high taxes that got hiked up last year. As far as hookah tobacco goes, this will increase the Federal tax on 250g by $13.66.

edit: Just so there is no confusion, the bill is only proposed. It is not something that has passed and will happen, yet. If you want to join in on spamming your Congressman/women & Senators in hopes they will actually listen, here are some links to help you:

http://www.rallycongress.com/stop-th...e-tobacco-tax/
http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/pipe-n...e-tobacco-tax/

Last edited by foibled; January 24th, 2010 at 08:25 PM.
Old January 24th, 2010, 08:34 PM
Dunkel
Bad Motherf^&*er!

Default Re: Proposed Bill to Raise Federal Tax on Pipe Tobacco

Are you guys happy with the CHANGE? I HOPE not.
Old January 24th, 2010, 08:39 PM
-jordan-

Thumbs down Re: Proposed Bill to Raise Federal Tax on Pipe Tobacco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunkel View Post
Yeah I'm PISSED with the way everything has been going since obama was elected. I voted for McCain, since republicans at least keep there noses out of the everyday persons' affairs. Thanks to the democratic party for taking away our rights and taxing the shit out of tobacco
Old January 24th, 2010, 08:40 PM
orange drink
Hookah Newbie

Signed the petition, AND sent the petition letter to my local congressmen, and women.
Old January 24th, 2010, 08:46 PM
bnewman
Hookah Newbie

i'm kinda pissed, I dont have the money to pay $30 for a 250 every week...there's no way that they would actually pass this.
Old January 24th, 2010, 08:53 PM
Dunkel
Bad Motherf^&*er!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnewman View Post
i'm kinda pissed, I dont have the money to pay $30 for a 250 every week...there's no way that they would actually pass this.
Of course they'll pass it. Gotta pay for health care you know?
Old January 24th, 2010, 08:59 PM
foibled
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunkel View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by -jordan- View Post
Yeah I'm PISSED with the way everything has been going since obama was elected. I voted for McCain, since republicans at least keep there noses out of the everyday persons' affairs. Thanks to the democratic party for taking away our rights and taxing the shit out of tobacco
I am no Obama lover by any means or even a Democrat but I fail to see how you attribute the impositions on tobacco to him or his party. When last year's tax increases were expected not to get through the House it was because of the Democrats who opposed it, and the swing vote that approved it came from a Republican. Hell, the recent pushes to outright ban tobacco altogether came from a Republican Senator.

Both parties are responsible. Hold them all accountable.
Old January 24th, 2010, 09:33 PM
MC_Gatty
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by foibled View Post
I am no Obama lover by any means or even a Democrat but I fail to see how you attribute the impositions on tobacco to him or his party. When last year's tax increases were expected not to get through the House it was because of the Democrats who opposed it, and the swing vote that approved it came from a Republican. Hell, the recent pushes to outright ban tobacco altogether came from a Republican Senator.

Both parties are responsible. Hold them all accountable.
Both parties are certainly to blame (at times I am inclined to believe that Ron Paul is the only person on Capitol hill that has any integrity left), but to be fair...

Quote:
President Barack Obama says a bill giving the government much greater power to regulate tobacco "truly defines change in Washington."
http://www.khq.com/global/story.asp?s=10523543

Not to mention the fact that if he wasn't pushing hideously flawed healthcare and sending out around a trillion dollars in handouts to greedy, entitlement-mentality bastards, impinging on civil liberties all over the place in the hunt for a true nanny state, and going back on any campaign promises that could have conceivably saved money (e.g., at least scaling back the wars), we wouldn't need enormous taxes just to maintain the appalling level of debt we have maintained for the past decade and people wouldn't feel so gung-ho about pushing anti-tobacco legislation. /rant, sorry
Old January 24th, 2010, 09:38 PM
Jride
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Jride

These companies better start making some good herbal shisha then cus I definitely aint buying tobacco if the price goes that high

edit: I signed and sent the emails to my state representatives

Last edited by Jride; January 24th, 2010 at 09:41 PM.
Old January 24th, 2010, 10:08 PM
uglybiker
Quantum Bubblenautics,PhD

The more things change,
the more they stay the same.

The Nazi anti-tobacco campaign included banning smoking in trams, buses and city trains, promoting health education, limiting cigarette rations in the Wehrmacht, organizing medical lectures for soldiers, and raising the tobacco tax.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-to...n_Nazi_Germany

Old January 24th, 2010, 10:16 PM
Sui
Hookah Enthusiast

Oh FFS, fuck this I'm moving to Egypt.
Old January 24th, 2010, 10:39 PM
-jordan-

Because of Obama's pull for socialized healthcare, any entity that impairs health is going to be taxed through the roof.. Cause instead of paying for healthcare.. We as individuals are going to be taxed on things that are likely to impair our health.. For example, Tobacco.. Kills hundreds of thousands of people a year, and costs millions in healthcare.. Well, that is going to need to be payed for by the users... So, because of Obama and the democrats concept of socialized healthcare... Tobacco is going to be ridiculously taxed if not banned. There's my logic.
Old January 24th, 2010, 10:41 PM
-jordan-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jride View Post
These companies better start making some good herbal shisha then cus I definitely aint buying tobacco if the price goes that high

edit: I signed and sent the emails to my state representatives
Haha I agree. It'd be interesting to see how desperate tobacco corps. would try to adapt... Prob herbal cigarettes laced with nicotine... And that wheat grass shisha haha... Our taste-buds would have some adjusting to do
Old January 24th, 2010, 10:54 PM
DaSebsch
Hookah Aficionado

Quote:
Because of Obama's pull for socialized healthcare, any entity that impairs health is going to be taxed through the roof.. Cause instead of paying for healthcare.. We as individuals are going to be taxed on things that are likely to impair our health.. For example, Tobacco.. Kills hundreds of thousands of people a year, and costs millions in healthcare.. Well, that is going to need to be payed for by the users... So, because of Obama and the democrats concept of socialized healthcare... Tobacco is going to be ridiculously taxed if not banned. There's my logic.
I'll be waiting for the taxing of fast food chains....

Seriously guys, the bill has only been proposed. There are countless bills being proposed and never get passed.
There has been a bill that proposes the elimination of income, corporate, and sales tax, yet you can see where that landed.

Before everybody gets all wild about this, wait till it actually gets a little more serious than this.
Old January 24th, 2010, 11:11 PM
-jordan-

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaSebsch View Post
I'll be waiting for the taxing of fast food chains....

Seriously guys, the bill has only been proposed. There are countless bills being proposed and never get passed.
There has been a bill that proposes the elimination of income, corporate, and sales tax, yet you can see where that landed.

Before everybody gets all wild about this, wait till it actually gets a little more serious than this.
Fast food, motorcycles... Those shoes with the wheels in them.... Stairs? Soon we'll all be waddling around in bubble wrap suits... JK... Yeah, these political talks can get really heated really fast...
Old January 24th, 2010, 11:15 PM
gnuworldorder
Banned

im willing to bet dollars to doughnuts that its big tobacco lobbying to get an even bigger strangle hold on the market
Old January 24th, 2010, 11:16 PM
DaSebsch
Hookah Aficionado

Quote:
Fast food, motorcycles... Those shoes with the wheels in them.... Stairs? Soon we'll all be waddling around in bubble wrap suits... JK... Yeah, these political talks can get really heated really fast...
Well I'm just saying.

It's obvious that a lot of people are dissatisfied with the current administration, me included to a certain degree, but to blame this bill on the whole Democratic party is like painting the whole Republican party to be like Sarah Palin.

Like I said, let's wait and see what actually happens.
Old January 24th, 2010, 11:20 PM
britjh22
Hookah Nut

Well let's not wait and see too quietly, regardless of party I don't think anyone here wants this bill to pass.
Old January 24th, 2010, 11:24 PM
DaSebsch
Hookah Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by britjh22 View Post
Well let's not wait and see too quietly, regardless of party I don't think anyone here wants this bill to pass.
Well, write to your representatives, that's what they're there for.
Old January 24th, 2010, 11:26 PM
gnuworldorder
Banned

there is 0 reason for this at all. how do they leave cigs out of it? it would easily generate 100x more money
Old January 24th, 2010, 11:33 PM
DaSebsch
Hookah Aficionado

“To amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to impose the same rate of tax on pipe tobacco as is imposed on roll-your-own tobacco.”
Old January 24th, 2010, 11:35 PM
DaSebsch
Hookah Aficionado

PS: It's not even clear that this tobacco tax would also be applicable to hookah tobacco since you can make 150g of hookah tobacco from about 15-20 grams of dry/pipe tobacco.

The weight of the tobacco in the hookah tobacco is only a tiny percentage. The molasses makes up most of the weight that you see printed on the tobacco boxes.
Old January 24th, 2010, 11:37 PM
gnuworldorder
Banned

FET on pack of (20) cigarettes = $1.01 per pack - old rate was $0.39
FET on pipe tobacco = $2.83 per pound - old rate was $0.0686 per oz. ($1.0969 per pound)
FET on Roll Your Own tobacco = $24.78 per pound - old rate was $0.0686 per oz. ($1.0969 per pound)
FET on cigarette papers (50 or less) = $0.0315 - old rate was $0.0122
FET on cigarette tubes (50 or less) = $0.0630 - old rate was $0.0244

thats the current taxes on tobacco. look weird? thank big tobacco
Old January 25th, 2010, 01:33 AM
Kwikwi
Hookah Guru

Signed and sent. I'm tired of this bullshit. No matter who is in office we all get screwed.
Old January 25th, 2010, 01:38 AM
Hookah_Native
Hookah Nut

I really hope this bill doesnt go any where...

we might as well NERF the world!!!!!! lol
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook