Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Harshness problem! help!

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old February 11th, 2010, 04:58 AM
B4TheRush
Hookah Nut

Default Harshness problem! help!

Hey guys, so i wouldnt call myself a noobie but im having some problems with harshness these past few days that i never had before. I recently got my new km amer and tangiers small funnel with some CH ql's and i smoked a bowl of SB pumpkin pie in the new funnel with 3 ql's on the whole time no windcover and it worked beautifully. Well today i tried a large egyptian with SB and used 3 CH ql's to get it going then dropped to 2 because after 5 minutes it was incredibally harsh i took off the coals and bowl blew it out let it sit put 2 on the very edge and it was harsh with practically no smoke so that bowl ended after 15 min tops. i then loaded up a small egyptian with 2 CH ql's on the very edge and it got harsh within 10 minutes and i know its not my packing the shisha wasnt touching the foil it was nice and tight and a fluffy sb pack i removed the coals as soon as i caught it and it never got un harhs so that bowl ended. Later tonight i decided to try the funnel again because it worked great last time so i loaded it up with SB winterfresh and 3 CH ql's and it was great for 20 min no harshness perfect smoke and flavor then within a minute it got super harsh i took off the coals and the bowl blew it out let it sit 5 minutes and took out the burnt shisha. Threw it back on with 2 coals and a windcover and it never got going and still was harsh after 10 min with practically no smoke. So im asking HP for some help!! what am i doing wrong? im new to CH coals first batch so is it im just not used to the heat they give off? i;ve used other ql's before mainly naturals though and never had a problem if anything the heat wasnt enough so im just not sure what im doing wrong any input would help! should i drop it to 2 coals after it gets going? (5 minutes or so)

Thanks guys!
Old February 11th, 2010, 07:26 AM
BuzzHookah
Hookah Pro

Default Re: Harshness problem! help!

From what you are saying i think i have a couple suggestions, the first being that when i use a small funnel bowl i use 2 CH quick lights broken into 4 halves helps with distribution. Use the windocover to warm it up in the beginning and see if that helps. Next would be since you are new to CH QL you MUST let them ash over (turn grey) before you start to use them, loading them to soon can ruin a bowl. My 3rd suggestion is that it seems like you love SB, what it sounds like to me is that you may not be giving the shisha the proper mix before packing your bowl, if you SB isn't extremely moist the smoke and taste you desire will be immediately lacking, it also dries out and burns very quickly. Otherwise make sure sure your foil isn't slumping over the spire and you should be good to go. good luck
Old February 11th, 2010, 03:49 PM
B4TheRush
Hookah Nut

thanks ill try out the 4 peices how do you cut them? just with a knife?
Old February 11th, 2010, 03:55 PM
XeRoFuN
Hookah Nut

Use a serrated knife. Think they are too hard for a straight blade (though I haven't tried, and could be dangerous if the straight blade were to slip since you are trying to cut a small item).

Anyway, how are you packing the bowl? I actually almost always use 3 CH coals and never have to drop it down to 2 because of harshness. I also always smoke outside with no windcover though.

Finally, I think starting off with 3 and dropping it to 2 would be good after 5 minutes or so. It also depends on the shisha. Some are more heat tolerant. Good luck!
Old February 11th, 2010, 04:00 PM
BuzzHookah
Hookah Pro

just make sure its a sharp knife, run the blade acros a few times to score the coal then just use your hands to break it, it will split on the fault line. Never split coal once they have been set a flame.
Old February 11th, 2010, 05:41 PM
Scarcity
Hookah Aficionado

Only thing I can think of is coal rotation.
Oh. too many holes can cause to much airflow when you draw and therefore producing too much heat?
Science idk.
Old February 11th, 2010, 07:09 PM
Laimis
Hookah Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to Laimis

I personally think more than 2 quick lights is gonna be always harsh, so use instant lights. As someone said too many holes is huge factor, also if a hose is big (don't mean the length) it might make the smoke harsh, but that's for natturals, I dk about insta lights, didn't use them inawhile
Old February 11th, 2010, 07:12 PM
XeRoFuN
Hookah Nut

Not necessarily. I've been using CH QLs lately, 3 of them on a Vortex, Egyptian (that came with my KM) and a Phunnel and I get great sessions. I guess it depends on how you position them. I start off with them edging on the lip of the bowl. As the smoke or flavor dies down, I bring them in and rotate.
Old February 11th, 2010, 07:19 PM
Rob416
Hookah Guru

Send a message via AIM to Rob416

yea my suggestions would be to check out some vids. of Hole Patterns, and packing a phunnel. remember every shisha is different and needs to be packed accordingly. also make sure your coals are fully lit and ash them constantly, also keep them in rotation.
Old February 11th, 2010, 07:48 PM
B4TheRush
Hookah Nut

kk sounds good guys thanks for all the input! I'll try all these techniques like 2 CH ql's split into 4 and 3 on the edge with fewer holes because i have been using a nammor and v3 narbish with big hits and judging by how it goes from fine to instant harsh in about 2 seconds it could be im drawing too fast and it will burn the shisha. I used petalbadboy2006's method to pack SB in a tangiers phunnel same with AF but i just got 6 50g's and 2 250g's of al waha in today so ill will definately be trying some different things! thanks so much guys ill let you know how it turns out!
Old February 11th, 2010, 09:45 PM
B4TheRush
Hookah Nut

well we smoked al waha frappaccino with 2 CH ql's cut into 4 pieces and worked great but the smoke never got very thick and they died kinda quick even with a wind cover so ima try 3 again on the edges and see how well that works
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook