Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

i need a quick solution

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old January 23rd, 2008, 11:02 AM
fashow69
Hookah Nut

Default i need a quick solution

ok soooo me and my girl like to have thick ass clouds when we smoke which isnt hard for us to get.. but 9 times out of 10 it tastes like burnt ass lol I know proper heat control would help but im not having any good luck basically we want to get thick smoke but still with flavor and not tasting burnt... ive notice alot of you in your vids/ pics have thick smoke and my question for you is did it taste like shit while you were doing it or not?? if not please tell me how to keep the sweet taste of my expensive starbuzz while still maintaining big thick clouds.

*edit* btw, at the beginning of my sesh, i put the coal on the bowl and let it sit for 5 mins like in SamBs how to vid.... then the first 4 hits bring in nice smoke with good flavor but after that, the rest of the session tastes burnt..
Old January 23rd, 2008, 11:25 AM
sammniamii
Hookah Guru

Default Re: i need a quick solution

What type/brand coals are you using?
How many coals are you using?
Are you placing them on the outside edge?
And are you using a windcover?
Are you moving the coals every 5-10 mins?
What Brand of tobacco are you using?
Are you under/overpacking?

Edit - if your using SB, you need to watch the heat like a hawk. SB has heat issues, I even burn it occussianly.

Use 1 to 1.5 pieces of coal, on the outside edge, moving it ever 5-10 mins. If not getting enough smoke/taste, cover w/ a windcover to 5-10 min and try. This is one major complaint I have w/ SB.... too picky w/ the heat!
Old January 23rd, 2008, 11:29 AM
fashow69
Hookah Nut

What type/brand coals are you using?
3 kings quick lite

How many coals are you using?

Are you placing them on the outside edge?
yes

And are you using a windcover?
no

Are you moving the coals every 5-10 mins?
just about...

What Brand of tobacco are you using?
Starbuzz exotic margarita

Are you under/overpacking?
sometimes maybe underpacking but i never over pack it.

yea maybe its just starbuzz i have better luck with AF berry the taste stays longer but eventually gets the burnt taste but my goal is to only have the flavors tastes through out the whole session with decently thick smoke...
Old January 23rd, 2008, 11:32 AM
sammniamii
Hookah Guru

Like I said, SB has heat issues, some flavors more than others. Try moving the coals more often, make sure you have cold water/ice in the base and use a Windcover instead of more coals. What size of hookah are you using?

Another hint/tip: use a larger bowl and underpack it - I have found that leaving a good bit of space bwt the tobacco & foil when smoking SB does help.
Old January 23rd, 2008, 11:55 AM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

OK, I will do a video on this topic ... but I will try to explain it to you here ...

OK you need a good deep bowl
... for a one to three people session, I will use a MYA bowl, they are deep enough so you can put in a good amount of tobacco for one person, but leave a cushion of air between the foil and the top of the tobacco.
... for more then one person, I will choose between a small phunnel OR a Saudi Arabian Hookah Head (just depends on how I feel) and I will leave a good cushion of air between the foil and the tobacco. The Saudi Head, is just a bowl I found that holds a lot of tobacco, and is nice and deep!

Always fluff up your tobacco and sprinkle/loosely pack it in (see video) Set it up with a good cushion of air between the foil and the top of the tobacco. You will have to play around with the height of the tobacco, and the holes in the foil. But it is trial and error to find out what works for which coals and which brand of tobacco.
Take a look at the video above because in this vid I am using the Saudi Bowl, with a random spiral of holes in the foil, made with a toothpick. You can see about how I pack the bowl, and that I leave a little MORE cushion of air on the outside edges of the bowl. NO matter what, the tobacco NEVER touches the foil, and I probably have a cushion of air about 3/16th space around the outside edges and 1/8th around the middle.

OK, now you want some good flavorful clouds!? Of course you do, we all do! Here is how ... Place the coals on the very outter edges of the bowl. Let the bowl heat up before you start puffing away! You should have some nice flavorful clouds, maybe not super huge! But pretty good clouds nonetheless. Just make sure your coals are on the VERY outter edges, I mean so close to the outter edge that they are close to falling off! Rotate about every 10-15 minutes ... and after about 30 minutes, you can start moving them in a little bit.

NOW! If you have patience and time management, get a windcover and put that on! You will INCREASE the heat of the overall bowl, and get even more smoke! You will have to monitor it though, so as not to burn your tobacco. You may have to take it off and put it back on, it definitely requires some management, until you find the right amount of coals and location on the bowl) This is where you will get the most flavorful and thick clouds ... but you need a good cushion of air, because the windcover will bring the heat up higher! But if you manage the windcover, coals, and bowl just right, you can get some really nice flavorful clouds of smoke!

I should also note, that for coal amount, I use 3/4 stick of Exoticas, or 2 golden quicklights, or three to four Japanese Square coals. All of these amounts are depending on size of bowl. For instance, I would only use 2/4 Exoticas on a MYA OR 3 Japanese Squares. While for the Saudi I would use 4 Japanese, 3/4 Exoticas, 2 Golden Quicklights.

Hope that helps!? It is a little hard to explain so I will do a video on it in the future, to explain it in more detail ...

Cheers!

http://www.hookahpro.com - Hookah Pro Community - Hookah Forum
~Favorite Hookah~ Khalil Mamoon Amer .. (she leans, so I call her Eileen)
~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Al Fakher Mint, Al Fakher Orange, Al Fakher Cinnamon
HookahPro.com .. powered by Elites!
Old January 23rd, 2008, 11:57 AM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

Basically, what you are doing with the windcover, is to heat up the bowl as if it was in an oven. Cuz essentially what you are trying to do is "cook" the tobacco to the point of making it smoke, the "smoking point". You don't want to actually burn it, just heat it up to a "smoking point" ... Hope that makes sense?

~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Old January 23rd, 2008, 12:07 PM
fashow69
Hookah Nut

thanks SamB and samiamm that does make alot of sense. im using a medium sized 25 inch classic egyptian hookah with just a basic clay bowl... its deep but not as deep as you explained to me so i just might go buy another deeper bowl... i tried using two coals at once and i got huge!!! thick clouds but it tasted soo burnt!!!!! lol... i get the cooking the shisa point... and thats what i try to do but i allways seem to burn it... but i should try to pack a lil less shisha i got a new bowl with my new 30 inch classic egyptian hookah though maybe ill use that one..
Old January 23rd, 2008, 12:09 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Heating up the glycerine on the tobacco is what produces the milky whiteness of the clouds. When you over-do the heat, the tobacco get's toasted and you get that terrible burning fruit tobacco taste.

What it sounds like to me is that your holes are too big, and your coal stays in one place for too longs. Poke your foil with less smaller holes, and make sure when you out your coal on the foil it isn't hissing and smoking (that means you are burning it). This is usually caused by the foil dropping down because of the number of holes in it, and if the holes are too large.

You can also break the coal in half and put the halves on opposite sides. This will spread around the total amount of heat instead of concentrating it in one place.

The Windcover works perfect, you need to use less coals if the tobacco is getting burnt. Although, with some bowls, they become too hot and no matter what your smoke will be burnt tasting. When that happens you must take the cover off and let the baccy sit for 10 or so minutes.
Old January 23rd, 2008, 12:12 PM
JillyIsJustKidding
Deleted Per User Request

Maybe your baccy is dry. Revitalize it by using glycerin.

Or...Check to see if there is any baccy stuck to the foil and that's probably why it tastes burnt. Also, what helps is to break your coals up in halfs for even burning.

Are you packing just a lil under the rim of the bowl?
Old January 23rd, 2008, 03:22 PM
fashow69
Hookah Nut

ok thats all making sense too and yea i pack my bowl to were the i just barely reaches the rim im gonna try to use my new bowl which is much deeper... and poke less holes??
Old January 23rd, 2008, 04:08 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

Well, you want enough holes for airflow ... otherwise your draw is going to be hard ... you will get it fashow! Keep us posted, so we can figure it out faster, and get you smoking those big, full, flavorful clouds of delicious hookah!

Cheers!

Old January 23rd, 2008, 07:58 PM
fashow69
Hookah Nut

well i just got my diffuser today.. i tried all the stuff you guys said and it was more flavorfull but there was barely any smoke at all?
Old January 23rd, 2008, 09:18 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashow69
well i just got my diffuser today.. i tried all the stuff you guys said and it was more flavorfull but there was barely any smoke at all?
Ya got to experiment now fashow, and see what you can do using those methods, to gain the most smoke, while still keeping it flavorful. You will get it man! Just takes practice, practice, practice! Ohhh and did I mention practice!?

Old January 23rd, 2008, 10:09 PM
freepain
Hookah Newbie

Send a message via AIM to freepain

Also another thought is how are you making the holes in your foil?
I find Lots and Lots of little holes makes a much better longer lasting smoke than just a couple big holes,
Thumb tacks are great for this.
Old January 24th, 2008, 01:31 AM
HookahMaster
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammniamii
Like I said, SB has heat issues, some flavors more than others. Try moving the coals more often, make sure you have cold water/ice in the base and use a Windcover instead of more coals. What size of hookah are you using?

Another hint/tip: use a larger bowl and underpack it - I have found that leaving a good bit of space bwt the tobacco & foil when smoking SB does help.
Funny you say this, because I've experienced serious heat issues with Al Fakher and not Strabuzz. I've never had an overheating problem with any Starbuzz flavor. And yet, the other day when I tried Al Fakher for the first time, it couldn't handle the amount of heat my Starbuzz handles on a day to day basis.
Old January 24th, 2008, 07:27 AM
dmcwebd
Vendor

Send a message via MSN to dmcwebd

try adding layers of foil
Old January 26th, 2008, 12:19 PM
fashow69
Hookah Nut

ok guys well i tried some stuff and for t he past two nights i have been doing well with some AF cocktail flavour... and it wasnt burnt, also the diffuser didnt work how i expected it too... it filled the vase up with thick smoke so you know you are about to get some thick shit but as soon as you inhale it and exhale it barely anything is there?? i feel like i wasted 17 bucks.. but thanks for all the help im starting to get the hang of it my sessions have gotten alot better now thanks guys!
Old January 26th, 2008, 12:21 PM
Huskysibe
Hookah Master

If you "inhale" the smoke it wont be thick on the exhale. If you draw the smoke in your mouth and exhale it should be nice clouds.
Share with your friends on facebook