Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Name-less hookahs vs Name-brand Hookahs

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old February 12th, 2010, 04:56 AM
TerryAki
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to TerryAki
Default Name-less hookahs vs Name-brand Hookahs

(I know i make a lot of threads asking a lot of questions. I'm very sorry for being a noob =T)

I've noticed almost everyone here on the site (at least more experienced smokers) have name brand hookahs. Whether it be Khalil Mamoon or Nammor, people on this site seem to be able to easily identify their hookahs with a name.

My question is, is there a main difference between name-brand hookahs and name-less hookahs? When it comes to buying accessories does it make it easier if it has a name?

I currently have an 11' disco pumpkin hookah that i got from a friend. And i have no idea if it even has a name.

But i am about to purchase a "Medium 20 Inch Black Hookah" off of dirtcheaphookahs.com. I dont know if it has a name but if it does i would like to know it as well.

The "Medium 20 Inch Black Hookah" is standard 1 hose. I would like to be able to turn my new hookah into a double hose but im afraid since its name-less it will be hard for me to find an adapter.

Help please? I know i have a lot of questions, but i really appreciate your help.
Old February 12th, 2010, 10:32 AM
XeRoFuN
Hookah Nut

Default Re: Name-less hookahs vs Name-brand Hookahs

I don't think it matters....HOWEVER, when you buy a name brand hookah like a KM, you know you'll get quality, something that hits great, and maybe last years and years. With nameless hookahs, IF they are built in the same fashion and care with quality metals, good welds, etc., it will last just as long and hit just as well, but that's a risk you take when buying one (maybe it will be just as good, maybe it'll be crap). So, in the end, buying a name brand hookah gives you piece of mind that it will be a good one (I know there are bad KMs that some people get and that's because they are handmade, etc etc...just talking in general).

Also accessories and whatnot that I come across can usually be used on other hookahs unless they are really oddball hookahs.

Last edited by XeRoFuN; February 12th, 2010 at 10:35 AM.
Old February 12th, 2010, 11:27 AM
BuzzHookah
Hookah Pro

The brand name means as much as with any other product, your going to get a better car if you buy BMW instead of a KIA. The KIA will get you from point A to B it just wont be as fun on the ride and it wont appeal to anybody else, not to mention BMW have longer shelf life then kias do. But it all comes down to preference man, you might love kias, and there inst anything wrong with that. My first hookah was a large SSC and i replaced it with a Pharonie in 6 months, the SSC was fine but its just not a KM ya know?. As far as the 2 hose question goes, you are correct, you will have less options in terms of transforming it into a 2 hose and you may not be able to do it at all. How much is your new rig going to cost
Old February 12th, 2010, 01:44 PM
CypherEnigma
Hookah Pro

Photolinger wrote a good guide to the basics of most of the types of pipes available in the US. His guide goes over the basic countries of origin and some of the more known brands.(http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11029) The biggest differences to look for are in the construction. A lot of people like the large gauge downstems because the downstem makes for less restricted draw. Another thing to be aware of is the chamber. I prefer traditional chambers because they have a stronger purge. Common chambers do not purge as quickly or as thoroughly.

36" Al Falkher Solid - 36" KM Copper Heart Two Hose - 22" Temsah Mini-Wheat(a.k.a. Golden Nugget)
Old February 12th, 2010, 06:15 PM
Bogalu
Banned

Depending on the hookah you will have a throttled draw. Meaning your actual stem will be smaller or your hose inlet will be smaller. For instance, your pumpkin has an very throttled draw. Your stem is tight and your hose inlet is even worse.

The motto "You get what you pay for" applies very well in the world of hookahs and accessories. If I were you I would get a nice small Mya from that website versus a large generic Chinese hookah like what your planning to get.

http://www.dirtcheaphookahs.com/inde...roducts_id=188
http://www.dirtcheaphookahs.com/inde...roducts_id=189
http://www.dirtcheaphookahs.com/inde...roducts_id=187

Any of the above 3 hookahs are $50 bucks a piece from that exact website your looking at. I'm sure its a little more than what your hoping to spend but the above 3 hookahs are MYA's and are very great quality. Parts such as vases are easy to replace if you break them, stems are easy to replace if you loose/get it stolen from you (it happens.)

Above all of that the draw will be great. Don't let the size fool you, they are amazing hookahs and you'll thank me later for convincing you to pick 1 of those up instead.

Plus the hose is better, it comes in a very nice carrying case rather than a crappy cardboard box, and above all the size is so great that bringing it to a friends house will be of great ease.

As long as you clean your MYA, it will last a LONG time. Mine has lasted 3 years so far and is still doing great. So do yourself a favor and get a good quality hookah. Any of the above 3 will do. Smoke on bro.
Old February 12th, 2010, 06:17 PM
erok623
Hookah Nut

its like choosing from a hamburger or a steak. if you get a hamburger its just going to be meat, it could be good or could be the best. but if you get a porter house steak, you know your getting a quality piece of meat... you can't go wrong with a nice juicy steak. damn now i'm hungry! LOL!

26"KM Kafae / 28"MZ Oracle / 17"Egyptian / 10"Blueberry Hookah / MYA Bambino
Old February 12th, 2010, 06:21 PM
tapatio10floz
Hookah Nut

I have a nameless hookah that I got from South smoke.com and it smokes nicely
Old February 12th, 2010, 06:33 PM
Bogalu
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapatio10floz View Post
I have a nameless hookah that I got from South smoke.com and it smokes nicely
Have you had a name brand hookah such as a KM to compare it too? I thought my first hookah which was a chinese generic made by inhale was good, I also thought my MYA was good, but after getting my KM it made me feel like I was using novelty toys. No joke, the difference was astronomical. I'm not trying to tear down your love for your hookah but if you haven't smoked a KM before to compare it to then how do you know if your missing something?

FYI, there is nothing wrong with a MYA, it is a great quality hookah that officially got me hooked into this world. It is the PERFECT starter hookah and will last you a LONG time until you rack up the cash to get you a KM or Brass Al Fakher. Both of which are AMAZING hookahs and will be a nice upgrade from your Mya many years down the line.
Old February 12th, 2010, 06:40 PM
photolinger
Arabian Sensation

Send a message via AIM to photolinger Send a message via MSN to photolinger Send a message via Yahoo to photolinger Send a message via Skype™ to photolinger

To be honest, I like my Mya Bambino, its small, its chinese, but still works well. Sometimes its a better hookah for the task at hand, but if I can bring my AF/Nour or my KM Americana somewhere, I will!

"blu mist rulz dawg an that stuff ain't like it an if youz don't agree you bez a shithead yo" - Hajo Flettner
Old February 12th, 2010, 06:42 PM
tapatio10floz
Hookah Nut

My friend has one and I smoked from it and it is a lot better but if you want something cheap you will still have fun. I really want to get a km
Old February 12th, 2010, 06:54 PM
Bogalu
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapatio10floz View Post
My friend has one and I smoked from it and it is a lot better but if you want something cheap you will still have fun. I really want to get a km
I agree. I've heard good things from the colossus. TerryAki, if your dead set on getting a bigger hookah then I would recommend the Colossus, its a little more expensive but at least its not an Inhale brand hookah. If you don't mind a smaller hookah that will smoke just as well as the colossus if not better then get the MYA's I mentioned above.
Old February 12th, 2010, 07:53 PM
-jordan-

The biggest difference between name brand pipes and the "others" is quality. Cheaper pipes rust out, fall apart, have tight draw, tilt/lean, leak air, and are overall poor quality.. But, with a name brand, you don't have those problems and you'll have a pipe that will last years and years and years. The cheaper ones usually end up being replaced, and upgraded.. Best to invest a little extra and buy a pipe that'll last and hit well.
Old February 13th, 2010, 12:37 AM
MAD_HATTER
Hookah Master

WTF!! PHOTOLINGER!! lol
Old February 13th, 2010, 02:17 AM
TerryAki
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to TerryAki

Thank you for every ones input. I greatly appreciate it. I am very dead on getting a bigger hookah, mainly because i smoke socially with usually groups of 4+. With a small hookah it tends to tip around a lot when i try to pass the hose or someone pulls on it too hard. At least with a bigger hookah i can put a longer hose on it without it looking ridiculous or taking the chance of it falling over.

I'm probably still going to get that black chinese one on dirtcheaphookah just because the price is very cheap for its size. It will be temporary until i save enough money for a very high quality smoker like a KM. I just really need to replace my small pumpkin hookah. There seems to be endless problems with it. =T

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD_HATTER View Post
WTF!! PHOTOLINGER!! lol
yeah i agree, aren't you in iraq?
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook