Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Question for you hookah heads

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old February 19th, 2010, 04:34 AM
Mafoo
Hookah Newbie

Default Question for you hookah heads

So I've heard and some you guys say a mya QT are as good and hits as good as a KM or other great hookahs. So what is the point of buying an expensive, bigger and harder to clean hookah when you can get a QT. Is it just for the looks or is there really a difference? Just a thought.
Old February 19th, 2010, 05:00 AM
Hookah Lungs
Hookah Nut

Default Re: Question for you hookah heads

For me, the looks are a big factor when I'm in the market for a pipe. Sure, the QT smokes great, but I'd rather pay for a beautifully crafted pipe and something that's not as tiny as the QT. That's why KMs are so unique and treasured in my opinion.

Also, I always smoke on my couch (or friends' couches), so I'd rather have a nice large 30-40" hookah that I can easily reach to adjust the coals. I don't feel the need to buy a small table to put a tiny pipe on, so something like the QT would not match up with my smoking preferences.

After saying that, though, I'm planning on grabbing a QT at some point just for the hell of it lol.
Old February 19th, 2010, 08:37 AM
BuzzHookah
Hookah Pro

Performance aside, the appearance of the hookah can change the entire session, a tall, hand crafted hookah is a piece of art, a qt is like a sollution. To enjoy hookah to me you need a centerpiece and a qt doesn't qualify as that.
Old February 19th, 2010, 10:59 AM
Coyotero
Hookah Guru

I call shenanigans.

There's no way such a short pipe can properly cool the smoke to provide the same quality as a 30+ inch hookah.

I will say that the QT is probably the best thing out there for the money.

That said, I've smoked a QT, and I smoke my pharonie every day, and I will tell you, there is a huge difference.
Old February 19th, 2010, 11:16 AM
BTBAMordecai
Hookah Pro

I buy big hookahs purely for looks haha
Old February 19th, 2010, 11:22 AM
gnuworldorder
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotero View Post
I call shenanigans.

There's no way such a short pipe can properly cool the smoke to provide the same quality as a 30+ inch hookah.

That said, I've smoked a QT, and I smoke my pharonie every day, and I will tell you, there is a huge difference.
i will one up you and call filibuster. I think we need to settle this with a series of ABX testing. also i own both a QT and a KM. the km takes under a minute to clean. all you do is wipe it dry and then hit it with a brush a few times and push a towel through it. the qt is hallow so its a pita to clean
Old February 19th, 2010, 11:23 AM
britjh22
Hookah Nut

QT's are not as good as a KM, let's just make that clear. That being said, for the size and money, they are probably the best or close to it. In my limited experience with my girl's QT, the draw is a bit more limited, it doesn't manage the smoke's heat as well (short stem), and the purge is not that great because of the chamber design. The tray is also somewhat annoyingly small, but that is to be expected.

That being said, for a fairly cheap, small hookah, it definitely has an air of solidity about it.
Old February 19th, 2010, 11:50 AM
manjaco
Hookah Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotero View Post
I call shenanigans.

I agree for the most part. My QT is great for the money but sometimes you want a more decorative piece. Also the km has an easier draw i've noticed due to the wider gauge of the pipe. The QT is incredibly convenient for travel and you don't have to kill someone if they knock it over But I usually prefer the beauty of a KM, and the smoke quality is fantastic! So there are positives and negatives for each.
Old February 19th, 2010, 03:09 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

QTs are garbage. I know because when I owned a shisha cafe I owned huge numbers of the things and they all fell apart in in under a year. Honestly small rigs never smoke as well a full sized one since the smoke is hotter/harsher. The reason you buy a QT is because it's cheap and that is a fool's economy since you'll spend way more on moassel and coals in a year then you'll spend on a typical well made, full sized rig.
Old February 19th, 2010, 04:55 PM
kalutika
Mad Alchemist

I am a fan of the QT and Bambino but they are not THAT good. They smoke well and are great travel hookahs. The draw on a larger, well designed and well made hookah will be better and offer other nice advantages.
Old February 19th, 2010, 05:23 PM
Kelsey
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajo Flettner View Post
QTs are garbage. I know because when I owned a shisha cafe I owned huge numbers of the things and they all fell apart in in under a year. Honestly small rigs never smoke as well a full sized one since the smoke is hotter/harsher. The reason you buy a QT is because it's cheap and that is a fool's economy since you'll spend way more on moassel and coals in a year then you'll spend on a typical well made, full sized rig.
My QT has been going strong for over 18 months now.
Mine can produce huge clouds, easily as big as a KM and obviously the smoke will get a bit warmer but with ice in the base it isn't even noticable. My smoke doesn't get harsh with the way I pack it and rotate coals.

True the QT is cheaper but it gets the same job done and while some say the KMs look nicer, to me they often don't. Not everyone wants that really old school look, not to mention it seems that 1/3 people have a problem with their KM cosmetically.
Old February 19th, 2010, 05:29 PM
Dandyrandy
Hookah Newbie

i have a mya petite and a 32 inch km
as far as little hookahs go, my mya petite is amazing.
its easy to clean and it smokes great!
but the reason i still decided to buy a km, was not only cause of the looks,
but kms also sound like no other hookah.
its kinda like a cannon
hahahaha
so for me its looks and sound.
and as far as quality goes the km is a little better.
its got a wider gauge and its easier to pull
Old February 19th, 2010, 06:20 PM
Kelsey
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandyrandy View Post
i have a mya petite and a 32 inch km
as far as little hookahs go, my mya petite is amazing.
its easy to clean and it smokes great!
but the reason i still decided to buy a km, was not only cause of the looks,
but kms also sound like no other hookah.
its kinda like a cannon
hahahaha
so for me its looks and sound.
and as far as quality goes the km is a little better.
its got a wider gauge and its easier to pull
Stick a wide gauge hose in your small hookah and you're good (in my QT at least anyway).
Some people may like the sound of the KM, to be honest it's just because of the large base though, but that's not really a pro of the hookah.
Old February 26th, 2010, 09:44 PM
Raid3n
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to Raid3n

Not entirely there Kelsey. The larger base helps yes but the gauge of the downstem is also a huge contributing factor. With larger gauges larger bubbling action happens, thus the sound. If you were to stick a pumpkin stem in a large base you would have a bit of the "bass" more or less, but it's still going to be tiny bubbles. The thunderous sound you get from a KM won't be there because of stem gauge.

The QT unlike most smaller hookahs has a considerably larger gauge downstem. My old generic hookah which was twice the height could easily fit the downstem inside the QT's. Yes mixing that with a wider hose will give you the ease and smoke of a KM but due to it's size there are limiting factors. One of them being the harshness of smoke and the ease of sending water to the bowl and the likes. That is partially why most people prefer a KM over smaller MYAs. There is more to it than the smoke, and the biggest thing is the size of it keeps you from wasting tobacco by mistake, and make the sound fans satisfied as well.
Old February 26th, 2010, 11:03 PM
Kelsey
Hookah Nut

I've used KMs week in week out and I don't really consider them much better than my QT, maybe marginally but not really that I can notice to be honest.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook