Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Newbie Flavor

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old March 9th, 2010, 04:17 PM
Somedude
Hookah Newbie

Question Newbie Flavor

Hey Everybody,

So i'm sure this comes up alot, but just bear with me.
I'm pretty new to hookah, and I was just wondering. What's the one flavor you think every newbie should smoke? The flavor/brand that just shouldn't be missed? I've been reading tons of reviews, but I bounce around alot, and i'm having a had time deciding what to smoke first.

Thanks,

Somedude
Old March 9th, 2010, 04:19 PM
hatchcrap
Banned

Default Re: Newbie Flavor

i am eagerly awaiting the arrival of my first hookah as well. i asked this same question today. and it seems the overwhelming answer has been starbuzz blue mist. luckily that just happened to be a part of my order.
Old March 9th, 2010, 04:21 PM
HookahWaffle
Deleted Per User Request

Nakhla Mizo Mint!
Old March 9th, 2010, 04:26 PM
Somedude
Hookah Newbie

Oh ya guess I'll list what I've tried so far. Sadly it's a short list.

1)Romman-Good Times- My favorite so far I like the strong mint with the transition to citrus.
2)Fantasia-Peach
3)Hookah Hookah-Apple
4)Romman-Strawberry-Least Favorite it had a weird weak synthetic flavor.
Old March 9th, 2010, 04:29 PM
Kelsey
Hookah Nut

There's plenty you could try.
The only thing I'd suggest is as a newbie, you're probably going to want to stay away from double apple and mint. You may like those but most people don't. I'd also advise steering clear of Nakhla.

Most people recommend Starbuzz Citrus, Blue mist.
I think if you go for any Al Fakher/Starbuzz shisha and make a nice mix of flavours you'll probably like what you try.

PS. Social Smoke is getting very good reviews too.
Old March 9th, 2010, 04:40 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

Anybody that is a connoisseur of hookah has an appreciation for Mint and Double Apple. Give them both a try or you are totally cheating yourself!

http://www.hookahpro.com - Hookah Pro Community - Hookah Forum
~Favorite Hookah~ Khalil Mamoon Amer .. (she leans, so I call her Eileen)
~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Al Fakher Mint, Al Fakher Orange, Al Fakher Cinnamon
HookahPro.com .. powered by Elites!
Old March 9th, 2010, 05:25 PM
Screamsalvation
Hookah Newbie

As a newbie myself I started out with Double Apple at the local mediterranean restaurant and loved it. Tried a mocha blend the other night and really enjoyed it too. They have a Extra Sour Apple (don't know the brand) that i love also and a "Jordan Blend" that is amazing. Course they will not give me the recipe for their Jordan Blend.

I guess it all varies from person to person and tastes. Try all you can, when all else fails see if you can get a 50g to sample before buying a larger amount. Some of the members around here seem cool enough where they might "Sell" or trade you a small amount of a flavor for your sampling. My hookah arrives Thursday so my happy days can begin.

The guys around the restaurant (all from Jordan) have made me and my friend some pretty awesome blends. One of the guys was smoking the other night and called us over to smell the blend, he mixes himself a blend of their arabic coffee spices and fresh cardomom when he smokes. Promised to blend me a bowl of it the next time I was there when he was.

If you'd be interested in the next couple weeks as I smoke at home and buy more stuff I'd be willing to trade samples of shisha with you so we can both see what we like.
Old March 9th, 2010, 05:29 PM
TerryAki
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to TerryAki

You definitely want to try, Double apple and Starbuzz Blue mist. Blue mist is definitely one of the most popular flavors around the site, at least thats what i seem to have noticed.

I'd also recommend Fantasia Purple Haze. Has more of a grape drink flavor to it. =]
Old March 9th, 2010, 05:31 PM
Somedude
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
If you'd be interested in the next couple weeks as I smoke at home and buy more stuff I'd be willing to trade samples of shisha with you so we can both see what we like.
Ya that would be cool kinda like a box exchange.
Old March 9th, 2010, 05:48 PM
Screamsalvation
Hookah Newbie

Just give me a couple weeks to get into the swing of things and try some stuff.
Old March 9th, 2010, 05:51 PM
BobMarley
Hookah Guru

For a total newbie you probably just want a sort of candy flavor and big clouds I imagine. Could be totally wrong though.

Anyway, I'll recommend Starbuzz Citrus Mist. It tastes just like gummy bears.
Old March 9th, 2010, 06:25 PM
SonOfGram
Hookah Aficionado

Also try fantasia's pink lemonade.
Old March 9th, 2010, 06:32 PM
Kelsey
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sambooka View Post
Anybody that is a connoisseur of hookah has an appreciation for Mint and Double Apple. Give them both a try or you are totally cheating yourself!
I wouldn't say anybody, I've been smoking shisha for 6 years and still hate both of them.
I mostly hate double apple because it doesn't taste like the flavour it describes and I just don't like the licorice taste, most people I speak to don't like it either. Mint I don't hate, I just find that it tastes like mouthwash or toothpaste, the only time I'll have it is if it's mixed with chocolate.
Most of the 15 and 16 year olds that frequent my local hookah bars are the only ones I ever see ordering double apple and mint. I think most people like them because that's what they start off smoking, at least that's what the hookah bar owners always recommend.
Old March 9th, 2010, 06:32 PM
fatdom22
Hookah Nut

give starbuzz safari melon dew a shot its my favorite, as well as many of my friends.
Old March 9th, 2010, 06:38 PM
NickSalemi
Hookah Newbie

you deffinantly want to start simple... so here are my top 3 simple flavors
1) Al Fakher Strawberry
2)Al Fakher Watermelon
3) Starbuzz Pinapple
but i agree with sambooka... once you get more experienced, the stronger flavors like mint and double apple are incredible... mint being my favorite of the two.
Old March 9th, 2010, 07:24 PM
Coyotero
Hookah Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelsey View Post
I wouldn't say anybody, I've been smoking shisha for 6 years and still hate both of them.
I mostly hate double apple because it doesn't taste like the flavour it describes and I just don't like the licorice taste, most people I speak to don't like it either. Mint I don't hate, I just find that it tastes like mouthwash or toothpaste, the only time I'll have it is if it's mixed with chocolate.
Most of the 15 and 16 year olds that frequent my local hookah bars are the only ones I ever see ordering double apple and mint. I think most people like them because that's what they start off smoking, at least that's what the hookah bar owners always recommend.
Riiiiiight... Nakhla Double Apple is the best selling moassel in the world...

I don't like it either, but give credit where credit is due.
Old March 9th, 2010, 07:46 PM
Memories
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotero View Post
Riiiiiight... Nakhla Double Apple is the best selling moassel in the world...

I don't like it either, but give credit where credit is due.
QFT.. i don't much care for DA either.. but i know there are lots of people who love it.
As far as mint i have never really been disappointed with a mint, there is just so much variability in TYPES of mint its hard to pick which one to try.
I would recommend trying a few flavors from as many brands as you can. You'll notice when you bounce around threads then some people will tell you straight out what brand is there favorite but you can't really tell until you try it for yourself. I still have a few brands i have yet to try/only had one flavor from.
Anywho, i would recommend trying SB Bluemist and Citrus Mist, Romman Cinnamon, Fantasia or SB Peach, a few flavors of Nahkla(sp).. i don't know which are best because it's not one my favorites.. and try some kind of rose or vanilla.
Old March 9th, 2010, 08:02 PM
1lowtoy
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to 1lowtoy Send a message via Yahoo to 1lowtoy

I would just grab the bull by the horns and smoke some Nakhla Zag or some Desi Roof if i knew about these when i started i dont think i would have ever smoked anything else. Its up to you but blue mist seems to bee every ones fave as a starter smoke and was one of mine Besides AF peach.
Old March 9th, 2010, 08:27 PM
CypherEnigma
Hookah Pro

Sweet Melon is a pleasant flavor to start with, I'd personally recommend Nakhla's Sweet Melon but this might be a problem if you don't have a high nicotine tolerance. Also the either Mizo Peach or Mizo Grape are both very soild flavors IMO but still the same warning as before seeing as they have quite a bit more nicotine than washed brands.
Double Apple is a fantastic flavor but if I had started smoking Nakhla DA when I started hookah it might not have take hold with me. Its an incredibly pungent strong flavor and as others have mentioned is dripping with anise. My first Double Apple was Hookah-Hookah and after smoking this for a while I was able to make the jump and appreciate the qualities of Nakhla DA. Not everyone can jump right into these flavors(although it would've been sweet if I did).

36" Al Falkher Solid - 36" KM Copper Heart Two Hose - 22" Temsah Mini-Wheat(a.k.a. Golden Nugget)
Old March 9th, 2010, 08:40 PM
alanpeterson68
Hookah Aficionado

When I was just starting out I pretty much stuck to any Al- Fakher tobacco. Its price is moderate and offers really great flavors and clouds. If you have a little bit of money then splurge and get some Starbuzz or Fantasia. If you are looking for cheap thrills then get some Nakhla. Some of the Nak flavors are an acquired taste. I would recomend staying away from tangiers just because you are so new and tangiers is very heat sensitive.
Old March 9th, 2010, 11:24 PM
glostersa
Hookah Master

Nakhla Sweet melon Mizo grape and Mizo mint and DA
Old March 9th, 2010, 11:28 PM
gnuworldorder
Banned

kashmir peach hands down. it will rock your socks
Old March 10th, 2010, 05:49 AM
DiS oNe GuY
Hookah Newbie

Send a message via AIM to DiS oNe GuY

My local smoke shop makes their own tobacco, their rasberry lemonade is great! But since you're not near it =P,try Nakhla Mizo Lemon, it's yummy. SB Blue Mist like everyone said is good too. I can list a lot, but try some flavors out there, you might find some as dead ends and some are awesome for you. It's basically preference, if you like it, buy more of it!
Old March 10th, 2010, 09:07 AM
CaptHowdy
Hookah Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelsey View Post
Waffle must have given up.

Young people asking for DA and Mint, that's funny. Most people that I know steer clear of traditional and go for the sweet stuff. Not saying I don't like the sweet stuff, because I do, but finding people that like traditional is hard, especially the younger people. Why do you think SB is so popular and people pay whatever. SB is what young and new hookah people look for. It is what they think hookah is and what it should be. While you have been smoking for 6 years, I believe you still have a lot to learn.

Next thing you know you will be telling us only young kids like DM and that it is not what hookah is all about.
Favorite Hoses: 2 Large Nammor, Caravan, KM Rainbow, Ba Barkir
Old March 10th, 2010, 09:19 AM
DaSebsch
Hookah Aficionado

It depends on what you like.

Do you like artificial, 'modern' flavours like Cosmopolitan, Incredible Hulk, or something like that.

Or do you like fruit/natural flavors like Peach, Mint, Rose, Apricot.

If the modern flavors tickle your pickle (), then you should look into Starbuzz, Fantasia, Golden Layaline.

These will normally give you huge clouds with nice, thick smoke. It's also good for beginners since they don't really have a buzz and are easily managed when it comes to heat.

If you like the fruity, natural flavors, look into Nakhla, Layalina, and Al Fakher. Be careful with Al Fakher though, they've been having some manufacturing problems and putting out some bad batches.

These will normally give you medium smoke and a good to strong buzz.

My advice? Mix it up! I used to smoke Nakhla all the time, now I somehow find myself drawn to the overpriced, sweet brands like Starbuzz and Fantasia. I've been resisting the urge and have not bought any though, but I don't know how much longer I'll last.

What I've noticed with some Nakhla flavors is that after smoking it for a longer time, it almost repells me the the point where I don't even want to smell it. In times like those, I'm glad to have a variety of brands in my stash.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook