Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

weird taste

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old March 15th, 2010, 12:13 AM
guvernor
Hookah Newbie

Default weird taste

i'm a total noob btw.....so i'm not even sure if i can describe this taste but its sort of like a chemical/acidic type taste i get when i am smoking my egyptian hookah...

i recently got some AF golden rose and when i smoked it in my hookah..i got this weird chemicl/acidic harsh taste which kinda hurt my throat too..but then i took the AF golden rose over to a buddy's place and smoked it in his small mya...it tasted so pure and ...clean! it was like completely different then what i had tasted in my hookah....!

whats going on? i came home and thoroughly cleaned out my hookah and smoked it again...still the same...

so in my setup... i have an egyptian sphynx hookah ...standard egyptian bowl..i had it going with two starlight coconut naturals and a wind cover..whereas at my buddies place..we just had one quicklight and no wind cover...

is this even possible ?
Old March 15th, 2010, 12:17 AM
DRMALIKIA
Hookah Nut

Default Re: weird taste

Foil?
Old March 15th, 2010, 12:18 AM
MAD_HATTER
Hookah Master

rust in your hose maybe?

or in the stem?
Old March 15th, 2010, 01:43 AM
EssamHelmy
Hookah Nut

Its either your stem is not totally clean or you used dish soap and didnt clean it off, could be your coals not lit up completely, could be not enough holes in the foil, could be that you didn't double foil, could be that the holes in the foil are too big or not separated nicely, could be that your bowl is not clean, could be your hose not clean, could be your base not clean..... Thats all I can come up with at this point heh. Oh and it could be that you are not separating and sprinkling the tobacco in the bowl and its not burning efficiently, or it be that you're overpacking the bowl thus smoking burnt tobacco. Maybe you should watch some videos on youtube on how to clean your hookah and how to set it up and how to pack your bowl.

Good luck!
Old March 15th, 2010, 02:19 AM
oSPANNERo
Hookah Nut

Try starting with two coals and wind cover and when you get the slightest *HINT* of that harsh, pull off a coal... that might help
36" Solid Al Fakher, Blue Razan
29" KM Trimetal, KM "Red Lion" Gilded Base, Crown Jewel Bowl, Red v3 Narbish, CH "Solar Flare" Tip
Old March 15th, 2010, 07:21 AM
guvernor
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRMALIKIA View Post
Foil?
Hmmm.. What do you think it is that I am doing wrong with the foil?
One thing that I did feel is that I think my foil is too thin... Does that make a difference?
Old March 15th, 2010, 07:26 AM
guvernor
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssamHelmy View Post
Its either your stem is not totally clean or you used dish soap and didnt clean it off, could be your coals not lit up completely, could be not enough holes in the foil, could be that you didn't double foil, could be that the holes in the foil are too big or not separated nicely, could be that your bowl is not clean, could be your hose not clean, could be your base not clean..... Thats all I can come up with at this point heh. Oh and it could be that you are not separating and sprinkling the tobacco in the bowl and its not burning efficiently, or it be that you're overpacking the bowl thus smoking burnt tobacco. Maybe you should watch some videos on youtube on how to clean your hookah and how to set it up and how to pack your bowl.

Good luck!
thanks EssamHelmy... I also think it's the foil... Does double foil help? I use a toothpick to make the holes.. Those are the right size holes .. Right?
Old March 15th, 2010, 07:29 AM
CaptHowdy
Hookah Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by guvernor View Post
thanks EssamHelmy... I also think it's the foil... Does double foil help? I use a toothpick to make the holes.. Those are the right size holes .. Right?
For cheap non heavy duty foil, I double up the foil. For the holes I use a push pin/thumb tack, whatever you want to call it. For me a toothpick makes to big of holes. That is just me though.
Favorite Hoses: 2 Large Nammor, Caravan, KM Rainbow, Ba Barkir
Old March 15th, 2010, 10:33 AM
bpetruzzo
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to bpetruzzo Send a message via Skype™ to bpetruzzo

It kind of sounds to me like you might have too much heat. I know there are some AF flavors (for example AF Golden Apple) where too much heat makes it taste like soap. Or AF Double Apple with too much heat tastes like menthol. It would check the how-to videos and be sure that you're not overpacking your bowl, then add heat slowly and see if the flavor is better before things get real hot.

Also, keep in mind that a wind cover will amplify the heat, in a way.
Old March 15th, 2010, 12:20 PM
glostersa
Hookah Master

Take of the windcover and try it without too much heat
Old March 15th, 2010, 01:50 PM
EssamHelmy
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by guvernor View Post
Double foil definitely helps. If the foil you use is too thin it will transfer way too much heat to the tobacco and the heat from the coal will be directed at one spot on the bowl rather than spread out. I also use a tooth pick and I punch holes like circles. I start with a big circle til I reach the middle and I make sure the holes are separated nicely.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook