Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Need some guidence

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old March 16th, 2010, 10:03 PM
Jstowell2008
Hookah Newbie

Default Need some guidence

Im using a brand new Mya vortex with a standard bowl, set it all up today, used Romman watermelon to break it in, Started with 2 chornic quick light coals to get it up to temp, went decent, started to get a lil harsh so i took one off and moved the remaining one, then i got not smoke, but the other back on, still no smoke but very harsh.

Is it just me or is this thing a little to sensitive, im still learning heat managment but i tried 2 times tonight with no luck. got harsh to fast and couldnt keep a consistent smoke going, plus it never really tasted decent at all. Any guidance for a new hookah owner? I used to use my buddys Mya qt till he moved it got a few decent smokes every now and then.
Old March 16th, 2010, 10:15 PM
wildmancherry1
Hookah Nut

Send a message via MSN to wildmancherry1
Default Re: Need some guidence

sounds like your tobacco was touching the foil therefore it burnt really quick causing the harshness.
Old March 16th, 2010, 10:16 PM
Jstowell2008
Hookah Newbie

i thought it was too, but checked after cleaning up and there was plenty of space between the foil and tobacco.
Old March 16th, 2010, 10:24 PM
wildmancherry1
Hookah Nut

Send a message via MSN to wildmancherry1

another thing, i had alot of problems with the mya bowl that came with my bambino, its so small and my first few sessions i was burning stuff up, i bought a vortex bowl which solved alot of my problems.
Old March 16th, 2010, 10:39 PM
EssamHelmy
Hookah Nut

Try poking more holes in the foil and make sure that the holes are evenly separated and small. If there isn't enough air going through the bowl you wont get much smoke and you will be cooking and burning the tobacco inside the bowl.
Old March 16th, 2010, 10:42 PM
Jstowell2008
Hookah Newbie

Thanks for the help, Yes the mya bowl is quite small, I may look into a new hose and a vortex or phunnel bowl for it next paycheck if i cant get this figured out, ill try essam's tips tomorrow.
Old March 16th, 2010, 11:11 PM
thomas_j_smith
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to thomas_j_smith Send a message via Yahoo to thomas_j_smith

My phunnel bowl still works better then my vortex. Physics I guess? The draw is better, I guess that's because the center hole in the phunnel is just larger then the four holes a vortex comes with (bigger hole for draw... less resistance)? With that said, my vortex came with one of the four holes plugged. I'm gonna order another, and specify the holes be near the top (recommendation from CaptHowdy) and mention about the plugged hole in the last one. I'm still new to the vortex, but I'm thinking my problem is the blocked hole, and my learning curve.
Old March 16th, 2010, 11:16 PM
EssamHelmy
Hookah Nut

I use the Mya mini with the standard Mya bowl when am too lazy to setup my Khalil Mamoon. The way I pack my tobacco in there is to sprinkle and separate the tobacco and drop it into the bowl like a cotton ball. I make sure that the tobacco is not touching the foil at all and use two coals to warm it up then one coal for the entire session. Works everytime.

You will go through a lot of trials and errors and will soon make the perfect session. The mya bowl works perfectly fine you really don't need the phunnel bowl to smoke a perfect session with your Mya.
Old March 17th, 2010, 09:45 PM
Jstowell2008
Hookah Newbie

Just wanna say thanks for all the tips, Used 1 3kings i had layin around with some sb white peach, and all i can say is WOW, amazing flavor, HUGE clouds, 2 coals was way to many for this lil bowl, thanks guys, First great smoke with this much dense smoke ive ever had, including hookah bars.
Old March 17th, 2010, 10:03 PM
EssamHelmy
Hookah Nut

Glad to hear it! And on that note I will pack me some sb white peach my self lol that stuff is delicious
Old March 17th, 2010, 10:37 PM
ngraz617
Hookah Nut

The Mya Vortex is an excellent hookah and just to make sure it's set up right and are no leaks set the water in the vase and cover the bottom of your down stem about 1 1/2" (one and a half inches) the most. Place your grommet on your hose if needed, if there is one in the adapter forget the one on the hose and put that on and set up the correct grommet on your stem for your bowl and make sure it fits snug. First with the grommet on the stem and hose in place cover the hole at the top of the stem with your palm and blow into the hose and make sure there are no leaks anywhere and also take a hit and make sure you are getting no air. Once you are done try the same thing covering the bowl when in place. OK no leaks take your bowl and place shisha not too tight and use your finger and make a spot in the center with no tobacco and the shisha around it up to a 1/4" max below the foil. punch holes using a thin sharp toothpick around the outer perimeter of the bowl spacing the holes no more than a 1/4 of an inch apart. Move in about 1/4" and do another circle the same way, repeat to the middle of the bowl. Place two coal on its side standing upwards and put the wind cover on about two minutes. Take a hit and you should start getting good smoke and remove the wind cover. If you are happy the way it's smoking go on eventually lay the coals flat overhanging the bowl half way and smoke. Eventually you may move one or both coals completely on and after 10 minutes or so move the two coals to the two spots you haven't used yet working the coals as you wish. BTW when you are putting your holes in the foil go down to the bottom of the bowl. With the small area in the center of the bowl you will always have a good hit and this should work out. Eventually and the sooner the better get a large Nammor hose which goes well with the Mya hookah you have or any thicker wide diameter hose and get a Vortex bowl and or a phunnel bowl and this will take you to a new level of smoking pleasure. When you get the new bowl look at videos and read how to pack and smoke them or feel free to PM me. I almost forgot, try a different tobacco, something that is more heat resistant. I don't know what you like to smoke but you can try most Starbuzz flavors or Nakhla or Nakhla Mizo or anything not too delicate. Good luck.
Old March 17th, 2010, 11:07 PM
ariberns
Hookah Master

The mya bowl gets a carbon line on it that is much wider than other bowls. This line should be treated as if it were the foil and the shisha should not touch this line. What a pain, just get a better bowl, although my trick will work
Old March 17th, 2010, 11:34 PM
flippy
Hookah Enthusiast

Ahh those Mya bowls are pretty bad. I'd say try and get an egyptian bowl, or any of the other varieties.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook