Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Complete N00b question on Moassel flavors

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old March 23rd, 2010, 03:53 AM
shanaku
Hookah Nut

Default Complete N00b question on Moassel flavors

Hi,
This is a total noob question and may even be some form of cardinal sin to ask but...

Every tobacco I encounter tastes like a trip to a candy store, an icream parlor, or a session in a coffee shop. Are there any tobacco tasting tobaccos out there? Or is it all tuuti-fruiti and cappuccino?

I like the sweet flavor stuff but sometimes a fellah needs to smoke something that tastes like it made from tobacco not cotton candy.

No offense intended
Shanaku
Old March 23rd, 2010, 03:56 AM
TerryAki
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to TerryAki
Default Re: Complete N00b question on Moassel flavors

nah theres plenty of traditional moassel flavors out there. AF soft black being the most popular. But its only sold in a 1000g tub for about 40 bucks.

I know theres plenty out there for cheaper, im just the wrong person to ask cause i havent had much experience with it =[
Old March 23rd, 2010, 05:25 AM
Coyotero
Hookah Guru

Excellent! Another traditionalist!

We're in the minority here, but the traditional stuff is gaining a slow but steady foothold in the states. With the popularity of some of them, I wouldn't be surprised to see a few more pop up as time goes on.

Here's a rundown of what's easy to get.
Al Fakher Soft black- Traditional blend made by Al Fakher. Comes in a kilo tub and is quite smokable. It's a dark, slightly sweet tobacco and not skimpy on the molasses. I know ********** carries it, and about a half dozen other vendors who escape me at the moment.

Nakhla makes a number of traditional blends, the most popular is probably Zaghloul. It's darker and headier than the soft black, not as sweet. They make a few other blends like bata and super kass. Most places that carry a good selection of Nakhla should have some.

And the jewel in this molassed tobacco lovers crown is...

Desi Murli! Desi is blend of Indian tobaccos, and many of the flavors are treated with traditional eastern spices as well. Even their candy flavors (Like rasberry, strawberry milkshake, etc.) have a good strong spicy tobacco body to them which nicely balances the sweetness. Although I find I prefer the more spice-based flavors like Khus, Cardamom, and Pan Rasna. Desi Murli is simply put the best moassel you can buy in the states, bar none. Go to hookah1.com and order some. Seriously. Drop what you're doing and order some now.

And don't worry about offending anyone. I try to be offensive as possible when trashing drippy, syruppy, dyed, kool-aid flavored crap that pretends to be moassel. Don't be like me and you'll do fine.
Old March 23rd, 2010, 05:45 AM
vinit2cool
Hookah Newbie

Just get you some Nakhla DA in the jar
Old March 23rd, 2010, 07:31 AM
CaptHowdy
Hookah Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotero View Post

We're in the minority here, but the traditional stuff is gaining a slow but steady foothold in the states. With the popularity of some of them, I wouldn't be surprised to see a few more pop up as time goes on.

Al Fakher Soft black- Traditional blend made by Al Fakher. Comes in a kilo tub and is quite smokable. It's a dark, slightly sweet tobacco and not skimpy on the molasses. I know ********** carries it, and about a half dozen other vendors who escape me at the moment.

Nakhla makes a number of traditional blends, the most popular is probably Zaghloul. It's darker and headier than the soft black, not as sweet. They make a few other blends like bata and super kass. Most places that carry a good selection of Nakhla should have some.

Desi Murli! Desi is blend of Indian tobaccos, and many of the flavors are treated with traditional eastern spices as well. Even their candy flavors (Like rasberry, strawberry milkshake, etc.) have a good strong spicy tobacco body to them which nicely balances the sweetness. Although I find I prefer the more spice-based flavors like Khus, Cardamom, and Pan Rasna. Desi Murli is simply put the best moassel you can buy in the states, bar none. Go to hookah1.com and order some. Seriously. Drop what you're doing and order some now.

And don't worry about offending anyone. I try to be offensive as possible when trashing drippy, syruppy, dyed, kool-aid flavored crap that pretends to be moassel. Don't be like me and you'll do fine.
+1 to this! And he speaks the truth when he says he tries to be offensive as possible. I think Coyotero has a vendetta against anything thats not straight tobacco or DM, lol.

DM is the way to go. It takes a little longer to get because Kamal mixes it by hand, but well worth the wait. When you order from Hookah1, tell him Huskysibe, Honestpuck, and myself sent you. He usually treats you right when you do.
Favorite Hoses: 2 Large Nammor, Caravan, KM Rainbow, Ba Barkir
Old March 23rd, 2010, 08:36 AM
uglybiker
Quantum Bubblenautics,PhD

What Coyotero and CaptHowdy said and I'll add in Salloum Plain (which you can also get at hookah1.com). Also, ********** carries Nakhla Khan el Khalili. A little more hardcore version of Zaghloul.

Once you go black......
Old March 23rd, 2010, 08:53 AM
Huskysibe
Hookah Master

If you are tired of the candy then its a no brainer.....Desi Murli. Pick any flavor and you will get traditional spice with a touch of the flavor you chose underneath. No candy, no sickly sweet flavor. Salloum Plain is a little more hardcore.
Old March 23rd, 2010, 09:08 AM
Variable
Hookah Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to Variable

DM is OK to smoke in a plain Egyptian bowl right? I didn't think of ordering a fancier bowl from HJ when I placed my order... Gonna order some DM. I am a pipe smoker and it is good to know that more "traditional" tobac (at least from my perspective) is available out there.
Old March 23rd, 2010, 09:09 AM
CaptHowdy
Hookah Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Variable View Post
DM is OK to smoke in a plain Egyptian bowl right? I didn't think of ordering a fancier bowl from HJ when I placed my order... Gonna order some DM. I am a pipe smoker and it is good to know that more "traditional" tobac (at least from my perspective) is available out there.
Here you go: http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20680

But short answer yes it is fine.
Favorite Hoses: 2 Large Nammor, Caravan, KM Rainbow, Ba Barkir
Old March 23rd, 2010, 09:28 AM
ryon
Hookah Nut

Desi Murli, AF Soft Black, Salloum Plain, Nakhla Tumbac, any spice flavors like HH 7 Spice,
I'm not a traditionalist so I would listen to everyone else lol
Old March 23rd, 2010, 10:36 AM
oSPANNERo
Hookah Nut

Now you've done it Shanaku, went and started a "traditionalist" party! Next thing they are going to do is don their dishdasha, shemagh, and sandals then sit around in caravans in their back yards and dress up their significant others like harem girls or eunuchs (depending on the case). Good job!
36" Solid Al Fakher, Blue Razan
29" KM Trimetal, KM "Red Lion" Gilded Base, Crown Jewel Bowl, Red v3 Narbish, CH "Solar Flare" Tip
Old March 23rd, 2010, 12:09 PM
bigd1
Hookah Newbie

Go Desi Murli and you will never go back!!! DM rules
Old March 23rd, 2010, 12:26 PM
MAD_HATTER
Hookah Master

Quote:

+1 coyo.. great little write up
Old March 23rd, 2010, 12:47 PM
shanaku
Hookah Nut

Many thanks to all who replied.
I knew there just had to be the real deal out there somewhere.
I am definitely with the traditionalists on this one.
I am warming up my camel and my wife is getting on the harem costume as we speak.
Old March 23rd, 2010, 01:49 PM
SonOfGram
Hookah Aficionado

+1 to Coyotero, great post!

How-To Etch a Hookah Base: http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22782
How-To DIY E-Cigarette: http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33454
Old March 23rd, 2010, 02:49 PM
Coyotero
Hookah Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Variable View Post
Why fancy seeing you here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptHowdy View Post
+1 to this! And he speaks the truth when he says he tries to be offensive as possible. I think Coyotero has a vendetta against anything thats not straight tobacco or DM, lol.
Someone has to compensate for the recent lack of Hajo.

Also, I completely forgot to mention Salloum. Thanks Uglybiker.

I should add that when I say A.F. Soft black is slightly sweet... I mean it's sweet in the way Newcastle ale is sweet. That is to say, not really sweet at all, but a sort of natural tobacco sweetness.
Old March 23rd, 2010, 05:13 PM
shanaku
Hookah Nut

Since first posting this I have seen some vids that show these tobaccos and I see that some like the Zaghloul Nakhla seem to be very much in color and consistency like old school moist Cavendish is this an accurate notion? Many modern cavendish tobaccos are rather dry, but older cavendishes were more moist.
Old March 23rd, 2010, 05:40 PM
Coyotero
Hookah Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanaku View Post
Since first posting this I have seen some vids that show these tobaccos and I see that some like the Zaghloul Nakhla seem to be very much in color and consistency like old school moist Cavendish is this an accurate notion? Many modern cavendish tobaccos are rather dry, but older cavendishes were more moist.
I would say that Zaghloul reminds more of a latakia, it's got a smoky intensity to it.

For some reason, zaghloul is usually very dry. Your best bet is to reconstitute before smoking with molasses and glycerine. Makes it much smoother.

In the homade hookah stuff section Hajo Flettner posted a few recipes for making moassel out of pipe tobaccos. Works damn well.
Old March 23rd, 2010, 07:23 PM
CypherEnigma
Hookah Pro

Quote:
For some reason, zaghloul is usually very dry. Your best bet is to reconstitute before smoking with molasses and glycerine. Makes it much smoother.

In the homade hookah stuff section Hajo Flettner posted a few recipes for making moassel out of pipe tobaccos. Works damn well.
Hajo's homemade moassel recipes in this thread(http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=499) and heres another useful guide on different molasses(http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10088) these are good if you're feeling a bit more intrepid.

36" Al Falkher Solid - 36" KM Copper Heart Two Hose - 22" Temsah Mini-Wheat(a.k.a. Golden Nugget)
Old March 23rd, 2010, 07:56 PM
shanaku
Hookah Nut

"I would say that Zaghloul reminds more of a latakia, it's got a smoky intensity to it."

I appreciate this input, I have been a tobacconist for many years and that kind of comparison really helps me understand. I appreciate your advice on reconstitution of the Zaghloul Nakhla. I am sensitive to glycerin so it is good to know this tobacco is lower in it. Can you suggest any others that are pretty dry? I am about to make an order based in all this fine advice you guys have given me. Some DM, some Zaghloul Nakhla and others.

MANY thanks
Will
Old March 23rd, 2010, 08:19 PM
BIGPOPPA
I call it hypocritical BS

If you have a sensitivity to glycerin, be sure to let Kamal know at Hookah1 when you place your DM order. He makes it fresh and it would be wise to let him know about your glycerin sensitivity.
Old March 23rd, 2010, 11:53 PM
jvminner
Hookah Nut

Spice flavours are a great way to get good tobacco thats not crap. Nakhla Cardamom (which I just tried yesterday for the first time) is and excellent flavour without the candy or other crap. Florals are also good, some roses and jasmine.

But for the traditionals, DM all the way.
Old March 24th, 2010, 01:25 AM
Coyotero
Hookah Guru

You also might want to give Tombac a try. That's a whole different animal.
Old March 24th, 2010, 03:58 AM
shanaku
Hookah Nut

Quote:
You also might want to give Tombac a try. That's a whole different animal.
I ordered some Asfahana Tombac for experimentation prior to joining Hookapro, I hope to see it in a day or so.
Any recommendations on how to handle it?
Old March 24th, 2010, 04:20 AM
Coyotero
Hookah Guru

It needs to be soaked prior to use. Soak it just until it's soft for maximum flavor/nicotine. Soak it longer for less. It is a very mild flue-cured virginia leaf, so don't expect a huge party in your mouth, still, it's nice for a mellow sit-down session.

Once it's soaked to your liking, cut a circular plug the size of your bowl, and throw it in. Punch several holes in it with an awl or icepick, then throw some red-hot coals directly on top and smoke away. Knock the coals off every so often to remove the ashes.

Alternatively, you can wrap the leaves around the top of the stem (Without a bowl present) kind of like a giant cigar.

Also, tombac makes an excellent mild base for making your own moassel.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook