Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

2 questions for a new guy.

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old March 31st, 2010, 07:35 PM
Boggler0
Hookah Newbie

Default 2 questions for a new guy.

Been smoking hookah for a year, had my own for 4 months. Tryin to upgrade the bowl and get out of the whole aluminum foil mess. I just have a standard setup and standard bowl. I smoke hypnosis and starbuzz.

For Q1, any leads as to the best bowl to get that won't break me financially? I heard funnel bowls worked amazing, especially when there is a scalli mod in place, so i dont go wasting 40-50 grams of tobacco, especially when i mostly smoke by myself or with one other person.

Q2, after my research, I decided on a glass screen to get out of the aluminum foil deal. I hate having to poke holes in the damn thing all the time and still get ash dropping into the tobacco. I found the only place that sells them. MNHookahs. I ordered a 'small chinese funnel bowl' that was basically their representation of the Tangiers phunnel, a scalli mod to go with, and a glass screen. This glass screen idea sounded absolutely amazing because the coals dont really heat up the tobacco; the glass does, as it only has one hole- in the center.

Anyways, before I ordered I did some research and found that MNHookah was an amazing and reliable vendor and was geeked. Ordered. Waited a week. Looked online again, looked at the dates of those reviews, looked at NEW reviews [most recent i've seen is late 2009], and they seem to be extremely unreliable. I got charged 35 bucks for my purchase and I've sent them loads of e-mails. No response, no package, no confirmation that anything has been sihpped. My order status is still 'processing'..... load of balls.

ANYWAYS, to combat this I am looking for another place to get a glass screen, or a screen with a similar idea, or a screen that works just as well.

Thanks guys!
Old March 31st, 2010, 08:04 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Default Re: 2 questions for a new guy.

honestly most people around dont use screens, they dont seem to work as well or seem to have other issues. ********** has metal screens and he is a very reliable vendor, in the very rare order error john fixes it very very fast.

as to a good bowl i prefer the vortex to everything so far
-matt
Old March 31st, 2010, 08:14 PM
Boggler0
Hookah Newbie

I have heard amazing things about the vortex too. Will that smoke with like 10-15g of tobacco? I know that some of the larger funnel bowls had issues when small amounts of tobacco was to be smoked, and i know the two bowls are similar, with the vortex having holes on the 'side' of the inside... thing? Where the funnel bowl has a big hole on top.

Also, as far as screens go, I'm aware of the metal screen idea, but i just loved the glass idea. If you hadn't looked into it, it is just a glass plate with a hole in the center, raised so it slopes down and out towards the edges. Coals are placed around the hole, but not on top of. No air is pulled through the coal, and the coal has no holes below it, which makes it so there is never a bit of coal pulled into the bowl.

Also, I am using 3 kings coals. I've looked all over the place at coal reviews but none of them really say the same thing so i'm not entirely sure where they stand.
Old March 31st, 2010, 08:24 PM
Thecheezanator
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to Thecheezanator Send a message via MSN to Thecheezanator Send a message via Yahoo to Thecheezanator

The coals you are using are decent.

As for bowls, I personally only use my vortex. But lots of people like small funnels and **********'s new alien funnel.

Screens, I have only seen the metal screen, and i dont think they are a good idea. The holes are way too big. I'd stick to foil, if I were you.
Old March 31st, 2010, 08:32 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boggler0 View Post
I have heard amazing things about the vortex too. Will that smoke with like 10-15g of tobacco? I know that some of the larger funnel bowls had issues when small amounts of tobacco was to be smoked, and i know the two bowls are similar, with the vortex having holes on the 'side' of the inside... thing? Where the funnel bowl has a big hole on top.

Also, as far as screens go, I'm aware of the metal screen idea, but i just loved the glass idea. If you hadn't looked into it, it is just a glass plate with a hole in the center, raised so it slopes down and out towards the edges. Coals are placed around the hole, but not on top of. No air is pulled through the coal, and the coal has no holes below it, which makes it so there is never a bit of coal pulled into the bowl.

Also, I am using 3 kings coals. I've looked all over the place at coal reviews but none of them really say the same thing so i'm not entirely sure where they stand.
i never underpack stuff, the vortex probably realistically uses 10 grams of nakhla per smoke give or take.

i have seen the glass screens but IMHO its a waste and not a good material for it, glass has a very poor conductivity you can have something 1800*f and 1 inch away have it only 1000*, hell with pyrex and other high temp glasses you can have 3 inches between room temp and 2000*f. what does it mean for hookah, well the heat from the coals will take a lot longer of a time to penetrate the glass and may not dissipate over the glass screen. if you want to see how poorly glass conducts heat watch some one blow glass and you will see that the back of the piece, even a small cup, will not move while the front of it will be floppy and moving and the back will not gain the heat before the front can cool off and stiffen up just in the air.

-matt
Old March 31st, 2010, 08:38 PM
Boggler0
Hookah Newbie

Okay, I get it, I get it. haha.

Stick with the foil. I made a puncher for it recently anyways.

And as far as the alien bowl or whatever, It seems just like a super shallow tangiers funnel. But for 18 bucks and a vortex at 10, I think I'll go for the vortex.

Also, I've recently been getting some headaches when I smoke, research led me to a whole boatload of reasons. So assuming that I've been smoking for a little while, not a huge amount of time, I use washed tobacco like starbuzz and hypnosis [made by starbuzz]. Is that from the coals? The foil? Or the nicotine even after I should be used to it by now and I'm using the washed tobacco.

Thanks for the help, guys.

Last edited by Boggler0; March 31st, 2010 at 08:50 PM.
Old March 31st, 2010, 08:54 PM
Thecheezanator
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to Thecheezanator Send a message via MSN to Thecheezanator Send a message via Yahoo to Thecheezanator

Quote:
Also, I've recently been getting some headaches when I smoke, research led me to a whole boatload of reasons. So assuming that I've been smoking for a little while, not a huge amount of time, I use washed tobacco like starbuzz and hypnosis [made by starbuzz]. Is that from the coals? The foil? Or the nicotine even after I should be used to it by now and I'm using the washed tobacco.

Don't hoover it. Take small breaks between hits. Starbuzz wont give you a buzz, so the only reason you are getting headaches, in my opinion, is from chaining it.
Old March 31st, 2010, 08:56 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

ya honestly after using a few egyptians, mod, small phunnel, and vortex, i found the vortex to be the best for everything including tangiers, the phunnel with a mod is ok, i havent tried the new mini phunnels but the idea is good and frankly even a small tangiers i feel wastes a lot of tobacco.

for holes i use a tooth pick (not the biggest holes i can make with it though) and do rings of 16,12,8 1(the 1 only on egyptians and on the phunnel and vortex i keep them more to the out side. eric of tangiers or maybe hookah john (cant remember who) smoked a phunnel bowl with only holes on half of it and no holes on the other side and the only thing it did was prevent ash on the side w/o holes. honestly ash on the tobacco is not an issue and is totally normal

as to the headaches, you might be chaining too much, might not be drinking/eating enough, might be getting co2, might just not agree with some of the stuff in the tobaccos you are smoking. i would try some nats and see if that helps and if your not drinking much do that and maybe lighten up on how fast you smoke

hope my glass rant didnt come across as prickish in any way, i just am majoring in craft/material studies (BFA) and concentrating in glass blowing and metalsmithing so i am kinda a materials nerd
-matt
Old March 31st, 2010, 09:04 PM
Boggler0
Hookah Newbie

Haha, you did a little, I thought I pissed you off. I just explained what I had read in a few descriptions is all. I saw them getting amazing reviews somewhere, i think hookahforum.com... maybe? Oh well.

As far as holes go, I got it down. I was quick before, but now I made a poker. I got some thin 'linoleum nails' and [ with much pain, time, frustration, and effort], got them through two layers of cardboard in a [kind of] circle. They dont have a great pattern, but they are medium sized holes, and there is a decent number nicely spread out. Just place the disk on top, smack it down with my hand, same pattern every time, and it takes about 3 seconds to do. Haha.

Thanks guys!
Just signed up to ask these questions, but now that I'm here, might as well stick around.
Old March 31st, 2010, 09:11 PM
Thecheezanator
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Just signed up to ask these questions, but now that I'm here, might as well stick around.
I highly suggest sticking around. You learn a lot here and the people are so nice. I learned how to set up my hookah from watching SamB's how-to video, then saw the site and now I'm on it everyday. Lol.
Old March 31st, 2010, 09:19 PM
hookahgirl613
Hookah Newbie

Phunnel or vortex, with foil, most people do it this way for one main reason.....

This is the way that works. Go figure
Old April 1st, 2010, 01:30 AM
vinit2cool
Hookah Newbie

I don't think a screen will work on a phunnel bowl...and if you got a small chinese i reccomend cancelling and getting the new alien bowl from john
Old April 1st, 2010, 02:04 AM
oSPANNERo
Hookah Nut

I have a glass MNH phunnel w/ scali mod, Vortex, and Crown Jewel as well as both metal and glass screens.

My Experiences are:

Glass Phunnel w/ scali: Looks great but was expensive. I have had troubles getting it to smoke right with AF and SB. All in all, I probably would not get it again.

Vortex: Functional and fairly cheap. Smoked great for me right from the get go and really impressed my friends over the Mod/Egyptian. This is my "go to" bowl for sure!

Crown Jewel: Crown Hookahs' mashup of the vortex and and phunnel. Looks awesome and smokes great. It was expensive comparitively and it a little difficult to clean under the rim of the spire. (If you ever look at a picture you will see what I mean.) This is the bowl I reach for when I want to have a long session and I am not being lazy.

Metal Screen: I smoked with this accessory for *MONTHS* because it was easy setup. No PITA poking holes or finding tinfoil. But just the other day I ended up packing some shisha I had already smoked once into a bowl and used tinfoil because my screen was in use on another hookah. Let me put it this way... I threw out the screen after that session. I am not saying they arn't good but in comparison Tinfoil works much better!

Glass Screen: Got one of these with my MNH phunnel. The biggest problem I have is the fact that the screen does not "sit" well on the bowl. It slips around and has a generally "unsafe" feeling to it. But, it does work. It seems to distribute the heat well and keeps the ash out of the bowl. But mine is definatley not designed to be used with a bowl that pulls down the middle like the Phunnel (w/out scali) or Crown Jewel or even vortex.

Hope this helps with the questions. And good luck with MNH, I was one of the people who bought from them after the new year. It took a while but made good in the end.

Oh... and word on the street says Crown Hookahs will be producing glass screens and wind covers one of these days. I think they are just waiting on a particular kind of glass to come into stock before they get pushed out.
36" Solid Al Fakher, Blue Razan
29" KM Trimetal, KM "Red Lion" Gilded Base, Crown Jewel Bowl, Red v3 Narbish, CH "Solar Flare" Tip

Last edited by oSPANNERo; April 1st, 2010 at 02:13 AM.
Old April 1st, 2010, 02:10 AM
NYHookahKing
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Okay, I get it, I get it. haha.

Stick with the foil. I made a puncher for it recently anyways.

And as far as the alien bowl or whatever, It seems just like a super shallow tangiers funnel. But for 18 bucks and a vortex at 10, I think I'll go for the vortex.

Always make sure that your coals are completely heated up, burning redish/orange-ish color and let it sit on your bowl for a few moments before you start puffing away. I just recently bought my first box of Coco Nara's and I will never go back to quick lights. They're amazing. I'm eagerly waiting to try out a vortex bowl as well, had a phunnel and wasn't a big fan of it.
Old April 1st, 2010, 02:10 AM
shanaku
Hookah Nut

I get a head ache if I don't rest. I give it two or three pulls, purge the hookah and let it camp for a little bit. Also don't write off the many people who suggest staying hydrated.
It is very important.

WE ARE THE FEW - THE PROUD - THE DARK SIDE!
WE ARE THE BLACK LEAF BROTHERHOOD
Old April 1st, 2010, 02:19 AM
oSPANNERo
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanaku View Post
I get a head ache if I don't rest. I give it two or three pulls, purge the hookah and let it camp for a little bit. Also don't write off the many people who suggest staying hydrated.
It is very important.
Purge every time? Interesting. I use a similar strategy but we don't purge nearly that often. In fact I don't purge unless my smoke tastes like "burning".
29" KM Trimetal, KM "Red Lion" Gilded Base, Crown Jewel Bowl, Red v3 Narbish, CH "Solar Flare" Tip
Old April 1st, 2010, 02:20 AM
Memories
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanaku View Post
It is very important.
QFT, always try to have something to snack on and drink (or combine the two.. smoothie!) but yeah.. Headaches are usually the result of oversmoking, ie lack of oxygen, or not having something on your stomach.
Old April 1st, 2010, 12:04 PM
Boggler0
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by oSPANNERo View Post

Glass Screen: Got one of these with my MNH phunnel. The biggest problem I have is the fact that the screen does not "sit" well on the bowl. It slips around and has a generally "unsafe" feeling to it. But, it does work. It seems to distribute the heat well and keeps the ash out of the bowl. But mine is definatley not designed to be used with a bowl that pulls down the middle like the Phunnel (w/out scali) or Crown Jewel or even vortex.

Hope this helps with the questions. And good luck with MNH, I was one of the people who bought from them after the new year. It took a while but made good in the end.

Well, if i do decide to wait for the MNH stuff to come through [which i probably wont, i already filed a dispute with my CCcomp last night, gonna just try to force cancel that charge] then i had planned on making a 'lip' on the glass screen with some epoxy putty [like that clay-looking stuff the late great billy mays advertised.] To prevent slippage. And I would be using it with a scalli mod anyways.

Thanks for all the feedback guys, it's nice to know any question can be answered by someone with experience here.
Old April 1st, 2010, 12:21 PM
oSPANNERo
Hookah Nut

Watch out on the putty... the glass does get fairly hot and we don't want you getting some form of poisoning!
Old April 1st, 2010, 12:27 PM
Boggler0
Hookah Newbie

Nah, its a ceramic based thing. Anyways it would be on the outside edge, just to hang down over the outside of the bowls edges to prevent slippage and the ever daunting threat of a shatter. There would be no air pulling through it, and the heat generated by the coals wouldn't be nearly enough to do anything to the putty stuff. And in reality its not really a putty, I just can't think of the best way to describe it. Oh well.

Anyways, chances are i'm going to be picking up a vortex or an alien instead anyways, once i cancel this order.

Can anyone compare these two and give some advice as to which one to get? Keeping in mind I'm a college student with little cash, and the fact that the vortex is half the price.
Old April 1st, 2010, 12:37 PM
Rob416
Hookah Guru

Send a message via AIM to Rob416

I personally suggest Foil. i used a metal screen before and IMO, you have better control of heat management and airflow with foil.

as for a bowl i usually use a normal Egyptian bowl for everything, but i also use a phunnel. i hear outstanding things about the vortex but never got around to getting it.

Good luck with what you decide to do. Welcome to the Forum, and also imo try some new Shisha. Hypnosis I Crap.. =)
Old April 1st, 2010, 12:46 PM
Boggler0
Hookah Newbie

Haha. I'm aware Hyp is on the low end of things, However, I like to have a new flavor/mix every week and at the local shops, the only thing that comes in 50g boxes is hyp. I'll probably pick up some starbuzz within the next couple of weeks, once i get this bowl situation taken care of.
But hell, i can still get some great mixes out of hyp, cant find any tobacco that i can make my tropical peach/coconut mix for less than 6 bucks
Old April 1st, 2010, 01:09 PM
oSPANNERo
Hookah Nut

Erm... the whole Alien thing is a hot debate right now so I am not going to touch that with a 10 foot pole since I have never smoked out of one.

I will say that the Vortex is awesome and easy from personal experience. I would suggest getting that first and maybe a Alien later on... but that is just my opinion.
Old April 1st, 2010, 01:45 PM
Boggler0
Hookah Newbie

I think that sounds like a good idea. Vortex basically sounds like a deep funnel with a sort of built in mod, except with the holes a little higher. Alien sounds just like a super shallow funnel.

So i'll run with the price idea and pick up a vortex. Anything is better than the dirt cheap cracked bowl I'm working with now i guess.

However, if anyone has had experience with both, I am totally open for some feedback!

Thanks guys
Old April 1st, 2010, 02:34 PM
shanaku
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memories View Post
QFT, always try to have something to snack on and drink (or combine the two.. smoothie!) but yeah.. Headaches are usually the result of oversmoking, ie lack of oxygen, or not having something on your stomach.
+1 on that for sure

WE ARE THE FEW - THE PROUD - THE DARK SIDE!
WE ARE THE BLACK LEAF BROTHERHOOD
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook