Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Pissed! Artist Base is Cracked!

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old April 4th, 2010, 05:46 PM
HookahKev
Hookah Pro

Default Pissed! Artist Base is Cracked!

Well I've had my new KM Artist Americana for a week or two now. Looked fine, no major chips or dents, smoked out of it and worked like a charm.

I am 99% sure there was no crack in the base when it got shipped and now filling up my base to smoke a bowl of Code 69 i see dips coming from the bottom of the base. I look it over and find that there is a very big crack, about 10+ inches total along the side and then goes down to the bottom rim of it!

Sorry for the anger post but had to let it out

Has anyone else had a prob with cracking bases. I mean could it have been a weak base or something, not thick enough. I bought this KM cause i thought they were a good product. My guess is that i just had some bad luck.
Old April 4th, 2010, 05:48 PM
Allan
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to Allan
Default Re: Pissed! Artist Base is Cracked!

i have heard tthat,if there was a little crack or air bubble in it,if you do the ice base,the change in temp will cause this to happen
Old April 4th, 2010, 05:55 PM
jvminner
Hookah Nut

If you haven't had it long contact the vendor, most will be willing to replace it for free. And if not they'll probably give a discount on a new one.
Old April 4th, 2010, 06:01 PM
HookahKev
Hookah Pro

thanks for the advise guys. yea iv had it a week or two. didnt see any crack or leaks so i had been smoking out of it few times and noticed the crack when i filled it again.

there are some air bubbles that i can see and yes i tend to put ice in my base..... so should i not do this anymore? cause i like doing that.

my generic 3 hose i always used to put ice in and never had a prob.
Old April 4th, 2010, 06:21 PM
photolinger
Arabian Sensation

Send a message via AIM to photolinger Send a message via MSN to photolinger Send a message via Yahoo to photolinger Send a message via Skype™ to photolinger

SS glass is pretty thick if you want to consider that look
Old April 4th, 2010, 06:34 PM
HookahKev
Hookah Pro

yeah its def a different look and infact i purchased a hookah from them on saturday i think.... so needless to say when that comes i have something to smoke out of, but i really liked the KM i bought. Just ordered the other one since they had a good deal going and could always use both for when i have parties.
Old April 4th, 2010, 06:49 PM
ariberns
Hookah Master

It's not the ice that causes cracks, it's rapid temperature change. Don't wash your base in warm water and then fill with ice.
What you should do is slowly add cold water to a room temp base then add ice
Old April 4th, 2010, 06:51 PM
I<3JOHNS_WIFE
Hookah Newbie

did you leave it out in cold weather after smoking??
if there is water left in the base itll freeze and crash
my buddy has done that before.
sorry to hear tho that really sucks
Old April 4th, 2010, 07:01 PM
HookahKev
Hookah Pro

i smoked out of it last night and it was late so i did leave the water in the base overnight. i have a "smoking room" in the basement so its not like it was that cold down there, 55-60

ariberns: ya i did just pour water into the base but didnt think the base was that warm, the water was as cold as it can be from the tap tho. i will remember to be more carefull with that tho, for sure!
Old April 4th, 2010, 07:58 PM
Drewzi
Hookah Pro

Thats rough man i'm sorry to hear that, this sounds like the base was subjected to a quick temperature change that can easily compromise the glass.
Old April 4th, 2010, 08:21 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

welcome to "quality" egyptian glass, there are a lot of threads about how bad some of it is, including one i started with explinations of what they did wrong to make the glass have the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariberns View Post
It's not the ice that causes cracks, it's rapid temperature change. Don't wash your base in warm water and then fill with ice.
even half assed quality glass should not crack from 100*f temp change at that low of a temp, if you can hold it in your hand then it shouldnt be enough of a change unless there was unrelieved stress in it, i.e. idiots making it
-matt
Old April 4th, 2010, 08:42 PM
Allan
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to Allan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariberns View Post
+1

thats what i was goona add
Old April 4th, 2010, 08:46 PM
CypherEnigma
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattathayde View Post
welcome to "quality" egyptian glass, there are a lot of threads about how bad some of it is, including one i started with explinations of what they did wrong to make the glass have the issue.

even half assed quality glass should not crack from 100*f temp change at that low of a temp, if you can hold it in your hand then it shouldnt be enough of a change unless there was unrelieved stress in it, i.e. idiots making it
-matt
Mmhmm! Seriously, when you consider the temperatures that glass is worked at, even 150 degrees isn't going to be enough to crack a well annealed and blown glass vase. But given the quantities that these products are made in to meet the demand, the quality plummets and what you're left with is this. Glass doesn't anneal properly or any one of the other plethora of problems that come with the mass production of this scale and you're left with a cracked base. My condolences and I hope your next base isn't as defective.

36" Al Falkher Solid - 36" KM Copper Heart Two Hose - 22" Temsah Mini-Wheat(a.k.a. Golden Nugget)
Old April 4th, 2010, 08:52 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CypherEnigma View Post
Mmhmm! Seriously, when you consider the temperatures that glass is worked at, even 150 degrees isn't going to be enough to crack a well annealed and blown glass vase. But given the quantities that these products are made in to meet the demand, the quality plummets and what you're left with is this. Glass doesn't anneal properly or any one of the other plethora of problems that come with the mass production of this scale and you're left with a cracked base. My condolences and I hope your next base isn't as defective.
150 might actually, we dont crack our annealers until they are under 200*f and the shop is usually between 80*f-120*f so there is not a huge shock, and even then we usually dont open it all the way until its in the lower 100s.

when glass is worked you always keep it above the stress point (depending on the glass it is between the upper 700s and upper 800s for a soda lime furnace glass) and as long as the piece is kept above the annealing temp (910-960 depending on the exact soda lime furnace glass) you will have a hard time shocking it enough to crack it and only be able to crack it if it is relatively cold (below 1000-1200) just by thermal shock (physical shock with a bit of chilling will allow you to break things easily

-matt
Old April 4th, 2010, 09:07 PM
Rob416
Hookah Guru

Send a message via AIM to Rob416

wow... that sucks... your handling it fine though, if i was your i would be throwing shit.. but now look at it this way you can look for something better
Old April 4th, 2010, 09:38 PM
HookahKev
Hookah Pro

yeah i contacted the vendor and they will ship out a new one if i pay for shipping so i bought some tangiers clove, never tried this brand so its something new to me. hope this one will hold up and if not then yes ill def be f***ing s*** up! lol now just the long wait from CA to MA
Old April 5th, 2010, 12:03 AM
hookahman1988
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to hookahman1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by photolinger View Post
SS glass is pretty thick if you want to consider that look
QFT, One thing SSC does well is their vases, bought 2 and I'm looking to replace the rest of mine with their vases over time.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook