Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Which bowl do I buy?

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old April 5th, 2010, 11:18 PM
smokin-da-beast
Hookah Newbie

Default Which bowl do I buy?

Hey everyone I just have a quick question. I am new to the forum, but not hookah. In fact this is my first post, so bear with me. I am looking at buying a bowl and correct me if I am wrong but, found vortex and tangiers phunnel make the nicest bowls. I am just wondering which is better and what the difference is?

Thanks
Old April 5th, 2010, 11:25 PM
JediSpam
Hookah Aficionado

Default Re: Which bowl do I buy?

Go with vortex it's failproof
Old April 5th, 2010, 11:27 PM
alanpeterson68
Hookah Aficionado

You will get all different kinds of answers! Its really different strokes for different folks. I personally own/use/love the Vortex. I just recently used the Alien Mini Phunnel and it was pretty awesome. Its whatever floats your boat dude.
Old April 5th, 2010, 11:27 PM
Boggler0
Hookah Newbie

From my research... Tangiers phunnel and vortex are the same thing EXCEPT... the phunnel has one big hole on the top of the spire, and the vortex has little ones on the side of it.

this basically makes it so you can't really underpack a phunnel without a scalli mod. A scalli mod is more or less something that you can put in it to redirect the airflow through the tobacco, even if the level of the tobacco is relatively low compared to the top of the bowl.

Also, i found more people swear by the vortex than the phunnel. I just received an e-mail about my vortex that was just shipped. I'm geeked to use it.
Old April 5th, 2010, 11:28 PM
smokey void
Hookah Pro

in a thread i posted recently asking about the same question u did, the overwhelming vote was for the vortex, and if you go to urbanhookah.com and use discount code hp15off you can get a discount on your order for being a hookahpro member, thats what i did any way, btw welcome to hookahpro, i hope you like it here
Old April 6th, 2010, 02:38 AM
Drewzi
Hookah Pro

You also have to remember that depending on what size phunnel you buy. A medium tangiers with hold around 40g of tobacco and can last for a long time well over 2 hours with proper heat management. A vortex is great for a single session that isn't going to take up a lot of your time and possibly waste a lot of shisha, phunnels don't do well when they are under packed. It really depends on what kind of sessions you are looking for.
Old April 6th, 2010, 02:46 AM
oSPANNERo
Hookah Nut

Yeppers... all preference. My pref is Vortex cause its easy to clean and fairly idiot proof (I should know)
36" Solid Al Fakher, Blue Razan
29" KM Trimetal, KM "Red Lion" Gilded Base, Crown Jewel Bowl, Red v3 Narbish, CH "Solar Flare" Tip
Old April 6th, 2010, 05:54 AM
EssamHelmy
Hookah Nut

I have the phunnel bowl, the vortex, the genie vortex, and the Egyptian bowl and for me the Vortex bowl is the winner for its ease of use/setup and smoke quality. I can make each bowl smoke like heaven but its just a matter of which one you want to work with, in my case its been the vortex.
Old April 6th, 2010, 07:30 AM
CaptHowdy
Hookah Enthusiast

Vortex is one of the best and easiest out there. Besides the vortex, I like to use Egyptian and Mod bowls. I say if you have these 3 bowls you're set.
Favorite Hoses: 2 Large Nammor, Caravan, KM Rainbow, Ba Barkir
Old April 6th, 2010, 07:33 AM
Blaat
Hookah Pro

I got a vortex and a normal one, I don't see any difference between them.. But it's a small vortex, and I only got Nakhla.
Maybe vortex is better for more wet brands
Old April 6th, 2010, 07:52 AM
GalaxyGreyFA1
Hookah Nut

I gota vortex first and loved it for a few weeks till i decided to get a funnel to try. After i tried a funnel bowl i gave my vortex bowl away to a friend lol. I like the funnel bowls a bit more than the vortex bowl.
Old April 6th, 2010, 08:02 AM
ariberns
Hookah Master

The phunnel and vortex are both excellent bowls.(so you cant make a wrong decision as long as you get one of them)

they both out perform everything else. here is what you should consider between the two.

the vortex is simple to use, most people figure it out quickly and there is no real trick to getting it to smoke right. also if you put less tobacco in it, it still works well.

the phunnel will work with less tobacco, but not as well, it requires a certain pack depending on the tobacco. so your better off not using less tobacco. if you heat manage a phunnel and pack it correctly it will out perform the vortex, but the learning curve is not as good as the vortex. However once you master the phunnel you will love it.

Now if your really a hookah enthusiast, go ahead and get both. Then when this thread pops up (phunnel vs. vortex threads pop up about once a week), you'll be able to talk about your experience with both bowls.
Old April 6th, 2010, 09:35 AM
thomas_j_smith
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to thomas_j_smith Send a message via Yahoo to thomas_j_smith

I love both of them! All great info... Try them both!
Old April 6th, 2010, 09:45 AM
zeoalex
Hookah Nut

i just got a vortex (to use mainly with DM) and with experience with both bowls, i can say that they're both awesome, i think they're both good for different things, i like the phunnel for tangiers tobacco, and the vortex for most everything else honestly
Old April 6th, 2010, 09:54 AM
texashookah91
Hookah Nut

my only complaint with the vortex is cleaning the holes without breaking the spire off.
Old April 6th, 2010, 09:58 AM
CaptHowdy
Hookah Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by texashookah91 View Post
my only complaint with the vortex is cleaning the holes without breaking the spire off.
Cleaning the holes? How do you get tobacco stuck in there? I always flip it upside down and let the water run through.
Favorite Hoses: 2 Large Nammor, Caravan, KM Rainbow, Ba Barkir
Old April 6th, 2010, 10:02 AM
texashookah91
Hookah Nut

I don't know but my friend has the same problem. Black charred stuff will clog up the holes and you have to use a tooth pick to break it up.
Old April 6th, 2010, 10:13 AM
hookahman1988
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to hookahman1988

They both work the same, considering small funnels aren't easy to find right now I'd go with the vortex, at the moment. I've used both and like both. The Vortex makes for a more restrictive pull given it's hole design. I still think the funnel is easier to clean despite what others say, its a more simplistic design. I guess if I had to pick a side I still prefer the funnel, I like the one big hole versus four small ones, I feel I can clean it better. Whatever one you decide to get now, buy the other one later compare for yourself and see which you like best, form your own opinion of each. Thats the best way to do things and if you do buy a funnel, get a Tangiers and not a generic knockoff, there is a difference.
Old April 6th, 2010, 10:18 AM
Laimis
Hookah Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to Laimis

For ur first bowl go with vortex, master it and then het funnel
Old April 6th, 2010, 10:25 AM
kill4fun
Hookah Newbie

well, as you can see, phunnel seems to perform better for long sessions, vortex too but it looses for a little bit when you want a long session. Now if you want to smoke a short session, than the vortex is the best one, because you don't need to fill it up with shisha.

But personally, I love my mya's bowls, I always prefer to them instead of my phunnel, which is useful just when there's a lot of people in my house

Once I smoked alone with a full phunnel... I had the worst day after... with a mega-headache and even my lungs did ache, but it was al waha.. maybe that was one of the reason haha
But, it lasted for 2h40, so if you want to smoke with your friends its a nice option, but alone... I don't think so haha
Old April 6th, 2010, 10:39 AM
zeoalex
Hookah Nut

well all the "how to pack" videos i've seen said not to pack past the holes on the vortex, so i never do?
Old April 6th, 2010, 12:43 PM
kill4fun
Hookah Newbie

i'd suggest you to make a test, then you cant go wrong
after all... everyone has a particular opinion, so maybe what works for one, won't be a good deal for you!
Old April 6th, 2010, 12:45 PM
Hookah Hookah
Hookah Newbie

I like the Vortex Bowl. I ordered the Phunnel and when i used it the juice from the shisha still drips down into the stem but with the vortex it doesn't. I have never had a problem with the holes being clogged i just run hot water through it after every session and it is really big so it is perfect for long sessions
Old April 6th, 2010, 12:50 PM
photolinger
Arabian Sensation

Send a message via AIM to photolinger Send a message via MSN to photolinger Send a message via Yahoo to photolinger Send a message via Skype™ to photolinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookah Hookah View Post
I like the Vortex Bowl. I ordered the Phunnel and when i used it the juice from the shisha still drips down into the stem but with the vortex it doesn't. I have never had a problem with the holes being clogged i just run hot water through it after every session and it is really big so it is perfect for long sessions
now how do you get that to happen? (the juice dripping on a funnel)

"blu mist rulz dawg an that stuff ain't like it an if youz don't agree you bez a shithead yo" - Hajo Flettner
Old April 6th, 2010, 01:17 PM
Memories
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptHowdy View Post
Vortex is one of the best and easiest out there. Besides the vortex, I like to use Egyptian and Mod bowls. I say if you have these 3 bowls you're set.
These are the three bowls i use as well. i would recommend that if you order online, pick up a couple extra Egyptian and Mod bowls (or if you can afford it, extra vortex) because no matter how well you take care of your bowls, something may come up and break them.
Side note, Capt have you by chance tried the unglazed mod? i am tempted to get a couple to put my favorite flavors in.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook