Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Alienation and Smoking

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old April 15th, 2010, 01:31 AM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Default Alienation and Smoking

I took time out recently to checkout stuff on another forum I haven't viewed in seemly for ever and all I discovered that I am alienated from most American hookah types in a dramatic way. Basically what brought this on is that as was scrolling through the reviews I saw a couple of dozen reviews of Epic which is an abysmal, tasteless, glycerin soaked nightmare and found that the vast majority of the reviews went from mildly positive to wildly enthusiastic. Apparently stuff that tastes like cheap fruit candy of some sort is seen as the holy grail of what they think is "shisha". Digging around in the rest of the reviews and the forum in general it seems that tobacco that tastes exactly like Jolly Rancher candy or some energy drink is seen as a brilliant example of what "shisha" is all about. It seems that most smokers view tobacco solely in terms of crappy cigarettes and something that has no place in hookahs.

Of course I am used to realizing that I don't "fit" with the lamestream fashions of passes for "the West" but realizing that mindless hipsters basically dominate a hobby I dearly love to such an extent has me taken aback.

Still, the world being bound in what can best be described as the Kali-Yuga never ceases to disturb me. Recently it came to my attention that the mass "ethnic cleansing" of Palestinians from East Jerusalem is underway and no one gives damn about anything other then attacking Iran. I suppose that since Europeans facing genocide in Mozambique and Rhodesia never seemed to upset anyone I guess it seems obvious that blathering about "we are the world" and other PC banalities defining how the former West views existence no hypocrisy is too crass to be fashionable.

Yet why should this surprise me? Flash mobs rampaging like zombies when a text message pops up leading to mayhem while the "disadvantaged youths" are never held responsible for anyting and "the system" is blamed for not doing enough to make cretins feel "esteemed and empowered". Like wise, I am lectured by morbidly obese slugs that guzzle a case a day about the evils of smoking and the need to ban my favorite leaf in the name of public good. Mean while supposed "Anarchists" openly discuss violence against insipid tea party types while hollering about freedom of speech and smashing up fast food joints. Equally disturbingly are inhuman mobs of college hipsters finding courage behind rioting mobs and bandanas as they savagely beat anyone deemed a "racist" by orthodox Trotskyites. These types belching miasma about human dignity and people power in while wearing Che tees view ebonic babble as English and talk about how "da hood’s got soul" yet drives off in late model Volvos to his suburban dwelling owned by his yuppie parents. It’s like the Dead Kennedy’s "Holiday in Cambodia" is being played out everyday.

Sitting back I see the world spiraling towards a spiritual (and more often a physical) favela where the breads and circuses of old are replaced by the Howard Stern Show, rap, Lady Gaga, junk food and Star Buzz or even Epic. Puffing away on some extremely strong Turkmen jurak I conclude that the masses of twitter flash mobbers and vapid pop culture consumers are as too free thinking persons as SB/Epic is to Shooting Star.

Last edited by Hajo Flettner; April 15th, 2010 at 01:36 AM.
Old April 15th, 2010, 01:49 AM
twoapplesplease
Hookah Guru

Default Re: Alienation and Smoking

Gonna pack up some Khan el khalili and ponder awhile the meaning of it all
Old April 15th, 2010, 02:21 AM
A_Teator1
Hookah Pro

Once again great post Hajo. Very thought provoking
Old April 15th, 2010, 02:22 AM
shanaku
Hookah Nut

I see we live in the same world Hajo...

WE ARE THE FEW - THE PROUD - THE DARK SIDE!
WE ARE THE BLACK LEAF BROTHERHOOD
Old April 15th, 2010, 02:22 AM
MAD_HATTER
Hookah Master

wow.. just wow.. wonderful rant man.. seriously i agree with ya... but nothing we can do .. sometimes im ashamed to be apart of this "generation"

*goes off into the darkness with medwakh and a dokha in hand to think about this*
Old April 15th, 2010, 02:28 AM
Rob416
Hookah Guru

Send a message via AIM to Rob416

im totally with Mad Hatter on this one (never thought I would say that)

*as i hit my medwakh.*
Old April 15th, 2010, 02:49 AM
Coyotero
Hookah Guru

Down with poncy Moassel!

I agree with you Hajo, about roots, blood, and soil. About rejecting modern notions of conservatism, liberalism, Reality TV, Ed Hardy, and energy drinks. About the cheap and mass-produced banal crap that is sold en masse to a somnambulist public in hopes of Lulling them into a false sense of satisfaction. All these things which serve to destroy our souls and crush the very heart of that which makes us human.

Huxley was right, Orwell was wrong. It's our pleasures which they will use to control us. In the cheapest, most plastic, manufactured way... The illusion of contentedness to keep everyone complacent.
Old April 15th, 2010, 03:04 AM
MAD_HATTER
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob416 View Post
im totally with Mad Hatter on this one (never thought I would say that)

*as i hit my medwakh.*
hey.. am i that bad? LOL.. i should stop dicking around hahaha
Old April 15th, 2010, 07:49 AM
uglybiker
Quantum Bubblenautics,PhD

It's not just this generation. It's not everything becoming westernized. It's just part of human nature.
In every country, in every part of the world, in every period in history, over 99% of what can be considered 'popular culture' is total....mindless....crap. If you want something meaningful, you're going to have to search for it. And it makes it that much more meaningful when it's found.
The only reason today's crap is more noticeable is that we happen to be living through it.

Old April 15th, 2010, 07:49 AM
CaptHowdy
Hookah Enthusiast

Hajo I couldn't agree more! As MH stated, I am embarrassed to be part of this generation you speak of.

Coyo, I agree with you as well, except for the energy drink part, lol.
Favorite Hoses: 2 Large Nammor, Caravan, KM Rainbow, Ba Barkir
Old April 15th, 2010, 08:15 AM
03rivers
Hookah Nut

I couldn't agree more Hajo. Just the thought of epic smoke makes me sick to my stomach. I bought some a long time ago when I first started and didn't know any better and it was atrocious.
Old April 15th, 2010, 08:39 AM
faeriekitsune
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to faeriekitsune

I actually agree with uglybiker on this one. Every thing in every age seems like mindless crap until you find the gems buried beneath the trash. If I remember correctly (I'm not good with history at all), 17th century France thought it wildly popular to cut people's heads off. Pretty sure that wasn't much fun for those involved, but that same time period had some amazing cultural "fashions". Rococo art and neo-classicism were in full swing and therefore "popular". At the time though, the people only cared about the head fashion and not the art fashion. Afterwards, people appreciated the movements of art.
Old April 15th, 2010, 10:24 AM
ariberns
Hookah Master

i discuss this with my students, i make fun of them so i can get away with it, but i mean the things i say to them. I complain about how they behave as future leaders and how they carry themselves as the top 1% of america. They are supposed to be the best of the best (ivy league) and they certainly are scary in the fact that these are the people that will be deciding how the country shall be ran when i'm retired.
Old April 15th, 2010, 10:40 AM
Hookah-burdar
Hookah Nut

Well Hajo, I think we might share the same views, even if I consider myself unable to express them as well as you did, at least in decent English. Now, I would follow the moto of the International Commitee of Pipe Clubs (CIPC or Comité International des Pipes Clubs) "Relax with your pipe"... By the way, neither is smoking a good bowl of a nice english mixture with plenty of Latakia, orientals, to enrich some good Virginia leafes (with a hint of Louisiana's Perique) a fashionable pleasure these days... Tant pis pour les autres (So bad for the others!). After all, we might feel or might be alienated, but, in the end, we would'nt like to be part of THAT mainstream, would we? Speaking for myself, I would have to admit that I look after rare, old fashionable, outmoded behaviours, clothes, and interests, partly, because I do not want to be associated with the mainstream... It is kind of a reaction... If a modern Gin becomes fashionable and is widely advertised, say the rather expensive Hendricks, for example, I begin drinking BOLS Dutch old fashioned but original (and tasty) Gin (Very old one: Oude Jenever), or even more oldfashioned stuff like BOLS CORENWYN JENEVER, a really primitive stuff, distilled as it was done 200 years ago or more...
Then, of course, we do have so much to learn from other cultures, or just from past generations, our societies so often tend to forget... These days History is continously being manipulated for political reasons, on a scale which might only be proportionated to the development of the Media, the Web and so on, and the spead of some Western (bad) habits... There seldom is, among most politicians, and too many voters, a sincere attempt at trying to approach the truth (of the past or of a given culture or civilisation). So many books, research, or TV programs are biased and try to manipulate, or just stay at a very superficial level... As said, we'd better RELAX WITH OUR PIPES!

Last edited by Hookah-burdar; April 15th, 2010 at 10:45 AM.
Old April 15th, 2010, 11:36 AM
Ignited
Hookah Nut

Diversity and change are a beautiful thing, learn to accept them.
Old April 15th, 2010, 11:44 AM
kalutika
Mad Alchemist

Personally I feel that the current state of the world and pessimistic (not in an insulting way) views such as these are a constant.

No matter the generation, time period or society in question there is always disdain for the new and especially for those we deem useless or misguided. This happened with my generation. We were called generation Y because nobody could think of anything good after Gen X. Both were considered too wild and unguided by our free love, baby boom spawned parents, who were considered too wild and unguided by their hip swinging rock/jazz loving predecessors "the silent generation"
who were considered too wild and unguided by the starters of the civil rights movement "the greatest generation"
who were considered too wild and unguided by the bootlegging, flapper loving founders of suffrage "the interbellum generation" of the roaring twenties
who were considered too wild and unguided by the extremely forward thinking, artistic and disillusioned "lost generation" who were.... You get the idea. This probably goes back as far as there has been conscious thought.

The youth will always be seen as squandering their time, gifts and energies. The new thought process will always be seen as wasteful and unneeded and it will always seem old and mundane/traditional once it's time passes and a new lot are birthed that think the old ways are to be forgotten and their new ideas and thoughts are so radical that nobody born before them could have possibly been so extreme.

It's all pointless to worry about in my mind. I straddle the line. I love tradition and nostalgia but I am a forward thinker. I believe in an almost Darwinian theory of personal existence. To stagnate is to die. But we can't truly move forward unless we look to the past and determine what is truly new so we can make something nobody has experienced before.

Kids are always seen as without motivation or drive. It's part of being a kid. The majority will do little to influence the world and change things (for better or worse) but those are not the people you read about. The books are written about the shining pinnacles of their time. This is why many of us look back and feel that today's youth is so far below their ancestors. They are the same, just with different trends, fads and societal norms.

Some of the kids always grow up. They are the ones our descendants will read about and compare their own children to scoffing all the while about their lack of motivation and direction.
Old April 15th, 2010, 11:48 AM
kalutika
Mad Alchemist

As a side note, I agree regarding the misconception of "what hookah is all about". glycerin soaked modern stuff is far from what hookah is about. I like a lot of modern stuff but tobacco is supposed to be more than a medium on which to transport artificial flavors. That's like saying swisher sweets are what cigars are all about.
Old April 15th, 2010, 12:04 PM
CaptHowdy
Hookah Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalutika View Post
As a side note, I agree regarding the misconception of "what hookah is all about". glycerin soaked modern stuff is far from what hookah is about. I like a lot of modern stuff but tobacco is supposed to be more than a medium on which to transport artificial flavors. That's like saying swisher sweets are what cigars are all about.
+1 I believe in my Pride of Al-Qamishli review I say this is what hookah smoking is about. Wish more people thought the same way, not just a select few.
Favorite Hoses: 2 Large Nammor, Caravan, KM Rainbow, Ba Barkir
Old April 15th, 2010, 12:08 PM
kalutika
Mad Alchemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptHowdy View Post
+1 I believe in my Pride of Al-Qamishli review I say this is what hookah smoking is about. Wish more people thought the same way, not just a select few.
I'm looking forward to getting mine.
Old April 15th, 2010, 01:44 PM
Drewzi
Hookah Pro

I agree with you Hajo and I too am embarrassed to be a part of my generation. However i am very glad for HP and all of the wonderful people i have met and had the pleasure of chatting with. Its communities like this where the true meaning and timeless tradition of Hookah and Shisha smoking will survive, not in a club smoking something that is just as overly processed as fast food.
Old April 15th, 2010, 03:00 PM
HSK Locals
Hookah Pro

Epic smoke is a big waste of money. its flavorless and almost all juice. the only thing i think it was made for was a mixer. ether way this is a waste of money.
Old April 15th, 2010, 03:04 PM
Screamsalvation
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotero View Post
Down with poncy Moassel!

I agree with you Hajo, about roots, blood, and soil. About rejecting modern notions of conservatism, liberalism, Reality TV, Ed Hardy, and energy drinks. About the cheap and mass-produced banal crap that is sold en masse to a somnambulist public in hopes of Lulling them into a false sense of satisfaction. All these things which serve to destroy our souls and crush the very heart of that which makes us human.

Huxley was right, Orwell was wrong. It's our pleasures which they will use to control us. In the cheapest, most plastic, manufactured way... The illusion of contentedness to keep everyone complacent.
Can't agree more, because doesn't the mass public flock to their pleasures? What better way to control the people.
Old April 15th, 2010, 03:22 PM
DRMALIKIA
Hookah Nut

Peering into the future without learning from the past is why my generation and every generation thereafter has failed miserably at life. So many mistakes are repeated time and time again because government, citizens, youth, do nothing to learn from past mistakes. Change just for the sake of change, does nothing but speed up the process of circling the drain. The proverbial downward spiral.

Today's population expects government handouts rather then having a strong work ethic and self reliance. The ability to be free and obtain the things you desire in life is what has developed America into the promise land. I see Western life falling into the same trap so many cultures before us could not avoid. Excess laws, lazy subjects instead of citizens, more for the "People's Good" rather then the "Individual's Freedom". The "World Melting (Round Object Use for Cooking on the Stove)" is slowly creeping around the globe and cultures are fighting hard to repel that change. Look at the Middle East, China, US, Russia, no one wants to give up their way of life and it will be a bloody battle to the end. We will have to loose everything before humanity realizes that in order to survive we must know ourselves, what makes us human, before we can hope to advance to the next terrace of human existence.

In the mean time, I will stick to my internet spaceships game and pretend none of this is happening or really exists.

Last edited by DRMALIKIA; April 15th, 2010 at 08:27 PM.
Old April 15th, 2010, 03:39 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotero View Post
Down with poncy Moassel!

I beleive we are on the same page. Real wisdom and cultural are a communon of one ancestors and decendants tied to soil and expressed as custom, folkways and a divorce from that which is transitory.
Old April 15th, 2010, 03:43 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by uglybiker View Post
It's not just this generation. It's not everything becoming westernized. It's just part of human nature.
In every country, in every part of the world, in every period in history, over 99% of what can be considered 'popular culture' is total....mindless....crap. If you want something meaningful, you're going to have to search for it. And it makes it that much more meaningful when it's found.
The only reason today's crap is more noticeable is that we happen to be living through it.
Tradition is not waxing romanticly for an era gone and modernity is not simply what is current. Rather they are twin forces in contest with each other through out history. The West (in terms of culture) simply doesn't exist any longer because our masters have decided that globalism, atomistic indivisualism and conusmerism should replece kith, kin and all things of value in order to make the global plantation/factory easier to control.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook