Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Bowl/Coal question?

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share
Old April 26th, 2010, 07:03 PM
Hookah Newbie
Default Bowl/Coal question?

Hey! I just signed up for the forums, read the rules, and searched as much as I could for my question, but only seemed to get the same irrelevant posts, so here goes!

Just recently ordered my Nammor Oasis hookah, nammor hose, coconara coals, and vortex bowl. Call me over critical but I did a lot of research before I made my first official hookah purchase, and all of those seemed to get high reviews, not to mention hookah-shisha.coms AMAZING customer service.

So anyways, I got my order in today, set up my hookah, played around with water level (which is still a mystery), air-tightness and such. Finally packed a bowl, lit up two coconaras and tried to pull. I was using Starbuzz, which I heard gets amazing thick smoke, and was getting wimpy smoke that kinda looked like you were breathing out in the cold air. I have no idea how to properly light a coconara, as I've only used three kings QL coals before. I dont know if the coals weren't hot enough or what. I'm kinda panicking, for no reason im sure, but I just cant seem to get that perfect pull, like what I've experienced with my roommates Mya hookah. Here's my setup, if it helps.

Nammor oasis hookah with ice bucket thing
Nammor hose\
Vortex bowl
Starbuzz or romman shisha
Two coconara coals
Heba diffuser

Any help or advice with my hookah would be greatly appriciated!
Old April 26th, 2010, 07:10 PM
Hookah Pro
Default Re: Bowl/Coal question?

Are the coals fully ashed over before you are using them? Also how are you packing your tobacco? What does your hole pattern look like?
Old April 26th, 2010, 07:22 PM
Hookah Newbie

I left them on my stove for probably 6-8 minutes flipping them over along the way. I did a spiral pattern with sewing pins, slightly slimmer than a toothpick, from the outside to right up against the uh, spire, in the middle of the bowl. I did put a golden quicklight on out of frustration (they're what HS packs free with their orders) and saw my smoke multiply exponentially, but it burned my shisha hella fast. Sort of a tangent from original post, but the coconaras seemed to go out really quickly, like 45 minutes, like they weren't even being affected by the pulls.
Old April 26th, 2010, 08:04 PM
Hookah Newbie

do you have a wind cover? i recently switched from three kings to cocos too, at first i got mixed results. Now, I let them light for about 7 or 8 minutes (flipping them half way through) then take them off the stove plop them on opposite side of the bowl, and place a wind cover overr the bowl. after about a minute and a half i would have fatty clouds. i smoke AF and potion tobacco. i usually leave it on for a few minutes to "bake" the bowl a little and then remove it for the rest of the session. But im using a standard mya bowl. with a phunnel i use three cocos... and adjust the heat from there. im assuming you can use three cocos with a vortex bowl too.

as for water level? i fill the base to about an inch over the bottem of the down stem.

edit: for holes i use a thumb tack and do three rings.

Last edited by elamp54; April 26th, 2010 at 08:08 PM.
Old April 26th, 2010, 08:07 PM
Mad Alchemist

45 minutes is about right for most coals without wind cover treatment. Was the smoke whispy for the entire session or just the beginning? Vortex bowls take a long time to heat up but once they do they are nice. A wind cover will help I believe.
Old April 26th, 2010, 08:07 PM
Hookah Nut

As far as water level, fill it to about an inch above the bottom of the downstem. Coconaras need to be lit on an electric or gas stove till they are glowing hot, and flip them halfway through.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook

coconara, nammor, smoke