Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

bad coals?

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old April 28th, 2010, 08:08 AM
Allan
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to Allan
Default bad coals?

i dont know if there was a threat on this before,but i have used these coals before,cant say the name,it was a recent ban'd vendor,and never had a problem,but this batch i just got,they smell when lighting and smoke and crackle,whats going on?
Old April 28th, 2010, 08:46 AM
CaptHowdy
Hookah Enthusiast

Default Re: bad coals?

Smell when lighting is normal from those coals. I always get a small amount of smoke from them, but the crackle is new to me. They are just not that great of coals IMO.
Favorite Hoses: 2 Large Nammor, Caravan, KM Rainbow, Ba Barkir
Old April 28th, 2010, 10:18 AM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

The CH coals definitely give off a smell when lighting. My wife use to always ask .. "Are you burning something?!?" .. I've stopped using them because of the smell and I have found better natural coals .. Coconaras and Exoticas are my primary coals.

CH tried to duplicate Coconaras but couldn't replicate the awesomeness of Coconara!

If you want some good coconut coals, I can recommend (based on my personal opinion) the Coconaras. I am also anxious to try the Starlights that CaptHowdy sent me. Dee and CaptHowdy speak very highly of the Starlight coconut coals, so I am excited to try them, based on their valued opinions.

Save your CH coals for a bonfire, chiminea, or fireplace .. if you light them in the fire nobody will notice the smell. That is what I use to do.

http://www.hookahpro.com - Hookah Pro Community - Hookah Forum
~Favorite Hookah~ Khalil Mamoon Amer .. (she leans, so I call her Eileen)
~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Al Fakher Mint, Al Fakher Orange, Al Fakher Cinnamon
HookahPro.com .. powered by Elites!
Old April 28th, 2010, 10:19 AM
Ignited
Hookah Nut

I've tried both the starlight and coconara and like both.
Coconara edges the starlights out IMO.
Old April 28th, 2010, 10:19 AM
Allan
Hookah Nut

well when i got my new hookah in on friday alvin from HS gave me like 10 coconara coals,and i fell in love,its just that i have used the CH coals before,and this time its messing up my smoke and making my head hurt when i m smoking,and i dont have money to place a coconara order right now,if i could i would,i just dont know what to do XD
Old April 28th, 2010, 10:46 AM
kalutika
Mad Alchemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan View Post
well when i got my new hookah in on friday alvin from HS gave me like 10 coconara coals,and i fell in love,its just that i have used the CH coals before,and this time its messing up my smoke and making my head hurt when i m smoking,and i dont have money to place a coconara order right now,if i could i would,i just dont know what to do XD
Ya... I used to be a big supporter of that charcoal because of their convenience and cost efficiency but I am an honest person and the quality was never top of the line and it has only gone down hill form there. The last two boxes I used ranked just above silver flint and off brand QL charcoals on my ranking list. Just to clarify those two are the bottom rung. The CH nats seemed to smell much more when lighting than I remembered and were randomly giving a coal flavor during he session that was really unpleasant. The QL... well we all know how they smell... and they were always worse with adding flavor than the nats were.
Old April 28th, 2010, 12:26 PM
Dakins
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalutika View Post
The CH nats seemed to smell much more when lighting than I remembered and were randomly giving a coal flavor during he session that was really unpleasant. The QL... well we all know how they smell... and they were always worse with adding flavor than the nats were.
So much truth. This is a classic case of "you get what you pay for".
Old April 28th, 2010, 12:46 PM
ariberns
Hookah Master

CH coals suck ass
i bought them to save money...forget that, they suck they smell like fart
now i get my coals directly from coco-nara
Old April 28th, 2010, 12:54 PM
BobMarley
Hookah Guru

I love my CH coals but it sounds like I'll have to try coconara now. Especially singe there's a red/orange ash with my current box.. It really confuses me as to what chemicals are in there to produce red and orange ash. (And no it's not from the ember, I can burn the whole thing and there's a tinge when there's no heat left in it.)
Old April 28th, 2010, 01:16 PM
kalutika
Mad Alchemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarley View Post
I love my CH coals but it sounds like I'll have to try coconara now. Especially singe there's a red/orange ash with my current box.. It really confuses me as to what chemicals are in there to produce red and orange ash. (And no it's not from the ember, I can burn the whole thing and there's a tinge when there's no heat left in it.)
Really? That's wacky. I never experienced anything like that and I used those coals for a LONG time. Interesting.

Anybody have any idea as to why this would happen?
Old April 28th, 2010, 01:17 PM
Rudie Cant Fail
Hookah Pro

I have to say that although the starlights I had were my first quality coal experience, coconaras have won me over and taken the top spot on my shelf lol. CH coals always smelled and crackled a bit for me, I figured that's how they were!
Old April 28th, 2010, 01:25 PM
kalutika
Mad Alchemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakins View Post
So much truth. This is a classic case of "you get what you pay for".
I had fairly good experiences with them for a while. The problems I had with them varied over the course of me using them ranging from splitting during humid weather to blackening quickly. But these were not to any level that would have stopped me from using them.

The problems I am talking about in that post were most prominent in the last couple boxes and were what encouraged me to try something new. Before that I had other complaints, but nothing to that level.
Old April 28th, 2010, 01:26 PM
Allan
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudie Cant Fail View Post
I have to say that although the starlights I had were my first quality coal experience, coconaras have won me over and taken the top spot on my shelf lol. CH coals always smelled and crackled a bit for me, I figured that's how they were!
nope lol, i have had the CH coals before, and never had it do this to me till now,and it was only 3 coals out of a box of 108 that i had,i dont wanna touch the box again lol
Old April 28th, 2010, 01:34 PM
MAD_HATTER
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarley View Post
LOL i noticed that to.. it has like a light orange tone to it.. ehh.. i never tried the "new" exoticas.. and only tried the older batch of cocos.. idk about the exoticas older batch i tried were shit.. never again LOL
Old April 28th, 2010, 02:27 PM
kalutika
Mad Alchemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD_HATTER View Post
LOL i noticed that to.. it has like a light orange tone to it.. ehh.. i never tried the "new" exoticas.. and only tried the older batch of cocos.. idk about the exoticas older batch i tried were shit.. never again LOL
The new exotica coals I have are great. I'm only part way through the first of three boxes I have but so far their treating me really nicely.
Old April 28th, 2010, 02:44 PM
patelbadboy2006
Hookah Master

Send a message via MSN to patelbadboy2006 Send a message via Yahoo to patelbadboy2006

Its funny how since the vendor is gone his coals get bashed and before when he was here, everyone loved them erm

Apart form a valid reason for not liking them of some above, it seems like a thread to bash the coals
Old April 28th, 2010, 03:06 PM
HSK Locals
Hookah Pro

I actually liked the CH coals, they burn nice and last a while. on the down side about 1/5 of the box cracked when they were on the burner lighting. i assume this is from a rough travel through usps. i did notice a smell on them but the strength of the smell varied from coal to coal.
Old April 28th, 2010, 03:19 PM
SkylineGTR
Hookah Nut

I've used both, and I can't decide which ones I like more. If I got coconaras for free i'd use those, if I got the CH's for free I'd use those too.
Old April 28th, 2010, 03:56 PM
brybry642
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by patelbadboy2006 View Post
Its funny how since the vendor is gone his coals get bashed and before when he was here, everyone loved them erm

Apart form a valid reason for not liking them of some above, it seems like a thread to bash the coals

Agreed...3 months ago it was which are better coconara or CH...about 50/50...now look!

Makes me laugh.
Old April 28th, 2010, 04:09 PM
kalutika
Mad Alchemist

Quote:

Do you remember the thread where people said bad things about the coals and other products? They turned into flame fests against the poster. It doesn't take much of a general feeling to influence how people post. And yes, I agree, that goes both ways but at least at this point it's not a flame fest anymore. Now it's mostly just opinions.

Back on subject.

Allan, were you using the QL version or the natural?

Last edited by kalutika; April 28th, 2010 at 04:12 PM.
Old April 28th, 2010, 04:09 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

Quote:

It is actually quite refreshing to see Hookah Pro Members being given back the free will to express their distaste in a product without feeling like a handful of the paid fanboys are going to belittle and flame them for expressing a difference of opinion.

Watch my reviews .. I've said it for years that they smell when lighting .. I said they smelled in my initial review during my first experience with them and after a few more reluctant tries I still say .. They STINK! That is just my honest and unbiased opinion, and I'm entitled to it!

You do realize that the manufacturer you are currently standing up for actually had the audacity to request that I NOT express my own opinions about how I think that they smelled bad? He wanted me to NOT express the truth .. you realize that right??

OK, let's get this back on topic ... Thank You

~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Old April 28th, 2010, 04:14 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalutika View Post
Do you remember the thread where people said bad things? They existed but were often shot down harshly.
+1 to what kalutika said ..!!

Now, GET this thread back on topic.

Do not fear being judged for having a difference of opinion about a product!

If you are having similar problems, please feel free to express and talk about.

Old April 28th, 2010, 04:15 PM
Blaat
Hookah Pro

True Sambooka, but now, since he's banned, they get more flamed than before..

On topic:
I never had any bad coals, tried Cocobrico, Bamboocha and Starlight Cilinder nats.
Starlight were the best I've used so far, one cilinder (25 = 1 kg) gave me one good bowl, they were easy to lit, no smell, just nice!
Bamboocha coals smell a bit when litting, they lit faster than other nats imo.
Cocobrico are little harder to lit (maybe just for me, I use a gas stove), but two of them is enough for me (with windcover as back up) to give good heat, and they are really cheap! 72 pieces for €2,50.
Old April 28th, 2010, 04:33 PM
patelbadboy2006
Hookah Master

Send a message via MSN to patelbadboy2006 Send a message via Yahoo to patelbadboy2006

I was just saying, not trying to stir anything, like you said its about stating opinions and thats what im doing, from about 1.5 months ago everyone loved them, and all of a sudden the vendors gone and everyone bashes, them.

from the begining i said coconaras were better, and now i say that the cocobricos are better, ch when they were released were good coals, but ive always had a better alternative

Yh i remember when a OP was shot down for saying they were bad as people seemed to like them back then, i just want to know why the sudden change in opinion.

i know you always got them because of the price difference between them and CCN but nothing else, but i agree better alternatives are out atm Kal

Last edited by patelbadboy2006; April 28th, 2010 at 04:38 PM.
Old April 28th, 2010, 04:53 PM
uglybiker
Quantum Bubblenautics,PhD

I never had problems with CH coals. Yeah, the QL's smelled like gunpowder lighting up, but that went away quick. And they work as good or better as any coconut coals I've tried. Including those crummy Coconaras. They're the only QL's I've had that compare to a natural coal.

That said, I still prefer my Exoticas.

Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook