Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

I wanna start.... but where at? *PICS*

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old May 3rd, 2010, 01:47 AM
Cadrian
Hookah Nut

Send a message via ICQ to Cadrian
Default I wanna start.... but where at? *PICS*

I found myself about 2 weeks ago craving some Nicotine and have been ever since. I quit cigs about 5 years ago and never have looked back. I thought about chewing on cigars again like I use to but a friend of mine brought up a great memory.

The Memory was a couple years ago we walked into a smoked shop and took some pulls off a hookah... Soon as he said it, I remember how much I enjoyed it but then I looked at the prices of the hookah and got turned off instantly. But I remember how clean it was compared to all other smoke Ive had.

So I remembered my cousin had a hookah he got from his old Egyptian boss years ago and it was just sitting in a closet. I went over and got it today. Gees this thing is looks rough. Its missing the tray ashtray, bowl and all the grommets except the bowl grommet which is melted on. *Dont know how I am going to scrape that thing off*

Here is some Pics...

So of course I was going to pretty much ditch the Hoses... Get a Nammor. Get a Vortex, ashtray,tongs, and all new grommets. Then just order a ton of so I can figure out what brands and Flavors I like. Which comes out to 150 bucks shipped in my http://www.hookah-shisha.com/ cart. Which I will also get a free MYA acrylic with that in this hookah I already have don't work.

But Hell for 150 bucks or a little more I can get a really nice Hookah.. but very little shisha. I want to just buy a nice hookah and the 150 bucks in shisha and accessories but that's 300 bucks off me judging that I liked 2 pulls 2 years ago.

Whats everyone's on opinions on what I need to do?
Old May 3rd, 2010, 01:50 AM
xH00K4HxSN1P3Rx
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to xH00K4HxSN1P3Rx Send a message via MSN to xH00K4HxSN1P3Rx Send a message via Skype™ to xH00K4HxSN1P3Rx
Default Re: I wanna start.... but where at? *PICS*

Check out dirtcheaphookahs.com they have amazing deals and you can get a pretty nice hookah fairly enexpensively.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 01:52 AM
Devsterman
Hookah Nut

I would personally get a new rig. That thing does look quite rough. This is the hookah I bought. It comes with a Nammor hose. (I chose the pyramid base).
http://www.hookah-shisha.com/p-3888-...h-package.html

The new rig isn't going to set you back that much (if you stick with the cheaper ones). That gives you more money for shisha.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 02:01 AM
wildmancherry1
Hookah Nut

Send a message via MSN to wildmancherry1

I say clean it up, give the pipe a shot, then decide if you want to buy a tray and stuff for it. Might be worth keeping, might not. There are alot of nice pipes under 100$ though keep that in mind.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 02:18 AM
xH00K4HxSN1P3Rx
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to xH00K4HxSN1P3Rx Send a message via MSN to xH00K4HxSN1P3Rx Send a message via Skype™ to xH00K4HxSN1P3Rx

The base looks like it's in great shape. I'd just take a little CLR to the down stem and ports. Clean the hell out of it, pick up a cheap bowl and a grommet set at a local shop and give it a shot to see how it works. Then if you decide to get a new pipe and such, check out the vendor I mentioned above and/or any other vendor for good deals.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 02:32 AM
uglybiker
Quantum Bubblenautics,PhD

I'd say clean this one up first. A decent bowl, grommets, tray and hose won't set you back much and, if worse comes to worst, you'll have spares for your new rig.

BTW Is that duct tape around the purge valve?

Old May 3rd, 2010, 02:54 AM
matais3
Hookah Nut

"chewing on cigars" why not just smoke itt.??
Old May 3rd, 2010, 03:21 AM
Cadrian
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by matais3 View Post
"chewing on cigars" why not just smoke itt.??
Makes my cloths stink.... But If I started chewing them. I know id light a few.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uglybiker View Post
BTW Is that duct tape around the purge valve?
Sadly yes... Gotta take that off to. This thing looks rough.

I could wait a little in the week and maybe put another 60 bucks in and get a new steam like a KM or something. The Base is in perfect shape, just the stem looks like its been through hell and back.

My main concern is... If I am going to do this I want to do it right. Like all my hobbies I like to jump in with decent quality stuff. I don't wanna get a setup and end up wanting more instantly on the first go around. Then again I also dont wanna jump in and realize I spent to much on something I dont like like :P

But for the money Grommets and Tray to try to fix this one isn't that bad of a start or just a try that fails, plus if I didnt like it I could try the free little MYA thing I get. Then again hookah-shisha.com seems on the expensive side with shipping... Almost could just buy another cheap Hookah and get free shipping on Hookahstore for the same.

Just gonna take a little bit longer to decide on what am going to do.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 04:04 AM
Coyotero
Hookah Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by xH00K4HxSN1P3Rx View Post
Check out dirtcheaphookahs.com they have amazing deals and you can get a pretty nice hookah fairly enexpensively.
Cheapo chinese rigs. AVOID!

Honestly, it looks like an average Egyptian pipe, with cleaning and new grommets it will likely smoke better than any cheapo rig. Might even serve you pretty well with a little TLC.

If you like cigars you might do well to look into some traditional tobacco too.

If this pipe were mine, I'd do the following:

Get a stem and bottle brush from any of our sponsoring vendors.

Clean the inside of the stem and bottle out really good.

Clean the outside of the downstem with a scotchbrite pad to get the corrosion off.

Knock the dust off the rest of it.

X-acto knife might be able to take the grommet off the top. It might be fine leaving it on there, provided it doesn't accumulate grossness.

Order a grand caravan hose and a classic Egyptian bowl, some coconara coals and some good tobacco (Nakhla!).

Fire that smokewagon up and see how she does.

Darth Coyote, Executor of EGOB and the Black Leaf Brotherhood.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 04:13 AM
xH00K4HxSN1P3Rx
Hookah Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotero View Post
Cheapo chinese rigs. AVOID!

Honestly, it looks like an average Egyptian pipe, with cleaning and new grommets it will likely smoke better than any cheapo rig. Might even serve you pretty well with a little TLC.

If you like cigars you might do well to look into some traditional tobacco too.

If this pipe were mine, I'd do the following:

Get a stem and bottle brush from any of our sponsoring vendors.

Clean the inside of the stem and bottle out really good.

Clean the outside of the downstem with a scotchbrite pad to get the corrosion off.

Knock the dust off the rest of it.

X-acto knife might be able to take the grommet off the top. It might be fine leaving it on there, provided it doesn't accumulate grossness.

Order a grand caravan hose and a classic Egyptian bowl, some coconara coals and some good tobacco (Nakhla!).

Fire that smokewagon up and see how she does.

I would have to disagree with you on the "cheapo chinese rigs" my friend. I own a couple KM's, a Mya QT, and an SS Rave. As well as a few different rigs from DCH and they all smoke about the same if you know what you're doing. I actually just ordered a 20in black med. hookah from them. The stem is completely stainless steel, it's a traditional chamber not a common, the base is a thick heavy glass, the bowl is a perfectly fine med. egyptian and a mya hose.. The purge valve is amazing and the draw is so easy you forget it's not a 200 dollar pipe.

Name brand isn't everything man. Unless you're talking shisha or coals. If the pipe is made good, but has a cheap price, doesn't mean you bhace to knock the pipe.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 06:56 AM
Dusty62
Hookah Aficionado

unless there are breaks in the welds it looks like all it needs is some TLC and a bit of elbow grease. Clean her up and give her a shot. Grommets and a bowl are cheap and if it works well then you can invest in a tray and such. Heck, just for starters to try it out you can make a tray out of a potpie tin or some such device that you can recycle from a cheap dinner or just buy one at your local wallyworld. Then, if it doesn't work out for you you've only invested $20 or so. Still have plenty to buy a whole new hookah. If, on the other hand, it works well enough for you, you'll have plenty of moola left over for purchasing all the moassel and coals you'll need. Smoke happy.

dus'
Old May 3rd, 2010, 12:20 PM
glostersa
Hookah Master

All that hookah need is some TLC the down stem is copper and the body seems to be stainless steel. use fine water (p1200 or finer) emery paper ( to clean up the copper oxidization from the bottom of the stem (green cooper rust) brush the stem through with brass brush and some baking soda and lemonjuice the old grommet can just be soaked in warm water and peeled off use fine emery ( P1200 or finer water paper in water) to clean up the residue. Then it is just a matter get a bowl from the smoke shop and take the stem and vase with some grommets. get a cheap healthy hose or pull the ends from the hose and use some tubing to make a hose that hookah should smoke like a train. Replace the Ball bearing with a 6 or 8 mm plastic BB remember to brush the ports as well. Get some coals and tobacco and enjoy. then you can save up for your Km and extras Bowls hoses ect at your leisure. (BTW the Maya petite with the acrylic base has gotten some good reviews here)
Old May 3rd, 2010, 01:20 PM
britjh22
Hookah Nut

First I'd say clean that up. Check to see if it's airtight, and check for corrosion. If it's okay, but the needed accessories and shisha from H-S, but instead of the free hookah use the hookah pro discount code.

If the stem is no good, you could buy a new KM stem. I think Hookahstore has a carnival style for between $30 and $40.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 08:31 PM
Coyotero
Hookah Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by xH00K4HxSN1P3Rx View Post
I would have to disagree with you on the "cheapo chinese rigs" my friend. I own a couple KM's, a Mya QT, and an SS Rave. As well as a few different rigs from DCH and they all smoke about the same if you know what you're doing. I actually just ordered a 20in black med. hookah from them. The stem is completely stainless steel, it's a traditional chamber not a common, the base is a thick heavy glass, the bowl is a perfectly fine med. egyptian and a mya hose.. The purge valve is amazing and the draw is so easy you forget it's not a 200 dollar pipe.

Name brand isn't everything man. Unless you're talking shisha or coals. If the pipe is made good, but has a cheap price, doesn't mean you bhace to knock the pipe.
Dude, I just looked at that 20" black rig. It has the same chamber as several of their other pipes and it is a common chamber. Unless their making the same exterior with different interior combinations. Which I concede is possible. However, it would also be more expensive to manufacture, which isn't likely given the price point.

My point is that a $20 Chinese rig might work alright in the short term, but it isn't going to stack up to handmade rig. The fact is the Egyptians have a head start on the Chinese by about a half a millenium when it comes to hookah production.

Old May 3rd, 2010, 08:43 PM
Scarcity
Hookah Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotero View Post
Dude, I just looked at that 20" black rig. It has the same chamber as several of their other pipes and it is a common chamber. Unless their making the same exterior with different interior combinations. Which I concede is possible. However, it would also be more expensive to manufacture, which isn't likely given the price point.

My point is that a $20 Chinese rig might work alright in the short term, but it isn't going to stack up to handmade rig. The fact is the Egyptians have a head start on the Chinese by about a half a millenium when it comes to hookah production.
They do have some 'Lebanese' which look pretty legit from what I know of Lebanese Hookahs. They also have traditional chambers.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 09:20 PM
twoapplesplease
Hookah Guru

I'd clean that one up.....That at one time was a nice solid pipe....the inner stem and downstem look like one solid copper pipe...That should clean up nice might no look good from the ouside but it should smoke well once its cleaned
Old May 3rd, 2010, 09:27 PM
cdplayersony
Hookah Nut

Location: Evanston, IL during the school year. Pullman, WA during not during the school year.

Try cleaning up and trying that out, if it doesnt work then honestly your free acrylic MYA hookah will be able to carry you over until you get enough money to buy a nice KM. Btw, what shisha's are you planning on getting? We could probably help you avoid tossing any *cough*AFwatermelon*cough*
Old May 3rd, 2010, 10:55 PM
corey150
Hookah Nut

i wish i knew people who just had hookahs lying around and gave me one lol no matter the condition its a pretty sweet gesture lol
Old May 3rd, 2010, 11:13 PM
Cadrian
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdplayersony View Post
Try cleaning up and trying that out, if it doesnt work then honestly your free acrylic MYA hookah will be able to carry you over until you get enough money to buy a nice KM. Btw, what shisha's are you planning on getting? We could probably help you avoid tossing any *cough*AFwatermelon*cough*
This is what I have in my cart right now... I was going to put it in the sub forum but might as well keep it here I think.
Flavors and Brands
1-Nakhla 250g:: Mizo mint
1-Al Fakher 50g Flavor: orange
1-100g Starbuzz margarita
1-100g white peach
1-Al Fakher 50g Flavor: cola
1-Nakhla 250g:: orange
1-Fumari 100g: tropical punch
1-Alwaha 50g Orange Vanilla
1-alwaha 50g Power Bull
1-Alwaha 50g Kiwi

Accessories

1-Tongs
1-Coco Nara Hookah Coals (108 Pieces)
1-Vortex Hookah Bowl
1-Traditional Wind Cover Size:: large
1- Hookah Foil
1- Large Red Nammor Hose
1-Hookah Bowl Grommet: Egyptian Bowl Grommet
3-Hookah Hose Grommet: Egyptian Hose Grommet
1-Medium Base Grommet Egyptian

It comes out to roughly 150 shipped. 130 in products and like 20 in shipping. I based all my flavor and brand choices on the tons of Youtube reviews I have watched in the last week mixed with my own personal tastes.

Does it looks like a decent order?
Old May 3rd, 2010, 11:32 PM
Francine
Hookah Nut

Clean it up. Doesn't look like it is that bad of shape. If you're set on getting a new one and need to find a home for this one, I could take it in. Though, if I were you, I would just give that thing the love it deserves and clean her up.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 11:34 PM
03rivers
Hookah Nut

It looks like a great order except hookah foil is unnecessary just pick up some reynolds wrap it works great
Old May 4th, 2010, 12:07 AM
uglybiker
Quantum Bubblenautics,PhD

Quote:
Looking at the pics, you'll probably need a large. Measure the stem diameter where the grommet goes and the base opening. Then email them to the vendor. They should be able to make sure you get the right one.

Old May 4th, 2010, 12:13 AM
ream
Hookah Nut

very nice basket but id gett he phunnel over the vortex personally.
Old May 4th, 2010, 12:14 AM
Cadrian
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by uglybiker View Post
Looking at the pics, you'll probably need a large. Measure the stem diameter where the grommet goes and the base opening. Then email them to the vendor. They should be able to make sure you get the right one.
Ya that was the plan... I need to find my measuring tape but it looks like a inch and half across. That or I was just going to order a large and a medium.

*edit I was also thinking of another purge Valve.

Last edited by Cadrian; May 4th, 2010 at 12:24 AM.
Old May 4th, 2010, 01:27 AM
Coyotero
Hookah Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadrian View Post
This is what I have in my cart right now... I was going to put it in the sub forum but might as well keep it here I think.
Flavors and Brands
1-Nakhla 250g:: Mizo mint
1-Al Fakher 50g Flavor: orange
1-100g Starbuzz margarita
1-100g white peach
1-Al Fakher 50g Flavor: cola
1-Nakhla 250g:: orange
1-Fumari 100g: tropical punch
1-Alwaha 50g Orange Vanilla
1-alwaha 50g Power Bull
1-Alwaha 50g Kiwi

Accessories

1-Tongs
1-Coco Nara Hookah Coals (108 Pieces)
1-Vortex Hookah Bowl
1-Traditional Wind Cover Size:: large
1- Hookah Foil
1- Large Red Nammor Hose
1-Hookah Bowl Grommet: Egyptian Bowl Grommet
3-Hookah Hose Grommet: Egyptian Hose Grommet

It comes out to roughly 150 shipped. 130 in products and like 20 in shipping. I based all my flavor and brand choices on the tons of Youtube reviews I have watched in the last week mixed with my own personal tastes.

Does it looks like a decent order?
Just my opinion, but I'd lose the starbuzz and Al Waha and add more fumari.

Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook