Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Got in trouble at work because I smoke hookah!!!

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old May 14th, 2010, 10:13 AM
ShishaSteve
Hookah Newbie

Send a message via Skype™ to ShishaSteve
Default Got in trouble at work because I smoke hookah!!!

So I got in a not so pleasant voice mail from my boss today ordering me to remove all pictures of myself with a hookah from my facebook account. He said it looks like something illegal. and he didn't want me to have a bad image and give people the wrong idea. Granted I work in politics and I am managing a state senate campaign, so I can understand how image is really important in my line of work, but I'm not the senator running for re-election.

I hate the negative stigma that is too often associated with smoking hookah. Besides, I would love to be able to keep my work life and my personal life separate! I don't think having a picture of me smoking a hookah, enjoying myself is a bad thing! And really, who is going to be looking at my facebook page and basing their vote off of a picture of myself smoking a hookah. I'm only 18 and considering most voters are 35+ 99% of them aren't even going to see my picture.

I do have to say though, that I really like my boss and he's generally a really good guy and I've never had a problem with him before, but this one just irritates me.

Last edited by KoRnKitten; May 16th, 2010 at 03:14 AM.
Old May 14th, 2010, 10:18 AM
03rivers
Hookah Nut

Default Re: Got in trouble at work because I smoke hookah!!!

Unfortunately in your line of work especially image is everything and you can never be too careful. That sucks that you had to take them down but I guess we all make sacrifices in life. I do hate the negative stigma though. He wouldn't ask you to take down a picture of you smoking a cigarette.
Old May 14th, 2010, 10:26 AM
ariberns
Hookah Master

Hookah is not part of the american culture and you are in a line of work where social norms are extremely important. This seems trivial. I wouldn't be concerned about having to remove the pics, i would simply comply being that its not even a battle worth contemplating. Or you could just set the pics to private or friends only instead of deleting them completely. Either way, it seems of no consequence.
Old May 14th, 2010, 10:28 AM
Cadrian
Hookah Nut

Send a message via ICQ to Cadrian

Your boss is your friend on Facebook? Gees that would suck

Why dont you just make it private? My Myspace and Facebook are Private just for that reason... I have a few politcal things that I support that not many people do, so at first I was worried about my job and co-workers and stuff but then I just started screening people I am friends with. I wont think twice to just deny somebody my friendship on a network site.

Am worried about making youtube vids as well for reviews and stuff... But am just going to stick to my screen name. Right now my current user name on youtube is my Last name and first initial not the smartest thing I have done but i was in a hurry. So I gotta make another one before I start making vids.

Worst thing Ive done is my EBAY account is my last name first intial all the free stuff I get from work I cant sell on ebay because its pretty obvious who I am!!! Sucks, thinking of making a new name there but then I would lose a good bit of feedback.
Old May 14th, 2010, 12:31 PM
JediSpam
Hookah Aficionado

facebook and co-workers should not exist. you should have realized that before you got a job. hide things remove anything that looks shady and block them from seeing it
Old May 14th, 2010, 12:36 PM
oSPANNERo
Hookah Nut

This is a *Very* common occurrence in today's day and age. The bleeding of work and home can cause some very unfortunate consequences. I know for a face that several younger teachers have gotten in trouble with their school districts over Facebook/Flickr/Twitter pictures. And I also know that, after google-ing job candidates I have e-mailed incriminating pictures to co-workers who were part of the interview process.
36" Solid Al Fakher, Blue Razan
29" KM Trimetal, KM "Red Lion" Gilded Base, Crown Jewel Bowl, Red v3 Narbish, CH "Solar Flare" Tip
Old May 14th, 2010, 12:52 PM
invayn3
Hookah Nut

I think I'm one of the eleven people on the planet whose never had a Myspace, Facebook, or Livejournal account..
Old May 14th, 2010, 03:22 PM
SonOfGram
Hookah Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by invayn3 View Post
I think I'm one of the eleven people on the planet whose never had a Myspace, Facebook, or Livejournal account..
Add me to that list, never had one for the exact same reasons the OP was talking about. If I want to get in touch with friends I pick up the phone, I don't need any stalkers, followers or an occasional nosy co-worker.

How-To Etch a Hookah Base: http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22782
How-To DIY E-Cigarette: http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33454
Old May 14th, 2010, 10:22 PM
Mike5Smith
Hookah Newbie

thats some bull crap
Old May 15th, 2010, 03:10 PM
starbuzzin33
Hookah Newbie

I was talking to my parents the other day and they were talking about cultural experiences and I told them I get a cultural experience every time I smoke hookah....they didnt believe me. I tried explaining the history and all that too them but they still think it has something to do with drugs!
Old May 15th, 2010, 05:31 PM
eradikater
Hookah Nut

sorry man, that really sucks. make it private!!
Old May 16th, 2010, 12:25 AM
himenow
Hookah Nut

Send a message via ICQ to himenow Send a message via AIM to himenow Send a message via MSN to himenow Send a message via Skype™ to himenow

What does he care what you do in your private time? As long as you come in to work and do what you're supposed to do, everything should be fine. I mean, it's not like you come to work with a hookah and take pictures of yourself there and then post them on Facebook, so what's his problem?
Old May 16th, 2010, 12:53 AM
SonOfGram
Hookah Aficionado

It's the negative stigma of hookah smoking and the employer's fear that it might translate into workplace, perfectly understandable from an employer's perspective if the assumptions were true.

How-To Etch a Hookah Base: http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22782
How-To DIY E-Cigarette: http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33454
Old May 16th, 2010, 03:18 AM
KoRnKitten
Moderator Kitteh

Send a message via AIM to KoRnKitten Send a message via Yahoo to KoRnKitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediSpam View Post
facebook and co-workers should not exist. you should have realized that before you got a job. hide things remove anything that looks shady and block them from seeing it
QFT. I'm not friends with ANYONE I work with. Period. You are my coworker/boss/whatever. You don't need to see my family shiznit.

As for the pictures, make your profile private and tell people "NO" when asking to be your friend on social sites. Facebook and Myspace have gotten SO many people fired, it's not even funny!

P.S I say F what an employer thinks they know. What I do in my off time is none of their business as long as I don't violate any contractual agreements between me and the employer. If it's not illegal, they can piss off. I would LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE for them to fire me over my hookah. I would slap them so fast with a lawsuit that their head would spin. (And this is coming from someone who is NOT a sue happy person)

GLaDOS: "You euthanised your faithful companion cube more quickly than any test subject on record. Congratulations!"

Last edited by KoRnKitten; May 16th, 2010 at 04:13 AM.
Old May 17th, 2010, 08:17 AM
faeriekitsune
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to faeriekitsune

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoRnKitten View Post
P.S I say F what an employer thinks they know. What I do in my off time is none of their business as long as I don't violate any contractual agreements between me and the employer. If it's not illegal, they can piss off. I would LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE for them to fire me over my hookah. I would slap them so fast with a lawsuit that their head would spin. (And this is coming from someone who is NOT a sue happy person)
QFT x2.
Old May 17th, 2010, 08:24 AM
killak3v
Hookah Nut

thatss way i block every and anyone who isnt a friend my block list is over 50 ppl between some family co workers and some exes and there crazy friends lol
Old May 17th, 2010, 11:15 PM
matt_attack757
Hookah Nut

that sucks i get bugged by family on facebook
Old May 17th, 2010, 11:31 PM
chipmunkey
Hookah Newbie

It is sad that hookahs get a bad rep. The other day I stopped by my dad's house and mentioned to him and his girl friend that I was going to go chill with some friends and smoke my hookah. My dad said "OK", but his girlfriend's immediate response was, "Hookah? Are those illegal?" As a whole, U.S. society is just misinformed on the matter.
Old May 18th, 2010, 06:14 AM
hrsyinc
Hookah Newbie

I know what you guys mean. I'm a Corrections Officer for my local Sheriff's Department and I've already had some of the other deputies tell me I should have any pictures of my hookah or even mention it on facebook. I took the pictures down but it does annoy me. Oh well goes with the job I guess...
Old May 18th, 2010, 06:26 PM
ObsoleteE
Hookah Nut

The stigma sucks, but I understand where your employer is coming from. I am friends with co workers and even a couple of my bosses on facebook. But, there are NO pictures of me with a hookah, or anything else questionable. You really have to be careful with social networking.
Old May 18th, 2010, 07:23 PM
Mike5Smith
Hookah Newbie

think its gay how companies check up on employees private life, if its legal its legal
Old May 18th, 2010, 07:28 PM
ObsoleteE
Hookah Nut

I agree, but it is what it is, and you've got to cover your own ass.
Old May 18th, 2010, 07:35 PM
hrsyinc
Hookah Newbie

It specifically states in my employment contract that I must maintain a moral and ethical public image. I would say a large percentage of the public perceive our hobby as drug related. I guess now that I have joined your ranks I'll just have to do my best to educate the public until hookahs are as widely loved and accepted as all other forms of tobacco... wait crap... ok at least until people know its not a drug thing.
Old May 18th, 2010, 07:36 PM
abu ronin
Hookah Master

Send a message via Yahoo to abu ronin

Sounds like the perfect opportunity to tell your boss to kiss your ass!
Old May 18th, 2010, 07:42 PM
Nick
Deleted Per User Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by abu ronin View Post
Sounds like the perfect opportunity to tell your boss to kiss your ass!
This.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook