Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

In public...

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old February 14th, 2008, 02:21 PM
mrMojoRisin
Hookah Nut

Default In public...

I was trying to do some of my own research on this, but I can't seem to find anything.

So I ask you, my hookah-loving friends. I was just wondering about the legality of smoking hookah in public in California. Can I smoke it at the beach? Can I smoke it between classes at college, like people do with cigarettes? Can i smoke it in the park? Outside a local coffee joint? Etc.

Any input would be great.

| 40" Temsah Caramana | [HOWTO] DIY Hookah Hose Hanger | Coffee Can Wind Cover |
Old February 14th, 2008, 02:48 PM
JillyIsJustKidding
Deleted Per User Request

Default Re: In public...

I've always been wanting to smoke out in public especially in between classes at my university.

But, I don't think you will be able to without professors, cops, passerbys, etc. without giving you a hard time about.

They're gonna automatically gonna think your using the hookah for smoking illegal substances and some people are really narrow-minded. Its cuz when they see any sort of water pipe, they automatically think its something used for illegal substances.

If you wanna try, go for it. But there is a chance your session will be cut short b/c of some people's stupidity.
Old February 14th, 2008, 02:50 PM
JillyIsJustKidding
Deleted Per User Request

I mean, I know hookahs are not illegal, especially in Cali cuz I live out there too. But, with how many drug busts there are nowadays, people are gonna be really suspicious.
Old February 14th, 2008, 02:51 PM
wishdrftr
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrMojoRisin
I was trying to do some of my own research on this, but I can't seem to find anything.

So I ask you, my hookah-loving friends. I was just wondering about the legality of smoking hookah in public in California. Can I smoke it at the beach? Can I smoke it between classes at college, like people do with cigarettes? Can i smoke it in the park? Outside a local coffee joint? Etc.

Any input would be great.
I'm not sure about California, but here in texas I've smoked at the beach, at the park, at my apartment pool area, and even in my car on campus and no ones questioned the legality of it. Once however at the pool a police officer that lives there stood over my shoulder watching (i'm sure it was to smell the smoke). Its totally a matter of whether or not you want people to look at you funny. That I get a lot!
Old February 14th, 2008, 02:54 PM
mrMojoRisin
Hookah Nut

I'm not really too concerned about getting funny looks, people can come ask me what it is and I'll inform them. I'm just concerned about getting hassled by the "authorities".

| 40" Temsah Caramana | [HOWTO] DIY Hookah Hose Hanger | Coffee Can Wind Cover |
Old February 14th, 2008, 02:57 PM
wishdrftr
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrMojoRisin
I'm not really too concerned about getting funny looks, people can come ask me what it is and I'll inform them. I'm just concerned about getting hassled by the "authorities".
I dont see any serious issues arising. Just keep your shisha on hand to show them what your smoking.
Old February 14th, 2008, 03:50 PM
austinthecity
Hookah Pro

shouldn't be a prob. smoke it up and educate the general population!
Old February 14th, 2008, 05:39 PM
Raid3n
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to Raid3n

i dunno about where everyone lives, but apparently here in colorado you can get fined for using it in public because its paraphernalia wow that was hard to spell lol. anyways even then i still smoke in my car during lunch and free periods with buds. im not all that bothered because obviously i have everything on me if im bothered by a cop lol
Old February 14th, 2008, 06:51 PM
nicog90
Hookah Newbie

Im pretty sure there wouldnt be anything wrong with it because its prefectly legal to smoke tobacco and it doesnt really matter what you smoke it out of from my understanding. I live right near Bekeley in California which is a pretty laid back city and cops dont really care about people smoking other things which im not gonna say so Im pretty sure it wouldnt matter for hookah either. But I guess it all depends where you live.
Old February 14th, 2008, 07:39 PM
Raid3n
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to Raid3n

yeah here they are pretty anal but still decently laid back. they wont bust you for many many minor things, unless your going at least 10 miles over the limit. still though they are kinda hard on drugs, if its seen or someone calls your screwed.
but as it was said earlier people are pretty retarded and assume hookahs are ***** so naturally something is done

**Edited for language unacceptable**
Old February 15th, 2008, 03:12 AM
Scoop
Hookah Guru

i used to smoke at coffee bean and all sorts of other places in public.

however recently ive been seeing alot of "smoke-free" areas, and its pissing me off.

i know santa monica community college is now a smoke free campus. ucla you can smoke but you have to be 15 feet away from a building.

we smoked at the hustler store alot, its just been cold and ive been sick (and i smoke at home too).

no one really cares besides the employees. the cops sometimes ask, but they rarely give a shit tbh
Old February 15th, 2008, 03:23 AM
mrMojoRisin
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoop
i used to smoke at coffee bean and all sorts of other places in public.
Where in CA do you live? I'm wondering because I work at a Coffee Bean.

And did they care that you were smoking there?

Old February 15th, 2008, 03:34 AM
Scoop
Hookah Guru

i live in LA.

we smoked at a whole bunch of them. i got one of the employees hooked on hookah. he'd take breaks and smoke with us.

employees were curious, we explained, they didn't care. this particular coffee bean had cops and fire department all the time. the only time ive had any of them talk to us was when they came up and asked what PSP game i was playing lol
Old February 15th, 2008, 04:15 AM
dmcwebd
Vendor

Send a message via MSN to dmcwebd

i dont know about the law in usa, but even though with the smoke ban in enclosed spaces, its still possible to do it out side.. i sometime go to park with some m8s... its nice as often ppl come and ask wth is that thing heheh.. so u should always bring some spare mouth tips if some ppl might want to try...
Old February 15th, 2008, 08:55 AM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

Great idea about bringing along some extra hose tips. I have a bag that I carry my hookah in and I keep a bunch of hose tips in it.

I haven't smoked mine out in public, but I would like to ... and maybe educate a few people at a time on what hookah really is!

Be prepared to do some explaining! People are very behind the times when it comes to traditional hookah. And always assume the worst. SO you will have to set them straight, and educated them on what it really is! And what it is really used for, and what is really smoked out of it, from traditional hookah smokers.

Cheers!

http://www.hookahpro.com - Hookah Pro Community - Hookah Forum
~Favorite Hookah~ Khalil Mamoon Amer .. (she leans, so I call her Eileen)
~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Al Fakher Mint, Al Fakher Orange, Al Fakher Cinnamon
HookahPro.com .. powered by Elites!
Old February 15th, 2008, 05:58 PM
HookahMaster
Hookah Pro

I don't live in Cali... but I smoke in my area outdoors all the time. As a matter of fact, most of the time... Cops have approached us on rare occasions and we just explain to them what it is and show them the shisha. Once they smell it and see it, they just walk away. Other times, we've had people and cops alike know exactly what a hookah is and they actually compliment ours on how nice it looks. If I was you, I wouldn't worry.

As long as you explain to people/cops what it is and show them what it is, they'll leave you alone. It's not illegal to smoke tobacco in public. Smoking hookah is no different to smoking a cigarette in that aspect. It just looks fancy or similar to something else that we're not allowed to mention here. Either way, as long as you explain it to them and show them what it is, you'll be fine.
Old February 15th, 2008, 08:46 PM
Cory
Hookah Newbie

I use my hookah outside alot while I grill, no one has said anything yet but I've gotten some weird looks lol
Old February 16th, 2008, 12:32 AM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

In my experience it doesn't really matter if it's legal to smoke a narghile in public. I got hassled by police when I did it and even threatened by mouth breathing defenders of public morality that thought I was some sort of dupe fiend out to wreck the neighborhood. What matters is the sort of cops yuo have locally and what sort of people notice you doing it.

You should note that on a lot of campuses narghiles are banned it really doesn't matter if they are legally able to be smoked in public or not. Basically, if don't smoke on your own property do so a friend's place and save yourself the hassle.
Old February 16th, 2008, 12:39 AM
dakingkevin23
Hookah Guru

Send a message via AIM to dakingkevin23

I smoke on a trail by my house at night, or creekside in the woods.
no one sees me, but if they do, they're usually smart enough to know it's hookah
Old February 16th, 2008, 02:48 PM
D-Szlos
Hookah Pro

I smoke at work during my luch breaks pretty often. just toss the hookah in my trucks toolbox and whip it our druing lunch, smoke with a few of the guys on the job site. But were allowed to smoke cigs while working so no one really cares about the hookah, and were randomly drug tested by our employer so evreyone knows that the smoke is kosher . The coolest place ive smoked in public was on top of a mountain with a few friends.
Old February 16th, 2008, 07:11 PM
FURsAKeN
Hookah Enthusiast

You have to stay away from the smoke free zones of course, but at the same time I think harassment from law enforcement would happen. I don't think onlookers would be a problem except the concerned parents thinking your doing drugs around their kids. But overall there aren't any laws about public smoking of the hookah that I am aware of in Cali.

/root
Old February 18th, 2008, 01:08 PM
poopooshaboo
Hookah Newbie

In salt lake city almost every coffee shop as long as you have an id saying you're over 18 will let you smoke on their patio.
Old February 18th, 2008, 01:22 PM
freepain
Hookah Newbie

Send a message via AIM to freepain

California is pretty forward thinking unlike Florida. Here its perfectly fine to smoke hookah pretty much anywhere on the beach in town at the coffee shops (haven't done it at starbucks yet but i want too) We went on a road trip up to st.Augustine and were perfectly fine smoking it in the middle of downtown with hundreds of people walking by and cops just looked and walked by no problems at all. To think of it I've never actually had a cop hassle me.
Old February 18th, 2008, 06:02 PM
JillyIsJustKidding
Deleted Per User Request

Hehe how friggen sweet! I found this on my university's policy page:

"SMOKING: Due to California University policy, smoking is prohibited in all of our buildings, student rooms, res. hallways, restrooms, lounges, stairs, balconies, volleyball and basketball courts and pool areas. Residents may only smoke \30 feet away from any building. This includes the use of smoking devices such as hookah pipes."

Awesome! That means I am able to smoke it! And I don't even smoke near any buildings and the parking lot where I usually smoke in my car is like a few hundred feet from the nearest building. Yay it means the school actually knows what a hookah is and that it is mainly used for only tobacco.

Hehe now, I think I'm gonna try to smoke while sitting on the grass under da trees! It seems really relaxing.

I know this policy goes for residents it says, but I highly doubt its any different from non residents who attend my school.
Old February 18th, 2008, 06:25 PM
mr2guy
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JillyIsJustKidding
Yay it means the school actually knows what a hookah is and that it is mainly used for only tobacco.
Lucky you, i have to hide mine in my closet in the dorm. RA's will freak if they find it lol. But i think it's worth the risk to be able to smoke
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook