Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

licence to smoke

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old February 15th, 2008, 04:07 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Default licence to smoke

It seems that the U.K. government is becoming more Orwellian with each passing day. The latest outrage is a requiring smokers buy a £200 licence to smoke ( nearly 400US). Now the funny thing is that smokers in every country I can think of pay very dearly for the privilege of smoking when we pay stratospheric taxes on all tobacco products and when you think about it we are without a doubt the most heavily taxed subset of consumers around. Anyway the plan has more problems and you can read about it here:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/10...oking_licence/
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...smoking123.xml
Old February 15th, 2008, 04:08 PM
larrypzlast
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to larrypzlast
Default Re: licence to smoke

New Mexico FOR THE WIN! Come on over its warm over here...
Old February 15th, 2008, 04:52 PM
mr2guy
Hookah Nut

That is absolutly crazy! I just pray it dosen't get that bad in the U.S.
Old February 15th, 2008, 04:59 PM
Scoop
Hookah Guru

i sure hope not, if that becomes the case ill become an underground smoker =/

license to smoke? : lame
Old February 15th, 2008, 07:16 PM
EV4N
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to EV4N

i just read the telegraph story on it and that is crazy. i mean it could never work if you think about one person has a license so he just buys 2 packs of cigs and sells one pack to his friend. and what doctor is just going to wright someone off saying that they are ok to smoke, it totally goes against everything a doctor is trying to do. and for what they are charging almost 400 US dollars for a license they should throw in a few things hell if i am paying that kinda money i would like a little bonus maybe a couple tubs of shisha or something
Old February 15th, 2008, 07:28 PM
Lakemonster
Hookah Enthusiast

Quote:
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL.......

Oh boy.... here we go.....
Old February 15th, 2008, 07:52 PM
bigguy
Hookah Nut

WOW,

Thanks for the info. I did not see this one comming.

Bigguy
Old February 15th, 2008, 09:05 PM
apathy101
Hookah Nut

Send a message via MSN to apathy101 Send a message via Yahoo to apathy101

so should we start referring to the U.K. as airstrip1? sorry had to take the orwell joke.
Old February 15th, 2008, 09:10 PM
wishdrftr
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by apathy101
so should we start referring to the U.K. as airstrip1? sorry had to take the orwell joke.
LMAO Hilarious!
Old February 15th, 2008, 09:31 PM
JillyIsJustKidding
Deleted Per User Request

OMFG! Are you serious? That is utterly ridiculous! I seriously hope that this never happens in the U.S or else that means I'm gonna have to kill someone! Lol jk but you know what I mean! I'd be pissed off. They already have speeding and red light tickets at like $300-$400, I think California has enough laws lol
Old February 15th, 2008, 10:41 PM
dakingkevin23
Hookah Guru

Send a message via AIM to dakingkevin23

wow. if that comes to america... i'm moving to somewhere else...
Old February 16th, 2008, 12:42 AM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Actually when I lived in New Mexico I loved most of what the state had to offer in terms food, physical beauty and the people were pretty laid back for the most part. What I did not like was the crapped out economy, gangs, racial issues, crooked cops and the hassles I got when i smoked in public. Still, New Mexico is overall one of the best places to live in the states provided you're not poor or poor but with a lot of family locally.

While I bitch a lot about the evils of what is happening in the U.S. and i'm glad to be gone i'd say the UK is clearly worse although America will be as bad in a few years.

In most ways the rest of Europa is bestter then the states at this point although the Baltics and Eastern Europa are the best of the region by far.

If the UK does impose this crazy license i'll bet the result will be about what happened when Canada went crazy with tobacco taxes. Basically, Canada created a huge black market which brought organized crime and violence with it.
Old February 16th, 2008, 07:49 AM
Frank Dux
Hookah Newbie

As someone who lives in the UK, this will never pass trust me. Also England has relaxed their no smoking indoors law, aslong as 60% of sales are only tobacco one can sample the tobacco in the store. I found this out at davidoff, they said that most places do not have 60% on tobacco only, but davidoff does, and all one has to say is theyt want to sample their purchase and you can smoke inside.
Old February 16th, 2008, 08:13 AM
Huskysibe
Hookah Master

I cant believe they would even suggest something so ridiculous.
Old February 16th, 2008, 08:42 AM
Frank Dux
Hookah Newbie

well the reason the smoking is becoming big in debates, is because the NHS National Health is giving free healthcare to the smokers who need a lot of care. basically it is eating up all the funds and since in the UK all citizens have free healthcare there is not enough money to go around so it is easier to stop the smoking eralier or make them basically pay and use that money for the NHS.
Old February 16th, 2008, 09:07 AM
Seth_DeNightshade
Hookah Nut

Which the money won't go to frank anyways

Old February 16th, 2008, 11:46 AM
Frank Dux
Hookah Newbie

heh, I get free NHS anyways thank god for the forces agreement act..lol
Old February 16th, 2008, 02:13 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Dux
well the reason the smoking is becoming big in debates, is because the NHS National Health is giving free healthcare to the smokers who need a lot of care. basically it is eating up all the funds and since in the UK all citizens have free healthcare there is not enough money to go around so it is easier to stop the smoking eralier or make them basically pay and use that money for the NHS.
I suspect that the NHS figures about health costs of smokers are as bogus as research condemning tobacco as a great health threat. I know for a fact that in the states smokers cost the public less in social security expenditures and pay far more in taxes then they consume with same being true for private insurance costs. If anyone wants to they can read J. Sullum's "For Your Own Good" to get the detailed cites and the Colby stuff I mention here confirms as much although without the depth of support.

It seems to me that on a basic level the issue is an ethical one. Namely, given that all European nations have public health one simply doesn't have the option of not paying the state for health services. That being the case it seems absurd to deny public goods and services to those that engage in any legal activity.

If we are to presume that the state can force payment for public goods and services while denying the taxpayer benefits based upon personal, legal life style choices then one is in essence giving the state free reign to regulate any personal behavior likely to increase the cost of public services. If we take such thinking to itís logical conclusion I see totalitarianism as the outcome. For example, given the threat of lethargy to oneís health the state should be able to decree how long one should be able to watch TV or be online. Like wise the government should be able to ban fatty foods or limit oneís caloric intake and limit alcohol consumption. If one read up on the life expectancy of homosexuals and the associated costs of treating aliments commonly associated with such behavior one can logically come to the conclusion that the state should be able to ban various forms of sexual behavior on the basis of NHS expenses.

Obvious the scenario I described will not come to pass for the simple reason that such a consistent policy would be logically constant rather then the product of lobbying by powerful cliques of cultural bolsheviks which is what drives the Western world these days.

I hope of course this inane proposal does not gain force of law but seeing the authoritarian nature of the UK these days I woulsn't be shocked to hear it became government policy.
Old February 16th, 2008, 04:04 PM
FlyingRock
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrypzlast
Where in NM are you at? i'm in ABQ
Old February 16th, 2008, 07:02 PM
FURsAKeN
Hookah Enthusiast

Wow, so pretty much the money I pay for my JCI (car insurance) would be equal to having to buy some ridiculous license?! I'm sure if the UK is doing it its bound to come to the US, we tend to circle jerk each other on matters like this. But seriously how much gayer can this tobacco nonsense get?

/root
Old February 17th, 2008, 01:26 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

The licence blather isn't the worst i've heard of by far. A friend of mine was fired from his job for smoking a narghile because it was claimed that tobacco used violated some employment contract clause about projecting a positive image for the company outside of the office.

I've know others who've had their health insurance taken away and denied the coverage they paid for when they needed it because they were smokers. Even though they indicated they were smokers when they signed up and their claims had nothing to do with anything tobacco related they go stuck with a bunch of bills and no coverage despite having paid for it.

I also knew a guy that lost his child during divorce to his alcoholic ex-wife for no other reason then that he was a) male and b) a smoker. The judge even mentioned that she thought it was child abuse to expose a kid to second hand smoke. Apparently she read something in a newspaper once that said as much and that was all the proof she needed. My pal's ex later killed the child in a drunk riving incident although she was just fine afterwards and has since remarried and has two more children.

All those incidents happened in the good ol' USofA.
Old February 17th, 2008, 01:35 PM
dmcwebd
Vendor

Send a message via MSN to dmcwebd

this sucks.. i wont pay for it.. as i dont smoke in public so how would they find out
Old February 17th, 2008, 03:23 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Basically the way it works is that when you go to buy tobacco you have to give the retailer your licence or he won't sell to you. It's kind of like trying to buy beer if you're under-aged or buying guns through the mail without a FFL in the states.
Old February 17th, 2008, 03:33 PM
dmcwebd
Vendor

Send a message via MSN to dmcwebd

do you think they will ask for shisha tobacco? lucky i know both owners of the shops i buy
Old February 18th, 2008, 10:52 PM
rob87
Banned

Send a message via AIM to rob87

stand up for ur rights!
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook