Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Help me pick my first hookah please :)

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old June 3rd, 2010, 04:51 PM
unirox13
Hookah Newbie

Default Help me pick my first hookah please :)

First off, sorry about all the newbie questions that I'm about to ask but I really enjoy being educated on a subject before seriously jumping into it. I'va been smoking hookah about a year now and have have decided to purchase my own. I have it narrowed down to a few choices.

Now for a few random questions. What is a phunnel bowl and what makes it different/more special than a regular bowl? Also what are some oher types of bowls and what are pros and cons of them?
Is KM pretty much the top of the line hookah on the market today?

Now for my potential hookah choices. Please give me pros and cons of each of these and tell me which you think would be best. Also I plan on getting a nammor hose to use with whichever hookah I get so of you could tell me whether or not the nammor hose would work with these I'd be much obliged. Last but not least, if you decide to recommend a hookah I don't have on my list could you please post a link to it.

Mya qt
http://www.hookah-shisha.com/p-184-m...se-hookah.html

nammor azizi
http://www.hookah-shisha.com/p-6058-...or-Hookah.html

km tefnut
http://www.hookah-shisha.com/p-6200-...se-hookah.html

aladdin
http://www.hookah-shisha.com/p-1555-...se-hookah.html

Thank you all so much for your input and dealing with my newbie-ness, I really appreciate it
Old June 3rd, 2010, 05:41 PM
unirox13
Hookah Newbie

Default Re: Help me pick my first hookah please :)

Well after being a little less of a dumba** and reading the newbie sticky I have answers to most of the quetions in my post. However feel free to reanswer them if you wish. I would still love some input on which of those hookahs you think are best though.

Thanks a lot
max
Old June 3rd, 2010, 05:58 PM
brybry642
Hookah Nut

Out of the four hookahs that you listed, my two favorites are the KM and the Nammor. Keep in mind that the Nammor comes with the hose (a $20 value) which you said that you already intend to buy anyways...some spending money for some other goodies.

First, a normal bowl has holes going through the bottom. Juices tend to seap down into your stem making an unnecessary mess. For wet tobacco, AF/Starbuzz, a phunnel or vortex has a spire in the middle of the bowl. The phunnel having a single large hole in the top of the spire allowing the smoke to pull through and the vortex having 4 holes around the outside of the spire where the smoke will pull through. Either bowl is a favorite here, I can vouch for the Vortex, I love mine.

And yes, KM are regarded as some of the best hookahs around.

One thing that you didnt ask about is coals. Get yourself a box of coconaras (108 count) and a $10 single coil burner from walmart (unless your stove already has one). Natural coals may take longer to light but they are well worth the extra effort!

Hope this might help.
Old June 3rd, 2010, 06:27 PM
texashookah91
Hookah Nut

Km all the way. Shop around some you might be able to find a km stem, and a separate vase, for less money than an already completed hookah. Good luck!
Old June 3rd, 2010, 07:49 PM
BJNeville
Hookah Newbie

the KM, without a doubt. Their reputation is outstanding, as well as the quality of their products.
Old June 3rd, 2010, 08:42 PM
Coyotero
Hookah Guru

I'd go for the nammor.

That particular KM, having handled one in person, the Pharaoh's head looks really cheesy, poorly cast and poorly painted. Other than that I'm sure it smokes great.

The nammor is a great buy, it's an egyptian pipe with quality that is going to be close to the KM, if not equivalent. If you use your forum discount code the price is also extremely attractive.

I'm not a fan of MYA but they do have a dedicated following.

As to the last pipe on the list, it looks pretty cheap to me.

So yeah, Nammor gets my vote.

Darth Coyote, Executor of EGOB and the Black Leaf Brotherhood.
Old June 3rd, 2010, 09:01 PM
gus1992
Hookah Newbie

totally agree, go for km
Old June 3rd, 2010, 09:11 PM
Scarcity
Hookah Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by unirox13 View Post
First off, sorry about all the newbie questions that I'm about to ask but I really enjoy being educated on a subject before seriously jumping into it. I'va been smoking hookah about a year now and have have decided to purchase my own. I have it narrowed down to a few choices.

Now for a few random questions. What is a phunnel bowl and what makes it different/more special than a regular bowl? Also what are some oher types of bowls and what are pros and cons of them?
Is KM pretty much the top of the line hookah on the market today?

Now for my potential hookah choices. Please give me pros and cons of each of these and tell me which you think would be best. Also I plan on getting a nammor hose to use with whichever hookah I get so of you could tell me whether or not the nammor hose would work with these I'd be much obliged. Last but not least, if you decide to recommend a hookah I don't have on my list could you please post a link to it.

Mya qt
http://www.hookah-shisha.com/p-184-m...se-hookah.html

nammor azizi
http://www.hookah-shisha.com/p-6058-...or-Hookah.html

km tefnut
http://www.hookah-shisha.com/p-6200-...se-hookah.html

aladdin
http://www.hookah-shisha.com/p-1555-...se-hookah.html

Thank you all so much for your input and dealing with my newbie-ness, I really appreciate it
Here we go! :3

Phunnel holds the juices of the tobacco in the tobacco due to shape of the bowl. It also increases surface area which gives more precision in heat management. A con to the phunnel is learning curve (Foil) and tobacco usage, which both have a work around(Alien, binder clips). It is my favorite bowl. Google the Alien Phunnel Bowl if you want to preserve some tobacco but keep the perks of the phunnel. Also, some miniclip binder clips work to hold the foil if you can't do it too well yourself.
The vortex is another favorite around here. It similar to the phunnel in the way that is a juice preserver. I, personally, do not like how deep it is. The holes have a certain inconsistency, some are lower, which complicates packing and also, if the holes are low enough, is detrimental to the design. Although it is on the easier side to learn to use.
I don't think the crown bowl is for sale anymore, so I won't go into that on

KM is the fanboy favorite, with a seemingly blind following here. It is a great smoker with erratic quality, which is a huge bummer IMO. Again, I'm not not recommending a KM, I just want you to know there are equally good smokers as KM with a better distribution of quality. (syrian brass for instance!)

I think the Nammor would be the best catch for a starting hookah. The pharaoh looks really lame IMO. Also the nammor comes with the Nammor hose, which is a good deal. QT is fine, but I think the overall quality of the nammor is better.
Old June 3rd, 2010, 09:46 PM
fatdom22
Hookah Nut

ok, out of the 4 you have listed i would stay away from the Aladdin for sure. secondly the KM you picked out is one of the mini KM hookahs, i have not personally handled one but i have heard they are of much lesser quality than most KM's i could be wrong i am no expert. The mya QT is a great little hookah i own one and it smokes fantastically. In your situation id go with the Nammor azizi as it comes with the nammor hose you already intended on purchasing, 2 of my friends have the exact hookah, and 1 other has a different nammor hookah and they all smoke great, they arent KM's but they definitely get the job done and are a great price for what you get.
Old June 4th, 2010, 12:20 AM
Elco
Hookah Nut

I agree with brybry. Nammor hookahs are good hookahs. Granted KM are SOMETIMES better. But just because they are famous in the hookah world that doesn't mean that other hookahs are bad. I myself have an Aladin and Im fond of it. In a couple of days I will get my large Nammor hose so then it will be even greater. But I stray from the subject.. my advise is listen to brybry.
Old June 4th, 2010, 02:42 AM
Geolas
Hookah Newbie

Just FYI, Nammors aren't made in Egypt. They are Egyptian Hookahs made in Jordan. Atleast that is the answeri received when i ask about whether their hookahs are KM stems.

The Nammor will fit any hookahs that Hookah-Shisha sells.

I personally like the look of the KM better. But the Nammor is a better buy since it already comes with a Nammor Hose. I would email H-S and confirm if the Azizi is the v2. The original Nammor Hookahs weren't that good. The "new" Nammors has a wider down stem to match KM's.

I would suggest to get Ivory Coast as one of the Rommans Flavors. And definitely CocoNaras. They are the best coals!

Bowl wise. I only have experience with the Havanna Phunnel Bowls. They aren't as good as the original Tangiers from what i hear.

I like the Phunnels but they use a lot of shisha. I hear Vortex are quite deep and use a lot of shisha too. But they make it much better when cleaning. No leaky juices.
Old June 4th, 2010, 05:35 AM
shak2ruff
Hookah Nut

i would go with aladdin, the wealding and purge valve beat any other i have used
Old June 4th, 2010, 08:36 AM
brybry642
Hookah Nut

Note to self: Do not buy a hookah for it's purge valve.
Old June 4th, 2010, 09:21 AM
helema27
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatdom22 View Post
ok, out of the 4 you have listed i would stay away from the Aladdin for sure. secondly the KM you picked out is one of the mini KM hookahs, i have not personally handled one but i have heard they are of much lesser quality than most KM's i could be wrong i am no expert. The mya QT is a great little hookah i own one and it smokes fantastically. In your situation id go with the Nammor azizi as it comes with the nammor hose you already intended on purchasing, 2 of my friends have the exact hookah, and 1 other has a different nammor hookah and they all smoke great, they arent KM's but they definitely get the job done and are a great price for what you get.
see i was bou tto say go for the aladdin too!! its nice looking and the base isnt as narrow as a coupl eof the others!you dont want a base thats too narrow from what i heard the smoke cloud is smaller and it starts tasteing funny if you don tclean i teverytime you use it!! i have a 26 inch with a bigger base that all of these AND only gotta clean it every 4 -5 uses!
Old June 4th, 2010, 09:27 AM
ariberns
Hookah Master

The Mini KM's not so good
i would say if your the type of person that just wants to get their feet wet get the QT
if you want to jump in head first...forget that KM and get a full size one
of all the hookahs you have listed there, the nammor is probably the best one, but the QT is an excellent first hookah
Old June 4th, 2010, 09:29 AM
helema27
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by shak2ruff View Post
i would go with aladdin, the wealding and purge valve beat any other i have used
my purge valve screws off so you can put an adapter on it for another hose!! i got a delux model. you dont really nead a purge valve if you are smoken with someone or sitting there smoken by yourself and arent goin to walk away for more than a few mins. id say buy one for the size of its base and what you wanna do with it ie is it for home or to take with you!! also make sure it has extra seeling gaskets and a washable hose and a nice sized bowl for the top!! you also want the stem to be easy to clean with hookah brushes!! you need hookah brushes an donly use mild soap wiht it AND rinse it out and clean it at least every 3-4 uses for smaller bases and 5-6 uses for larger bases ,you only have to change the water on all but one of the cleanings in the month you MUST clean the stem and basen with thye brushes once or twice amonth to prevent buildup unless you plan on smoken it more than once or twice in a day!! have fun gettin buzzed!!
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook