Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

My adventures with UPS

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old June 5th, 2010, 12:02 PM
PBRpunx14
Hookah Pro

Default My adventures with UPS

My package from HookahStore arrived yesterday! but no one was home to sign for it, so UPS stickied their little note on the outside of my front door (the glass door, not the wooden one behind it). it stormed most of the day, heavy downpour, so by the time i got home from work, my sticky note was kind of a pulpy mush on the glass, but i was able to get the number from the bottom. i went to their website, entered my number, and came up with 4 options:
(1) let them haphazardly try again to deliver it, most likely at times when we're both at work. 3 failed delivery attempts = return to sender.
(2) will-call pick up from the 'local' customer care center. same day available
(3) pay them extra to deliver my package when i'll be home
(4) return to sender

obviously options 1 and 4 are not what i'm looking for here... and i really wanted my new hookah, so option 2 it is. after a couple minutes of searching, i find out that my 'local' customer care center is 35 miles away. that's not actually the bad part, as one of my best friends lives 3 minutes away from their location, and 33 miles of that is straight interstate. i send them my phone number and will-call request and await their call. 45 minutes later (this makes it about 4:45 on friday afternoon, i receive the call that my package will be available there at 7:15. after triple checking that i would actually be able to claim my package at that time despite their website saying that they close at 6, i make plans with my friend and head up there. got up there at 7:30, and found the guarded entrance. i know that we want safety in shipping, but this place looked like a prison.

there was a small group of people standing around in front of it, so we walked over there to investigate further. the guard house was manned by 3 amazing individuals who obviously did not want to spend their friday evening helping anyone. there's 2 guards, one to check people coming in, and one to check employees leaving (metal detectors both ways). since none of us were actually entering, the incoming guard was lounging and eating a donut. the third attendant was a snippy woman who was apparently the only person actually dealing with package claims. i signed in on her clipboard and she told me that "in a minute she'd see if she could find it." then she stood around and chatted with the guards, apparently waiting to see if anyone else showed up so she didn't have to make 2 trips. another lady showed up for her package, and i directed her to the package minion. eventually, she went to search for our packages.

15 minutes later, she comes back with 3 boxes on a little dolly. while we're waiting, several employees exited, but did not leave. they hung around about 5' from where we were waiting, smoking cigarettes and loudly cursing their jobs. i understand that you just got off of work, but we're all still customers. the cursing won't bother me one bit, but the lady next to me's eyes shot up very big at the first (of many) F-bombs. very professional UPS. another lady arrived for her package, waved to the package troll and was handed a package... 30 seconds and gone while i've been waiting here almost half an hour at this point. the lovely package woman chatted with the guards a little more, bumbled around for a minute or so, then seemingly remembered that we were still waiting on her. checked our IDs and finally gave us our packages.

enchilladas, a couple beers, and my beautiful new KM helped to smooth over my annoyance. got back to my place at about 1:30, excitedly opened my package... maybe got a little too excited and packed up a bowl. made it to bed somewhere around 4am.

thankfully my package arrived in great shape, but i hope this is not an ordeal i'll have to go through again anytime soon.
Old June 5th, 2010, 12:49 PM
Nick
Deleted Per User Request

Default Re: My adventures with UPS

I hate every shipping service... Just leave my package on my porch... In stead of driving around for a week coming at extremely different times each day making it impossible to be there when you are, to hear you knock on the door with the smallest effort possible.
Old June 5th, 2010, 01:05 PM
SoWz
Hookah Pro

That is a crazy process, but worthwhile to go claim your KM.
Old June 5th, 2010, 01:47 PM
britjh22
Hookah Nut

Yeah, I almost never hear delivery services when they knock, so I just sign the thing to have them leave it the next time they come. A lot of people probably don't think it's a good idea, but I live with a bunch of people, so odds are with everyone coming and going on different schedules someone will see it and bring it inside.

The other day though, I think the UPS guy opened our door and put the package inside, which I'm actually thankful for. I had signed the slip for them to leave it, and it was starting to rain, so I think he just dropped it inside.
Old June 5th, 2010, 02:02 PM
rideordie81
Hookah Master

God thats awful. Last time i ordered something off hookah-shisha it was sent to my friends house kuz he owed me and we werent thinking and made the billing and shipping addresses the same. but there was no problems, the ups guy came late afternoon when my friend was home so he got it immediately with no issues
Old June 5th, 2010, 02:33 PM
Dusty62
Hookah Aficionado

I had an order come UPS not too long ago that I kept tracking on UPS's tracking site. Right before getting off work the site said it was out for delivery. I was super pumped. I got home about 6:20 and looked around my house . . . no package yet. So, I went in and did all the "just got home from work" crap that ya just gotta do. Took me about an hour to do all of that so I hopped onto my computer and checked out the tracking site again. Ohhhhhhh . . . it said my pkg had been delivered at 6:30. Wooo hooo. I ran outside to check by each door. Confused, I looked around me as I realized that there were no packages whatsoever. Ok, I said, I know I've heard of them leaving at wrong addresses before, so I start walking down the street, just looking at each house to see if there were an unattended box sitting anywhere. Lo and behold, right next door, at the address numerically previous to mine, was my box. Now, my address was printed very clearly on the package. The house number right beside the door on the house where they left the package was, amazingly, two digits off from the one printed on the package, ie, I'm 1403 and it was left at 1401 . . . a literal walk of 35 feet from where it was left to where it was supposed to be. I know the UPS delivery guy and when he walked up the steps to deliver the package he was eye to numerals with the house address. No excuse whatsoever for leaving it at the wrong house. Luckily my neighbor is really nice and I had no problem just grabbing my package so this one turned out lucky. Smoke happy.

dus'
Old June 5th, 2010, 05:44 PM
Party_Clown
Hookah Nut

I never have any problem with UPS, Fedex is a different story though, if I am not home they leave it on the other side of my gate in a plastic bag (if my gate is not open) and if it is open they put it on my front step. And the delivery guy is crazy nice! So sorry that you had a bad experience with them, but hey I bet the KM made all the troubles fade away and now you have a fun story to tell people when they smoke out of it!
Old June 5th, 2010, 05:59 PM
buzzin starbuzz
Hookah Newbie

that sucks. ive never had any troubles before
Old June 5th, 2010, 06:04 PM
tmv8888
Hookah Pro

wierd, ive never had issues with UPS or fedex. they always just leave the package on my door. they'll ring the bell, then walk away. If no one is home its not a big deal. I just get the package when i get home from work.
Old June 5th, 2010, 06:06 PM
Nat-Attack03
Hookah Newbie

That sucks :/ I've never had problems with ups or fedex! Maybe next time will be better for you!
Old June 6th, 2010, 11:20 PM
VShadowHeart
Hookah Nut

I can't stand ups, they have been nothing but bad experiences on my part lol. My last order I had the UPS man come up to me and ask if he could just leave my neighbors package with me so he didn't have to come back tomorrow lol, I took it and gave it to her later that night (Ill take any excuse to talk to a smoken hot woman lol.) I imagine I would have been pissed though if I found that my package just got trusted to some dude who happened to live next door to me.
Old June 6th, 2010, 11:47 PM
End3r
Hookah Nut

Seems like it might depend on the local truck driver. I too have had nothing but good experiences with UPS. USPS shipping on the other hand...
Old June 7th, 2010, 12:39 AM
Mike
Hookah Enthusiast

Yeah that sux.. Better luck next time. Congrats on the new rig, tho.

Smoke On!!!

Old June 7th, 2010, 12:47 AM
matchbox
Hookah Nut

ups has been bad for me aswell i had orderd some stuff about a year ago and on the day it was to be delivered i was standing on my porch and watched the guy drive by and not come back so i got on line to track it about an hour later and it said he could not find the address it took me an extra 3 days to get it and when i did i had to go to the nearest office and pay $5 bucks extra to get it from them. was really pissed and would rather not deal with them again
Old June 7th, 2010, 01:52 AM
mvillan1
Hookah Nut

sometimes i leave a signed not saying to leave it on the porch and they usually do it.... you should try that next time if you trust your neighbors
Old June 8th, 2010, 02:13 PM
hrsyinc
Hookah Newbie

My UPS man just leaves my packages in the garage if no one answers the door, not a bad deal most of the time unless my stepmom tries to run it over like she did the last time. Luckily she noticed the box at the last second.
Old June 8th, 2010, 03:48 PM
sharpy_77
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Party_Clown View Post
I never have any problem with UPS, Fedex is a different story though, if I am not home they leave it on the other side of my gate in a plastic bag (if my gate is not open) and if it is open they put it on my front step. And the delivery guy is crazy nice! So sorry that you had a bad experience with them, but hey I bet the KM made all the troubles fade away and now you have a fun story to tell people when they smoke out of it!

its opposite for me..as i live in canada.. fed-ex is the best way to go.. UPS sucks for canadians because of their huge brokerage fees they make you pay for crossing the boarder.. have not had that issue with Fed-Ex (yet).. but most things come UPS anyways..

im not complaining about their service.. because its fast enough, it just sucks they rape you on the customs charges when they dont have to.
Old June 8th, 2010, 07:22 PM
chewymatingcall
Hookah Pro

If you feel like being a pain in their butt call their manager and complain
Old June 8th, 2010, 09:42 PM
trptguy007
Hookah Nut

honestly i have never had a problem with ups, usps, or even fedex. I'm particularly fond of usps priority shipping. I placed an order on wednesday, shipped thrusday, and arrived friday to my amazement. Plus, they left it at the door which was great. I live in an apartment so i wasn't too worried about other people, and obviously bad weather. I love the tracking feature from fedex and ups because they give you a reliable arrival time.
Old June 8th, 2010, 10:49 PM
technojunkie
Hookah Nut

UPS distribution center.....

.....well there's your problem.

Don't expect anyone to be nice to you, courteously require a signature, or promptly retrieve your packages. I figure they're all like truckers there....except they work in an office.
Old June 9th, 2010, 09:24 AM
helema27
Hookah Nut

ups is usually nice so is fedex. but i do run into problems occasionally!! i ordered a pc and they were delivering it... i got all excited and opened my door when the truck arrived only to see the guy tossing my packages to the front o fhis truck!! i had to keep myself from chewing him out!! thank god the pc company put plenty o fbubblwe wrap and foam around the pc and monitor!!
Old June 9th, 2010, 12:49 PM
linerndunch110
Hookah Master

i dislike shipping companys for this reason. i always make sure im home when they come. I kinda have the trucks route down so usually ill go ask them if they have my package and get it then. i live in a city though so you may not have that conviencence
Old June 9th, 2010, 12:51 PM
ariberns
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
I hate every shipping service... Just leave my package on my porch... In stead of driving around for a week coming at extremely different times each day making it impossible to be there when you are, to hear you knock on the door with the smallest effort possible.
they knock and start heading back to the truck to leave i always have to bolt for the door, fling it open and yell "HELLO I AM HOME!!!!"
they dont even wait a single second, not even 1 mississippi
Old June 9th, 2010, 01:05 PM
helema27
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariberns View Post
they knock and start heading back to the truck to leave i always have to bolt for the door, fling it open and yell "HELLO I AM HOME!!!!"
they dont even wait a single second, not even 1 mississippi
they do that here too and the guy waives at me when i open th edoor...the usps guy has the manners to knock an dmake sure i can handle the package he even offered to put my coconaras in the door cause he thought they were heavy!! ups and fedex just toss n run after a half hearted knock to show you they are there....yuh like im gonna show at the door with a samari sword and make a funny sounding war cry as i swing it over my head?
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook