Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

For all those that use 3 kings, or any quick lites for that matter, READ!

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old February 21st, 2008, 03:16 PM
chada618
Hookah Newbie

Default For all those that use 3 kings, or any quick lites for that matter, READ!

so ive been a hookah junkie for a while now and have only known about 3 kings coal...theyre easy to light, very conveniant...couple of things i always noticed with them however is that they dont last as long as id like them to last and secondly, and more importantly, the taste of the hookah flavor is extremely light, almost nonexistant and i use starbuzz.. i never understood how i could never get my hookah flavoring to be as good as some of the better hookah bars in my area... so one day im driving, and to my surprise i see a small Arab hookah shop, so i went inside and told the guy the problem and he told me about these wooden charcoals i believe? the whole bag is written in arabic.. he said once u use these, you'll never go back to 3 kings... and wow was he right.. took about 10 minutes to light, but man was it worth it... i lit up 2 hookas for some friends and i, starbuzz guava in one, and starbuzz apple in the other.. and wow the taste was insane... AND it lasted sooo much longer than 3 kings, AND i got a huge bag for a dollar! ok im writing too much, but heres the bottom line, for all those that swear by 3 kings, try wooden charcoal, or the coals that take longer to light, exoticas come to mind?.. once u go with those, u will not go back to 3 kings!
Old February 21st, 2008, 03:39 PM
sammniamii
Hookah Guru

Default Re: For all those that use 3 kings, or any quick lites for that matter, READ!

Most people who switch to naturals never want to go back to QL's. Can you post a picture of the bag?
Old February 21st, 2008, 03:58 PM
austinthecity
Hookah Pro

Default Re: For all those that use 3 kings, or any quick lites for that matter, READ!

yea, i want to try naturals, but QL's are SOOO CONVENIENT!
Old February 21st, 2008, 04:06 PM
shishaholiC
Hookah Pro

Most of us go through that stage at some point. That moment for me was in summer (8 months ago) cz i had that little extra time to spend on my hookah. If you 've only smoked QL you dont know what you are missing. IMO (and in order of importance) for a good session you need to have : GOOD SHISHA, GOOD NATURAL COAL (some ql's can get close but never on par) and A CLEAN HOSE. If you got those 3 even with basic knowlagde you can get awesome seesions.
Nowadays I usually use bulk wooden charcoal (NOTE: not briquettes) and when naturals is not a option i either use ASTERI (greek QL coals) or belgian tablets (the 40mm ones) and all my friends chose my place over any hookah lounge in the country.
Note: using 4-5 tiny pieces always tastes better but harder to manage. It takes a bit of time to learn when to ash or add/remove a coal but when you get it right you 'll know.
Cheers
Old February 21st, 2008, 04:21 PM
seth25846
Hookah Newbie

Awesome! I noticed that I could never get the flavor that I got at my friends house when I first got into hookah (he used naturals) and I figured it was because of the coals he was using, but I've never bothered to make the switch.

I think i'll have to order me some new coals pretty soon.
Old February 21st, 2008, 04:33 PM
JillyIsJustKidding
Deleted Per User Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammniamii
Most people who switch to naturals never want to go back to QL's. Can you post a picture of the bag?
I agree! But, sometimes when I have sessions when I don't wanna light up exoticas, I just light up 3 kings. So far, they are the best QL i've ever tried. I've tried stralights for months and then I realized how bad they are compared to 3K.

Starlights smell horrible upon lighting and 3K smells way better compared. SL ash way too much and they don't even last long at all. O yeah and it leaves a more worse taste than 3k
Old February 21st, 2008, 04:37 PM
larrypzlast
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to larrypzlast

I hate QL's with the burning passion of 1,000 suns .
Old February 21st, 2008, 04:44 PM
chada618
Hookah Newbie

ill definitely get a picture up as soon as i can.. if it helps, its an orange plastic bag with arabic writing .. i dont think its a brand anyone has ever talked about on the forums.. but for $1, im in love lol.. hookah was so smooth
Old February 21st, 2008, 04:46 PM
larrypzlast
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to larrypzlast

Those might be some Syrian Naturals. I think there is a box that fits that description kinda on hookah-shisha.com. I'd look but I gotta run
Old February 21st, 2008, 04:56 PM
chada618
Hookah Newbie

oh ya one more thing, theyre from Egypt
Old February 21st, 2008, 05:01 PM
wishdrftr
Hookah Nut

I used exotica's and roman lemonwood coals for a while but I haven't had money lately so I've been burning of the excess 3k's I've got.
Old February 21st, 2008, 05:07 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

I keep some quicklights (Goldens) on hand, for when I can't get a heat source to heat up my naturals, or if I am just feeling lazy!

But most of the time I use naturals, they just provide a better smoke! Exoticas have been my main coal of choice for a few months now ... I got some other ones from Bilal that I need to try though, I am actually looking forward to trying them, I may try them Friday night .. I believe they were called Al Hambra and they are Olive Wood Coals.

Cheers!

http://www.hookahpro.com - Hookah Pro Community - Hookah Forum
~Favorite Hookah~ Khalil Mamoon Amer .. (she leans, so I call her Eileen)
~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Al Fakher Mint, Al Fakher Orange, Al Fakher Cinnamon
HookahPro.com .. powered by Elites!
Old February 21st, 2008, 05:09 PM
lawngnome
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to lawngnome

can u light exoticas with a normal flame maybe from a candle or do u have to put them on a stove like surface
Old February 21st, 2008, 05:18 PM
wishdrftr
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawngnome
can u light exoticas with a normal flame maybe from a candle or do u have to put them on a stove like surface
Stove would be pretty much necessary. Or a torch, thats what I use sometimes.
Old February 21st, 2008, 05:24 PM
daedra
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to daedra

Quote:
you need to put them on a stove for sure. usually for about 5-10 minutes then they are ready to use. a way to check is to look for any black spots left, if there are black spots left, it needs to be kept on the stove a bit longer until the entire thing is red hot.
Old February 21st, 2008, 06:58 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

Quote:
Negative! It would take FOREVER! A stove would work, I use an electric stove, gas would work too.

http://www.hookahpro.com - Hookah Pro Community - Hookah Forum
~Favorite Hookah~ Khalil Mamoon Amer .. (she leans, so I call her Eileen)
~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Al Fakher Mint, Al Fakher Orange, Al Fakher Cinnamon
HookahPro.com .. powered by Elites!
Old February 21st, 2008, 07:15 PM
Dunkel
Bad Motherf^&*er!

I can relate to this. I have been using Exotica coals for 6 months or so. Before that I used mostly QL's Golden 33mm and Pharaoh's Elites mainly. I ran out of Exoticas in the box I have in my smoking area and was too lazy to cut and break a new box so i grabbed a QL. It took awhile longer for the coal to catch then I remember. After the coal ashed over I put it on the bowl and took a couple of pulls and it tasted nasty. You really don't know how nasty a QL tastes until you switch from using naturals for awhile. I'll never ever use a QL again.
Old February 22nd, 2008, 12:27 AM
nicog90
Hookah Newbie

THe only other coals Ive used besides 3 kings are Japanese Easy lites. I can taste the shisha alot more with the 3 kings. But I definately wanna try out Exoticas when I get the chance.
Old February 22nd, 2008, 01:29 AM
dakingkevin23
Hookah Guru

Send a message via AIM to dakingkevin23

my first coal was an akhla, then i switched to jap easy lites, and from that to exoticas and diamontes and nours, and i tried 3k just 30 minutes ago. For some reason when i light it, the dome side never lights up. Anyone know why?
Old February 22nd, 2008, 04:30 AM
dmcwebd
Vendor

Send a message via MSN to dmcwebd

yeah natural rocks.. but the only natural that i really like is soo hard to find that i havent found for about 6 months.. should be coming in stock soon, its called the al nahkla 100% natural (100% meaning its not processed natural) thats the kind they use in the hookah bars in uk, well most of them, and its sooo good,

so i only use QL when i'm lazy to light the natural and i shouldnt be as i use a really cool gas torch which it lights so damm fast
Old February 22nd, 2008, 10:43 AM
seth25846
Hookah Newbie

Just bought some coconara's a little while ago. Can't wait for them to get here 8)
Old February 23rd, 2008, 03:58 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

No doubt that natural coals are better but you best be ready to spend about 10 minutes to get the coals going. The biggest mistake in terms of set I see often is smoking before the coals are fully cooked. Partly lighted coals will give you a bad session and make you sick.
Old February 23rd, 2008, 04:52 PM
jbrandona119
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by seth25846
Just bought some coconara's a little while ago. Can't wait for them to get here 8)
same 8)

should be in by monday
Old February 23rd, 2008, 05:07 PM
sexyghost
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to sexyghost Send a message via MSN to sexyghost

G.L.E.= Gotta Love Exotica's 8)
Old February 23rd, 2008, 05:24 PM
HookahMaster
Hookah Pro

I think for some people, it's definetly possible for them to fall in love with natural coals and never use quick light coals again. But for me, this just isn't the case at all. I used to smoke with Three Kings religiously, until I tried Golden Coals. These are a little better than Three Kings. However, regardless of which brand, flavor weakness simply wasn't an issue. You must have been prepping the bowl or doing something else wrong for flavor weakness to happen. Coals don't really affect flavor strength. They affect taste and harshness.

I've tried Exotica coals (which are natural). I've put them to the test by smoking back to back against the Golden Coals I usually use. Eveything was controlled and set up in the same matter. I can honestly say, that I didn't taste a single difference between the two. Sure, the Exotica's lasted longer. However, I nor my girlfriend could taste a difference. I use Starbuzz as well, and on both tests it tasted the exact same way.

I prefer to smoke quicklights because they're much less of a hassle in general and as far as I can tell taste the same as Exotica's which is "supposed" to be one of the best natural coal brands on the market.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook