Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

The not so good side to narghile smoking, part 1

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old June 20th, 2007, 05:53 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Default The not so good side to narghile smoking, part 1

The not so good side to narghile smoking

The last couple of days have not been so great as far as shisha goes. The first hassle:

I went into a pharmacy a couple of days ago to buy some licorice and titralac wearing a tee-shirt I got near the Fishawi coffee shop which has a picture of a narghile and lots of Arabic script. While I was looking over stuff some short, arrogant looking guy walks by me and says “fuckin’ *** head shit” and spits at me. After I wipe the spit off my face I say “what the hell’s wrong with you?”. I was so damn mad it was hard not to strangle him and he steps up into my face screaming something about slackers.

A clerk and some manager type show up telling us that we need to leave. The short, arrogant looking guy starts in on the store dudes babbling about potheads and I start to walk away when the guy punches me in the back of the head. I was dazed so didn’t do anything for a bit but when I looked up the guy was running out the front door and the store guys are yelling and heading towards the phone. I follow the short, arrogant looking guy as he runs through the parking lot but he was a lot faster then I am (as is almost everyone) so he was out of site pretty quickly.

The cops show up about 20 minutes latter and say will keep an eye out for him but not to expect much. I was also told that shouldn’t wear “stoner stuff” unless I want trouble.
Old June 20th, 2007, 08:01 PM
sammniamii
Hookah Guru

Default Re: The not so good side to narghile smoking, part 1

Dude, that's just not right - what you are wearing, no matter what the heckis on it, shouldn't be an excuse to sock someone from behind. That a$$ was a coward and a jack-off. People like that piss me off beyond words!
Old June 21st, 2007, 08:39 AM
Rudie Cant Fail
Hookah Pro

What a terrible thing man, I'm sorry you had to suffer that man's presence. I have been hassled before many times, but never ever to that extent. Is this a common occurence or viewpoint where you live? Key West is a pretty liberal town socially, so perhaps that plays a factor. Regardless, worngful stereotypes and accusations are always hurtful and offensive, and I ahve suffered attacks of character before. They physical aspect takes it to a new level though, how could that man care so much about someone's shirt just because it has a hookah on it?
Old June 21st, 2007, 11:19 AM
ASUSEAN
Hookah Nut

wow, fuck tht guy...
Old June 21st, 2007, 06:05 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

That episode was by the worst time i've gotten. Normally, nothing more serious then dirty looks or stupid comments about "blunt" are what I get. I've worn that shirt around a lot (it's for a really great coffee & shisha bar) and i've never had any troubles. It used to be common to get some uptight mom telling me that I can't smoke in parks because i'll make the children sick but I haven't had to deal with that sort of pest for a couple of months now.

I am still pissed that cops acted like it was my fault for wearing a shirt they wrongly assumed promotes something i've never had anything to do with.
Old June 21st, 2007, 11:00 PM
merkaba
Hookah Nut

the cop gave some good advice, people are crazy and will misconstrue stuff just because they have issues.
Old June 21st, 2007, 11:31 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by merkaba
the cop gave some good advice, people are crazy and will misconstrue stuff just because they have issues.
I don't get it. When someone acts like a lunatic they, not the people torment, deserve to suffer the consequences of their actions. I fail to see why I should not express myself simply because an ignoramus might lose his self control when sees me. No one has a right to not be offended. Instead the only real freedom anyone has is to develop the ability to think and act critically. If the willfully mis-educated actively abdicate that right I will give them contempt or worse if need be. To do other wise is to surrender that which makes the pain of living something more then tedium
Old June 22nd, 2007, 05:37 AM
Das_messiah
Hookah Newbie

the key to remember her is, in America, the victems are the offenders. Lawyers and the people you vote for make it so.
Old June 22nd, 2007, 08:45 AM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Das_messiah
the key to remember her is, in America, the victems are the offenders. Lawyers and the people you vote for make it so.
In total agreement on that one! Sucks, but seems sooooo true!
... Someone could attack me, and you can be damn sure I will survive the attack and probably hurt them in the process, and I would probably be the one to go to trial! Nice judicial system we have ... I can't believe that lawyers get paid to manipulate the jury into fighting for a guilty person of a serious crime, to be cleared of all charges! (I know the whole thing, innocent, until proven guilty ... and can agree with that ... but come on, people that are ridiculously guilty, can get off with a great lawyer! That is just wrong! and Sickening!) Ohhh and of course the politicians that make the laws, what a joke!

Anyhow, sorry, back to your unfortunate incident Hajo....
What a little pussy, that little man was, to sucker punch you and run away like a little bitch! Never ceases to amaze me how people can act!
I may be wrong, but isn't spitting in someones face considered an assault? I would have punched the little douche bag out, right there in the store!
Hopefully you "Educated" the cops, on there comment about "stoner stuff / your t-shirt" and what a traditional hookah smoking experience is! ...

All I can say is sorry Hajo, and as the bumper sticker goes "Mean People Suck!", you seem like a really down to earth, good guy (I would actually like to hang out with you sometime!) ... sorry you had to experience this ridiculous confrontation, and all over a t-shirt!

http://www.hookahpro.com - Hookah Pro Community - Hookah Forum
~Favorite Hookah~ Khalil Mamoon Amer .. (she leans, so I call her Eileen)
~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Al Fakher Mint, Al Fakher Orange, Al Fakher Cinnamon
HookahPro.com .. powered by Elites!
Old June 22nd, 2007, 09:05 AM
ghostofdavid
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to ghostofdavid Send a message via MSN to ghostofdavid Send a message via Yahoo to ghostofdavid

Sticks and stones, my friends.

People are silly and want to live in an existence of disruption and violent currents. It gives people reasons to live, sadly.

However, since he punched you that makes him a candidate for violence misdemeanor or potential felony.

If karma doesn't give him an ass whuppin', some body else eventually will.

Stay up, my man. You are good peoples.
Old June 22nd, 2007, 10:04 AM
angemonkwj
Hookah Pro

there is nothing worse than sincere ignorance and concious stupidity. ignorance is a sad state of mind.
Old June 22nd, 2007, 01:04 PM
merkaba
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajo Flettner
Quote:
I don't get it. When someone acts like a lunatic they, not the people torment, deserve to suffer the consequences of their actions. I fail to see why I should not express myself simply because an ignoramus might lose his self control when sees me. No one has a right to not be offended. Instead the only real freedom anyone has is to develop the ability to think and act critically. If the willfully mis-educated actively abdicate that right I will give them contempt or worse if need be. To do other wise is to surrender that which makes the pain of living something more then tedium
sorry, but me and the cop are being realists. By wearing a shirt, you got attacked and the guy ran away. Worst thing is the guy probably wont end up getting caught.

I'm not saying I hate or want no one to be able to express themselves, but I also know that 90% of the people I talk to about hookahs want me to put something un-hookafied in the hookah. If you know people are genuinely that misinformed on a large scale, don't be surprised when people do outlandishly stupid things to you. Its not right, but thats how things tend to be sometimes.
Old June 22nd, 2007, 02:01 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

yeah, I am constantly defending traditional hookah use for smoking shisha, 100% of people that I have come in contact with that have never heard of "smoking hookah" are afraid to try it, or ask a lot of questions, cuz they think something "funny" is inside it. Or people just automatically assume that its primary use is to smoke whacky tobaccy, it is a constant struggle to defend something that is so innocent and enjoyable, and tasty! Most people that do try it with me though, end up enjoying it and go out and buy there own hookah haha

... I do what I can, to educate people on the enjoyment of smoking shisha using a hookah ... if I can educate some, maybe they may pass that knowledge on to someone else? One can only hope!
... all in all, I would say I have educated at least 60 people about traditional hookah and shisha!

~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Old June 22nd, 2007, 04:26 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
sorry, but me and the cop are being realists. By wearing a shirt, you got attacked and the guy ran away. Worst thing is the guy probably wont end up getting caught.

I'm not saying I hate or want no one to be able to express themselves, but I also know that 90% of the people I talk to about hookahs want me to put something un-hookafied in the hookah. If you know people are genuinely that misinformed on a large scale, don't be surprised when people do outlandishly stupid things to you. Its not right, but thats how things tend to be sometimes.
You call it realism but I think a better term is surrender. By letting the willfully ignorant determine what one wears or says out of fear relegates one to slavery. While being attacked is bad the threat of serious injury worse the threat of subservience is far worse. When realism means submission the only realistic option is defiance.
Old June 22nd, 2007, 04:35 PM
Lakemonster
Hookah Enthusiast

after reading both of your stories.......

......... I'da had to cut someone.
Old June 22nd, 2007, 04:59 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sambooka
Quote:
... Someone could attack me, and you can be damn sure I will survive the attack and probably hurt them in the process, and I would probably be the one to go to trial! Nice judicial system we have ... I can't believe that lawyers get paid to manipulate the jury into fighting for a guilty person of a serious crime, to be cleared of all charges! (I know the whole thing, innocent, until proven guilty ... and can agree with that ... but come on, people that are ridiculously guilty, can get off with a great lawyer! That is just wrong! and Sickening!) Ohhh and of course the politicians that make the laws, what a joke!

What a little pussy, that little man was, to sucker punch you and run away like a little bitch! Never ceases to amaze me how people can act!
I may be wrong, but isn't spitting in someones face considered an assault? I would have punched the little douche bag out, right there in the store!
Hopefully you "Educated" the cops, on there comment about "stoner stuff / your t-shirt" and what a traditional hookah smoking experience is! ...

All I can say is sorry Hajo, and as the bumper sticker goes "Mean People Suck!", you seem like a really down to earth, good guy (I would actually like to hang out with you sometime!) ... sorry you had to experience this ridiculous confrontation, and all over a t-shirt!
Quote:
Quote:

I remember years back a thug stole a car from my father who ran over some woman and killed her with it. The criminal claimed that the car wasn’t well maintained causing him to lose control and hit the woman. While that defense didn’t work the police latter claimed that my father was at fault for involuntary vehicle manslaughter (or something like that, was a while back) and we had to get into a big court battle. The family of the woman that was killed tried to sue us on the same grounds. While we won both cases we spent something like 200,000USD on legal fees and replacing the car.

I think spiting is considered assault but I guess the guy will never be caught so what does it matter. I should have hit the guy but I was so surprised I didn’t know how to react. In the future I’ll be more violent when the need arises.

I tried to talk to cops about what the shirt meant and, as is most often the case with cops, my words went in one ear and out the other.

It would be great to hang out with you and a few others from the board. We could all drink Babka, Kunugaisciai and Bink Bruin while eating Desros, Kugel and Labas. Afterwards we’d smoke and listen to some music.
Old June 22nd, 2007, 05:55 PM
merkaba
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You call it realism but I think a better term is surrender. By letting the willfully ignorant determine what one wears or says out of fear relegates one to slavery. While being attacked is bad the threat of serious injury worse the threat of subservience is far worse. When realism means submission the only realistic option is defiance.
it could construed as surrender, but drawing attention to yourself in a way that can be viewed as not positive will draw out the retards. Someone dumb enough to attack someone for having a hookah shirt is wrong, but at the end of the day he'll get away with it.
Old June 22nd, 2007, 07:45 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

Quote:
It would be great to hang out with you and a few others from the board. We could all drink Babka, Kunugaisciai and Bink Bruin while eating Desros, Kugel and Labas. Afterwards we’d smoke and listen to some music.
I don't know what any of that is, cuz I haven't tried it, but I would be totally down to try it!

Old June 22nd, 2007, 07:46 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

and the whole thing with stealing the car and then your father being faulted for it, is ridiculous, the judicial system is so screwed up!

Old June 22nd, 2007, 08:36 PM
cymptom
Hookah Newbie

Hajo is right -- that's a dangerous mindset you've got there, merkaba. Blacks would still be enslaved if, of all people, even the virtuous were defeatist enough to discourage the pursuit of emancipation simply because it meant confronting some trouble.

Maybe next time the guy will get caught. Or maybe Hajo will break his jaw 8) But what's more important is that the whole conflict brings to the surface the prejudices and preconceptions that are the root of the problem. They're not immutable, you know... and they won't just go away if we avoid them.
Old June 22nd, 2007, 08:49 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Merkaba,

I don’t think I draw attention ti myself in that I don’t wear shirts with obscenities or try to look outrageous and I’m always polite to anyone that’s not abusive. When I’m overseas I do my best to follow local norms and not stand out. Still, as long as I live in the states I refuse to be some little gray man and if that means danger so be it.

Think of the consequences of what your saying and consider that:

- Women should never dress in a way seen as provocative or some freak might view it as an inducement to rape.

- Counter culture people will just have to get used to looking like IBM salesmen circa 1955.

- Southerners will have to forget about that flag they like and Muslims, Jews and the Amish will have to look like what ever some thug thinks they should like.

Craven conformity to appease stupid, violent people is surrendering to stupidity is itself stupid because the willfully ignorant will never accept your groveling but instead will look for another reason to lash out at others. If you wish to live on your knees so be it but I know better then to think that submission makes me safe.
Old June 22nd, 2007, 08:57 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Quote:
Quote:
I don't know what any of that is, cuz I haven't tried it, but I would be totally down to try it!
Glad to hear your up to it sam. All that stuff is Lithuanian ales (except Bink Bruin which is Belgian) and food. Our food is simple but good. I hope i'll get the chance to spend some time with you and some other forum people for a night of the most of the things that make life worth living.

Yeah, that thing with my dad and the car was totally a pain in the ass. It seems that the legal system is designed to ruin the lives of honest people and make a few well dressed thieves rich. I might leave this country for good as lots of other places have a better quality of life.
Old June 22nd, 2007, 11:58 PM
merkaba
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Merkaba,

I don’t think I draw attention ti myself in that I don’t wear shirts with obscenities or try to look outrageous and I’m always polite to anyone that’s not abusive. When I’m overseas I do my best to follow local norms and not stand out. Still, as long as I live in the states I refuse to be some little gray man and if that means danger so be it.

Think of the consequences of what your saying and consider that:

- Women should never dress in a way seen as provocative or some freak might view it as an inducement to rape.

- Counter culture people will just have to get used to looking like IBM salesmen circa 1955.

- Southerners will have to forget about that flag they like and Muslims, Jews and the Amish will have to look like what ever some thug thinks they should like.

Craven conformity to appease stupid, violent people is surrendering to stupidity is itself stupid because the willfully ignorant will never accept your groveling but instead will look for another reason to lash out at others. If you wish to live on your knees so be it but I know better then to think that submission makes me safe.
thats understandable, carry some mace or a stun gun.
Old June 23rd, 2007, 01:29 AM
KoRnKitten
Moderator Kitteh

Send a message via AIM to KoRnKitten Send a message via Yahoo to KoRnKitten

from a law stand point- if he hit you and then ran away- if you chased him and then beat him up, he would then be able to press battery/ assault charges on you as well.

I understand why you would want to do something like that (as i have in the past.. i may be a gril but i can whoop your ass, if i need too...) , but if he's running away it's okay to make him stay there or get his plates for the officers but if you were to swing back or run up on him and clock him in the head, you also open yourself up for legal and civil issues as well. Please remember that and be careful.

if he keeps hitting you, or is a danger to you, by all means PUT HIM ON HIS KNEES.......

GLaDOS: "You euthanised your faithful companion cube more quickly than any test subject on record. Congratulations!"
Old June 23rd, 2007, 01:15 PM
Rudie Cant Fail
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoRnKitten

if he keeps hitting you, or is a danger to you, by all means PUT HIM ON HIS KNEES.......

+1
There's definetly a line.
Just my 2 cents of agreement though, sorry, had to chime in on that one
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook