Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Bowl set up by brand

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old May 24th, 2008, 11:47 AM
crimsonkingjv
Hookah Newbie

Location: Originally California (San Jose) but for the last 2 years Portland oregon with g/f
Default Bowl set up by brand

Hi everyone, sorry if this has been covered already I wasn't able to find the information by searching. I am trying to find out information about how to manage different brands of shisha. I have heard that hh is a bit drier and tends to need good heat management to make sure it doesn't burn. I have some tips on how to set up and work the bowl for them including a good way to poke the holes in the foil. Can anyone else either provide or point me to where I can find this type of information for other brands? Thank you,
Old May 24th, 2008, 12:02 PM
Scoop
Hookah Guru

Default Re: Bowl set up by brand

i just do trial and error. start out with a lower number of coal, if its not enough work your way up.
Old May 24th, 2008, 12:49 PM
abu ronin
Hookah Master

Send a message via Yahoo to abu ronin

certain brands will obviously burn differently.And on top of that, sometimes different flavors from the same brand will react differently as well. Many washed brands like AF,SB ect. are abit more forgiving regarding heat.While other brands like al nahkla or tangiers, can be alil more demanding w/regards to heat management.
Old May 24th, 2008, 12:58 PM
crimsonkingjv
Hookah Newbie

Location: Originally California (San Jose) but for the last 2 years Portland oregon with g/f

Right, that is what I had heard as well. Do you know of anywhere I can find out information on how to get the best experience from different brands?
Old May 24th, 2008, 01:00 PM
abu ronin
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimsonkingjv View Post
Right, that is what I had heard as well. Do you know of anywhere I can find out information on how to get the best experience from different brands?
I think you already found that place!! Welcome to HookahPro!!
Old May 24th, 2008, 01:21 PM
crimsonkingjv
Hookah Newbie

lol, thank you, thank you. Yeah this seems like a great site. Any tips for different brands that you find works for you?
Old May 24th, 2008, 01:25 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

Here you go Crimson, this is a good "How To" vid, if I o say so myself

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_BCJ1xOQTE

http://www.hookahpro.com - Hookah Pro Community - Hookah Forum
~Favorite Hookah~ Khalil Mamoon Amer .. (she leans, so I call her Eileen)
~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Al Fakher Mint, Al Fakher Orange, Al Fakher Cinnamon
HookahPro.com .. powered by Elites!
Old May 24th, 2008, 01:35 PM
crimsonkingjv
Hookah Newbie

Nice, thank you. I'll watch that as soon as I get home (at work right now so no streaming video).
Old May 24th, 2008, 04:09 PM
Kwikwi
Hookah Guru

Sadly this is a very difficult question to answer. The very same tobacco from the same tub will perform differently depending on your hardware. Bowl types, hookah size, coals, etc. There are too many things that change the session results to just say this is what works best. Post what your set-up is and tobacco, this will give a starting point to help you. Keeping in mind everyones experience is different and even if we were to copy your set-up the result would be different. And as Scoop posted earlier everything you learn will be through trial and error, even the tips we give you may take a bit to work well. But always keep trying, experimenting and perfecting. That's what will teach you the most.
Old May 24th, 2008, 06:02 PM
wolfstar
Hookah Nut

There's way too many variables, even room temp will make a difference as will type of bowl, coal etc etc. Scoop hit the nail on the head though , just start with a small amount of coal and add more if it's not enough until you reach the desired smoke/flavor level, you'll soon learn when you put on too much so just clear the vase and take a coal off or move them around if they've been sitting in one place too long.
Old May 24th, 2008, 06:21 PM
crimsonkingjv
Hookah Newbie

Alright, well thank you very much everyone. Yeah I think I have some general ideas of where to start. Does what bowl I'm using make a difference? I'm pretty sure it does but what would the main difference be between say a regular glazed bowl and say a glass pyrex bowl? Is one going to act differently with regards to heat? Again, I think I have a pretty good idea of what to do to start out and then I'll just keep trying different things and see what works. Thanks everyone.
Old May 24th, 2008, 08:01 PM
smoke-all-day
Hookah Pro

doesnt pyrex require less heat? someone else could answer for sure but thats what i thought i remembered reading somewhere
Old May 24th, 2008, 11:18 PM
Kwikwi
Hookah Guru

Bowl impacts session a lot. Width, depth, phunnel or regular, composition(some materials hold heat better than others). This hobby couldn't be more diverse for such a simple device.
Old May 25th, 2008, 05:16 AM
stan152008

its all about experience or just trial and error
Old May 25th, 2008, 09:59 AM
crimsonkingjv
Hookah Newbie

ok cool. Does anyone know how the double blown pyrex bowl will effect it? Do those require less heat than regular?
Old May 25th, 2008, 01:11 PM
abu ronin
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimsonkingjv View Post
ok cool. Does anyone know how the double blown pyrex bowl will effect it? Do those require less heat than regular?
You should prolly just have a go at it and see where that takes you.Obviously, start w/lower heat and if that's not working for you, throw on another coal, and so on, and so forth. Good luck!
Old May 25th, 2008, 01:39 PM
larrypzlast
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to larrypzlast

Yeh the best advice anyone can give you the site for this type of question Is to play around with it. When I got my hookah I played around with about three bowls before I had things going pretty well with layalina. Then I went and bought nahkla banana and strawberry and things changed. Had to play with those as well to eventually get the hang of em.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook