Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

The Police State and My Narghile

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old July 5th, 2007, 01:38 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Default The Police State and My Narghile

This past 4th of July has left me questioning if my citizenship is worth keeping.

Some friends and I drove up to Elephant Butte for a night of grilling lamb, drinking homemade beer & soda , smoking some Ark Sous and a self-made replica of Al Fakher Soft Black. We had a permit for our meeting on the beach signed and stamped in hand and none of us even considered any problem arising from our get together which we had having every year for the last 5 or 6 years.

Unfortunately, Sait forgetting the beer was the start of the night going totally wrong. Everything started out alright playing some frisbee and hanging out on the beach for an hour or so. Once the sun started to go down we started grilling some lamb and vegetables and where in the middle of a great meal when a police car rolls up and some cop demands to see our identification.

While we handed the cop our identification a second one starts rummaging around in our cars and yells out that he found paraphernalia. The first cop grabs me and slams my face into the hood of his car mumbling something about what deep shit we all are in. My friends are starting to get worked up and they get cuffed as well. About this time another two police cars pull up and the new cops start dragging out our rigs and telling us that they “know this is drug paraphernalia” and that they are going to take our cars and everything in them as evidence.

We then get to spend a night in jail with no phone calls allowed (supposedly it was out of order) sitting with a bunch of drunk scum. We got released this morning without being changed. The police refused to give us back our cars or our stuff although they did return our wallets. They also refused to give us badge numbers or names.

I called and got everyone a ride back home and while things could have been worse the whole instance really has me pissed.

I am calling lawyers and trying to figure out what is next but frankly this experience is making me wonder if this country is one I should live in. Freedom from malicious police harassment is pretty important and it’s clear America lacks such liberty.
Old July 5th, 2007, 01:49 PM
Rudie Cant Fail
Hookah Pro

Default Re: The Police State and My Narghile

I'm really not sure what to say, Hajo. I'm sorry, I really am, that you and your friends had to go through all that. But I really don't understand why the police acted that drastically. It does seem misrepresentative of the nation as a whole. And cops and I don't have a buddy-buddy relationship.
Still, it's hard to believe that they went that far out of line. Especially since they had no concrete evidence to bring you in. A briar pipe is technically "paraphenalia", but as I discovered last winter, a legal smoking device cannot be considered as evidence until it is proven to have been used for illegal narcotics. They field tested it, and I'm not sure how. But it was quick and he apologized (sorta) when it came out "clean" of THC resin.
Prevented any further complications, as I was compliant in allowing them to search my vehicle, which was also clean.
This is really a terrible occurrence, and I would pursue whatever legal action you feel justifiable, as I do not know the extent of the story. But most police officers are not violent, blind individuals. You may have a crooked force, and that's a real shame.It's not like that everywhere. Regardless, it's easier to move to another city than another country. Don't be so quick to feel hopeless, although given your string of luck I can see where the frustration becomes inevitable. Hope things turn for the better, man.

Old July 5th, 2007, 02:35 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Well I ask them to test for illegal substances and they basically said "don't tell me how to do my job". In general I don't hold negative views of policemen and until this event I never had any negative personal encounters. My guess is that that the problem is a small town police department that is corrupt more then anything thing.

In the end, i'm just really pissed off right now.
Old July 5th, 2007, 02:52 PM
Lakemonster
Hookah Enthusiast

This would be a case where there is much wrong done.

Did anyone give the officers permission to search the vehicles. If not, what gave them "probable cause"?

Some states do require that you identify yourself by state issue ID upon demand.. your state may not require you to identify yourself as a right of privacy.

The fact that they refused to give you badge #'s means they need to hide for a reason.

Do you know if these cops were called out by some one possibly complaining or were they simply patrolling?

Old July 5th, 2007, 03:05 PM
sammniamii
Hookah Guru

I'm sorry this happened to you, it really sounds like somebody "tipped" off the police - probalby telling tall tales of "evil deeds" that were clearly NOT being done.

I hope you do figure out someway to make the officers pay for their mistakes... as as bad as it seems, I would suggest perhaps moving to a new city. Sounds as if the locals are down right rude.

The police broke so many rules it's scary - if that sort of behavior had happened in my town, all hell would break loose (my lovely city is know as one of the most voilent on the coast and we are TINY!)

Much love and peace

PS: don't let the idiots smear the whole country. Some places are better than others with acceptance.
Old July 5th, 2007, 03:14 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakemonster
This would be a case where there is much wrong done.

Did anyone give the officers permission to search the vehicles. If not, what gave them "probable cause"?

Some states do require that you identify yourself by state issue ID upon demand.. your state may not require you to identify yourself as a right of privacy.

The fact that they refused to give you badge #'s means they need to hide for a reason.

Do you know if these cops were called out by some one possibly complaining or were they simply patrolling?

No permission was given to search anything but rather, a single policeman took it upon himself to rummage about in our stuff. As to probable cause I believe I was told to shut up when I ask about it. I have no idea if anyone reported us to the police.

All this happened no where I live but about 90 minutes drive to the south in a town I used to like to visit.

I'm really thinking that relocating to the US was a bad move.
Old July 5th, 2007, 03:20 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammniamii
I'm sorry this happened to you, it really sounds like somebody "tipped" off the police - probalby telling tall tales of "evil deeds" that were clearly NOT being done.

I hope you do figure out someway to make the officers pay for their mistakes... as as bad as it seems, I would suggest perhaps moving to a new city. Sounds as if the locals are down right rude.

The police broke so many rules it's scary - if that sort of behavior had happened in my town, all hell would break loose (my lovely city is know as one of the most voilent on the coast and we are TINY!)

Much love and peace

PS: don't let the idiots smear the whole country. Some places are better than others with acceptance.
Hello Sam. I know that I shouldn't condemn the whole country as a lot of good people live here but I've grown very unhappy with American pop culture and way things have been heading in general. I've lived in a lot of countries and given that several of them have suited me perhaps America and I should part company. Maybe i'm just pissed and all this will fade. In any case I plan on heading to court.

My own town is a pretty nice place to live if one overlooks the poverty and crime. Certainly the land is wonderful to look at and the food is good so I can't complain too much about my surroundings.
Old July 5th, 2007, 03:56 PM
merkaba
Hookah Nut

I'd make sure your lawyers a good one. I'm a lawyer by no means, but theres definitely a wrongful arrest suit possible among other things. Worst thing for those cops, they completely avoided protocol and a good portion of what they did might be on tape. As long as you guys had nothing on you at all illegal, pursue it to the fullest extent of the law.
Old July 5th, 2007, 05:19 PM
angemonkwj
Hookah Pro

damn hajo, that really sux. sorry u had to go through that. now i for one dont like the police much either. i think that a lot of them are a corrupt bunch, all though i will say that there are a few good ones out there. from the sounds of it, everything they did was wrong. did u even get a chance to show them the permit u had that was allowing u to be out there?
Old July 5th, 2007, 11:20 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Thanks for the detailed information/advice KK. This sort of thing is new to me and pretty alien. I've lived in Eastern Europe, the Arabic World, Northern Europa and South Africa/South West Africa and i've never had any trouble with the authorities. I hope that I can get my stuff back and the would be Checka to lose their jobs. I think that being powerless and at someone else's mercy is the worst aspect of all this.
Old July 6th, 2007, 09:33 AM
ghostofdavid
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to ghostofdavid Send a message via MSN to ghostofdavid Send a message via Yahoo to ghostofdavid

Trust me, if they were in the wrong (they are), the you can make their wrongdoing very worth your time in court. Good luck and let us know what happens.

Link any news related stories. The news would love to hear about this.
Old July 6th, 2007, 01:12 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

I hope that you pursue this Hajo! Take KK's advice on this one...!!!

I hope you get the justice you so deserve on this one! Please let us know what happens...

And yeah, I agree with ya ... It is miserable to be under someone's thumb like that, to be powerless and at someone else's mercy.

http://www.hookahpro.com - Hookah Pro Community - Hookah Forum
~Favorite Hookah~ Khalil Mamoon Amer .. (she leans, so I call her Eileen)
~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Al Fakher Mint, Al Fakher Orange, Al Fakher Cinnamon
HookahPro.com .. powered by Elites!
Old July 6th, 2007, 09:48 PM
KoRnKitten
Moderator Kitteh

Send a message via AIM to KoRnKitten Send a message via Yahoo to KoRnKitten

np... maybe i should start charging I'm playing, what good would I be if I didn't help anyone out.....

i'm be completely lame instead of partially lol

GLaDOS: "You euthanised your faithful companion cube more quickly than any test subject on record. Congratulations!"
Old July 7th, 2007, 12:44 AM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Well the chief of police in the department in question refuses to talk to me and they still have all of our stuff. I've been chatting with lawyers for a while now and following KK's advice.

Basically, I am not interested in trying to make money off of this but I do want an apology, my legal costs covered, all of my stuff back, all of my friends' stuff back and everyone involved fired.

I don't like the media so I won't talk to them about it as the whole thing is upsetting and something I'd rather not have strangers going over.

Anyway, I have a couple of job offers overseas which I might take and simply leave the states for good.
Old July 7th, 2007, 02:06 AM
Interpol
Hookah Newbie

I feel ashamed that this happened to you. I have run into a bunch of crooked cops (especially in Beaverton), but I think the good ones outnumber them 100 to 1 around here (except in Beaverton). I do think its just about time to leave the US myself. Maybe Canada or New Zealand would be a better choice.

All I can say is keep pushing those DB's until justice is served and good luck.
Old July 8th, 2007, 07:39 PM
speel
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to speel

My personal opinion on this is that it totally depends what your race is and where you live. I would suspect this from a nj suburb cop or even a cop in the deep south. Cops here in nyc are pretty lax. I mean ive heard instances of cops throwing away drugs or keeping them. And in our local arab section where its hookahs delight there, cops dont even come around. So it really comes downs to age,race, and location. But I hope you get some legal justice. Good luck.
Old July 8th, 2007, 11:37 PM
girlgeek
Hookah Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to girlgeek

In SF, cali there are people smoking crack on the street corner. Hell, I live next door to some dealers (and I love how they drove out the violent element, I can walk down the street at night now. ) it has to be your area, Nor cal is so laid back.
Old July 9th, 2007, 12:09 AM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

It may have something to do with the area I was in but a while back I lived in the deep south and the police were always decent and I never heard of anyone getting grief about smoking shisha. In the DC area I hear about abusive cops a lot although not as bad as what I dealt with.

Thankfully I never had to deal with GG did, just your typical brain dead stoner types. Narcotics are a big problem in New Mexico but thankfully it's not as bad here as it is on the coasts
Old July 9th, 2007, 09:34 AM
angemonkwj
Hookah Pro

now i know that u dont like the media, but that may be just the thing to light a fire under the police chiefs ass and talk to u about what happened.
Old November 29th, 2009, 10:00 PM
thefaded
Hookah Pro

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I'm really interested to know what happened here. Did you ever get your stuff back Hajo?
Old November 29th, 2009, 10:13 PM
kalutika
Mad Alchemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefaded View Post
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I'm really interested to know what happened here. Did you ever get your stuff back Hajo?
Ditto on this one. This is worth a little arcane magic.
Old November 29th, 2009, 10:28 PM
Jride
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Jride

Wow, just read this full story.. Really curious to know wut happened
Old November 29th, 2009, 10:37 PM
flutterbi
Hookah Nut

Please let us know what happened.
Old November 30th, 2009, 12:16 AM
rgallego
Hookah Nut

Send a message via MSN to rgallego

I'm also really curious about this
Old November 30th, 2009, 12:25 AM
BobMarley
Hookah Guru

Wow Hajo, wow... I don't know what to say. At all. I will ask: Where the HELL did this happen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefaded View Post
I can't answer your question, but I don't believe Hajo has any residences in the USA anymore if that helps.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook