Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Smileys Tobbaco?

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old July 6th, 2007, 05:51 PM
Erica
Hookah Newbie

Default Smileys Tobbaco?

Is it really going to be freakin 9 bucks for a 15g shot?

*so confused*
Old July 6th, 2007, 05:57 PM
DarkD3vil
Hookah Nut

Default Re: Smileys Tobbaco?

yup it is i read it on hf
Old July 6th, 2007, 06:08 PM
NazarHookah
Vendor

Send a message via AIM to NazarHookah Send a message via MSN to NazarHookah Send a message via Yahoo to NazarHookah

15g?

I think only people that are addicts to it will buy...but you know what...I kinda think Smiley Tobacco was a phase...It will pass quickly with those prices
Old July 6th, 2007, 06:10 PM
DarkD3vil
Hookah Nut

fo sure i tried it.. it was good not 9 bucks for one hookah oh well
Old July 6th, 2007, 09:10 PM
NazarHookah
Vendor

Send a message via AIM to NazarHookah Send a message via MSN to NazarHookah Send a message via Yahoo to NazarHookah

Sounds like a hookah lounge price.....
Old July 6th, 2007, 09:46 PM
KoRnKitten
Moderator Kitteh

Send a message via AIM to KoRnKitten Send a message via Yahoo to KoRnKitten

WHAT?? 15G FOR 9.00?? I was having a hard time coming up with 9 for 150....... That's to rich for my blood. sorry smiley.

GLaDOS: "You euthanised your faithful companion cube more quickly than any test subject on record. Congratulations!"
Old July 6th, 2007, 09:52 PM
rancidmilk912
Hookah Newbie

At these prices I'd rather buy 10 shots of Hookah-Hookah tobacco for $10.50 even if the tobacco does suck quite a bit.....
Old July 6th, 2007, 11:17 PM
DarkD3vil
Hookah Nut

dont forget to add in shipping m8's
Old July 7th, 2007, 12:39 AM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Having looked around it seems that this rumor is true. I never tried Smiley's stuff although I was interested in doing so although less so after the previous price increase. In theory he should have sent me a sampler of his flavours as I was one of the first ten people to sign up here although he never bothered to answer when I inquired about it.

I guess Smiley has decided he doesn't want to sell his shisha anywhere but his lounge and this new pricing plan will make that dream come true.

This price increase is simply crazy considering that a lot of lounges have bowls with great stuff for 8-12USD. Honestly, the idea of paying 15 in a lounge is nuts and such price gouging for a shot mail ordered makes me want to have nothing to do with man.
Old July 7th, 2007, 08:38 AM
MNH
Vendor

Send a message via AIM to MNH

ya when i was talking to his new distrubtor I was shocked i kept asking ..you mean 150 grams for $9..retail and he assured me it was 15 grams.. i was laughing at that price and pretty much hung up the phone on them.. I told them good luck selling at that price, and that we will no longer be carrying smileys products.. 59.95 for 300 grams...that is insane just.. me 2cents
Old July 7th, 2007, 08:54 AM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

MNH, When you put it in that perspective, on price for 300 grams ... LOL, it makes Starbuzz look CHEAP! Who'd a thunk that day would ever come!?? Crazyness!

http://www.hookahpro.com - Hookah Pro Community - Hookah Forum
~Favorite Hookah~ Khalil Mamoon Amer .. (she leans, so I call her Eileen)
~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Al Fakher Mint, Al Fakher Orange, Al Fakher Cinnamon
HookahPro.com .. powered by Elites!
Old July 7th, 2007, 10:54 AM
Lakemonster
Hookah Enthusiast

Gotta be some sort of stunt.

Or he's tired of the game or something and if you really want the stuff, you are gonna pay him off.

I dunno...... at those prices... you must not want to sell it. Kinda like overbidding a job so you dont have to touch it.
Old July 7th, 2007, 12:21 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Perhaps Smiley has decided that by having his prices as high as possible he will create a snob like reputation which will allow him to carve out a tiny but very profitable niche. I know that Estoterica Tobacco has done that for Western Style pipe tobacco although they have fantastic products that everyone would use if they could afford it.

The problem is that Smiley does not have the reputation to pull such a move off.
Old July 8th, 2007, 12:12 PM
sammniamii
Hookah Guru

This is just plain outright scary. I won't pay $20 for Rommans and Starbuzz... no way ion heck would I even dream of paying 60$ for 300g.

I liked his bowls (according to what I've red those are going up to $45), his shisha was alright, but just not my boat. I still have about 100g of Wedding Cake that I use to 'enhance" other flavors. Oh well, whatever his reasoning, it sits horribly in my stomache and has me thinking as to the REAL reason he closed his store and left.

Oh well, he seemed like a good due.
Old July 8th, 2007, 01:51 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

I was going to buy his bowl but for 45USD the bowl better pack it self and heat automatically. I heard a rumor that Smiley's herbal shisha is now out and that it is more expensive then his regular line. Anyone know what it will go for?
Old July 8th, 2007, 07:25 PM
speel
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to speel

Hmm sounds like some kinda marketing ploy
Old July 9th, 2007, 06:24 AM
Seth_DeNightshade
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by speel
Hmm sounds like some kinda marketing ploy
Interested to see how you came to that , rather unusual, conclusion in regard to the
smiley's tobacco price increase!

I am surprised to see Smiley has not responded. I do not believe for one second that either Smiley -OR- Randy have no internet connection and have not nosed around for reaction.

Sethie D
Old July 9th, 2007, 10:12 AM
Rudie Cant Fail
Hookah Pro

Damn, I hopped on the boat too late in the game I suppose .
Seems like all this has happened in the past month, I've barely been able to follow it.
$9 is way high for 15 grams, although we've pretty much established that.
Still cant see why anyone would want to do that, though...maybe I'm just not a good business person ha.
Old July 9th, 2007, 11:18 AM
rancidmilk912
Hookah Newbie

Apparently Smiley's new vendor is on HF right now in a huge spat over this whole thing... Come join the fun guys....
Old July 9th, 2007, 01:45 PM
sammniamii
Hookah Guru

the Dist dude has stated a "Smiley Snack" (15g shot i believe) should be around $5.99

Not even HH shots are that bad.... This whole thing leaves a bad taste/feeling in me. Why would Smiley do this, he can't be blind to the ramacations of alienating his customer base. Even if some people are purchasing the shisha, the price to too high to maintain a mass market - not compaired to other brands already out there (And the fact alot of previous customers may be hestiant in re-trying).

*sigh* A pity, i was looking forward to the new flavors, but now - I'm not overly sure if I want to even try. Not saying it wouldn't be worth it, but the princple behind the whole ordeal is what upsetting my morals.
Old July 9th, 2007, 02:29 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

I tried 3 different Smiley flavours last night and they were all bland and tasteless. Frankly It will take great tasting free samples to get me to try his stuff again.

I was reading the thread by Smiley's new distributor at the other forum and I can say is that the guy is a walking PR disaster. Getting anything other then how great the new product and packing was like pulling teeth. He is very defensive and almost never answered anybody’s questions but kept up with the silly “Smiley’s is the best quality stuff money can buy, our packing is great and our pricing (unstated) is in keeping with how great it is” bit. Eventually he said a sample of unspecified size will have an MSRP of 5.99USD.

The problem is that he did quote prices of 15USD per 15g to other distributors recently but now is claiming that those quotes were not actual prices but something else. After endless shuck and jive we find out that Smiley’s stuff will not show up in mail order places but retail outlets and lounges only which seems like stupid decision to me. What we have here is an honesty problem combined with arrogance and frankly none of it sits well with me.

Assuming that the implied MSRP of 5.99USD for “brick and mortar stores” and lounges is accurate the pricing is still crazy even if the quality is very high. At a lounge the cost of the shisha is a small part of the cost of a session so that if someone charges 8-12USD for a session with shisha coming from 1KG tubs it doesn’t take an accountant to figure out that smoking Smiley’s a lounge is going to be stratosphericly expensive. Given that 15g won’t even fill my funnel with a mod in it I can’t say I’m too interested in buying a “shot” at a local shop. Looking at various on line retailers it seems that “shots” of high end shisha typically go for 1-2USD each and paying 3 times that is something that almost no one would be willing to do.

The bottom line for me is that Smiley and his distributor are proving they doesn’t or deserve our money.
Old July 9th, 2007, 05:05 PM
Lakemonster
Hookah Enthusiast

I skimmed the thread where the distro guy was defending his stance.

OK. so maybe the shisha is going to be freakin awesome? A second wife might be awesome too....

..... but I sure as hell aint gonna pay for one.
Old July 9th, 2007, 06:16 PM
KoRnKitten
Moderator Kitteh

OK OK - Coming from someone who JUST bought smileys 3 days ago from MN..... The stuff has not changed. Which is disappointing since I shelled out 9 bux for it. Plus it was in a weird jar that I did not like compared to the cobalt blue ones. I hope this isn't the new and improved packaging. If so... Yikes as this improved packaging looked even more cheap than the cobalt jars... I'm also still having a hard tim believing there was 150g in there..

I hope the new stuff has the kinks worked out of it. I ordered prickley Pear and Blue Berry... 18 bux + shipping for 300g that tastes like nothing. I'm heart broken, as my first several jars of smiley had great flavor.

I would highly suggest that you take up online websites. If not, even if the product is better I wont be able to get my hands on it. You will also be cutting out a HUGE market and that's probably not the best idea. There is one store that carries tobbacco other than nakhla in all of Jacksonville FL. They are sooooo snoody they wont pick it up. It's called Nicotine in Jax fl. But good luck trying to sell it to them. I do all my HOOKAH shopping on-line. I hope you dont cut out online retailers.

BTW- Tangiers has minimal packaging and a GREAT product. He's an awesome guy, with an awesome product. He distibutes to Online retailers, they ship the items out quickly and promptly. Recieved my online order in 4 days. Not bad from Minnesota. to FL. (and 4th of july grrr) It's not the packaging that made me buy his product. His reviews by other members, his time spent on this boards, and his prices made me buy it. 250 for 11.00 bux is A heck of a lot better than 9 bux for 150g

I refuse to by HH shots at 1.75 ? i think it is? and I smoke HH on a regular basis. I wont buy the snacks for 5.99 unless they are made of gold. That's ridiculus. (I understand that price fluctuates but the possibility of paying 5.99 for 15 g? when i can buy 250 g of nakhla for 5.99 at my local bazzar is crazy.

Also wanted to say - i have purchased a lot of smileys over the past few months. I bought it from him even though the batches weren't consitant because I wanted to help him improve his product, give him feedback and he was a contributor both forums. Now I wont pay another 9.00 for it unless it's on the money with a money back guaruntee if it's NOT.

GLaDOS: "You euthanised your faithful companion cube more quickly than any test subject on record. Congratulations!"
Old July 9th, 2007, 07:17 PM
KoRnKitten
Moderator Kitteh

if anyone wants to "try" the smiley snaks..... they are going for 2 for 5.99 right now.... until midnight.

Old July 9th, 2007, 08:31 PM
cymptom
Hookah Newbie

It really doesn't matter how good this stuff is. Even if it gave me an orgasm with every puff, I wouldn't pay $6 for 15g. Hell, I wouldn't pay over $20 for 250g. Seriously people, don't do it -- don't even consider it. Once people start allowing themselves to spend that much money on one brand, up go the prices of the rest. Don't pay $6 for 15 grams -- don't pay it for 25 or 50 or 75 grams. To me, it only begins to make sense around $6 for 100g.

That said, I doubt there will be a major improvement in the shisha. Just a hunch, I guess. But the only way I'd try it is for free -- and if the distributor was confident in the quality of the shisha, I'm sure he'd be giving out free samples like almost every other brand has done.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook