Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Sweet is getting old

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old July 10th, 2007, 07:45 PM
Interpol
Hookah Newbie

Default Sweet is getting old

I was wondering if you guys know of any flavors that aren't so sweet. Even though SB sour apple is supposed to be sour its really sweet tasting and I'm getting sick of it. I really would like something else, maybe a little more musky.
Old July 10th, 2007, 08:05 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Default Re: Sweet is getting old

Ark Sous is great, Al Basha Rose and Jasmine from a lot of companies are really good too.
Old July 10th, 2007, 08:27 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

Ones I have tried, that weren't sweet, or not so much...

Al Waha - After Nine (one of my favorites)
Nakhla - Vanilla (Nakhla is dry and harder to get right, but if you do, it is very enjoyable)

http://www.hookahpro.com - Hookah Pro Community - Hookah Forum
~Favorite Hookah~ Khalil Mamoon Amer .. (she leans, so I call her Eileen)
~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Al Fakher Mint, Al Fakher Orange, Al Fakher Cinnamon
HookahPro.com .. powered by Elites!
Old July 10th, 2007, 11:07 PM
Interpol
Hookah Newbie

What kind of flavor is after nine?
Old July 10th, 2007, 11:13 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

It is a chocolate / mint blend, taste like an after nine choc/mint chocolate... Yummy with a little sweetness, but not much, IMO

~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Old July 11th, 2007, 07:35 AM
sammniamii
Hookah Guru

Al Fakher Esk apple is slightly more sour of an apple than some. Their Mint, Rose, and Coconut are very "true" life flavors and bare trying.

I say try some Al Fakher or Nakhla - those are the most non-sweet shisha I know. Nakhla Cocomint is like AfterNine, but stronger w/ less of a sweet taste.

Stay away from Layalina - love their shisha, but it's sweet as heck. Fusions too.

You could try some Tangiers, wasn't overly sweet - strong flavor and smoke. Certain Fumri's sound good, but I haven't tried them myself, so I couldn't vouch for the taste.
Old July 11th, 2007, 11:54 AM
Rudie Cant Fail
Hookah Pro

Dude, Cardamom.
I absolutely love that flavor, it's a spice. Has an almost cinnamon tingle, but tastes sort of nutty and mild.
Not what anyone would call sweet.
Give it a shot if you can find some, I've had the Nahkla (very good) and some brand called AL-Magd that I can't find anymore (also delicious). I'm not into floral flavors, yeck, but spice ones are good.

Also, coffee!! Al Waha Arabic Coffee is not sweet, has a nice roasted coffee flavor.
Nahkla makes one too, and from what I remember it was nice and smooth, very relaxing.
Old July 11th, 2007, 12:11 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

Yeah, I thought SB Irish Cream was not to sweet tasting..I have two 50gm samples left, if ya want to trade for one of em' to try?

Old July 11th, 2007, 01:39 PM
Lakemonster
Hookah Enthusiast

I think the trouble with not finding "other than sweet" shisha is due to the glycerin. It has a sweet flavor.... I would imagine that if you smoked high glycerin, unflavored shisha... that it would have a slight sweetness to it. Tobacco itself has a slight sweetness to it many times... depends on the strain and the curing.

I also imagine that it would be tough to market a non-fruit shisha. I dont think it would have the same sex appeal on the shelf. Imagine looking at a row of shisha flavors..... theres grape... theres orange.......apple.. and theres Kung Pao Chicken...... oh look.. they got peach!

But I know where you are going on some of the shisha being really sweet.... wish there was something different going on.

What I would really like to see... if could be done well, would be shishas representing some of pipe blends like Butter Rum Cavendish..... or a good english blend with the crisp kick of Latakia... something like Dunhill 965. Unfortunately, all the "Pipe" flavored shishas Ive had were just vanilla.

Rudie....... wow.... your one of the only other people Ive met that liked cardamom shisha. Wish I could find that stuff nowadays..... El Basha (I think) made that.... but I havent seen it in a coons age.

Old July 11th, 2007, 02:41 PM
Rudie Cant Fail
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakemonster

Rudie....... wow.... your one of the only other people Ive met that liked cardamom shisha. Wish I could find that stuff nowadays..... El Basha (I think) made that.... but I havent seen it in a coons age.

Hehe, I'm really the only person I've met who has liked it alot lol.
I but the Nahkla all the time, it's usually pretty great.
And a true representation of pipe tobaccos for shisha? What?! That'd be amazing. I tried doin it myself once with Whiskey Cavendish and honey, but it didnt fare too well haha.
Old July 11th, 2007, 10:58 PM
Interpol
Hookah Newbie

Sambooka, I'd love to trade for one of those Irish Cream samples since Tony's is always sold out.
Old July 12th, 2007, 07:25 AM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

Well it's yours, I got it sitting here at my feet right now! I have two samples, both double bagged, and ready to go! PM me some of the shishas you are willing to trade...

Old July 12th, 2007, 03:37 PM
Das_messiah
Hookah Newbie

fumari: fahkahfakhina, rose

Al waha: jasmine

Tangiers: horchata

SB: irish cream

Old July 12th, 2007, 06:05 PM
cymptom
Hookah Newbie

Nakhla Cardamon is great -- interesting on its own and a very powerful mixer. It's available at Hookah Company.

There are a lot of Tangiers flavors that aren't sweet: Kashmir, Blackthorn, Clove, Vanilla, Cinnamon, Red Tea...
Old July 14th, 2007, 12:41 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

The suggestions here are very good and frankly I too am tired of cloyingly sweet smoke. Nakhla makes a lot of great products that avoid the treacle taste so I recommend them as well. Personally, I am a big fan of Afzel products (most of which are not sweet tasting) and they have very good price which makes them even better. I strongly recommend the Ark Sous flavour by Al Fakher as well.
Old July 14th, 2007, 04:02 PM
sammniamii
Hookah Guru

Al Fakher Mango - smells sweet but isn't, but very nice real mango taste.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook