Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

How hookahs became extinct.

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old July 11th, 2007, 02:03 PM
Lakemonster
Hookah Enthusiast

Default How hookahs became extinct.

I was thinking today about the evolution of hookah. I began to wonder when the hookah might cease to be recognizable as such.

For the relatively short time I have been smoking hookah, theres been some major changes with the device. They seem to be getting shorter. The overall shape is changing. Seems theres a new whiz-bang device to add on every 15 minutes.... which alters the appearance radically or changes the way it is smoked in some minor way... the manufacturing has gone from hand crafted to the latest in high speed mass production.

What I think is gonna kill the hookah is that it will evolve into another creature.

Kind of like the what some scholars say happened to some of the dinosaurs..... they evolved into our common birds of today.

So basically, our hookahs now are kinda like the dinosaur. Tall, majestic creatures........

......that are evolving into chickens.

I can see myself being that grumpy old man years from now when some young whipper-snapper shows up with a thread about his "Killer hookah!!! Yo check da pics".... then you open it up to see an 9 inch pumpkin hookah with a 8 headed bowl and the vase says "BALLA" in faceted glass.
Old July 11th, 2007, 02:38 PM
Rudie Cant Fail
Hookah Pro

Default Re: How hookahs became extinct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakemonster

I can see myself being that grumpy old man years from now when some young whipper-snapper shows up with a thread about his "Killer hookah!!! Yo check da pics".... then you open it up to see an 9 inch pumpkin hookah with a 8 headed bowl and the vase says "BALLA" in faceted glass.
That is a most excellent observation.
Just recently, a friend of mine bought a light-up hookah with fish(??)around the stem. Fake plastic fish. It had a crap hose, and a metal bowl. I The little fake fish "swam" in bubbling water above the base. I couldnt believe it. He payed 80 bucks too.
I was just awestruck that
a)someone could invent such a piece of crap
b)anyone would buy it.

But ,like Joe Strummer said, "The Future is unwritten," lol.
Defend the faith!
Old July 11th, 2007, 02:56 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

Very interesting you post this Lake, cuz I was just thinking about this last night and today. I am in the market for a traditional hookah of yesterdays! I don't even know where to look? I would like to get a real deal one (handmade), or even one that is antique and made of brass. Khalil Maamoon is the closest I have found to traditional. SO I got one of those for now...but I would like a beautiful work of art, from the good ole' days!

It is distrurbing and sad to me to see the trend of hookahs moving towards the "bling", or the shrinking to little pumpkins!

http://www.hookahpro.com - Hookah Pro Community - Hookah Forum
~Favorite Hookah~ Khalil Mamoon Amer .. (she leans, so I call her Eileen)
~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Al Fakher Mint, Al Fakher Orange, Al Fakher Cinnamon
HookahPro.com .. powered by Elites!
Old July 11th, 2007, 05:05 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Excellent thread Lake!

The trends you pointed out are pretty bad but my guess is that a lot of super trendy types that buy the sort of junk you are talking about will find something else to be into with a year. When that happens normal smokers like us will remain.
Old July 12th, 2007, 07:03 AM
Seth_DeNightshade
Hookah Nut

It's interesting you say this Lake.

It's very true - the number of pointless hookah's available. Bloody fish and that monsterous thing from MYA recerntly (the pimp)

But i guess this follows a pattern of any product that has both history and appeal to the younger generation.

Us older smokers are going to allways be traditional. The youngesters will have all the mod crap.

Interesting point to add - The older older smokers had much the same opinion about all this 'adding fruit and crap' LOL

Sethie D
Old July 12th, 2007, 10:26 AM
sammniamii
Hookah Guru

Hookahs becoming the new "fad" both hurts and helps the hookah crowd - but mainly hurts it in the long run.

It can help by letting more people get used to it, using them and enjoying them. But I think like all "fads" it eventualy gets to the point where it most definatly starts causing harm to the orginial idea or item.

Even the modern hookahs are pushing it already - even MYA, and they do make some very nice looking hookahs. I personally love the E or syrian style - I love the history and tradition. It's part of the alure and mystery of the hookah culture (and many cultures who use them).

Many of the people I know who smoke hookahs don't have traditional set-ups, they have the el'cheapo hookahs they bought for WAY too much money (or they have the tiny ones). Many think the tradation ones are too pricey or difficult to use - I try to educate as many as I find to the truths (and dispell the myths) as I can - hopign they spread it to others.

But the "downward" trend in hookah designs do have me alittle sorry that they have altered it to a cheap commoditiy w/ planned obsolence to it.
Old July 12th, 2007, 10:45 AM
DarkD3vil
Hookah Nut

i want to own a traditional eqypitan but i havent found one that really really really strikes me fancy yet... thats what i look for in hookahs now.. and i bought a qt because i needed something small for me on the go.
Old July 12th, 2007, 01:27 PM
merkaba
Hookah Nut

the next stop of the evolutionary path of the sacred hookah is more then likely a decoration or lamp.
Old July 12th, 2007, 04:15 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

The good side to the rise of junk rigs is that the people that buy them will discover they don't work well pretty much forcing them to either give up the whole thing or look into quality products. Of course when anything becomes trendy it draws the attention of idiots and people looking to follow the heard. Those of use that have a bit more knowledge of this stuff need to try to teach these people to avoid the crap and learn something about beauty and pleasure of narghile smoking.

Finding traditional rigs is a tough thing in the states but a few good suppliers exist. Our own Jimmy Z has sources for hand made rigs and Nazar has family members bringing back family made stuff from Turkey. Even if you can't get a genuine hand built bit of narghile art for a price you are comfortable with high quality Egyptian and Syrian stuff can be had in the U.S. for reasonable prices with a little bit of work.
Old July 13th, 2007, 01:39 PM
KoRnKitten
Moderator Kitteh

Send a message via AIM to KoRnKitten Send a message via Yahoo to KoRnKitten

I agree. Hookahs are evolving. Dont get me wrong some hookahs (i personally love my stargate) are going wayyyyyyy to modern.

This fish hookah = lame.

I dont see the point. They are turning into something that is appealing to the wrong crowds in order to get more sales.

plus hookahs aren't lasting as long as they should now do to quality issues. (mass production vs hand crafted)

GLaDOS: "You euthanised your faithful companion cube more quickly than any test subject on record. Congratulations!"
Old July 13th, 2007, 01:56 PM
Lakemonster
Hookah Enthusiast

Hookah quality is in downgrade right now... the chinese rigs are using quite a bit of screw together parts. and using threaded aluminum downstems. Even MYA has this problematic construction.

Ive found that with hookahs, threads seize and corrode like mad, breaking them down. Seems that aluminum is really bad about this.... take the chinese and MYA stem cores for instance.... the aluminum core tube on mine is crumbling..... I dont think shisha juice and aluminum get along very well. Some of the Stargate users have had rust-out problems with the downstem connection.

Strangely, the three hookahs that I have that have stems which are assemblies, a Mya Bohemian.... A QT and break down "persian" hookah are my most problematic, or have become unserviceable till I get around to making new parts.
Old July 13th, 2007, 02:09 PM
nofrendo
Hookah Nut

I talked to a local shop owner who until recently had stocked some pretty nice hookahs. High quality stuff. Well now all he has are hookahs that all look alike, and the stems are all ridiculous colors like purple, neon green... well that's it. They're really cheap pieces of shit. I was like... what's up man? You used to have good hookahs.

He tells me: People want cheaper hookahs, i give them cheaper hookahs.

It's just not viewed as an art, just something to smoke.

That sucks ass.

He told me that's why he stopped stocking Al Waha and Romman and switched to King Moassel, while making AW seem like the premium shisha and overcharging for it...

Oh well, I get the hook up cause I've been coming there for so long... He gives me AW(when i do buy it) at the players price

cause im like eyyy man DO YOU GOT THAT JOOG OR NOT?!?! Show ya boy some love, man whats up?
Old July 13th, 2007, 04:21 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Thanks to lake for raising this great topic.

I am simply amazed that someone will drop 30-50USD for a hunk of crap made with Chinese slave labour that will give lousy smoking sessions and fall apart in a year or two yet spend several hundred dollars on shisha and coals bought from some price gouging retail place like what NF mentioned over the next year or two.

I think that a lot of crap being peddled these days rests on the greater fool theory and so far that method is working like a charm. Still, the people that buy junk are mostly like just lemmings riding the latest fad and will give up on it in a year or so. I liken it to the cigar boom when endless labels sprung up taking ordinary (but decent) cigars and giving them fantastic packing and obscene prices. Within 5 years just about all of those labels have vanished as rubes found for fashionable stuff to get ripped off on.

What we need to do is educate people about what makes a narghile, shisha or coal worth buying and how to use those things. Educated consumers won't buy brightly coloured junk and they will enjoy our hobby a lot more then then the people that buy fish hookahs and sultan junk.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook