Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Brass? Good, Bad, Indifferent

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old June 15th, 2008, 08:49 PM
AlphonseBojagle
Hookah Newbie

Default Brass? Good, Bad, Indifferent

I am purchasing a second hookah (most likely a syrian but I can still be persuaded otherwise) and have been looking at the all brass syrians at ******* Hookah. They look really nice and if their from CH I can be assured that they are quality.

So what is the big deal about brass hookahs. Does anyone know the pros and cons? Do they require more extensive cleaning? How do they smoke? Is there anything besides looking cool that would be and incentive to buy one?

I have never smoked from a brass hookah, and I don't know any one personally who owns one.

Input would be greatly appreciated, Thank you.
Old June 15th, 2008, 09:16 PM
abu ronin
Hookah Master

Send a message via Yahoo to abu ronin
Default Re: Brass? Good, Bad, Indifferent

brass makes for a sturdy, not to mention great looking shisha.I don't know of any downsides to brass.The rigs at CH appear to be top quality.In fact, if you check the product review section you may find a review. I'm a big fan of syrian narghille! They smoke as good as any egyptian I've tried and tend to be much nicer to look at,imo.
Old June 15th, 2008, 09:31 PM
Kwikwi
Hookah Guru

There are a couple members here that own a CH Syrian. I believe there may be a review or two about these rigs. Brass, having zero iron, does not rust. Making it prefect for water pipes. I have two brass and one stainless. None are easier to clean than the other just because of metal composition. Pretty much it comes down to aesthetics, what do you like to look at. My Syrians smoke as good as my stainless Egyptian, but look MUCH better.
Old June 15th, 2008, 09:35 PM
Lakemonster
Hookah Enthusiast

Brass components for hookahs are usually cast. A thicker, heavier and generally more durable in nature.

There are some Egyptian hookahs from back in the day that were/are made of spun brass components.... they can be much more easily dented or damaged.
Old June 15th, 2008, 09:51 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

No such thing as a stainless steel hookah. Except the hobohookah that is.

I like brass because of the way it feels. It makes for s sturdy, heavy ornamental stem that Egyptian stems can't rival.

Also, the Syrians at CH have a wide gauge hose port hole, just like in a KM, which allows them to have the exact same pull as a KM, smooth and easy. They purge very well too.

Also, I prefer brass downstems because they last longer than steel ones. Steel ones rust after one single use (if water is trapped in it somewhere) and corrode quicker then brass.

If Stainless Steel hookahs were in fact Stainless Steel, then rusting would never be a problem. But since no steel in hookahs is galvanized, it's not stainless.
Old June 15th, 2008, 09:54 PM
Scoop
Hookah Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenSilk View Post

I like brass because of the way it feels. It makes for s sturdy, heavy ornamental stem that Egyptian stems can't rival.

Also, the Syrians at CH have a wide gauge hose port hole, just like in a KM, which allows them to have the exact same pull as a KM, smooth and easy. They purge very well too.

Also, I prefer brass downstems because they last longer than steel ones. Steel ones rust after one single use (if water is trapped in it somewhere) and corrode quicker then brass.

If Stainless Steel hookahs were in fact Stainless Steel, then rusting would never be a problem. But since no steel in hookahs is galvanized, it's not stainless.
the mzs and kms are mostly made of stainless steel. its 108 stainless steel (the lowest grade) which allows it to corrode. *** stainless steel is very hard to work with and is not used for hookahs.

brass hookahs from ch are awesome
Old June 15th, 2008, 09:58 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

I've had both a KM and a MZ rust after their first use.

The flange on the bottom of the KM downstem holds hidden water much too well..
Old June 15th, 2008, 10:23 PM
Scoop
Hookah Guru

well they really are stainless steel. shit SS is still SS
Old June 15th, 2008, 10:40 PM
Rob416
Hookah Guru

Send a message via AIM to Rob416

i just purchased a brass 26'' syrian from ******* Hookah.. actually i got that green one in the picture..it works great everything is awsome.. smokes amazing from the hose it came with and my km hose i also got. only thing is that the grommet for the base of the stem was a lil small soo its not as sturdy as it should be but 2morrow im putting electrical tap around the base of the stem then the grommet on top and everything should be fine.. but other then that its a great rig..deff look into it
Old June 16th, 2008, 05:59 AM
larrypzlast
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to larrypzlast

I have a cast brass Social Smoke Syrian. I have been using it just about daily since Feb. and it shows NO signs of deterioration as of yet. I am a big fan of the Syrian myself! Right now I see no disadvantages. It is durable and doesn't like to corrode :P
Old June 16th, 2008, 07:17 AM
FURsAKeN
Hookah Enthusiast

Brass corrodes, it creates vertigres (green to blue chalky build up) when it does. Only reason why most people haven't seen any signs of corrsion is because the protective plating/finish (typicaly electrolitic process) hasn't worn off yet. Some finishes and platings last longer then others.
Almost all metals corrode, granted there are some alloys and compositions that have yet to corrode (man made of course). Stainless Steel (CRES) is only has good as it grade, and scoop was very right about it. CRES from china and other low grade areas have a higher tendency to rust, only CRES that holds up to the beating is medical grade. But even those types have to be replaced every 15-20 years due to break down in its composition.
CRES can be machined and heat forged every nicely, only problem is medical grade costs and arm and leg, not to mention the fabrication side cost would go up due to its low ductility and resiliance. So the reason it is hard to find pure CRES is simply, cost effectiveness.
Galvanized Stainless Steel? Zen, seriously.. That zinc coating would really fuck someone up. Besides there is no point to Galvanize CRES, only Carbon Steels and other forms of Steel.

/root

Last edited by FURsAKeN; June 16th, 2008 at 07:23 AM.
Old June 16th, 2008, 07:27 AM
larrypzlast
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to larrypzlast

Quote:
Originally Posted by FURsAKeN View Post
Brass corrodes, it creates vertigres (green to blue chalky build up) when it does. Only reason why most people haven't seen any signs of corrsion is because the protective plating/finish (typicaly electrolitic process) hasn't worn off yet. Some finishes and platings last longer then others.
Almost all metals corrode, granted there are some alloys and compositions that have yet to corrode (man made of course). Stainless Steel (CRES) is only has good as it grade, and scoop was very right about it. CRES from china and other low grade areas have a higher tendency to rust, only CRES that holds up to the beating is medical grade. But even those types have to be replaced every 15-20 years due to break down in its composition.
CRES can be machined and heat forged every nicely, only problem is medical grade costs and arm and leg, not to mention the fabrication side cost would go up due to its low ductility and resiliance. So the reason it is hard to find pure CRES is simply, cost effectiveness.
Galvanized Stainless Steel? Zen, seriously.. That zinc coating would really fuck someone up. Besides there is no point to Galvanize CRES, only Carbon Steels and other forms of Steel.
I stand corrected, I guess I am lucky enough to still have my finish on the brass. I know shit when it comes to metals.
Old June 16th, 2008, 07:34 AM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

Quote:
I've had both a KM and a MZ rust after their first use.

The flange on the bottom of the KM downstem holds hidden water much too well..
Well you are one unluck mutha! Cuz I have had my KM for a year and a half and it is my primary hookah. Looks as good as the day I bought it, probably even cleaner then the day I bought it! I take good care of her and wash her after every use. I also dry her as well. Has a brass core stem ...

Personally, I like KMs and think they provide a fantastic smoke! I would go with a KM over a syrian ... as a first pic. As a second pic, I would consider a syrian.

http://www.hookahpro.com - Hookah Pro Community - Hookah Forum
~Favorite Hookah~ Khalil Mamoon Amer .. (she leans, so I call her Eileen)
~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Al Fakher Mint, Al Fakher Orange, Al Fakher Cinnamon
HookahPro.com .. powered by Elites!
Old June 16th, 2008, 07:36 AM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

A note on what Fursaken said ...

I use to turn my hookah upside down and let it air dry (fit in a spot between my cabinets upside down) anyway, the way it would air dry the water would sit in the bell and turn green gunk! But since then, I have been turning it right side up and drying it as best as I could before allowing it to air dry the rest of the way .. works like a champ!

http://www.hookahpro.com - Hookah Pro Community - Hookah Forum
~Favorite Hookah~ Khalil Mamoon Amer .. (she leans, so I call her Eileen)
~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Al Fakher Mint, Al Fakher Orange, Al Fakher Cinnamon
HookahPro.com .. powered by Elites!
Old June 16th, 2008, 10:07 AM
sammniamii
Hookah Guru

I have a Brass Engineer hookah... one section on the stem (downtube) does get the green crap Fur was talking about. When I clean the brass one, I coat the thing (inside and out) in a very light coat of Olive Oil. I tend to do this to my other Syrains as well as I'm not sure if they are Brass cored or rusting (inside has a red-brown tint to the metal that will NOT clean off).

The best thing about solid (or mostly solid) brass hookahs... they weigh a TON! If I ever to have to defend myself while smoking.... the other guy looses, hands DOWN!
Old June 16th, 2008, 02:21 PM
Scoop
Hookah Guru

my friend told me to do the following on my brass hookahs (the unplated ones)

if you start getting that green chalky stuff on the outside, you need to get like 4 grids of sandpaper, and sand the crap out of it. it will remove the section of the metal that is corroding (and it wont just go away), then take some brass-o to it.

for the downstem, he suggests a steel wool (make sure not to use water at all right now) attached to a clothes hanger or brush, and scrap the inside up a lot. then use lemon juice/baking soda only.

he confirmed what fursaken said about using anything but baking soda/ lemon juice (on brass). Don't do it...
Old June 16th, 2008, 02:26 PM
Lakemonster
Hookah Enthusiast

I remove tarnish or oxidation on brass with a muslin wheel and jewelers rouge....
Old June 16th, 2008, 06:35 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:

not trying to be rude or anything like that but, what the heck?

stainless steel can still rust pretty easily depending on the alloy and what chemicals it is exposed to, galvanized steel and stainless are 2 very different things. stainless resists corrosion because of the alloy elements in it, galvanized is coated and zinc which prevents the corrosion but galvy AFAIK is not food safe and i know if it is heated to much its very bad... plus galvy usually looks really bad.

brass will get a patina on it as apposed to rust out, but normally (depending on location) patinas on brass and coper come about much faster than rust.

but it really comes down to, get what you want, learn how to clean it from here or other hookah sites and then go and learn how to clean and take care of what ever material it is from a metals information source... and when all else fails, wash it well then blow it out with compressed air or co2

-matt
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook