Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

What is in Hookah Coals? I need a chemist!

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old July 22nd, 2007, 05:37 PM
ASUSEAN
Hookah Nut

Default What is in Hookah Coals? I need a chemist!

Hi,

I am doing a report on the affect of hookah coals in a human body and need a chemist to tell me the formula. More specifically, the make up of three kings coals considering they all the most popular quick lights. I am willing to make a contract and pay for the work, just let me know!!

Thanks,

Sean
Old July 22nd, 2007, 06:10 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Default Re: What is in Hookah Coals? I need a chemist!

I can't refer you to a chemist nor give you a detailed breakdown of what is in quick lights coals but you should note that having a chemist perform the required tests won't help you determine the health issues related to narghile use. In part this is due to the vast range of smoking methods, the size of the narghile, if the smoker inhales, the sort of substance smoked and the amount and exact brand of instant charcoal used and the fact that youíre looking at a very complicated, multi-variate health issue that canít be addressed by simple chemical analysis. I mention the chemical composition point because I have seen nothing to indicate that the type of accelerants used in narghile coal is chemically the same and in fact, a friend of mine works as a chemist for a charcoal company and the exact composition of the accelerants used is a closely guarded trade secret. You may also want to consider that when using instant lights correctly you need to wait for all of the accelerants to burn away and some narghile users donít do that.

Anyway, I hope that your study has more academic honesty then most of the studies dealing with cigarettes have although I assume you know of some of the same cases in which studies that came to the wrong conclusion resulted in stunted research careers. I have posted some stuff about the differences in the prevalence of supposedly tobacco related health troubles with socio-economic status and ethnicity which plays a pretty big roll in these issues. If your interested in such things look up the various articles I have posted here on the topic.
Old July 22nd, 2007, 06:18 PM
ASUSEAN
Hookah Nut

yea it is just a start to my study but if someone can get me the exact amount of each substance than I will have a couple grand to put in their pocket
Old July 22nd, 2007, 06:26 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Well what I will do is ask my chum if he would be willing to do so. I assume that as long as the brand he examines is not the same as one sold by his company it shouldn't be a problem. Just remember that a serious study of this sort of thing (excluding the health issue) would likely involve 6 or more brands of instant light charcoal being examined so you could be looking at real money. Any sort of health study related to charcoal would be extremely expensive (as in millions of dollars) so keep that in mind.

If you pm me in a few days i'll see what I can find out.
Old July 22nd, 2007, 07:06 PM
ASUSEAN
Hookah Nut

sounds good, i know a study could cost millions but as of right now all I want to know is what truly is in a quick light charcoal and the amounts of each substance. i appreciate the help and will PM you soon!
Old July 23rd, 2007, 07:34 AM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

very interesting, I would can't wait to read this! Will you post your report Asusean...for us all to read?

http://www.hookahpro.com - Hookah Pro Community - Hookah Forum
~Favorite Hookah~ Khalil Mamoon Amer .. (she leans, so I call her Eileen)
~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Al Fakher Mint, Al Fakher Orange, Al Fakher Cinnamon
HookahPro.com .. powered by Elites!
Old July 23rd, 2007, 10:26 AM
sammniamii
Hookah Guru

It would be nice to know what was in those coals, but I don't think it would be accurate - every maker probably uses a different recepie, plus who knows if it changes from batch to batch....

And in the long run, it will probably cost a mint to test all the different types/brands of coals out there.

But as I started off with - it would be nice to know what's in the different brands.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook