Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

shisha addictiveness

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old July 15th, 2008, 09:03 PM
shishasmoke1904
Hookah Nut

Default shisha addictiveness

Is Al Fakher or any other kind of shisha besides soex addictive? Thanks.
Old July 15th, 2008, 10:35 PM
Rob416
Hookah Guru

Send a message via AIM to Rob416
Default Re: shisha addictiveness

all tobacco probucts are addictive bc tobacco naturally produces nicotine.. but its not addictive to the extent as cigarettes bc they ad more chemicals and nicotine into cigarettes.. shisha's are all natural tobacco no extra chemicals and no added nicotine so its all the natural plant.
Old July 15th, 2008, 10:44 PM
blckngld760
Hookah Pro

i basically smoke everyday and i never have a nicotine fit...but thats just me idk
Old July 15th, 2008, 11:23 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

I've written about this subject a lot and rather then repost the links and references again i'll just give a quick summing up. The term addictive is wildly and loosely applied to anything enjoyable that carries health risks. In a clinical sense chemical dependencies entail all sorts of deablitating withdrawl effects that simply are not present in tobacco. Unlike narcotics tobacco use is typically ended without prescription drugs, medical internment or professional help of any kind. The simple reality is that over 90% of former smokers quit without any of the formentioned which means that it is uniquely abandonable and unique among "additictive" substances. Like everything else in the mass media reporting on tobacco sensational, poorly researched, biased and wildly over stated. If you are interested in tobacco I suggest that you start by reading the excellent www.forces.org site and perhaps some introductory texts on emperical method which I could remend if you are so interested.
Old July 15th, 2008, 11:24 PM
yeags777
Hookah Pro

________
RVF400

Last edited by yeags777; February 4th, 2011 at 12:39 AM.
Old July 15th, 2008, 11:28 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by blckngld760 View Post
i basically smoke everyday and i never have a nicotine fit...but thats just me idk
From time to time I give up smoking for a few weeks just to see if doing so effects me in any way and so far it has not. In fact, according to my surgeon my cardio-vascular health is better then most people 20 years younger. I don't inhale when I smoke but I've been a smoker for something like 35 years at this. point.

You guys really should look into the comparative "smoking related illnesses" across demographic and national lines. It'll floor you.
Old July 15th, 2008, 11:47 PM
shishasmoke1904
Hookah Nut

alright, so if I smoke just on the weekends, then there isn't much chance of getting addicted to nicotine?
Old July 16th, 2008, 12:04 AM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

I encourage moderation in tobacco use. I also encourage people to actually know something about the research and how the conclusions are reached. Clearly smoking entails significant, although overstated risks, and people need to know what those risks are make an informed, adult decision prior to smoking. Personally I don’t inhale because I don’t see the point and I think it adds an additional risk factor. I also encourage people to periodically give up tobacco just to see how doing so effects them and then act accordingly. As to the risks of narghile use I’d hazzard a guess that it’s less harmful then cigarettes but given how shockingly bad tobacco research is and how politicized the whole subject matter is I’d suggest extreme caution when checking out the latest hysterical report about the evils of our favorite leaf.

An excellent example of the dishonest and shoddy nature of anti-smoking research is found in this little blurb here http://www.lcolby.com/addendum.htm
Old July 16th, 2008, 12:29 AM
JillyIsJustKidding
Deleted Per User Request

I think that hookah isn't AS addictive as cigarettes.

But, it is still addictive in a way, I mean it still IS tobacco with natural nicotine in it. I do have those days when I really wanna smoke and I give in :P

I have gone days without smoking hookah and I do get some urges to smoke. Its not in such a way that I'd get crabby if I don't get my "nicotine fix" lol but I can't help but notice it.
Old July 16th, 2008, 01:17 AM
dakingkevin23
Hookah Guru

Send a message via AIM to dakingkevin23

If you smoke less than once a day, you should not feel addicted. If you feel you are, chew some gum or something.
Old July 16th, 2008, 02:00 AM
SaraaiKar
Hookah Enthusiast

Tonight was the first time I've smoked in about two weeks. When I wasn't smoking I did want to set up, but I didn't really have time to and I felt perfectly fine. But I do really really really like smoking, but I wouldn't call it addicting. This hobby is to expensive to be addicting anyway
Old July 16th, 2008, 03:51 PM
shishasmoke1904
Hookah Nut

alright thanks guys, i'll just find out on my own once I get my own hookah but i'm in no rush to start.
Old July 16th, 2008, 03:53 PM
shishasmoke1904
Hookah Nut

Also, how is Soex as in terms of smoke because it is nicotine, tobacco, and tar free compared to other shisha with those in it?
Old July 16th, 2008, 04:06 PM
blckngld760
Hookah Pro

soex suucks...dont waste your money and time on that
Old July 16th, 2008, 08:37 PM
Spunjah413
Hookah Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Spunjah413

I don't feel addicted at all, but i smoke at most once a day and usually only a few times a week if that.
Old July 16th, 2008, 09:27 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Don't get so freaked about the nicotine. Even if you don't read all the criticisms of whole addiction matter you should keep in mind that most shisha is washed and has very little nicotine. If you don't inhale but instead just taste the smoke as you would a cigar it really doe not matter how much nicotine in the tobacco because if you don't inhale it can't enter your bloodstream.

As to so called "herbal" shisha it tastes like crap and lasts only 20-30 minutes. Honestly I have yet to see anything that indicates that smoking faux "herbal" shisha ( shreded & spent sugar cane + glycerin, corn syrup and flavourings/preservatives) is some how less harmful then tobacco.

Read some stuff that i've posted here on tobacco research and get back to me when you can.
Old July 16th, 2008, 10:22 PM
Davis18
Hookah Nut

your not going to get addicted threw hookah....but you most likely will get addicted to wanting to smoke your hookah because you like it so much..like me but don't get it confused i have been smoking 4 or 5 days a week for maybe the last 3 or 4 months but the last 2 or 3 weeks have not had one smoke...as i want to smoke hookah and taste the wonderful flavors I am addicted to the experience and flavor rather than the tobacco itself
Old July 16th, 2008, 10:29 PM
SaraaiKar
Hookah Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis18 View Post
your not going to get addicted threw hookah....but you most likely will get addicted to wanting to smoke your hookah because you like it so much..like me but don't get it confused i have been smoking 4 or 5 days a week for maybe the last 3 or 4 months but the last 2 or 3 weeks have not had one smoke...as i want to smoke hookah and taste the wonderful flavors I am addicted to the experience and flavor rather than the tobacco itself
Yeah I used to smoke everyday man. Mostly out of the excitement of something new and the fact I had nothing to do all day. I got sick of it for about a month, so I stopped for a bit. I smoke two or three times a week now and it makes it a little more special. Problem is that I get sick of flavors pretty quick, eats up my bank account fast.
Old July 16th, 2008, 11:12 PM
Rob416
Hookah Guru

Send a message via AIM to Rob416

haha soo truu.. you get addicted to the excitment.. of smoking.. rather then the tobacco itsself.. you will see once u first sstart smoking all you are going to want to do is smoke bc its fun its a great hobby.. jsut that it puts a hole in ur pocket.. and it will die down once u smoke alot thats why i smoke maybe every other day or sumthing but when my friends are over we smoke alot because for them its still a thrill..
Old July 17th, 2008, 08:40 AM
SaraaiKar
Hookah Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob416 View Post
haha soo truu.. you get addicted to the excitment.. of smoking.. rather then the tobacco itsself.. you will see once u first sstart smoking all you are going to want to do is smoke bc its fun its a great hobby.. jsut that it puts a hole in ur pocket.. and it will die down once u smoke alot thats why i smoke maybe every other day or sumthing but when my friends are over we smoke alot because for them its still a thrill..
yup, my friends used to do it everynight, we all brought our hookahs to each other's houses, therefore there was no passing of hoses. Lol we kept trying to outdo each other by buying the best stuff. My friend got a 44 inch hookah to outdo us and I kind of just laughed.
Old July 17th, 2008, 11:52 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

nicotine is addictive, if you have susceptibility to addictive things it will be addictive to you, if you do not have it then it may not be addictive to you.

all the people i know that smoke hookah and dont do other tobacco products dont jones for hookah like some one would for a cig

-matt
Old July 18th, 2008, 12:43 AM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Again i'd have to say that I object to describing nicotine as addictive for the simple reason that in clinical terms the withdraw symptoms one sees associated with narcotics is very rare. Unlike genuinely addictive substances tobacco has been given up by the vast majority of people that have used it regularly without recourse to medical services or products of any kind which can't be said of the various illegal substances it's compared to. Smoking is obviosuly pleasrable and habit forming and since it does entail a substanial (although overstated health risk) one should do it in moderation after carefully considering the actually risks and critiqueing the mainstream litrature on the matter.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook